Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Um . . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The lazy people aren't going to click on it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Very Cool!

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Well that's just too big for my printer.  Not going to bother looking for the files.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
that is freaking awesome...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
really cool. I want a 3d printer
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
not a wasted click.

that's pretty dang cool.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
How can it be called fully functional, if it isn't turning JetA into thrust and noise?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
that is freaking awesome...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks to be an electric motor driven fan with a thrust reverser.

Not a functioning jet engine, but still cool.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Functional TR complete with blocker doors.  

And masking tape to secure the camera.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Very cool but why does the Highlander sword in the background not surprise me.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very Cool!

https://youtu.be/9LkgHB5bgmc
View Quote

So what happens when it is put on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Very cool but why does the Highlander sword in the background not surprise me.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#18]
That's awesome!  Could that provide anywhere enough thrust (with two of them) on a drone?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Functional? I can make a thing that is spun by an electric motor and call it a jet engine too, but it ain't a jet engine
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Pretty flipping sweet!   Not sure how it doesn't melt itself together when spinning at those high RPM.  Wonder if he's added a metal shaft and lubricated or ball bearings to it...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Functional? I can make a thing that is spun by an electric motor and call it a jet engine too, but it ain't a jet engine
View Quote

Well, technically, it's now a ducted fan.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Does it catch fire like the real ones, too?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. I don't call the EDFs in my RC planes jet engines either

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#24]
That would make a really desk fan.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's pretty cool.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:04:53 AM EDT
[#26]
That would be the fucking shit on model aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Very cool
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Especially if it's as balls outside.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#29]
OP - it isn't "fully functioning" unless it can turn kerosene into noise, thrust, heat and fumes - which I have a hard time believing a plastic model can do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much fan. Such cool. Many want.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:25:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Even if it was made using one of the metal-sintering printers and could withstand some heat, combustion effects do not scale worth a shit.

A jet designed for operation at one scale will absolutely not work well, if at all, at another scale.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:44:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Even if it was made using one of the metal-sintering printers and could withstand some heat, combustion effects do not scale worth a shit.

A jet designed for operation at one scale will absolutely not work well, if at all, at another scale.
View Quote
What about at 100.1% scale?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:26:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Would play with.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#37]
What is involved in generating the files for the printer to use?

Also, that's amazing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How can it be called fully functional, if it isn't turning JetA into thrust and noise?
View Quote

Can't you see it spins!  That makes it functional.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#40]
A sophisticated example of the capabilities of 3D printing, and GD complains that it can't be used as a real jet engine.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A sophisticated example of the capabilities of 3D printing, and GD complains that it can't be used as a real jet engine.  
View Quote

Well it pretty much looks like shit, actually.  3D printed (sintered metal) parts are actually used in real live rockets and jet engines, and don't look like they're made of legos.  That's more impressive to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Well it pretty much looks like shit, actually.  3D printed (sintered metal) parts are actually used in real live rockets and jet engines, and don't look like they're made of legos.  That's more impressive to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, you're comparing a model that was made with a $3,000 printer (I'm guessing at that price) with a precision manufacturing machine that probably costs more than a million dollars?

Why?  Is it because I used the word 'sophisticated' in the context of hobby-level 3D printing (which this so obviously is?)

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wait, you're comparing a model that was made with a $3,000 printer (I'm guessing at that price) with a precision manufacturing machine that probably costs more than a million dollars?

Why?  Is it because I used the word 'sophisticated' in the context of hobby-level 3D printing (which this so obviously is?)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look, if you want to shit out some crudely constructed facsimile of an engine, don't fucking call it functional when it is not by any definition of the term.  Is it a cool little project?  Sure.  Is it functional?  Absolutely not. Words mean things.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:39:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

And I still want one. But i'm thinking model hover craft...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

my thought, still cool as fuck
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Look, if you want to shit out some crudely constructed facsimile of an engine, don't fucking call it functional when it is not by any definition of the term.  Is it a cool little project?  Sure.  Is it functional?  Absolutely not. Words mean things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree - in principle.  However, the word 'functional' is ambiguous in this context.  Does it function?  Yes it does.  And anyone who isn't driven by a compulsive need to read unambiguous sentences knows that this model could never be functional in the context of powering a Boeing 787, and simply appreciates it for what it is.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

it was 3d printed so yea
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the simple things in life that trip you up isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#50]
OP, change title from "engine" to "motor" to alleviate the butthurt in your thread please.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top