User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

Not so easy answer, if you are a Christian as in has asked Christ to forgive you of your sins then you know that murder is sin.  Suicide is the last sin you commit and do not have a chance to ask for forgiveness.
View Quote

So, if I tell a lie and then get hit by a bus and die, I m not going to heaven? Bc that is the last sin I committed. Not how it works. If we were under the law, I would agree but we are under grace.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
They will go to the third level of heaven called The telestial kingdom.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

Not so easy answer, if you are a Christian as in has asked Christ to forgive you of your sins then you know that murder is sin.  Suicide is the last sin you commit and do not have a chance to ask for forgiveness.
View Quote

Christ died for all your sins past present AND future. It is not repenting for each sin that gets you into heaven, but believing, knowing Christ, and more importantly Him knowing you. That being said someone in the faith would not commit suicide, unless a severe brain illness took over, and in that case they would go to heaven just like someone dieing from any other illness.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]

pretty sure you just go to the pool of Ramen, until the all powerful Flying Spaghetti Monster redeems you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So, if I tell a lie and then get hit by a bus and die, I m not going to heaven? Bc that is the last sin I committed. Not how it works. If we were under the law, I would agree but we are under grace.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

He was making it up and thought it sounded good.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I let God decide such things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
In this thread we make up entirely unsupported shit to support our fantasies and make us feel better about whatever ideology we have chosen.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

View Quote

That is not how salvation works.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe everyone who tries to live a good life on earth makes it to heaven. If you truly are good in your heart, no matter what religion you are (or aren't), no matter what sins you may have committed, if you live a good honest life, you get in.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This may come as a shock to millions of God-fearing Christians, but "going to heaven" is not really a thing . . . at least not in the Bible anyway. The Jews of the Old Testament did not believe in a "heaven" afterlife -- at least not the way most modern Christians understand it. Jesus talked about the kingdom of heaven COMING to you and heaven being IN you. Likewise, if you really read the scriptures, you'll see that hell is also a condition of the mind. Heaven and Hell are something you experience while you're alive and conscious. Heaven is having Christ/God dwell in you. Hell is being separated from God. You're only aware of this while you're physically alive. As the wise man said, "there is no thought . . . in the grave where thou goest."

So, no, people who commit suicide don't "go" to heaven because 1.) there is no afterlife heaven to go to and  B.) they did not know heaven while they were alive. They committed suicide because they were tormented. They committed suicide because they were in hell while they were alive. Physically dying changes the condition of man only because dying ends life. There is no thought in the grave so heaven and hell -- like all other thoughts -- cease to exist. There is NOTHING.

Suicide is the final act of a person who is in hell. The only way to get "to" heaven is to stay alive and work through the hell in your mind. You must put off the old man of hell and put on the new man of heaven. Enjoy it while it last because there is nothing else. . . .
View Quote

uh huh. If that were true, why did Jesus tell the thief next to him on the cross that today he will be with him in paradise?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Magic says maybe
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I think that’s up to God.

Look, people might commit suicide for a lot of different reasons. People with schizophrenia or severe depression aren’t in their right mind when they kill themselves and I can’t see God giving them any special punishment because they have an illness that’s not their fault.

And someone might kill himself to avoid being tortured into revealing information. Suppose someone who was hiding Jews was about to be captured by the Nazis. So he commits suicide so that he won’t be tortured into giving up the Jews. I don’t think God is necessarily going to hold that against him.

Or a fighter pilot who, out of ammo, rams an enemy bomber that’s about to hit his carrier.

You can’t just lump all suicides in together.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I stand on the sermon preached by a pastor friend a long time ago. We as Bible believing Baptist, that once saved by accepting Jesus as our personal Savior that "nothing, nothing can pluck us out of HIS hand" That means to me once saved, always saved, nothing can take it away, not even suicide. If you reach a point in life where you may do this, if you were saved, you go to be with Jesus, if you were lost, you just lost your last chance at salvation. I feel so sorry when I read what all non believers are writing, they are playing with the most important decision mankind can make, betting a life of a few years against eternity, a number that does not exist in our thinking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My answer is that it depends on the situation. If your stuck in a building on fire with no way out and instead of burning alive you put a bullet in your head I don't think it will be held against you. Or you a soldier in the sandbox fighting ISIS and your about to be overrun and capture is imminent. You know your fate in their hands will be horrible so you save the last bullet for yourself.
View Quote

I'm thinking like above.
If someone is dying, has a few days left where they will be bed ridden and doesn't want to endure that...
We treat dogs better. We will put a dog to "sleep" to end suffering.
A person in the same situation? They get hell for ending it on their terms?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just like the title says. Do suicides go to heaven?

When I see a suicide thread, everyone types "RIP" , or some other nice-sounding quip and posts a sad face. But, do people who take their own lives actually get into the Christian Heaven? I was always taught that suicide was robbing God of your service on earth.

Well?
View Quote

If you really want to know the answer, read the Bible, study the Bible. Don't take a poll here. However, if your goal is to get people's opinions, or sarcastic replies, or "I was told by my......" then you'll get your answers.
My reply, suicide has nothing to do with heaven or hell.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

View Quote

What if they slash their wrists and shout "I love Jesus" while they are bleeding out?
What if they thought Jesus told them to do it, like Jonestown? Why would Jesus condemn people who were mentally ill and not thinking straight?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If they are saved, yes. Salvation is all encompassing.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does it get lonely up there on your high horse?

Please continue to enlighten us with your wisdom...

http://www.memefrog.com/albums/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-00023.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, because heaven is a manmade fantasy.

Does it get lonely up there on your high horse?

Please continue to enlighten us with your wisdom...

http://www.memefrog.com/albums/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-00023.jpg

How did you get him as being "high horsed?"

The question was do suicides get into heaven.

If one believes god/heaven/hell are manmade fantasies, nobody gets into them because they do not exist.

He didn't say "religious people are idiots, bla bla bla."  he stated a logical conclusion that follows if one disbelieves in the things necessary for heaven/hell to exist.

Hello overreaction.....

It's also not quite the same as dropping an abortion reference into every thread that has not a damn thing to do about abortion.  This thread asked the very question Chairborne answered.  

How is that a "high horse" argument.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

uh huh. If that were true, why did Jesus tell the thief next to him on the cross that today he will be with him in paradise?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This may come as a shock to millions of God-fearing Christians, but "going to heaven" is not really a thing . . . at least not in the Bible anyway. The Jews of the Old Testament did not believe in a "heaven" afterlife -- at least not the way most modern Christians understand it. Jesus talked about the kingdom of heaven COMING to you and heaven being IN you. Likewise, if you really read the scriptures, you'll see that hell is also a condition of the mind. Heaven and Hell are something you experience while you're alive and conscious. Heaven is having Christ/God dwell in you. Hell is being separated from God. You're only aware of this while you're physically alive. As the wise man said, "there is no thought . . . in the grave where thou goest."

So, no, people who commit suicide don't "go" to heaven because 1.) there is no afterlife heaven to go to and  B.) they did not know heaven while they were alive. They committed suicide because they were tormented. They committed suicide because they were in hell while they were alive. Physically dying changes the condition of man only because dying ends life. There is no thought in the grave so heaven and hell -- like all other thoughts -- cease to exist. There is NOTHING.

Suicide is the final act of a person who is in hell. The only way to get "to" heaven is to stay alive and work through the hell in your mind. You must put off the old man of hell and put on the new man of heaven. Enjoy it while it last because there is nothing else. . . .

Maybe death (not existing) is paradise?  Living is suffering.  Death is relief from suffering.  Would that not be paradise?  Especially in that time period?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

View Quote

Wrong.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#21]
So the 90 year old man who has terminal cancer and lives in pain each day decides he's had enough won't go?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe death (not existing) is paradise?  Living is suffering.  Death is relief from suffering.  Would that not be paradise?  Especially in that time period?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So heaven is a state of nothingness? Follow all these rules so you turn into nothing and don't exist anymore? That idea won't put any money in the collection plates.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#23]
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/suicide.html

There are many stories from people who have attempted suicide and "came back".

Speed
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Heaven is not a physical place. It's a condition of spiritual unity with God, just as Hell is a condition of separation from God. Both of these, ultimately, are self-imposed. A person who commits suicide, it seems to me, has already separated himself/herself from God by the unpardonable sin of Pride, that is, the hubris of putting one's own ego above God. Suicide is a selfish act. It says that "I'm the most important thing in the universe." But, as human beings, we're not competent to decide what happens to anyone else metaphysically. God alone makes that determination.

What I'm saying is that it's a waste of time to speculate.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So the 90 year old man who has terminal cancer and lives in pain each day decides he's had enough won't go?
View Quote

As has been pointed out to me a number of times over my life, such suffering is godly. God put pain there for you to endure stoically. Jesus suffered, therefore all good Christians, etc. . . . .

I have heard that one a lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#26]
"Don't you know that you are God's sanctuary (Or temple or tabernacle) and that the Spirit if God lives in you? If anyone destroys (Or ruins) God's sanctuary, God will destroy him; For God's sanctuary is holy (Or has been made in God's image and therefore the temple has been declared set apart from all other creations), and that is what you are."

The Word and Testimony of the Apostle Paul to the Corinthians
The New Testament Epistle of 1st Corinthians; 3: 16-17 (DCE)
Destruction of the Temple of God: God will Repay
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Heaven is not a physical place. It's a condition of spiritual unity with God, just as Hell is a condition of separation from God. Both of these, ultimately, are self-imposed. A person who commits suicide, it seems to me, has already separated himself/herself from God by the unpardonable sin of Pride, that is, the hubris of putting one's own ego above God. Suicide is a selfish act. It says that "I'm the most important thing in the universe." But, as human beings, we're not competent to decide what happens to anyone else metaphysically. God alone makes that determination.

What I'm saying is that it's a waste of time to speculate.
View Quote

. . .he speculated.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#28]
No one knows.

/thread.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#29]
My Marine Corps nephew committed suicide one week ago today (PTSD related).

I don't know where he went spiritually, but I hope he is at peace.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

View Quote
That is incorrect.
If you had accepted Christ's pouring out of his life&body as a substitution for your sins, then you're sins are forgiven. Period.
Not saying that there won't penalties for committing suicide since that is a sin of rejection of God's ability to care for you, but it isn't a barrier for entry into heaven.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So heaven is a state of nothingness? Follow all these rules so you turn into nothing and don't exist anymore? That idea won't put any money in the collection plates.
View Quote

Which has the probability of providing relief from suffering for eternity?  Nothingness, or eternal boredom?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No one knows.

/thread.
View Quote

But everyone will endlessly make shit up. endless thread, since the beginning of "how come it rains?"
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As has been pointed out to me a number of times over my life, such suffering is godly. God put pain there for you to endure stoically. Jesus suffered, therefore all good Christians, etc. . . . .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't God know how a person will act in a given situation.
If God knows the old guy will kill himself rather than continue to suffer...
God could just have the guy die in his sleep, or have a heart attack...
God could prevent what he knows will invariably happen.
Someone lives a "good" life but goes to hell because they didn't want to suffer at the end? That is messed up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It always amazes me when a question such as this one is asked and all the atheists have to come in and be as insulting as they can be.  If you don't believe there is a Heaven, then why participate in a thread about Heaven?

To answer your question.......Your poll is bad.

Jesus told us who would go to Heaven.

"You MUST be born again."  If a person has been born again, that is born spiritually, then they are Saved and will go to Heaven when they die.  Committing suicide is a sin, but so are many other things we all do every day. But Jesus paid for ALL of a Christian's sins.

If a person is not born again and Saved, then they will not go to Heaven, regardless of how they die.  That is what the Bible teaches.

View Quote

I am sure you are just as rock-solid certain of your answer as everyone else with entirely different answers. That's how religion works.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It always amazes me when a question such as this one is asked and all the atheists have to come in and be as insulting as they can be.  If you don't believe there is a Heaven, then why participate in a thread about Heaven?

"You MUST be born again."  If a person has been born again, that is born spiritually, then they are Saved and will go to Heaven when they die.  Committing suicide is a sin, but so are many other things we all do every day. But Jesus paid for ALL of a Christian's sins.

If a person is not born again and Saved, then they will not go to Heaven, regardless of how they die.  That is what the Bible teaches.

View Quote

By this point in time, it is well known that if you aren't looking for opinions from everyone about religion/lack of religion/etc, you don't post it in GD.  You post it in religion.  You also don't put "flying spaghetti monster" as a poll response, because that's a quip from South Park re; atheism/religion.

If OP only wanted religious folks to reply, that's what he'd have done.  He posted it in GD, ergo it is logical that his question was for everyone.  He got the mash-up of responses he was looking for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Which has the probability of providing relief from suffering for eternity?  Nothingness, or eternal boredom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, if you are feeling bad, the answer to relief is a bullet in the brain. That's the logical conclusion from what you said.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#38]
No different then any other sin. If youre a true christian who has repented, yes they go to heaven.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sure I am.  Never said differently.

The OP asked opinions, so I gave him mine.  Hope that is okay with you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure you are just as rock-solid certain of your answer as everyone else with entirely different answers. That's how religion works.

Any delusion that gets you through the day without harming others is fine with me. There is no reason you shouldn't have fantasies just because I don't share them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nobody goes to heaven. There is no heaven.
View Quote

Human beings dont understand everything about our own little planet, yet are willing to make statements like this. Always makes me scratch my head.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I have no idea. But I would think it depends on the circumstance. Some folks suffer from depression so do cancer patients go to hell because of their illness?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In this thread we make up entirely unsupported shit to support our fantasies and make us feel better about whatever ideology we have chosen.

Carry on.
View Quote

Such is life.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just like the title says. Do suicides go to heaven?

When I see a suicide thread, everyone types "RIP" , or some other nice-sounding quip and posts a sad face. But, do people who take their own lives actually get into the Christian Heaven? I was always taught that suicide was robbing God of your service on earth.

Well?
View Quote

Since when do your actions determine whether you go to heaven or not? Are Christians without sin? Hopefully, as a Christian you will sin less, but you're still not perfect. EVERYBODY continues to make mistakes. Salvation cannot be earned or taken back because you messed up.
The debate is, can you lose your salvation? Personal opinions don't matter. Read the New Testament if you really want to know. Polls aren't the arbiter of truth.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Human beings dont understand everything about our own little planet, yet are willing to make statements like this. Always makes me scratch my head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody goes to heaven. There is no heaven.

Human beings dont understand everything about our own little planet, yet are willing to make up magical places for which there is even less evidence than there is for our own little planet. And not just one place, but a whole shitload of wonderful places, some of them with 72 specially reserved virgin pussies to play with. Always makes me scratch my head.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Any delusion that gets you through the day without harming others is fine with me. There is no reason you shouldn't have fantasies just because I don't share them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strange exchange of opinions GKH. You post is very insulting and full of anger. I would suggest you stay out of grown up discussions until you learn to control your emotions.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#49]
1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God ; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”

I would like to believe there is a place for everyone as in what is written above ....
Even for the ones who say .... There is no place other than darkness ....

I truly believe that the poor souls who jumped out of the WTC didn't just fade to black.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So, if you are feeling bad, the answer to relief is a bullet in the brain. That's the logical conclusion from what you said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

My statement, more clarified point-by-point is thus:  In the first response, I am not necessarily referencing suicide.  I am referencing the question about heaven/nothingness duality.

Ergo, I am saying that heaven is forever.  Forever is a long time.  It's forever.  It never ends.  You will eventually do and know everything before forever ends.  Which leads to the logical conclusion that one will eventually become bored.  Forever.  That's its own form of suffering.

OR

Nothingness, which at first seems bad....but compared to the other option of experiencing nothing new, nothing to learn, nothing to do...forever.....to me at least, nothingness is better.  Either are a relief from the suffering of being "alive."  Life is a struggle.  Even for the best equipped, the most successful....life is about having pressures applied.  If we could all do whatever we wanted, feel no pain, and have no heartbreak...life would not be suffering.  But all of those things are true.  Life is suffering.

Now, to the point about suicide.  

1)  "feeling bad" is not something that I'd say merits suicide.  But I'm not going to condemn anyone else for the choices they make about their lives.  It's their life.  Theirs alone.  If they don't want it, I'm not going to elevate my beliefs above theirs.  I might get them to contemplate what they are doing, but in the end...if they go through with it, I'm not going to really say they can't, because to do so would deprive them of the ability to make choices for themselves (which  I am 100% against doing).

2)  Being terminally ill and in a lot of pain.....I can totally get suicide.  

So, in essence, your original reply was referencing the difference I felt was between nothingness and heaven (for eternity/forever).  

Your second reply flip flopped the question, and referenced the suicide aspect.  Which isn't really a germane way to conduct an argument.  

Now, I've replied to both of your questions in a detailed way so as to attempt to not fall into this quandary again.  I hope that helps.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top