Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2015 12:36:10 PM EDT
Just a fun discussion here.

Why would I even think this might be a good purse gun for my wife?

1. The side or top charging handles would allow her to manipulate it more easily

-Alternative would be to machine a charging handle to the side of a traditional pistol.

2. Being a machinist I could likely remove the grip backstrap and replace the magazine release mechanism for a super slim grip that most double stacked pistols don't have.

3. I like that a lot of the mass is behind the grip so it would be harder to slap out of the hand.

4. If it could at all be practical we know how badass it would be to have a wife carrying one around.
So what pistols could fit the very same bill and also have a smooth trigger and manual safety. Think at least 20rnd magazines with very slim grips.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Make it a briefcase mac, that you can trigger with a button on the briefcase.   Like the mini uzi thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

My only guess is because you've never shot one?

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Punch her in the hand about 20 times, it's easier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope lol, but want to stray from it to something similar that I'm more familiar with so I can make a good decision for her.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Punch her in the hand about 20 times, it's easier.
View Quote
She's a tiny little girl, but has never complained shooting M1 Garands, .44 magnums .etc

She would rather take the pain and put a lot of lead into an assailant.

I honestly didn't think the kick would be that bad since it's 9mm and a heavy built gun. It's cheap enough to buy an not really worry to much about the cost and have a learning experience.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Mac , or Mak?

A Mak wouldn't be a bad little gun for her.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Mac , or Mak?

A Mak wouldn't be a bad little gun for her.
View Quote
Photo of mac not showing up?

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1. The side or top charging handles would allow her to manipulate it more easily
        -Alternative would be to machine a charging handle to the side of a traditional pistol.
2. Being a machinist I could likely remove the grip backstrap and replace the magazine release mechanism for a super slim grip that most double stacked pistols don't have.
3. I like that a lot of the mass is behind the grip so it would be harder to slap out of the hand.
4. If it could at all be practical we know how badass it would be to have a wife carrying one around.

So what pistols could fit the very same bill and also have a smooth trigger and manual safety. Think at least 20rnd magazines with very slim grips.

http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/MPA930T_1.jpg
View Quote

MPA has a MAC version with a redesigned hand grip and takes glock mags. This may be easier than redesigning an handle/grip yourself.

http://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa930dmg-9mm-pistol-aluminum-lower/

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
TP9
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you insane?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#11]
9x19mm 1911 5" w/ a 1st WW aviator mag - there you go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

MPA has a MAC version with a redesigned hand grip and takes glock mags. This may be easier than redesigning an handle/grip yourself.

http://17g3xk34ahga1v23q91j8y5oxka.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/MPA930DMG-5a-300x300.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://17g3xk34ahga1v23q91j8y5oxka.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/MPA930DMG-5a-300x300.jpg

God damnit. . . I want that
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Close your eyes for a moment, and imagine a prosecutor showing that MAC to a jury and making a dramatic play to its appearance if she ever actually has to use it.  You can get Mec Gar 20 round mags for a 92FS, P226, etc... with a relatively small extended base plate.  Or a G17 with +2's.

Engineering-wise, it sounds like a fun project though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you insane?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Are you insane?
View Quote
Yes maybe I am

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

TP9
View Quote

The Khar? that only holds 8 rounds.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#17]
CZ SP-01.  18 round mags (that can be fittted with basepads for 22 or so).  Way, way, way easier to shoot well than any Ingram-pattern gun.  All steel, basically shoots like a rimfire gun.  Light rail, lots of grip/sight options.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TP9

No, this TP9... I SBR'ed mine.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Could be an option for consideration, though a lot more money and likely bigger grip than what I could accomplish.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TP9

No Brugger and Thomet

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Strange, the pics of the woman aren't loading for me... must be a Firefox thing...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  Close your eyes for a moment, and imagine a prosecutor showing that MAC to a jury and making a dramatic play to its appearance if she ever actually has to use it.  You can get Mec Gar 20 round mags for a 92FS, P226, etc... with a relatively small extended base plate.  Or a G17 with +2's.

Engineering-wise, it sounds like a fun project though.
View Quote

I'm seeing the jury clapping, but then I'm in Texas.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Strange, the pics of the woman aren't loading for me... must be a Firefox thing...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Purse carry is a bad idea. Better to have less gun, on the body.

Eta: unless you're talking about a 2nd gun, in which case, carry on.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Actually yes lol. Still need to check on legality of 2 x concealed firearms lol.

She carries .38 bodyguard, but she is a much better shot than the double action trigger allows.

She just needs bigger hands for grip on a slide, so I was going to machine a handle so she could get a firm grip on it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been thinking about getting one of these.

They take Colt 9mm AR mags instead of proper UZI mags, though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Only if she can dual wield two of them, with suppressors.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#30]
You do know there are commercially available flamethrowers now, don't you?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Actually yes lol. Still need to check on legality of 2 x concealed firearms lol.

She carries .38 bodyguard, but she is a much better shot than the double action trigger allows.

She just needs bigger hands for grip on a slide, so I was going to machine a handle so she could get a firm grip on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your wife should check out the Sig p238. My gf has a thumb that doesn't work and the 238 is the only small gun she can rack like its nothing. Also it's a super soft shooter and due to the design a much better trigger than most .380 pocket guns could ever have. Don't let the price scare you off, they can frequently be found for sometimes up to 300 off MSRP during sales. (They're got a sweet oil slick rainbow slide version).

If you think she can deal also check out the p938 for better ballistics.

If she's concerned about concealment with slightly more gun, have her check out some of these really cool options. There's Can Can Concealment (they have stuff in pink which your wife seems to like), Lethal Lace (for something simpler but highly adaptable), or the Telor Tactical belly band for lots of airflow (but less sexy).

I'd recommend giving her a dedicated car PDW way before pursue carry. Purse's are a terrible place for guns, even if they are designed for it. They are the object of theft and also frequently left unattended, not to mention all the difficulties with draw. You want the gun in the same spot on you all the time. Purse's are always in different places. Plus during a DGU now she has to decide which gun to pull, purse or on body.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Your wife should check out the Sig p238. My gf has a thumb that doesn't work and the 238 is the only small gun she can rack like its nothing. Also it's a super soft shooter and due to the design a much better trigger than most .380 pocket guns could ever have. Don't let the price scare you off, they can frequently be found for sometimes up to 300 off MSRP during sales. (They're got a sweet oil slick rainbow slide version).

If she's concerned about concealment with slightly more gun, have her check out some of these really cool options. There's Can Can Concealment (they have stuff in pink which your wife seems to like), Lethal Lace (for something simpler but highly adaptable), or the Telor Tactical belly band for lots of airflow (but less sexy).

I'd recommend giving her a dedicated car PDW way before pursue carry. Purse's are a terrible place for guns, even if they are designed for it. They are the object of theft and also frequently left unattended, not to mention all the difficulties with draw. You want the gun in the same spot on you all the time. Purse's are always in different places. Plus during a DGU now she has to decide which gun to pull, purse or on body.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got the p938 already and it is a lot easier to rack, but again not enough capacity advantage over a revolver.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool!

I have a Sub2k I can purse carry. I like that the mags are compatible with my glock.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Provided it's a newer (frame-mounted firing pin) gun, about $25 worth of Apex and 10-15 minutes can make a world of difference on that trigger....

Apex kit
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nope lol, but want to stray from it to something similar that I'm more familiar with so I can make a good decision for her.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your good idea for a purse gun is a MAC or some other gun with 20 round capacity?  Hire someone else to come up with good ideas.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#36]
XDm is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Are you talking a real SMG or one of the semi-auto clones?

An SMG would be a bad idea for quite a few reasons

A semi-auto clone would be a bad idea for only slightly fewer reasons.

A stock M11/9 SMG is a lot of gun to handle in full auto.

Even a semi like the ones offered by Masterpiece Arms are very heavy with not much to hold onto, They are simple blowback and when you fire, there is a great amount of muzzle flip to control. While I like the top charging handle, it is a heavy bolt and requires a bit of effort to fully cock. Also, there are a lot of sharp edges that I doubt you Wife would like.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
One or the other of these will fit in some of my wife's purses...

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20NFA/AKSBRsfoldedcased_zpsd4eea1e6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20NFA/AKSBRsfoldedcased_zpsd4eea1e6.jpg</a>

Or this...

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20NFA/SerbuSuperShortyright_zps6c56e116.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20NFA/SerbuSuperShortyright_zps6c56e116.jpg</a>

Just sayin'.
View Quote

Serbu shorty aka The BrokenArminator
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Calico M110?  They don't seem that big.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#42]
The wife has a couple purses that would fit my .45 AR, and she loves shooting it

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Great idea.  A big boxy pistol with lots of nice corners and edges guaranteed to weigh her purse down like a cinder block and snag on every damn thing in her purse if she's got to pull it out in a hurry.

Get her a smaller pistol that she can get out and on target faster.  My wife loves her P232. If you're worried about capacity, have her carry and extra mag or two and make sure she gets enough range time to be proficient enough to hit her target without having to hose down the entire neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's fugly
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shoot one, try and use those crap-tastic sights.
You won't buy one if you're a shooter and not a banger.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Great idea.  A big boxy pistol with lots of nice corners and edges guaranteed to weigh her purse down like a cinder block and snag on every damn thing in her purse if she's got to pull it out in a hurry.

Get her a smaller pistol that she can get out and on target faster.  My wife loves her P232. If you're worried about capacity, have her carry and extra mag or two and make sure she gets enough range time to be proficient enough to hit her target without having to hose down the entire neighborhood.
View Quote
The extra weight will help her lose her pregnancy weight faster .

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my first thought, until I saw that it isn't Full Auto.  What fun would a MAC as a purse gun be without Full Auto?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

http://news.topgunreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/uzi-pro1.png

View Quote

Like the looks of that. Grip seems decent but would need to find out first hand.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://news.topgunreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/uzi-pro1.png

View Quote

ME LIKEY!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've got the p938 already and it is a lot easier to rack, but again not enough capacity advantage over a revolver.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not trying to start an argument about revolver vs semi but if shes carrying the revolver, being that we're talking about a woman here, IF shes even carrying a revolver reload shes definitely not carrying it on body, its probably buried in her purse. So If she switches to your p938 she will have SOME capacity advantage plus workable reloads. Slim 938 reloads she can carry on body. Revolver reloads would be like tumors lol.

If you really just want an excuse to buy a MAC type gun or build a little PDW go for it anyway but have it be for the car. Under dash mount, cheap RMR copy like Burris Fastfire, stick mag reloads, maby AOW it with a folding foregrip. That would be very fun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top