Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/28/2015 11:15:53 PM EDT
They are super low maintenance and the resale value is great.
I bought this new from the dealer in February 2008. I've had 76000 trouble free miles.
1 Set of tires.
1 Set of spark plugs.
2 Batteries
3 Air filters
1 Set of front brake pads
6 Pairs of wiper blades
15 Oil changes
No mechanical failures
No Service Engine Light
Almost forgot driver side brake light bulb.

Texas Direct Auto gave me an offer today.
Not trade-in but cash offer.
I'm sure I could easily get 19K from an individual.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
American company, American made, and  American pride    GMC
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure no failures in 76,000 miles over 7 years is anything to really brag about.

I mean... kudos for having a good example of a good truck.  But it's not like you've used it hard, you know?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I know I take a lot of pride in the fact that GM was bailed out by my tax dollars.    Almost as much pride as the Canadians and Mexicans who build half of GM's fine automobiles take in the company.

What do I drive you ask?  The most American made truck on the planet.  A Toyota Tundra.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Piece of shit built by a piece of shit company.
Fuck that piece of shit and anyone who buys one!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Currently have an (older, cough) nissan frontier.  Been a great truck, but she is long in the tooth, yearswise.  Am eyeing up a new tacoma.  Buy once, cry twice.

They be spendy...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Six sets of wiper blades?  Their really skimping on the quality to cut cost whenever they can huh.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
10,000 miles a year and you're impressed it has been good to go?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
How much did you buy it for new?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Sounds like your Tacoma was a great purchase.  Any reason you want a newer vehicle as it sounds like that one has a lot of life left in it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Piece of shit built by a piece of shit company.Fuck that piece of shit and anyone who buys one!

View Quote
Are you serious, or is my sarcasm meter broken?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

unless he's using it to haul farm equipment around, that's about the most gently-used pickup i've ever seen.

10k a year?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
2007 and i'm almost to 200k.  

I'm curious if i'm gonna get anything out of it when I ditch it.  PreRunner, 4 cyl, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive.  I think I'll be lucky to get 5k.  No 19k for me.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

you can thank a union-run Ohio USA company for that.

it must have cost a lot of money for toyota to import those truck frames, you'd think shipping costs would kill them.

no, someone at Toyota decided to contract the frame manufacturing to a USA-based vendor.

they ultimately selected a "industry tier 1" UAW-run company, Dana Corp in Ohio.

you know, to give good jobs to skilled US laborers, and stuff.

while manufacturing hundreds of thousands of truck frames for Toyota, Dana skipped the sort-of-important step of cleaning machining oil off of the frames before immersing them in the rust-preventative bath. the machining oil not only compromised adhesion to the frame, but also "poisoned" the bath -- as the day wore on the bath became more and more contaminated. so, some frames got "marginal" rust prevention, and others got "shit" rust prevention. match up the "shit" rust preventative coated frames with northern states who apply tons of road salt during the winter, and you got yourself a giant corrosion problem.

Dana paid Toyota US$25M for their screw up, but Toyota has paid out far, far, far more than that over the past 5 years -- eating the frame warranty cost and buy back tons of trucks due to their supplier screw-up.

please, someone find me an example of GM and/or Ford doing this.

depending on (a) the model year of the vehicle, and (b) the severity of the corrosion, as determined by the dealer tech using a set of written guidelines provided by Toyota corporate, there are three possible outcomes:

1) due to lack of corrosion, nothing needs to be done. you bring your Tacoma back annually for a free re-inspection.

2) the frame is replaced. this is the case with some model year 2001-2004 Tacoma's. the dealer schedules a date for the repairs, you drop off your truck, the dealer then gives you a loaner, does the work, and gives you back your truck with a new frame.

3) the vehicle is scrapped and the owner is reimbursed 1.5 times the KBB value. this is the case with most pre-2001 model year Tacoma's. the dealer gives you a loaner and starts the paperwork to get you paid by Toyota corporate. when you get a check you have to return the loaner.

note that for item (3) there is the issue of aftermarket modifications. most dealers have allowed the owners to remove any and all accessories. a number of dealers have stated "you need to be able to drive it onto the lot" –– this has led to quite a bit of used Tacoma parts (seats, grilles, light bezels, etc) becoming available.

ar-jedi <-- has 2002 Tacoma, lives in snow belt, no rust issue.

ar-jedi

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/18/report-dana-coughs-up-25m-to-toyota-over-rusty-tacoma-frames/
Report: Dana coughs up $25M to Toyota over rusty Tacoma frames

When an automaker is forced to issue a recall, the defective part or feature is generally the fault of the automaker or of an OEM supplier it contracted to. In the case of the Toyota Tacoma – part of a 110,000-unit recall in 2009 – the problem appears to have been traced back to the supplier. And now the supplier is forced to pay for its mistakes.

The company in question, according to reports, is Dana, the Ohio-based OEM contractor supplying (among other components) axles and driveshafts for automobiles, commercial trucks and heavy equipment. In this case, it supplied the frames for the Tacoma pickup which were found to rust when exposed to road salt.

Although in 2010 Dana sold the plant that manufactures the frame to Mexican conglomerate Grupo Porza's Metalsa subsidiary, since the component in question was built prior to the sale (from 1995 to 2000), Dana has reportedly been forced to shell out $25 million to Toyota over the issue.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/07/toyota-extends-rust-warranty-on-older-tacoma-pickups-to-15-years/

Toyota had begun receiving a few reports from customers that excessive corrosion was occurring on the frames of some older Tacoma pickups, specifically 1995 to 2000 models. The Japanese automaker determined that during this half decade of production, some Taco frames may not have received the kind of corrosion protection from the factory that's needed to withstand harsh climes, especially ones where salt is used to deice roadways. While there is no recall and Toyota says that the number of instances where it has found rust go beyond the surface of the frame to penetrate the metal is small, the automaker is pulling an unorthodox move and doing something about anyway.

Toyota is extending the rust perforation warranty on all 1995-2000 Tacoma pickups, some 813,000 units, to 15 years from the original date of purchase, AND you don't have to be the original owner, or the second or the third even. Anyone who owns a Tacoma from this era and finds rust perforation on the frame can have his or her truck officially inspected for rust damage, in which case Toyota will either repair or buy back the truck regardless of its condition. Owners will start receiving letters by mid-March, and those who don't can visit a dealership for a free inspection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a new sienna this afternoon and while at the dealership I noticed outside the service garage 2 pallets of brand new frames totalling 10 frames. I don't know if they were 4runner, sequoia, Tacoma, or tundra but obviously they're still dealing with a lot of rotted out frames.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Front pads at 100K (still had 1/3)
Rear shoes still going
Right front wheel bearing at 182K
Plugs 110K
3 sets tires
3 batteries
Oil changes @ 12K Mobil 1 filter at 6K

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

unless he's using it to haul farm equipment around, that's about the most gently-used pickup i've ever seen.

10k a year?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10k a year?

Leave it to GD to miss the point of the thread.
How many other brand trucks can you drive for seven and a half years and get so much of your money back.
I got it for $29500 and they are giving me $17000 back.
That's what I was trying to convey.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like your Tacoma was a great purchase.  Any reason you want a newer vehicle as it sounds like that one has a lot of life left in it.
View Quote

Just ready for something new. I already have a 1970 Chevy  short bed truck if I need to haul something. Thinking about getting something sporty.
Something with stick shift.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How many other brand trucks can you drive for seven and a half years and get so much of your money back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10k a year?

Used truck prices off ridiculous right now, just about any used truck is worth way more than it should be.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#21]
1998 Tahoe here. 355,000 miles and still going on all the original drive train.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
96 Tacoma here 310,000
No major problems yet

Also have a 2010 tundra
120,000 problem free miles also

67 firebird is broke down as often as its running, but on its 4th engine and who knows how many miles
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I have just under 80K miles on my 2003, should be more but I always have two vehicles
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Tacomas are fucking gay.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#25]
2012 with 92,xxx.  

It's about time for breaks and new air filters.  That's it.  

I have replaced tires and wiper blades. Oh, and floor matts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#26]
All trucks have a high resale right now, check the top ten list.  It's supply and demand, same reason you paid so much for that in 2007, it fills a small 4x4 niche with the wrangler.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Piece of shit built by a piece of shit company.Fuck that piece of shit and anyone who buys one!
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Tacomas are fucking gay.

View Quote
That is a major drawback.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

10k a year?

that is pretty crazy.  Figure they will turn around and sell it for ~5k more.    

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Shitty trucks don't have fucking wars named after them

ITT: Butthurt Dakota/Ranger/Canyon/Frontier owners knowing their truck isn't worth shit while Taco owners laugh.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]
My company truck is a 2013 f150 4x4, in a year and a half I have put 100,000 miles on it. The only thing I have had is 1 set of brakes and 1 set of tires.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean the company that defrauded bond holders in 2009 and will soon be building cars in China

Oh, never mind, I get it now, your post was intended to be sarcasm/a joke
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I recently lost my 11 year old, 4 cylinder Tacoma to a crash.  Insurance gave me almost 13k for it.
If it had been a Dakota, they would have said "Yeah, our client killed your truck.  You're welcome!"

Quoted:

ITT: Butthurt Dakota/Ranger/Canyon/Frontier owners knowing their truck isn't worth shit while Taco owners laugh.

View Quote

Belligerents:  GUNT, FAP

Oh Africa, don't you ever change
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asia does it with more cougarness.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I am happy for you that your gently used little truck didn't give you any big problems.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#36]
So what?

Jeep Wranglers have even a higher resale...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Japanese simply build better cars/trucks. I used to drive American but got tired of working on the junk all the time. I finally bought a Honda accord and been driving it for years with no major problems. A lot of Hondas and Toyotas are built here in America by non union workers. Most American cars are now built in mexico. I will never own another "American" car in my life the Japs do it better right here in America.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So what?

View Quote

And FJC's do even better then Wranglers resale wise..
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So what?

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tacomas are fucking gay.

View Quote

Yup.  And all the little metro-boys are like 'I actually drove it, like ev-er-y day for like, ever, and it still works!'
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Japanese simply build better cars/trucks. I used to drive American but got tired of working on the junk all the time. I finally bought a Honda accord and been driving it for years with no major problems. A lot of Hondas and Toyotas are built here in America by non union workers. Most American cars are now built in mexico. I will never own another "American" car in my life the Japs do it better right here in America.
View Quote

Like you i only owned "american" cars. now after working for acura for 11 years i only drive honda/toyota/nissan products. everything else on the road is garbage compared to them. once you own japanese you will not buy anything else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anger much?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10k a year?

Some of us got it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I love Tacos.

For less than 3k you can mod one with a high end 3" lift, air lockers, and have money left over for a topper.

It's probably going to be my next Overlander project, once the new trucks become more available.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So what?

View Quote

I don't think so Tim.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been looking for a decent beater truck. Something not beat to death but not so nice I'd get excited if it got a ding or a scratch. Found a nice truck at a "get it off the lot" price that I grabbed.  Truck prices are high as hell, at least around here. Not unusual to see decent 10 year old, 4 door, 4WD trucks with double the mileage of yours for the same or more money.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#47]
93K miles on my 2010 Chevy Silverado with no problems except for a factory recall for a bad throttle position sensor, which was a 20 minute repair. My other three Chevy and one GMC truck were reliable too, and I plowed snow commercially with two of them. I'm glad the OP is happy with his little Japanese truck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I get the same BS letters from Nissan.  Dealer would love to fuck you over on a new Tacoma or really fuck you over on a big shiny Tundra.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd sell mine for eleventy billion dollars
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They are super low maintenance and the resale value is great.
I bought this new from the dealer in February 2008. I've had 76000 trouble free miles.
1 Set of tires.
1 Set of spark plugs.
2 Batteries
3 Air filters
1 Set of front brake pads
6 Pairs of wiper blades
15 Oil changes
No mechanical failures
No Service Engine Light
Almost forgot driver side brake light bulb.

Texas Direct Auto gave me an offer today.
Not trade-in but cash offer.
I'm sure I could easily get 19K from an individual.

http://i59.tinypic.com/eu38z4.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/t7em1l.jpg
View Quote

Love it, without the cab though, to accommodate a surfboard & motorcycle but it's really pricey. I originally went for a Ford F150 but the gas mileage sucked and trouble with California smog requirements. I almost broke down for a Nissan Frontier but I'm going to save my pennies for a Takoma.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top