Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2015 12:55:54 PM EDT
Looking for a mid-size 4x4 that will seat 4 and have room for bags and camping gear but still gets around 15-20 mpg. Budget is around $4000 and I'd like to find something with under 175,000 miles. We already have my wife's car and my full-size pickup, both are newer and reliable. This will be my daily driver and weekend fun/hunting vehicle, no heavy towing necessary. I'm wanting a '96-'99 Cherokee, the wife thinks they are POS and wants something else. What does GD recommend?

No pics of wife, I've posted them before, you can search to find them if you care that much.

Edit to change fuel economy since it seems to be an issue. My point is I don't want buy a K5 Blazer that gets 9 mpg... Many mid-size SUV's are capable of 20 mpg, highway, with a V6.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
inb4 beat to shit tacoma recommendations.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Xterra
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking for a mid-size 4x4 that will seat 4 and have room for bags and camping gear but still gets around 20 mpg. Budget is around $4000 and I'd like to find something with under 175,000 miles. We already have my wife's car and my full-size pickup, both are newer and reliable. This will be my daily driver and weekend fun/hunting vehicle, no heavy towing necessary. I'm wanting a '96-'99 Cherokee, the wife thinks they are POS and wants something else. What does GD recommend?

No pics of wife, I've posted them before, you can search to find them if you care that much.
View Quote

Why does she think they are pos? I had a 94 Cherokee, picked it up with a little over 100k in 99 for around 7k ad
Nd drove it till 2005ish while putting an additional 175k on it...no major repairs
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
20mpg?  So you're looking for a little "cute ute" or some crossover POS?  

Where to you plan to take it?  

Get a third gen 4runner, just make sure the balljoints are taken care of.  You won't get 20mpg though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
needs to budget around 19k for that

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looking for a mid-size 4x4 that will seat 4 and have room for bags and camping gear but still gets around 20 mpg. Budget is around $4000 and I'd like to find something with under 175,000 miles. We already have my wife's car and my full-size pickup, both are newer and reliable. This will be my daily driver and weekend fun/hunting vehicle, no heavy towing necessary. I'm wanting a '96-'99 Cherokee, the wife thinks they are POS and wants something else. What does GD recommend?

View Quote

If you're serious about the fuel economy, I think you're SOL.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! I was going to reply the same thing. "Taco" owners are a proud lot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get a third gen 4runner, just make sure the balljoints are taken care of.  You won't get 20mpg though.
View Quote

This. Engines are tough, light so they are good on trails, and price range is right where you are looking. I'd try to look for an sr5 4x4 in the 99-00 years. There are several 4wd options on these, so be sure you do some research before you buy.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Xterra
View Quote

I have been looking at 2000-2004 used models locally and have found several with around 100K in the $4500-$5000 range.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Cherokee XJ, your wife doesn't know what she is talking about.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why does she think they are pos? I had a 94 Cherokee, picked it up with a little over 100k in 99 for around 7k ad
Nd drove it till 2005ish while putting an additional 175k on it...no major repairs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure, I think she has just "heard it" from other people. I've know the i6 Cherokees to be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#12]
maybe a 2nd gen explorer with the 4.0 but i think the 5.0 is worth the slight hit to mpg. i get 17mpg, highway, 15 on country roads, and :( in the city. if i cruise control it at 65 on the highway i get 23-24 consistently though.  i have a dual exhaust though which supposedly helps.  but it's all the time AWD (i know different years had true 4x4 though) it's an absolute tank in the snow.  

i like the idea of a 4runner too, but explorers are everywhere, and parts are dirt cheap.  i paid $800 for mine, had some annoying electrical issues that weren't worth fixing (windows only work from the drivers control, electric locks only worked from the passenger side, and the switch in the back) and it needed u joints and tires. all said i had a car for under $2k. had 160k on it.

recently did the ball joints and regretted not paying someone to do it though best way for a normal person is to change out the control arms. which since i'm in new england, some bolts were seized in to bushings, and since i did it on the 4th of july, i couldn't get a replacement bolt, so cutting it out wasn't an option.

overall though, it mostly fits the bill and i like mine.

and cherokees are POS's. the rust on pretty much any chrysler vehicle is abnormal imo, something just isn't right. all their cars trucks and suvs rot so much faster than ford's chevy's and imports. except nissan, they're just as bad.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. Engines are tough, light so they are good on trails, and price range is right where you are looking. I'd try to look for an sr5 4x4 in the 99-00 years. There are several 4wd options on these, so be sure you do some research before you buy.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input! 4Runners (in my budget, with clean titles) with under 250,000 miles are rare around here but definitely one of my choices.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Xterra
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not sure, I think she has just "heard it" from other people. I've know the i6 Cherokees to be awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is falling apart, but it's really because I'm unwilling to continue throwing money at it to fix all the annoying things.

It gets about 18mpg if you baby it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
What does your wife know about 4x4s?

Just replaced my crashed YJ with this:

1997 model, 165k miles, in excellent overall mechanical condition but with a few bumps and bruises on the body. Southern Jeep, so no rust at all. 1997-later versions have a much nicer interior than the earlier ones. Keep oil in the 4.0 liter inline 6 and don't overheat it, and it will run almost forever. Very capable off-road with just a few upgrades. $4500. Gets about 15 mpg around town.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have been looking at 2000-2004 used models locally and have found several with around 100K in the $4500-$5000 range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Xterra

Yeah, I see those in my area for similar prices. Had a friend with one when I lived in Montana, seemed like a nice vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Xterra
View Quote

Get a first gen XTERRA

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Cherokees from that era are popular here in Tucson, you see them rattling around the desert all the time.

My friends that have them love them, but are always fixing some small thing or worrying about something or another overheating.

Unless it's really well taken care of, I'm not 100 percent sure I'd want to, say, go cross country, or even to San Francisco, in a Jeep that old.

My coworker just bought a 94' Toyota Pickup for $2k in beautiful condition, and found a cap for $200 on CL. It's a great vehicle, looks freaking awesome, and he's loving it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 1993 2WD 4.0L 5 speed had almost 300K on it when I traded to my BIL for a pickup that I gave to my Dad.  I was still running like a raped ape. I got screwed in that deal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s406.photobucket.com/user/dkm455/media/RJ%201_zpsd4oxy5ux.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/dkm455/RJ%201_zpsd4oxy5ux.jpg</a>

1997 model, 165k miles, in excellent overall mechanical condition but with a few bumps and bruises on the body. Southern Jeep, so no rust at all. 1997-later versions have a much nicer interior than the earlier ones. Keep oil in the 4.0 liter inline 6 and don't overheat it, and it will run almost forever. Very capable off-road with just a few upgrades. $4500. Gets about 15 mpg around town.
View Quote

That's exactly what I had in mind, maybe a little less pretty since I'm just going to beat it up, anyway
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#22]
4Runner for sure.  I know people with well over 300,000 miles on their 3rd-gens who've done very little more than brakes, tires and oil....

There's a Toyota-4Runner (dot org) forum which has tons of examples as well as mods and other priceless info.  

Forget the miles on the odo.   Because they're over-engineered it's far less relevant than with other makes and models. If you want trouble-free reliability look no further
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Look at the last model year or two of the Isuzu Trooper. You're probably looking at 17-18MPG and not quite 20MPG unless you're doing some long range highway driving, but they are roomy, comfortable and should be in your price range.

2001, 2002 model years would be best.

There are lots of them out there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mine is falling apart, but it's really because I'm unwilling to continue throwing money at it to fix all the annoying things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long have you had it and how many miles have you put on it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
4Runner for sure.  I know people with well over 300,000 miles on their 3rd-gens who've done very little more than brakes, tires and oil....

There's a Toyota-4Runner (dot org) forum which has tons of examples as well as mods and other priceless info.  

Forget the miles on the odo.   Because they're over-engineered it's far less relevant than with other makes and models. If you want trouble-free reliability look no further
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm with the others that recommend the Cherokee. I just bought a 96 Grand Cherokee and paid $485 for it. It needed a transmission which cost me $800 installed. Everything else worked including the A/C. 4.0L I-6, true 4x4. I put a long arm lift, tires and a stereo in it and I'm at $5,500.  It's been a fun family off road vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are pretty good, but feel like a cheap tin can next to an FJZ80 Landcruiser.    The prices aren't too much different either, but the LC will only do 16mpg on the highway, bone stock.  Modded, maybe 12-14.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Subaru

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP saig 15-20mpg
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife now drives my mom's old '94 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - it's got ~225K on it, looks almost brand new and gets ~18-20 MPG @75mph on the drive from Sonoma County to LA.  

I think your wife needs to actually drive/ride in one - that's in nice shape.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Xterra
View Quote

agreed but like the Toyota mpg isnt great
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#32]
3rd Gen 4Runner. 1999 or up. I have a 1996 and get 18 mgp.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I had in mind, maybe a little less pretty since I'm just going to beat it up, anyway
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s406.photobucket.com/user/dkm455/media/RJ%201_zpsd4oxy5ux.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/dkm455/RJ%201_zpsd4oxy5ux.jpg</a>

Decent 4x4 Cherokees are getting hard to find down here - they've been popular for a while. They seem to be either completely trashed models with 250k on 'em for $3k, or already lifted with 35s and lots of mods for $7-10k. I was fortunate to find a decent ex-soccer mom version that I can be the one to mess up! Around here when good ones pop up on CL they only last a couple hours. I was the first caller on this one 15-minutes after it was listed, and I bought it. The guy I bought it from was getting calls left and right while I was looking it over. Hard to beat the seller up on the price when he's getting pounded with calls!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Xterra or a Cherokee are the choices.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They are pretty good, but feel like a cheap tin can next to an FJZ80 Landcruiser.    The prices aren't too much different either, but the LC will only do 16mpg on the highway, bone stock.  Modded, maybe 12-14.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen a few Land Cruisers on CL around me that are well-priced. Everything is just so high-mileage so it makes me a little wary.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Subaru

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have seen a few Land Cruisers on CL around me that are well-priced. Everything is just so high-mileage so it makes me a little wary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove my 96 LC with 260K miles on it 8K miles in a month last year.  From LA to NY (and Canada) and many points between.  It never missed a beat.  They are seriously one of the best built and most reliable vehicles on the planet.  The gold standard in Africa, South America, and the Middle East where breaking down may mean death.

If you are at all interested in LCs, read up on them here, some really, really good deals can be found in the classifieds too:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/categories/classifieds.4/

They seat four adults very comfortably, five with a bit of a squeeze, and have seats for 7 if two have no legs.  On the plus side, four adults and tons of camping gear fits great.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 1996, and I bought it in 2006. It has 110,000 miles on it when I got it, and there was nothing wrong with it. It was mechanically perfect in every way, and very clean.

Current list of issues:
Needs a new exhaust (fuck salt)
Needs two new O2 sensors
Driver's side rear door won't open (button does nothing)
Windshield washer fluid pump doesn't work
Electric radiator fan doesn't come on when AC is on (or ever, really)
Rear windshield washer pump doesn't work
Rear hatch will not open unless you hold the handle and bump the door real hard with your ass.
Passenger side front window won't roll down (well sometimes it will - it's intermittent). You gotta do it from the driver's side.
Rear main seal has been replaced three times. It still leaks. It's getting bad. Again.
AC doesn't work. Have no idea why yet - I'm beginning to no longer care.
When coming to a complete stop, there's a loud CLUNK in the driveline as the vehicle settles.
One of the power outlets quit working. Fuse is good. No idea what's going on there yet.
The instrument cluster goes dead if you hit a bump. If you push on the face of it, it comes alive again.
The transmission slips like a bitch in first gear, when it's cold out.
The neutral safety switch is failing. You often have to put the transmission in neutral and apply slight pressure to it (like you're trying to nudge it towards reverse) while turning the ignition key to start it.
The rear backup lights don't work. Bulbs are good, fuses are good. Probably related to the failing neutral safety switch.
The cassette deck stopped working, so playing tunes through a phone and an adapter doesn't work anymore. Time for an aftermarket deck, I guess. I'm starting to no longer give a shit.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm tired of writing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Xterra

other than a subaru, i can't think of anything that fits OP's needs and actually hits 20 or more. and subarus engines are known for blowing head gaskets and pumps from the generation we're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Landcruisers are some of the most overpriced used 4x4s on the market, if not THE most overpriced.

Seriously, go test drive an '02 Trooper. Compared to a 4Runner, Pathfinder or Xterra, they're huge inside but the fuel economy is about the same.

Another possibility would be a Mitsubishi Montero - they're nice rigs, capable 4x4s, and often reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#43]
20 MPG??

Forester

Tahoe is what you want
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+1 but get a 2005 or better one (the second generation).

The "Off Road" model is 4x4 with a locking rear diff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Xterra

This.

+1 but get a 2005 or better one (the second generation).

The "Off Road" model is 4x4 with a locking rear diff.

Thought you sold it for a Jeep
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Decent 4x4 Cherokees are getting hard to find down here - they've been popular for a while. They seem to be either completely trashed models with 250k on 'em for $3k, or already lifted with 35s and lots of mods for $7-10k. I was fortunate to find a decent ex-soccer mom version that I can be the one to mess up! Around here when good ones pop up on CL they only last a couple hours. I was the first caller on this one 15-minutes after it was listed, and I bought it. The guy I bought it from was getting calls left and right while I was looking it over. Hard to beat the seller up on the price when he's getting pounded with calls!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're a dime a dozen around here, especially the ZJ and WJ's. Most of the XJ's are going for about $2500, clean, stock and with around 175k for miles. Modded ones go for about $1000 more. That's why I'm leaning that way, they leave a little extra left over to pay for upgrades. Lots of good suggestions here though so I'll definitely have to do some homework.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

other than a subaru, i can't think of anything that fits OP's needs and actually hits 20 or more. and subarus engines are known for blowing head gaskets and pumps from the generation we're talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Xterra

Agreed!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Landcruisers are some of the most overpriced used 4x4s on the market, if not THE most overpriced.

Seriously, go test drive an '02 Trooper. Compared to a 4Runner, Pathfinder or Xterra, they're huge inside but the fuel economy is about the same.

Another possibility would be a Mitsubishi Montero - they're nice rigs, capable 4x4s, and often reasonably priced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid a whole 3K for my FJZ80, and $8K for my LX450 (with very low miles, factory lockers front and rear).  There are FJ80s all day long for <$5K anywhere in the US.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My wife now drives my mom's old '94 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - it's got ~225K on it, looks almost brand new and gets ~18-20 MPG @75mph on the drive from Sonoma County to LA.  

I think your wife needs to actually drive/ride in one - that's in nice shape.
View Quote

She doesn't really care how it will ride, it is not something she will ride in often. But longevity is a concern so that is good to know.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Thos is easy.

96-99 S10 blazer 4x4, 4 door with 4.3 vortec.

That engine is indestructable. 300k miles is not uncommon for these little monsters to run before having major issues.
The engine is just weak enough with simple offroading you wont break it.
mPG? Lol its a small V6, it gets excellent mpg! And has the power to to what ever you want with in reason, its a v6.
If you want more mpg, it can be tuned for it.
Its cheap as hell to lift.
Parts are dirt cheap and any retarded one armed monkey can fix it with a crescent wrench.
The after market parts community is probably the largest next to a camero or honda civic, anything you want is avalible.
Its big enough inside for average sized people.
Has plenty of room in back for all your gear and has cargo rack on the roof.

Did i mention indestructable? And cheap?
Decide you want to go monster truck with it. Most full size truck driveline bolts in with plung n play adapters.

These can be fpund easily in your price bracket with cash to spare for extra's

2 door

4 door

All of the vehicles listed so far have major issues, the cherokees crack their exhaust manifolds, even after market headers crack. They are not cheap to replace.
They cannot be easily tuned if you decided the sissy engine isnt powerful enough to haul a roll of toilet paper.

The rest of those pos imports. Well, yea fuk them with a stick. Expensive parts, expensive to have them repaired.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Suzuki Samurai
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top