Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2015 8:14:54 PM EDT
Has this been done before . Im guessing WW2 or Korea had the best opportunity for it to happen . All google does is pull up random stuff
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by dead stick?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I assume engine(s) failed.  Forced landing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Impossible. At least in the current era. 40s and 50s? No idea, but Id assume no. The deck has to be ready and you still have to fly the proper glideslope.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
"Dead Stick", lol.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd expect the captain would rather have you put down in the water near the ship and wait to be rescued than crash your plane on his flight deck. I've never even been on a carrier, so I'm just thinking that's some basic common sense.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I know if you lost flight and combined hydraulics on an F14, you'd better hope there was a land base within range with arresting gear.

We had to trap one on land in Bahrain in '93, and the pilot said it was the scariest thing he'd been through while flying and thought at one point he would need to eject.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to do deadsticks in F-15 Strike Eagle 3.

20 nautical miles out, 5,000 ft.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Given dead stick usually means the spinny thing on the front of the airplane stopped being a spinny thing. Therefore it ain't pulling you forward, so you're slowing down.  

And the boat, even in WWII, was being pushed away from you at 25+ knots by its spinny things.

So you're only hope is to dive at the deck at a speed that let's you overtake the boat, then flare at exactly the right moment to have your plane's speed match the boat and settle/smash into the deck in a survivable crash.

Somehow I don't see skipper saying "WTHeck. Give it a go."

And in a jet?  They'd shoot you down for even asking.

You could, of course, test it on a treadmill in the bed of a pickup.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't know the answer to the question, although one of the guys from church was a carrier pilot during vietnam.

He told me a great story about landing in the fog one night where he couldn't see the lights needed to land.  I don't remember what he called them, but they are set up so if you are too high or too low, you see the wrong color, but if you are coming in at the right angle you see the right color.

Anyways, he couldn't see anything, and got talked in over the radio- ?using radar?  I don't know.  He said it was one of the most stressful things he has ever done.

There are some great old guys out there to talk with if you take the time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Come up short and crash into the back of the boat. Land long go off the end and get run over. I'll just ditch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll find out for you OP. I have a couple of friends that are or were navy pilots. One is retired, flew S3's, one is an active duty F18 pilot and the other is an instructor at Top Gun. I'll get back to you.
View Quote

No need. The answer is no. Trust me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Fresnel lenses or plat lens... Maybe in the old days into the barrier but no way would it be allowed now...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I did it in a shot up Corsair while playing Aces High.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Helos yes, fixed wing no,
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll find out for you OP. I have a couple of friends that are or were navy pilots. One is retired, flew S3's, one is an active duty F18 pilot and the other is an instructor at Top Gun. I'll get back to you.
View Quote

You know Tom Cruise ? Awesome
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems I remember a WWII thing showing a fighter coming in with gear down on one side only and the prop not turning where the plane hits and skids crab like and zinging into the island as deck crew dive out of the way
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't know the answer to the question, although one of the guys from church was a carrier pilot during vietnam.

He told me a great story about landing in the fog one night where he couldn't see the lights needed to land.  I don't remember what he called them, but they are set up so if you are too high or too low, you see the wrong color, but if you are coming in at the right angle you see the right color.

View Quote

Glide slope indicator.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Helos yes, fixed wing no,
View Quote

Autorotate onto a ship?   I bet that sucks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I know it would be a rare circumstance. Obviously badly damaged aircraft were allowed to land so the ossibility if an engine failure on landing may have happened. Just curious but dont think it has happened. And thanks for beibg helpful.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Given dead stick usually means the spinny thing on the front of the airplane stopped being a spinny thing. Therefore it ain't pulling you forward, so you're slowing down.  

And the boat, even in WWII, was being pushed away from you at 25+ knots by its spinny things.

So you're only hope is to dive at the deck at a speed that let's you overtake the boat, then flare at exactly the right moment to have your plane's speed match the boat and settle/smash into the deck in a survivable crash.

View Quote

F-4U best glide speed 140 kias
You can catch up to the 25 kts carrier just fine, but will you run out of altitude first?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Glide slope indicator.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glide slope indicator.  

Maverick has the ball
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember that episode of Baa Baa Black Sheep.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can catch up to the 25 kts carrier just fine, but will you run out of altitude first?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing is free. You wanna keep that 140kts up? Guess what youre gonna give up?

Its not feasible for a million different reasons.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need minimum slope.  What is vertical speed at that?  So say min slope speed is 120 Knots and at that, you have say a 6:1 glide ratio.  So you hit the deck at a vertical speed of 20 knots.  So you come in hot at 140 and try to flare, you will stall before you convert energy into lift and slow your vertical.  Flat tops were not designed for dead stick landings.  Even rotary wing would have an issue.

There was a reason the SSTS needed a 15 k foot runway.  And still used a drogue chute.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Glide slope indicator.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glide slope indicator.  

VASI - Visual Approach Slope Indicator

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glide slope indicator.  

Not on the ship its not.

Now its the improved Fresnel lens - IFLOLS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You give up altitude.
You can keep up the 140kias as long as you have it
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Carrier Captain is not going to want a flaming skidmark on his flight deck.  He has lots of other aircraft to think about.

Either ditch close to the ship, or zoom climb and pull the yellow handles.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You give up altitude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You give up altitude.

But you are trying to hit a very tiny moving target.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You give up altitude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You give up altitude.

You think you can do that and still maintain a 3.5 degree glideslpoe?

Seriously, even if the math worked, which it doesnt, it could not happen operationally. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You give up altitude.

True
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Seriously, even if the math worked, which it doesnt, it could not happen operationally. Ask me how I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You give up altitude.

Nope
Not saying it is possible.just that flying a Corsair if you lost an engine your best glide speed is clean at 140kias. In reply to the " how you going to catch the carrier "comment. Given the altitude I could catch the carrier fine. As to a last second flare, or the geometry of the whole situation not really real world feasible.
Also in reply to the "what you gonna give up" comment.
At some point you have to put the gear down and that changes the equation. Do that at the wrong time in a O-2A and the additional drag alone will stall the aircraft. It also turns a decent ditching plane like the Corsair with the inverted gull wing into a death trap the will end up on its back with the gear down. Better off to catch up, wave as you go by and ditch. Tat also keeps the deck clear for the rest of the air group.

So you've tried to dead stick a Corsair onto a carrier?  ;)
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Not possible with an F-4
(you can't dead stick an F-4 under any conditions)
That's all I know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Nope
Not saying it is possible.just that flying a Corsair if you lost an engine your best glide speed is clean at 140kias. In reply to the " how you going to catch the carrier "comment. Given the altitude I could catch the carrier fine. As to a last second flare, or the geometry of the whole situation not really real world feasible.
At some point you have to put the gear down and that changes the equation. Do that at the wrong time in a O-2A and the additional drag alone will stall the aircraft. It also turns a decent ditching plane like the Corsair with the inverted gull wing into a death trap the will end up on its back with the gear down. Better off to catch up, wave as you go by and ditch. Tat also keeps the deck clear for the rest of the air group.

View Quote

No. I have live-sticked an F/A-18 685 times and a T-45A 10 times.

That enough?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That enough?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope

That enough?

Check your sarcasm meter brother
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That enough?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope

That enough?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Since the invention of viagra there has been no excuse for dead stick. No excuse at all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Carriers were not made for dead stick landings, at least with modern planes.  Sure, it MIGHT be possible but aviators don't train for it.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Not possible with an F-4

That's all I know.
View Quote

Yep, friend of my fathers flew them.  He said it has the flying characteristics of a brick if both engines flame out.

As far as a dead stick (no power) landing on a carrier these days? Nope... you would never be cleared to land, and most jets don't have terribly great glide characteristics anyway so they probably wouldn't make it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep, friend of my fathers flew them.  He said it has roughly the flying characteristics of a brick if both engine flame out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not possible with an F-4
That's all I know.

Yep, friend of my fathers flew them.  He said it has roughly the flying characteristics of a brick if both engine flame out.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I've   dead stick    a B-52, 747,  U2, C-5, C-17,C-130,  even  the space shuttle     .  Every single one went into the drink.    I've    even tried it with   60 knot  headwinds ...    and  that  wheels down right at the No. 1  wire

I might try to add a tail hook   to all of them
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not possible with an F-4

That's all I know.

True dat. The F4 was a wonderful example of what brute force could accomplish, no arguments here.  It's not beautiful, nor graceful, nor even nice to look at... but it got the job done for a damn long time.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Grilled cheese sammiches?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#45]
When I was in we did barricade drills a couple times a week while deployed.  Would only be used to recover severely damaged aircraft with low likelihood of safe recovery via the traps. Rig that bitch and then hide like a mofo!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you dont make it on deck in time for Rats, then yes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When I was in we did barricade drills a couple times a week while deployed.  Would only be used to recover severely damaged aircraft with low likelihood of safe recovery via the traps.
View Quote

The last successful barricade (I think was either 99 or 03). Most CVN Captains would rather the pilot just punch out rather than try a barricade. And of course, the Whale mishap is still something everyone thinks about when barricading. As a matter of fact, there is some thought that we will never see another barricade again. I personally think we will.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Carrier Captain is not going to want a flaming skidmark on his flight deck.  He has lots of other aircraft to think about.

Either ditch close to the ship, or zoom climb and pull the yellow handles.  
View Quote

No power landings often  turn out poorly on airfields. No way they're going to attempt it on a carrier
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I got nuthin when it comes to carriers.

My Grandpa once told me about when he landed his P-38 dead stick somewhere in the Phillipines during WW2.  That's all I got.

Me and my boys and Papa at the Sacramento Air Show several years ago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#50]
When I was at MM A school back in the 70s we watched some films from WWII of planes trying to land on carriers when the plans were shot up.  Many "landings" didn't go well.

While in Subic Bay, PI, during 'Nam the planes would do "touch and go" practice for hours at a time.  There were lines painted on the runway to mark off the same distance as they'd have on a carrier.

I think it's a high skill set kind of thing with a plane that's 100%.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top