Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]

never act you want to buy.     walk ,    when he contacts you    lower your offer 20K        

not the last house in the world for sale

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would walk and tell him to keep it all.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
We're taking the water softener with us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHANLC9JtWI
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd walk, you are paying almost asking price and he cares about a $1k or less water softening system, let him keep it all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]

I'd just laugh and tell him to take it, but it has to be out in time for the inspection or the deal is off.  And I'd bring it up with the inspector so he can double check on the pipes where it's been removed.  I'd also ask the inspector for extra pictures of that area.

But chances are good he's not going to remove it and never really intended to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on where OP is located.  In some areas, there are 20 other buyers lined up to buy that place, w/o water softener, this afternoon, for cash.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Taking out the softener sounds goofy.  But those things have a bypass, and a goes-inta and a goes-outa.  It's not all that difficult a task.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The only thing that I can offer is:  If you agree to buy said property inspect it the day of settlement to see if any thing was changed by the seller.  My Ex screwed the buyer of our house, I was locked out by her and her lawyer, because they disconnected plumbing etc and the buyer did not know it until after settlement.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Agree to his terms but lower your offer by $5000.

View Quote
Give him a choice.  

- Take the water softener system with him, lower the price by $5,000 (or whatever).  If wants to turn the water off, then hacksaw it out, and leave it with you, for $5k that's fine!  

- Leave the water softener system.  

Make certain that you take lots of photos of the place, and do another walkthru a day or so before closing.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First home. My offer price was accepted (Damn near full asking) but some terms were changed. Basically, in the offer we asked the seller to leave some things in the home like a water feature outside, an awesome table they used for staging, few other minor touches like appliances that were already on the original ad, etc.

Seller countered today and basically only agreed to price and added some things he wants to keep. One thing is a petty little outdoor light fixture and the one that concerns me most is his insistence upon taking the water softener system.

I have a few reasons why I don't want him fucking with the water softener but the main reason is that if he takes it, it needs to be gone asap so I can have a home inspection done (and see if he fucks it up).  I suspect he won't have it removed professionally and it won't be done in a timely manner which will delay closing.

What say GD?

1. Counter again with higher price?

2.  Counter with same price but keep the softener installed?

No poll, too many possible options.

TLDR: seller wants to keep water softener system which could cause OP $$K in the future if it's removed improperly.
View Quote
Until you lay money down it's his house, and you have the option of walking away. It is a buyer's market now, you will find something better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

yep, they're getting passive aggressive in the negotiation over stuff......just like you did.

I would just ignore them and let them soak.  Let them call you in a week or two and go again.  

or just keep walking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's not in the disclosure statement that the water softener system is not staying, then you can walk away and get your deposit back.  You can insist that it stays.  You can also counter at a lower price and use a price to have one professionally installed.  You can also walk away.  As a former appraiser, if it is bolted/screwed yo the house, it is a permanent part of the house.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
This is one of those situations where I'd expect the realtors to be the adults and guide all parties through the process.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...if it is bolted/screwed yo the house, it is a permanent part of the house.
View Quote

If it is plumbed or wired it should go with the house. If the owner didn't want to sell it with the house they should have removed it before listing it.

Never include non-house items like furniture or appliances in negotiations unless they are specifically included in the original listing. You don't need to muddy a real estate deal with items that are of little or no value.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

never act you want to buy.     walk ,    when he contacts you    lower your offer 20K        

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That works in a buyers market. I believe OP is in a sellers market though from the sound of it. (lost two properties already)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That works in a buyers market. I believe OP is in a sellers market though from the sound of it. (lost two properties already)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still a sellers market in many areas of the country.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#16]
First it's not a buyers market everywhere our market here  is pretty hot.  I've been in multiple bidding wars as both a buyer and sellers agent this year.
I would view the softener as a fixture personally for what ever that is worth it's secured like the water heater etc.
     If he counter offered then you can walk and your deposit stays with you there is no contract till both parties agree to terms
It should not have been deposited yet.

Your acceptance or counter offer needs to be based off how you feel about losing the home over the softener.
Do you have an agent or are you representing yourself I'm curious?
   Ask them why they want to take it. Can they not afford another one for their next home or maybe still making payments etc.
Real Estate doesn't have to be so difficult nor do you have to take hard line stances on everything.

I'd love to help you make up your mind but you need to decide how bad you want the home.   Good luck

Btw at the start of your thread you said your offer price was accepted.
I know what you meant but to be technical your offer is either is or is not accepted.
  Yours was not and was null and void when it came back with different terms.

Accepted = contact    
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We're taking the water softener with us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHANLC9JtWI
View Quote

lol!!!

Truth. All the way down to the wife saying "I really want this house!".
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First it's not a buyers market everywhere our market here  is pretty hot. same here

I've been in multiple bidding wars as both a buyer and sellers agent this year.
I would view the softener as a fixture personally for what ever that is worth it's secured like the water heater etc.
     If he counter offered then you can walk and your deposit stays with you there is no contract till both parties agree to terms
It should not have been deposited yet.Nothing is deposited yet. After we agree to the contract, it's a $100 for me to walk.

Your acceptance or counter offer needs to be based off how you feel about losing the home over the softener.
Do you have an agent or are you representing yourself I'm curious?
I have an agent. She tried to tell me that it's not un-common for people to take the water softner. I looked at her like .

Ask them why they want to take it. Can they not afford another one for their next home or maybe still making payments etc.
Real Estate doesn't have to be so difficult nor do you have to take hard line stances on everything.

I asked her if they wanted to take it to avoid having to replace the softner in case it failed home inspection. I thought maybe it wasn't working and they wanted to shit can the whole thing.  She said there's no reason from the seller why they want it. It's assumed that the system works as advertised. As far as the counter offer.  It's more like I was caught off guard. I expected a bit of back and forth giving my experience so far buying a home in this area. I didn't expect something like this. The plan stands that I'll walk if he counters again.

I'd love to help you make up your mind but you need to decide how bad you want the home.   I want it, but I don't want to pay too much or play stupid games over trivial things.

Good luck thanks

Btw at the start of your thread you said your offer price was accepted.
I know what you meant but to be technical your offer is either is or is not accepted.
  Yours was not and was null and void when it came back with different terms.

Accepted = contact    

Correct and I understand that. I was wording it the way my realtor worded it to me. She said "they accepted your price but with some concessions..."
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]
All you have to do is have your broker write in a general addendum, and
have the seller provide proof of payment to a licensed and bonded
plumber for the removal of the system. Make sure you put in a timeline, for example within 10 days of mutual acceptance. If you want it to be part of
the inspection, you can can base your inspection timeline around when
it's removed too.

If they countered you on any terms, then you are not obligated to purchase until you have singed/initialed each item that was changed.

Last advice, purchase your house as a business decision first. Don't try to purchase as an emotional deal, there will be time to fall in love with it later. That's one of the most common things I see, people tell me something like "We just loved it so much we were willing to put up another $5,000. Now we realize it wasn't worth that."
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All you have to do is have your broker write in a general addendum, and have the seller provide proof of payment to a licensed and bonded plumber for the removal of the system. Make sure you put in a timeline, for example within 10 days of mutual acceptance. If you want it to be part of the inspection, you can can base your inspection timeline around when it's removed too.

If they countered you on any terms, then you are not obligated to purchase until you have singed/initialed each item that was changed.

Last advice, purchase your house as a business decision first. Don't try to purchase as an emotional deal, there will be time to fall in love with it later. That's one of the most common things I see, people tell me something like "We just loved it so much we were willing to put up another $5,000. Now we realize it wasn't worth that."
View Quote

Last house I bought I overpaid probably. Agent said he had other offers coming in. House was close to my shop and had potential.
I didn't want to lose it so I might of left 10k to 15k on the table. I'm still very happy with my decision. To each his own.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Walk. If this is that big of a deal, the house wasn't right for you and the seller is hiding stuff that you do not want. If you walk and the seller comes back accepting the original deal, great. Otherwise, keep walking
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Walk. If this is that big of a deal, the house wasn't right for you and the seller is hiding stuff that you do not want. If you walk and the seller comes back accepting the original deal, great. Otherwise, keep walking
View Quote

I gave him one last shot. Anything other than accepting my counter terms and I walk. If he wants to return to the table, it's going to cost him.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Until you lay money down it's his house, and you have the option of walking away. It is a buyer's market now, you will find something better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First home. My offer price was accepted (Damn near full asking) but some terms were changed. Basically, in the offer we asked the seller to leave some things in the home like a water feature outside, an awesome table they used for staging, few other minor touches like appliances that were already on the original ad, etc.

Seller countered today and basically only agreed to price and added some things he wants to keep. One thing is a petty little outdoor light fixture and the one that concerns me most is his insistence upon taking the water softener system.

I have a few reasons why I don't want him fucking with the water softener but the main reason is that if he takes it, it needs to be gone asap so I can have a home inspection done (and see if he fucks it up).  I suspect he won't have it removed professionally and it won't be done in a timely manner which will delay closing.

What say GD?

TLDR: seller wants to keep water softener system which could cause OP $$K in the future if it's removed improperly.

Buyer's Market?  I offered $2k over asking price all cash close in 2 weeks and did not get it  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe they don't really want it and just want you to offer more, using it as a bargaining chip.

If you want to bargain i would say counter with them keeping it but knock off 3-5k, more than enough to cover it.

If you really want the house a softener can be had for 5-700 and installation is an easy diy project.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Just wanted to see if you came to an agreement or not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What kind of softener is it? [brand] If it's something like a Kinetico they can be thousands of dollars, if it's something from Sears, it may be $400. Most softeners have a bypass and even a moran can remove it in about 5 minutes without any issues.
View Quote

This. He wants his old ass softener. So what. If you really want the house, don't let it stop the deal.
It should be easy to remove. Two shutoffs and it's gone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Counter same price but leaving softener.  That's an idiotic thing to try and take.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What say GD?

Counter same price but leaving softener.  That's an idiotic thing to try and take.

No kidding. He's willing to jeopardize the sale for a fucking water softener. That means he will find other ways to fuck you over.

Eject.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tell him to leave it or deals off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What say GD?

View Quote

Take the new value of everything he wants to keep, plus installation, and subtract that from your last offer. If he gets butt hurt tell him to piss up a rope unless you absolutely have to have the property. There are plenty of nice properties out there and it's still a buyers market. How bad does he want to sell it????
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#33]
is this the only house in your area for sale?

Them wanting to do this is what is known as a "clue" to walk away.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Re-read the response, make sure he doesn't want to dig up the septic tank and take that as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#35]
counter offer or walk.  there are other houses

I just moved into my house 3 weeks ago.  all the appliances where in the contract.  walk through the day before we were supposed to sign, and i'm ask, where the fuck is my stove, microwave, and dishwasher?
dumb ass sold them on a local classified website, so I got all new stainless GE stuff for free.

some sellers are just fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I gave him one last shot. Anything other than accepting my counter terms and I walk. If he wants to return to the table, it's going to cost him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell me you put a time limit on your offer...

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#37]
^reply to above

I did personally but not communicated in the offer.

I'll update the OP, but we walked away. He was hung up on the water softener and then mentioned (out of the blue nowhere) that he wasn't willing to foot the bill to spray for termites...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

We walked.   He rejected our counter offer, insisted on keeping the softener, and (completely to our surprised) communicated through our realtor the he will not pay the entire bill to spray for termites. He wanted to split the bill. We didn't even know about termites. We haven't had an inspection yet.  Shenanigans!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No kidding. He's willing to jeopardize the sale for a fucking water softener. That means he will find other ways to fuck you over.

Eject.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What say GD?

Eject.

I think you nailed it. We ejected.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Good move OP.  Screw that idiot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Exactly. ...good eject

Last house I sold potential buyer couple walked through with all 4 of their parents and realtor....7 sets of eyes on my house, which I didn't know.....they asked 87 questions about stupid shit....who shingled the garage roof, which was older than I am....and other dumb shit, all texting me at odd hours over the weekend

They made me a full price offer, we rejected it with no counter....my realtor called theirs and said don't ever bring 6 people in to a showing before an offer is made

I had already told my realtor if they nitpicked the house this bad before the offer, they were going to fuck me hard on the home inspection

The buyers realtor called back a few days later, apologized for the Shit show and said she was caught off guard by having all 4 parents show up in addition

If your seller is pulling this shit already, it will only get worse once paper is signed.....good eject

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow!
Quoted:
Exactly. ...good eject

Last house I sold potential buyer couple walked through with all 4 of their parents and realtor....7 sets of eyes on my house, which I didn't know.....they asked 87 questions about stupid shit....who shingled the garage roof, which was older than I am....and other dumb shit, all texting me at odd hours over the weekend

They made me a full price offer, we rejected it with no counter....my realtor called theirs and said don't ever bring 6 people in to a showing before an offer is made

I had already told my realtor if they nitpicked the house this bad before the offer, they were going to fuck me hard on the home inspection

The buyers realtor called back a few days later, apologized for the Shit show and said she was caught off guard by having all 4 parents show up in addition

If your seller is pulling this shit already, it will only get worse once paper is signed.....good eject

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounds like you just dodged a bullet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I think you did the right thing. When your not comfortable with the purchase it's better to keep looking.

Usually the buyer pays the CL-100 and for any other inspections kinda surprised he was even willing to split. If he didn't keep up to date though it would be a huge red flag.   I only say this if when you find the next place and the seller will not pay any.
   All things are negotiable but buyer paying for any and all inspections is pretty much the norm.

There is always another home for sale just be patient and the right one will come along.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think you did the right thing. When your not comfortable with the purchase it's better to keep looking.
View Quote

So true. You have to live with this for years. Find one that you are happy with as long as the market is not crazy hot you will find it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Good move.

Dealing with a-holes is not worth the trouble.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top