Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/30/2015 12:25:22 AM EDT
... And I am. FIL is a warrior. Almost 5 years in SEAsia as a green beret and has the medals to prove it.  He's almost 80 years old and he's still a stud. So the wife takes him into my Man Cave and he sees my M1A out where I'm installing a painted stock. I have boxes of ammo out along with my plates along with my punches and the dreaded dremel. Of course, because I know him well, he says "I don't understand why people have those kind of weapons unless they're in the military". I remind the wife that he lives in another country 9 months out of the year because of the crime rate in the USA.  Of course the wife then begins to question some of the things I do, which prompts me to say " my first wife said that same shit".  You can can guess how the evening turned out.

While I'm a bubba at heart, I provide a good living for my family so it pisses me off beyond words for her or anyone else to question what I do for me to feel pseudo free. Thanks for allowing me to vent. Another Tito's and tonic and I'll probably feel good enough to say "aww, fuck it".
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I must see pictures of this M1a before I can comment.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to need pics of the wife and the man cave...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Pics would be nice

I absolutely hate when people use the term man cave too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Gonna need pics of your feet before i can from an opinion.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Eject, marriage is over.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I am waiting for the pics to load.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
mancave pics needed
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Just because someone is a veteran doesn't mean they are a conservative or not a douchebag. I know plenty of guys that came back and turned their swords into plowshares and do not continue to live with a warrior mentality.

In fact I have met plenty of guys that claim to have been high speed and when I put a gun in their hands they can't even shoot and then act like its a hot iky potato
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#10]
"My first wife said the same shit".

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Fudds gonna Fudd.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Alright OP, so far counsel has requested pics of:

- M1a

- mancave

- wife

You must score 2 out of 3 to satisfy counsel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

... And I am. FIL is a warrior. Almost 5 years in SEAsia as a green beret and has the medals to prove it.  He's almost 80 years old and he's still a stud. So the wife takes him into my Man Cave and he sees my M1A out where I'm installing a painted stock. I have boxes of ammo out along with my plates along with my punches and the dreaded dremel. Of course, because I know him well, he says "I don't understand why people have those kind of weapons unless they're in the military". I remind the wife that he lives in another country 9 months out of the year because of the crime rate in the USA.  Of course the wife then begins to question some of the things I do, which prompts me to say " my first wife said that same shit".  You can can guess how the evening turned out.

While I'm a bubba at heart, I provide a good living for my family so it pisses me off beyond words for her or anyone else to question what I do for me to feel pseudo free. Thanks for allowing me to vent. Another Tito's and tonic and I'll probably feel good enough to say "aww, fuck it".

View Quote

Don't stress it.  Good on you for providing for your family, let it roll off your back.

FYI, I'll never approach what my Dad did and sacrificed one generation back, but that has no bearing on my love and my care for my wife and my family.  Honestly, I'd never let my Dad into my man cave for fear of his massive disapproval.  Don't question what you're doing, and love your FIL for what he is and perhaps the greater generation he represents. He won't be around forever.  Be the bigger person and embrace what he is.  I'm with you, though, and understand the delimma.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Despite probably having dealt with some tough shit, he's also probably spent several decades isolated from enough of the world to not be aware of the world around him.  

If people truly had to worry about nothing other than threats from another country trying to attack our borders with military strength? Sure, but that's not the case and a sign of the times.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#16]
..The things we do to feel Pseudo Free".  

That's a good way to put it.      Don't worry about the Old Man.  He lived his life.   Now it's your turn.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Because this is America. If you don't like it you can get out.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I will say this dude,you got a pair. Bringing up the ex-wife to the current one is ballsy. Thank the FIL for his service and call it a day.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
He lives out of the country due to the crime rate? The fuck? Can you explain further?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This...  Excellent response.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been married three times.

1st wife, rough divorce. We get along fine now.
2nd, dead under questionable circumstances.
3rd, still happily together, and judges her actions based on whether I say "my 1st wife said/did the same shit" or "my 2nd wife said/did the same shit".
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just out of curiousity, what medals prove 5 years of service in SEA as SF?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

3rd, still happily together, and judges her actions based on whether I say "my 1st wife said/did the same shit" or "my 2nd wife said/did the same shit".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is Wife #3 under the impression that Wife #2's questionable demise may not have been a uh... how shall we say... accident?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is Wife #3 under the impression that Wife #2's questionable demise may not have been a uh... how shall we say... accident?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several of my friends have no problem saying that they think I killed her. I didn't, but of course I'd be expected to say that.  I think my wife may have a lingering doubt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With more weight given to the 2nd.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Tell FIL he fought for your rights so it would be a disgrace to him not to use them
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Why do people own water hoses if they aren't in the fire dept?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pics would be nice

I absolutely hate when people use the term man cave too.
View Quote

I agree.  Absolute hate.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:11:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Several of my friends have no problem saying that they think I killed her. I didn't, but of course I'd be expected to say that.  I think my wife may have a lingering doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This needs it's own thread.  How did she die under questionable circumstances?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#30]

"If you think that's weird, you should hear some of the stuff I do to your daughter!"

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#31]
You have a good handle on things.   They can either get on board or buzz and stay gone.

They are wrong.   Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#32]
DAY 1
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#33]

I went ahead and poured another tito's and tonic and after reading your words of encouragement, you're right.  There's nothing to it. Love you bros! Mean it!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
M1A
<a href="http://s437.photobucket.com/user/simpleman2008/media/m1a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq91/simpleman2008/m1a.jpg</a>
and for all of you 18 year old leg humpers, my wife
<a href="http://s437.photobucket.com/user/simpleman2008/media/ty.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq91/simpleman2008/ty.jpg</a>
and my man cave
[URL=http://s437.photobucket.com/user/simpleman2008/media/man%20cave.jpg.html]http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq91/simpleman2008/man%20cave.jpg[/URI

I went ahead and poured another tito's and tonic and after reading your words of encouragement, you're right.  There's nothing to it. Love you bros! Mean it!
View Quote

Havanese?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I known Marine enlisted and officers who lack any sense.

We all know:

"Once a Marine, always a Marine."

"Every Marine a rifleman."

Thusly, once a Marine, always a rifleman.    That's just common sense.   Still, some people are just stupid.   I avoid stupid people as much as possible.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Purple heart, bronze star, plus his standard Army picture where the stripes on one of his sleeves state that he's been in a war zone 4.5 years.  He's the real deal and his stories are amazing, but he won't talk about it unless you ask specific questions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just because someone is a veteran doesn't mean they are a conservative or not a douchebag. I know plenty of guys that came back and turned their swords into plowshares and do not continue to live with a warrior mentality.
View Quote

what does a "warrior mentality" have to do with believing it's ok for non mil to own "military style" guns? The military is rampant with an elitist attitude over civilians, and this is just an example of how some schmuck thinks he's more entitled to something because of his former employment.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More males need to get this point.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

what does a "warrior mentality" have to do with believing it's ok for non mil to own "military style" guns? The military is rampant with an elitist attitude over civilians, and this is just an example of how some schmuck thinks he's more entitled to something because of his former employment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting you should say that.  He doesn't own a gun and I've talked to him before about that and it boils down to he won't do something he regrets if he doesn't have one.  I get it, and that's one of the reasons he lives outside of the USA.  He's just very opinionated and shares his views even if no one want's to hear them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Purple heart, bronze star, plus his standard Army picture where the stripes on one of his sleeves state that he's been in a war zone 4.5 years.  He's the real deal and his stories are amazing, but he won't talk about it unless you ask specific questions.
View Quote

OK, Overseas Service Bars.  That makes sense, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Tell him it looks more normal with the farm animals back in it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This needs it's own thread.  How did she die under questionable circumstances?
View Quote

Respiratory distress, Asthma attack according to the DRs.    Not too common to have your very first asthma attack at Thanksgiving dinner, at almost 40 years old.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I get your dilemma OP, but you don't owe him or anyone else an explanation on why you decide to exercise you rights!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Comes from a different time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

What the fuck is up with Arfcom anymore?  Why this apologetic beta nonsense?
He's a green beret-fucking awesome, really. But why does that give him authority over your God given freedoms? The majority of everyone here are not HSLD snake eaters, does that somehow make us unworthy of our inherent rights? Be proud of who you are and stop being apologetic for exercising the 2A.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guy could have been drafted, I know plenty of people that served in the Army who just served in the Army out of circumstance and didn't even like guns. Yeah and they had tabs and everything just played the game to be successful. Only shot at people because they were shot at or their squad leader told them to shoot back I even served with guys that I don't think what if shot back unless they were told to lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:35:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Explain to him the difference between need and want. If he still doesn't understand, remind him your fucking his daughter and that means you won.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

it boils down to he won't do something he regrets if he doesn't have one.
View Quote
Of course, he might regret not doing something he needed to since he doesn't have one

If someone questions my firearms, they have a couple of chances to either understand or get over it before they get the boot.

I even have some liberal friends who have survived that process, so it's not impossible

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Mancave is a defeatist term.  The older generation called it a den or workshop.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Explain to him the difference between need and want. If he still doesn't understand, remind him your fucking his daughter and that means you won.
View Quote

I like this guy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top