Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Three!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hell yes it is.  Dehydration and heat exhaustion, not to mention snakes and dogs that just run the fuck away.  Then you get guys who want to cool off their dogs by pouring rubbing alcohol all over them.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
more hunting retrievers will die in the next few days from being in the field than all the rest combined.

remember that hunters with dogs.

Really?

That's a thing uh?

Hell yes it is.  Dehydration and heat exhaustion, not to mention snakes and dogs that just run the fuck away.  Then you get guys who want to cool off their dogs by pouring rubbing alcohol all over them.  

I hunt with a guy that has a chocolate lab that is a hunting machine. He was professionally trained to hunt ducks, but he retrieves dove just as well. My buddy goes to great lengths to keep him from getting overheated, because if he didn't that dog would retrieve until he dropped dead.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tomorrow. Dove, quail and grouse all open. We saw more grouse than deer over the weekend bowhunting. I'll be using my new to me 20 gauge Montefeltro.

http://webpages.charter.net/optimator/Arfcom/Monte1.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful gun! I want a left-handed Beretta in a bad way. At least this year I'll get to hunt with my 20 gauge Browning Cynergy Field. The last two years I've let my son use it since he didn't have his own shotgun since he is only eleven. I bought him a Winchester SX3 last October on his birthday so this will be the first year he gets to use it dove hunting.

My Cynergy when it was new in the Spring of 2010:
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
My Civie IP at Ft Wolters was a dove hunter and loved to chase them with the OH-23 had some fun rides with that guy
Col US Army reserve too...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I should have fucking gone out. my dad limited in like 30 minutes. HAHAHA. Fuck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still at work, post some pics up guys!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
South Texas Dove Season (South of I-10) doesn't open until the 18th.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Our season opens Saturday. I can't wait. I've always sucked at bird hunting, but I took a class this year and it greatly improved my shooting. I also picked up a new Beretta A300 to replace my old 870.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm still out. I think I have around 8? I lost count and have been throwing them in the ice chest.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, and I SUCK at hitting flying birds

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Killt me 15 of them critters today. Let the grilling commence!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

WHAT!

I thought is was sept 1st for all in the U.S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still have almost a month here but the ol' trusty A5 will be ready.

WHAT!

Nope its the 5th here. I can't wait, didn't get to hunt last year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]
pffttt amateurs.... I started just raising my own
much easier than actually having to get out and go hunt

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shoot where they are flying to not where they are........LukeDuke would have been done in 15 minutes at our spot today. I was under wires and had to wait for birds to clear them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shoot where they are flying to not where they are........LukeDuke would have been done in 15 minutes at our spot today. I was under wires and had to wait for birds to clear them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. I just had trouble. It's been 3 years since I went last. Took about a box and a half before I got my leads dialed in. Then I start making some pretty impressive shots. Had a good 70 yards shot downhill. Hit him at an angle. Had another one that was easily another 70 yards or so slight downhill going away. Another about 25 yards going for parallel.  

i cleaned up today with 10 brought home and 2 I couldn't find. Was out for about 5 hours but I didn't get set up until about 0900 and they weren't rely flying any more so I was catching stragglers or kicking them out of trees. I could go back out and finish my limit but I'm beat and hungry and the wife is coming home early
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AAAAAAAARGH!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I 28'ed my doves this morning in Nebraska. Bit slow, we had some cooler weather move birds out but fun none the less.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Shot a blue and ruffed grouse this morning along with a rabbit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Only got 2 today.  

Still had plenty of fun.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Went out this afternoon. Huge storm blew them elsewhere. Didnt see a single bird.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Went out this afternoon. Huge storm blew them elsewhere. Didnt see a single bird.
View Quote

That sucks. I was wore out and hungry but I could have bagged a few more but was just done. My brother didn't go out until about 1 and ended up limiting out in about 2-3 hours. Said there were more birds then he could shoot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#22]
First time actually hunting for dove, other than once shot one while out rabbit hunting, but first time that it was the only reason I was out in the field.

Bagged three and fired a lot more shots for them than I would like to admit.  My shotgun skills are rusty, but had a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
First time actually hunting for dove, other than once shot one while out rabbit hunting, but first time that it was the only reason I was out in the field.

Bagged three and fired a lot more shots for them than I would like to admit.  My shotgun skills are rusty, but had a lot of fun.
View Quote

Seriously, I only had 4 birds after a box and a half. My last have a box I got my last 8. Been 3 years since I shot at anything flying.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm jealous of all of you guys with places to go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Doves aren't the easiest things to hit.  Clays don't hear the pellets whistling toward them and dodge the shot or fly erratically like doves.  

Learned long ago to bring a whole case of shells.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
IMHO, I think doves are to stupid to be hunted...
View Quote

Mortality rate is the same whether they are hunted or not, so not like we're killing off the dumb ones.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes. It is time.

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/pikappa167/media/94E33094-1B31-41E7-9DD7-2B59361B7F78-3689-000001B0DC3901EF_zps02644ef7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/pikappa167/94E33094-1B31-41E7-9DD7-2B59361B7F78-3689-000001B0DC3901EF_zps02644ef7.jpg</a>
View Quote

WHERE?!?! Come on man, don't tell me private land
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I 28'ed my doves this morning in Nebraska. Bit slow, we had some cooler weather move birds out but fun none the less.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd215/gooseabuser/IMG_20150901_100035979.jpg
View Quote

I love the 28.

Except that 28 gauge shells are never "on sale".  Anywhere!!

Damned good thing for MEC loaders.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#29]
How long do you soak them for?

I got them in salt water, usually do about a full day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I finally go to go up for a little while after work. I ended up with 3 quail and 2 grouse. I love bird season
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you really want to feel bad about your wing shooting? I watched a video last year where a guy was in Argentina, I think, shooting dove with a bow and arrow. That dude has skills!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Then there were the guys on our local news tonite, busted for:
Hunting dove two days before opening day
Over bait
With a ground blind fashioned out of pot plants
In possession of drug para
In possession of protected hawk feathers
In possession of over fifty dove
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Then there were the guys on our local news tonite, busted for:
Hunting dove two days before opening day
Over bait
With a ground blind fashioned out of pot plants
In possession of drug para
In possession of protected hawk feathers
In possession of over fifty dove
View Quote

I think they batted 1,000
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Doves aren't the easiest things to hit.  Clays don't hear the pellets whistling toward them and dodge the shot or fly erratically like doves.  

Learned long ago to bring a whole case of shells.  
View Quote

This, and to improve my chances I say "pull" under my breath.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I have never been dove hunting....soooo....do you just basically stand there out in the weeds/corn/sunflower/whatever, and wait for them to fly by or overhead and blast them?

Is there some other modus operandi?

Anything you can do to improve your chances?

I always see those dove decoys at Walmart, and I kinda chuckle to myself.

And are you all dressing them out and cooking them?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Not a bad opening day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have never been dove hunting....soooo....do you just basically stand there out in the weeds/corn/sunflower/whatever, and wait for them to fly by or overhead and blast them? I sit in a shaded area preferably, and sometimes behind a little camo netting. And it isn't as easy as just "blasting" them. They're fast and can change direction in a heartbeat.

Is there some other modus operandi? None that I know of.

Anything you can do to improve your chances? Not be a crappy shot? Seriously, you need to be quick.

I always see those dove decoys at Walmart, and I kinda chuckle to myself. I bought a Mojo dove decoy this year to try out. My buddy that I hunt with has used one for the last few years and they seem to work.

And are you all dressing them out and cooking them? I fillet the meat off the bone and let it soak in Italian dressing a few hours. Then I put a few jalapeno peppers in between the pieces of meat, wrap in bacon, and secure the bacon with a toothpick. Then grill on my old charcoal grill for a little while. Some people put sour cream in along with the jalapenos, but I don't do that.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Made it out yesterday. My 15 year old son, brother, and I got limits. Lots of birds down bewteen Casa Grade and Maricopa. Made it out again this morning with the other son before school/work. Only had an hour to hunt so we hunted in Queen Creek, but manged to scrath out another 8 birds and 2 for my 12 year old son. It's been a good year so far.  

My son with my Beretta A390. That thing is abosolute death to dove and ducks. I was going old school with a CZ side-by-side 20 gauge.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Dove always remind me of the A-6s flying in Flight of the Intruder.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never been dove hunting....soooo....do you just basically stand there out in the weeds/corn/sunflower/whatever, and wait for them to fly by or overhead and blast them? I sit in a shaded area preferably, and sometimes behind a little camo netting. And it isn't as easy as just "blasting" them. They're fast and can change direction in a heartbeat.

Anything you can do to improve your chances? Not be a crappy shot? Seriously, you need to be quick.

I always see those dove decoys at Walmart, and I kinda chuckle to myself. I bought a Mojo dove decoy this year to try out. My buddy that I hunt with has used one for the last few years and they seem to work.

And are you all dressing them out and cooking them? I fillet the meat off the bone and let it soak in Italian dressing a few hours. Then I put a few jalapeno peppers in between the pieces of meat, wrap in bacon, and secure the bacon with a toothpick. Then grill on my old charcoal grill for a little while. Some people put sour cream in along with the jalapenos, but I don't do that.

Thank you sir!

Yeah, I can be quick with a shotgun...

Slight thread drift ahead...

Here is one of a few chukar we put out...I was wearing the iKam glasses:

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir!

Yeah, I can be quick with a shotgun...

Slight thread drift ahead...

Here is one of a few chukar we put out...I was wearing the iKam glasses:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/gryphon1994/ChukarRising.jpg

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/gryphon1994/ShotgunComingAround.jpg

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/gryphon1994/ShotgunAlmostMounted.jpg

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/gryphon1994/ShotgunMounted.jpg

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/gryphon1994/GettingaBead.jpg

Cool!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remington 1100 ftw

This!

Bagged 12 in the evening 1st day with a 1967 Rem 1100 mod choked. Woulda had limit if one of the boobs with us hadn't set up In our firing lane. He caught a #6 pellet in the arm from my Buddy and still didn't change position right next to our Mojos.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still have almost a month here but the ol' trusty A5 will be ready.

WHAT!

I haven't slept in like a week.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#44]
So I went out last night to break some clays for practice.

Ended up getting in the way of a spring powered clay thrower before we even started.  Hit me in the back of the neck and knocked me out cold.  

Got my eye dialed in after that though.  A dove flew through as we were shooting.  Little bastard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#45]
What town do you hunt dove in VA, public or private land?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ended up getting in the way of a spring powered clay thrower before we even started.  Hit me in the back of the neck and knocked me out cold.  

View Quote

Jesus Christ
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Jesus Christ
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ
Yep.  I thought I'd straight broken my neck when I woke up.  It hurts like a bitch.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I went solo this morning and limited on 15 birds for 35 shells w/ my 28 ga. Browning pump. I was only shooting 8 1/2's and 9's and hit a huge Whitewing flying high and far. Emptied the gun at him and had an 80 yard walk to him....
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Gearing up for our teal opener tomorrow. The 28 is packed, decoys are strung up and ready to thrown.

I'm not getting up at 2am to compete with several other groups for my 6 teal. I'll wait until 10 or so and head out scouting. I'll pick the marsh with good birds numbers and a decent hide. This marsh had 1000s of teal using a hole way in the back. I'm excited to check it out again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#50]
8 hours till shooting light...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top