Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/29/2015 7:33:05 AM EDT
Just like the title says. Do suicides go to heaven?

When I see a suicide thread, everyone types "RIP" , or some other nice-sounding quip and posts a sad face. But, do people who take their own lives actually get into the Christian Heaven? I was always taught that suicide was robbing God of your service on earth.

Well?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Easy answer, no.  

Not so easy answer, if you are a Christian as in has asked Christ to forgive you of your sins then you know that murder is sin.  Suicide is the last sin you commit and do not have a chance to ask for forgiveness.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
No.

There is a level in hell just for suicides. An endless tournament of snapping limbs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I let God decide such things.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.

There is a level in hell just for suicides. An endless tournament of snapping limbs.
View Quote

And how do you know this, pray tell?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I assume we all go to the same place.  Nowhere.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]
According to Islam I believe the answer is no. "Martyrdom Operations" supposedly don't count as suicide depending on who you ask. I have seen some debate on those who are truly mentally ill and decide to do it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
No, because heaven is a manmade fantasy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The all loving God will punish you for ending a life that was so unbearably horrible you had to eject.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Fade to black, man...Just fade to black.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there even truly a "Heaven?"

It's nice and comforting to think there is. You hear people with near-death experience etc...

The wife makes me go to church every Sunday but I'm still skeptical.

If I'm wrong I'll be in hell.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Dante's Inferno

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it get lonely up there on your high horse?

Please continue to enlighten us with your wisdom...

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#13]
My answer is that it depends on the situation. If your stuck in a building on fire with no way out and instead of burning alive you put a bullet in your head I don't think it will be held against you. Or you a soldier in the sandbox fighting ISIS and your about to be overrun and capture is imminent. You know your fate in their hands will be horrible so you save the last bullet for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Poll fail.

"I don't know."

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I was taught growing up that suicides go to Hell.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://www.memefrog.com/albums/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-00023.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.memefrog.com/albums/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-00023.jpg

If my life sucked so bad I had to cling to the hope of having it better in the next one I'd be defensive about my silly superstition too.  Instead I try to make the most of the one and only life I get.

Besides, you're obviously headed for the other made up fantasy place.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I went to a church service for a suicide victim once and the priest spoke on the "Prodigal Son" parable

So I'm sure God can forgive whoever He wishes (I wouldn't want to test Him, though )
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, pretty much this.  I'm agnostic, but I don't feel any need to crap all over other peoples' beliefs.  Been suicidal before, nothing to trifle with.

Glad to see the FSM is winning.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#19]
If they are saved, yes. Salvation is all encompassing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

Not so easy answer, if you are a Christian as in has asked Christ to forgive you of your sins then you know that murder is sin.  Suicide is the last sin you commit and do not have a chance to ask for forgiveness.
View Quote

This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  As a Christian, you're sins are covered.  Do you ask forgiveness for every sin you commit?  I mean EVERY one of them.  No one would go to heaven if they were judged by your way of thinking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#21]
IBTL:

2 bans, 1 timeout and 1/2 ban
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd say it'd depend on circumstances.  Gen Tommy Franks in Vietnam was about to get overran and kept a .45 to use on himself.  I'd think that'd be forgiven.  Dying of cancer, can't take the pain, probably be forgiven.  Emo pussy that take the selfish way out, probably not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#23]
No.  And neither do people who die of natural causes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

IBTL:
2 bans, 1 timeout and 1/2 ban

View Quote
Eh; move it to the correct forum and press on.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I am not a religious person, nor a believer.  I am not against believers at all, and do not consider myself above or below them.

But, if I believed a person I knew was considering suicide, and asked this question to me, I would definitely tell them they could not get in to heaven, as it might be something that could help them get through the time it took for us to get them some help.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I suppose it depends on which religion you believe on the matter. Personally I'm going to go with "Shall not forsake us"; In that if we have been "saved" well, there you have it, he wouldn't forsake us, just because we an imperfect being screwed up, again. Now if you haven't gotten right with god, well then IMO you are not going there anyway so it's sort of irrelevant.

Note: The responses you get will be VERY biased based one one's personal religious or lack there of belief.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If my life sucked so bad I had to cling to the hope of having it better in the next one I'd be defensive about my silly superstition too.  Instead I try to make the most of the one and only life I get.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you're precious. I forgot that only atheists have enjoyable lives.

Yes obviously because my username says so....
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Did Jesus commit suicide when he allowed himself to be placed on the cross to die???????????????????????????
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I assume we all go to the same place.  Nowhere.
View Quote

Yup. We return to wherever we came from before we were born.... Oblivion.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#30]

No , he knew he would re-arise. Death has no hold over him.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The all loving God will punish you for ending a life that was so unbearably horrible you had to eject.
View Quote

Sorry in life you got a bad run of it bro, disease,  mental illness,  just plain shitty circumstances as isis was about to torture you.. now go burn in hell for exercising control over your own existence.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did Jesus commit suicide when he allowed himself to be placed on the cross to die???????????????????????????
View Quote

Self sacrifice is not suicide.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol wut

Since when did the definition of suicide include being wrongly committed of a "political" crime, beaten, publicly humiliated, marched to your death, and then executed in a slow painful manner?

By your logic, a soldier who knowingly enters combat with low chances of survival is no different than someone cutting their wrists in a bathtub while listening to Joy Division.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No , he knew he would re-arise. Death has no hold over him.
View Quote

In a sense, He never really died. I mean there was never a moment, no matter how brief, that the Trinity went down to Two and then back up to Three again ... but I'm no religious scholar
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Easy answer, no.  

View Quote
Could you provide some scripture to support that?  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#36]
There is no heaven.  There is no hell.  There is no god.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Not my call. The guy that makes that decision is my boss
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Spaghetti Monster don't care
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Step one, define "heaven"
Step two, based on the definition of heaven and presuming the immortality of the soul, one knows the answer to the question.

So, if your heaven is an Eastern, Hindu/Buddist and to some extent, Muslim concept of the natural place all souls go by default, then yes, suicides enter 'heaven'.
But depend on their intent they either like it or not.

In Western Paganism (Greco-Roman-Ceitic) the concept of heaven was likewise a naturalist pecking order place of default. But again, one's pecking order or joy depended on one's circumstance at the moment of death. Honorable vs. dishonorable got their just comeuppances.

In Judaeism there was a period when some didn't believe in heaven but only 'hades' where all were dead alike - rich or poor, good or bad. But there was another school that did hold that the just somehow went to God (Abraham's bosom') while the evil didn't.

In Christianity, heaven is both a place (many mansions, new jerusalem) and a condition of being God's friend. And it's a super-natural gift so by nature a human soul doesn't and can't automatically 'get' to heaven. As a relationship, it's a voluntary option.

If you have a loving relationship with God, you are welcomed to a place and state you can't merit on your own. If you don't love God (and by extension, don't love other people) then the only "default" place for a loveless soul is hell. One chooses either love or egoism.

So if a man risks death to save another life - out of love, he goes to heaven. If he simply shoots himself out of anger/spite/vengeance his last choice on earth is selfishness and he 'gets' what he wants: just himself.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No.  And neither do people who die of natural causes.
View Quote

Yep.  Gotta die in battle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#41]
This may come as a shock to millions of God-fearing Christians, but "going to heaven" is not really a thing . . . at least not in the Bible anyway. The Jews of the Old Testament did not believe in a "heaven" afterlife -- at least not the way most modern Christians understand it. Jesus talked about the kingdom of heaven COMING to you and heaven being IN you. Likewise, if you really read the scriptures, you'll see that hell is also a condition of the mind. Heaven and Hell are something you experience while you're alive and conscious. Heaven is having Christ/God dwell in you. Hell is being separated from God. You're only aware of this while you're physically alive. As the wise man said, "there is no thought . . . in the grave where thou goest."

So, no, people who commit suicide don't "go" to heaven because 1.) there is no afterlife heaven to go to and  B.) they did not know heaven while they were alive. They committed suicide because they were tormented. They committed suicide because they were in hell while they were alive. Physically dying changes the condition of man only because dying ends life. There is no thought in the grave so heaven and hell -- like all other thoughts -- cease to exist. There is NOTHING.

Suicide is the final act of a person who is in hell. The only way to get "to" heaven is to stay alive and work through the hell in your mind. You must put off the old man of hell and put on the new man of heaven. Enjoy it while it last because there is nothing else. . . .
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well played.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

View Quote

You don't know what you're talking about. Jesus Christ died once for all your sins; past , present and future !
If you're a believer in Christ and you commit suicide, you go to heaven .

Believing that suicide is an unforgivable sin, is a Catholic misconception.
A misconception that is totally unsupported by scripture.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#44]
. . . .
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#45]
There's a trick to it.

First you have to murder someone in an area that will be sure to give you the death penalty.

Then, you go to confession and  get clean before the execution.

Then they put you to death, and you're in.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#46]
We do not know the state of their relationship with God when they die.  Nor do we know the extent of God's mercy.

That said, Catholic's view suicide as a serious sin.  Serious sin, done with knowledge it is serious and done freely is mortal sin - which severs a person's relationship with God.  For a long time the Catholic position was that suicide was about as cut and dry of case as possible.  Now we understand mental illness better - and recognize most likely many/most suicidal people are not acting with free will.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#47]
It's possible, but depends entirely on their retro-themed headwear.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm willing to bet if you actually believe in heaven, then you probably won't kill yourself. Since most religions tend to frown upon suicide. I mean you wouldn't want to risk not getting into heaven right. Of course if you don't believe in heaven, well then there's not as much to stop you from killing yourself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Nobody goes to heaven. There is no heaven.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top