Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 2!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Opener is Sept 5th here, and I am ready for it.  Checked the field yesterday and had good numbers of birds in it - hoping they hang around for a week.
View Quote

I keep a "game book" for when I'm out hiking or hunting and log where I'm seeing stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sitting here wishing it was dawn tomorrow. I was kind of bummed as there where just a few resident birds in my sunflowers as of Friday evening. Went up there tonight and there were doves everywhere!!!!!! Gonna be a long night!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Tomorrow. Dove, quail and grouse all open. We saw more grouse than deer over the weekend bowhunting. I'll be using my new to me 20 gauge Montefeltro.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tomorrow. Dove, quail and grouse all open. We saw more grouse than deer over the weekend bowhunting. I'll be using my new to me 20 gauge Montefeltro.

http://webpages.charter.net/optimator/Arfcom/Monte1.jpg
View Quote

Oh man you can go for 3'fers!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Really would like to find a well priced, good condition benelli m2
View Quote

You should IM me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Hunting mountain grouse tomorrow, blues and ruffed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Truth be told. I hunt dove like I hunt quail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the places here were all swallowed up by development. I like quail better because i can get out away from all the dipshits standing on top of one another.

Around here you could drive 5 miles and shoot 20 off the power lines.  Quail are way better eating and way more fun.  Dogs are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gonna be a long day at work...................
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll drop the kids off at school and I'm out in the desert by 0800
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

We're hunting grouse tomorrow morning.  It'll be my new short hairs first outing with a gun.  I'm excited.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One of my bucket list items is to go to Mexico and melt a shotgun barrel on some whitewings.
View Quote

We used to go to Mexico until the cartel violence got bad.

Go to Argentina, unbelievable. Do it, and now.

My shell bill was higher than my airfare and my lodging. What a fucking blast though!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We're hunting grouse tomorrow morning.  It'll be my new short hairs first outing with a gun.  I'm excited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Nebraska? Ruffed or sharptails?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I get to try out my new Beretta the wife got me for my B-day earlier this month.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I get to try out my new Beretta the wife got me for my B-day earlier this month.
<a href="http://s302.photobucket.com/user/david4327/media/2015-08/3790C223-0E1A-42EC-9EFD-D9B5EEB2DC3A_zps61n7qwyj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/david4327/2015-08/3790C223-0E1A-42EC-9EFD-D9B5EEB2DC3A_zps61n7qwyj.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sharp tails.  We call them prairie chickens.  I didn't want to confuse people.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Truck is already loaded!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they aren't actually prairie chickens but are sharptail grouse?

I shot some actual lesser prairie chickens before they were put on the threatened list. I do say they were endangerously delicious.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I shot some actual lesser prairie chickens before they were put on the threatened list. I do say they were endangerously delicious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know.  I just shoot the things that look like phesant hens and flap their wings really fast.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Around here you could drive 5 miles and shoot 20 off the power lines.  Quail are way better eating and way more fun.  Dogs are awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the places here were all swallowed up by development. I like quail better because i can get out away from all the dipshits standing on top of one another.

I like quail hunting better than any other kind of hunting, including deer and hog. I'm looking for another German Shorthaired since ours passed a few weeks ago. South Texas used to have great quail hunting, but the numbers have declined over the years. I've chased scaled quail (blue quail) in West Texas. That was fun but the terrain can kill you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I like quail hunting better than any other kind of hunting, including deer and hog. I'm looking for another German Shorthaired since ours passed a few weeks ago. South Texas used to have great quail hunting, but the numbers have declined over the years. I've chased scaled quail (blue quail) in West Texas. That was fun but the terrain can kill you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our quail and pheasant numbers are way up. I've taken my pup out many times this summer and have never been skunked.  This fall should be fun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll be out in the morning hunting right along the Missouri River, up on the bluffs. Can't wait to watch that sunrise and see the morning come alive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't know.  I just shoot the things that look like phesant hens and flap their wings really fast.
View Quote

Looked up your fish and game website and it appears you have both sharptails and prairie chickens and they are treated the same. I guess just shoot anything that flushes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Should take a picture of it, but I can repost what I wrote 2.5 years ago on this site about it:

My Browning Citori Esprit has taken many clays, dove, and quail. Great shooter. Love the English/Straight stock on it, too.
View Quote

damn I need to renew my membership.. whoops
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s302.photobucket.com/user/david4327/media/2015-08/3790C223-0E1A-42EC-9EFD-D9B5EEB2DC3A_zps61n7qwyj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/david4327/2015-08/3790C223-0E1A-42EC-9EFD-D9B5EEB2DC3A_zps61n7qwyj.jpg</a>
View Quote

JEALOUS
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do have a couple good desert spots, but it kind of sucks when you bust up an area and they fly away.

I miss my mesa dove spot. Standing there, and as soon as the sun came up, they just fly over you for hours.  Corn busting out of their necks from the cattle feed. Lots of fun. If my shots were connecting, i could bag out in 20mins on a good day.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is the truth.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#28]
AZ it's just so rough on weapons, I went and bought a Stoeger Condor. So far at the trap range I'm very impressed, so I'll have to see how well it knocks down birds.

My 870 did the job, but i hated having to replace all the furniture to hunt a handfull of times per year.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Never been out with a dog. Would've never guessed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
more hunting retrievers will die in the next few days from being in the field than all the rest combined.

remember that hunters with dogs.

Really?

That's a thing uh?

Hell yes it is.  Dehydration and heat exhaustion, not to mention snakes and dogs that just run the fuck away.  Then you get guys who want to cool off their dogs by pouring rubbing alcohol all over them.  

Never been out with a dog. Would've never guessed.

retrievers were never really meant for hard use in 80+ degree temps. they can over heat fast and when they reach a certain point- its one of no return. the dogs get excited working.. and then just crater.

my Clients and I talk openly about it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Per my thread in the AZHTF, I'll most likely be marching around in a field tomorrow for a couple hours, curse a bit, pack it up and head to work. But it'll still be a good day of hunting
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Remington 1100 ftw
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
AZ it's just so rough on weapons, I went and bought a Stoeger Condor. So far at the trap range I'm very impressed, so I'll have to see how well it knocks down birds.

My 870 did the job, but i hated having to replace all the furniture to hunt a handfull of times per year.
View Quote

How so?

I used to use my dads old wood furniture 870's and they were fine.

Now I use my all in one 835 that came with a Real Tree pattern that I painted over
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#35]
My load of choice

Dove! by Bill DoubleU, on Flickr
Actually it's just what's open, left over from Multigun

Got to knock that steel down
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#36]
The doves I've seen are so damn dumb I could save on ammo and hunt them with a bat or golf club.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The doves I've seen are so damn dumb I could save on ammo and hunt them with a bat or golf club.
View Quote

I got a toofer with my windshield a few weeks ago when the were in the side of the road and decided to flush and fly into my car...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How so?

Now I use my all in one 835 that came with a Real Tree pattern that I painted over
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

I just used that as a justification in my mind to buy another shotgun. My 870 did the job, but its all tactical, so swapping out furniture gets old. I wanted to give the cheap stoeger a try because i don't want to dump a nice beretta in the rocks . I'll end up buying a nice over under at some point and keep this one as a loaner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:54:09 AM EDT
[#39]
#birdslivesmatter
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Saturday can't get here soon enough. Hunting over sunflowers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My load of choice

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/xMy6Xh" target="_blank">https://farm1.staticflickr.com/658/20862565738_b90c7e7195_c.jpg</a>Dove! by Bill DoubleU, on Flickr
Actually it's just what's open, left over from Multigun

Got to knock that steel down
View Quote

I like to use a similar #6 load for quail. The doves go down pretty easy with the cheap 7 1/2 crap, but I'm fairly certain the quail I find are all wearing vests. I hate to watch them clearly take a a hit, but then hit the ground running like a track star.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Is it 4am yet?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Dove is my favorite food. Soooo good
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:25:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Im still tryin to find a good place to hunt them in southern nv, see shitloads in town but none where u can shootem... if anyones got a tip im me please
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'll be in a plowed under sunflower field tomorrow at noon with my Beretta A300 Benelli M2
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#47]
In the field, sun is almost up!!!!! #Excited
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I woke up at 0435...

Still can't go until after I drop the kids off...

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I woke up at 0435...

Still can't go until after I drop the kids off...

View Quote

I have to work today.........Was going to go this afternoon, and I get a text last night that my little boy has boy scouts after school.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I can't believe you people would murder poor defenseless little birds. How sick of you!

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top