Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 12:25:45 PM EDT
I have a client with an issue, sort of, that I can't figure out for the life of me.

It's a Joomla CMS, and it doesn't matter how man W's I put in the url, it still will work. wwwwwwwwwww.clientname.com or www.clientname.com or wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.clientname.com

Even when I start navigated the site, the w's stay the same, it won't resolve to www.clientname.com or clientname.com. There is no SSL yet, if that matters.

Anyone have any idea's as to why it would do this?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I know my hosting company has (I believe it would be DNS) settings where I can dictate how the www structure appears on my sites and what behavior I want if someone strays from that.

For example, I set it to not use www and if someone navigates to www it'll ultimately strip the www from the URL. There may be settings on that end that are creating the behavior you're seeing.

That's weird though, never seen that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
if it won't resolve to the url that its supposed to, its an issue with the DNS or a-record.  That would be my guess.  Check Domain DNS/Nameservers
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if it won't resolve to the url that its supposed to, its an issue with the DNS or a-record.  That would be my guess.  Check Domain DNS/Nameservers
View Quote

I should have mentioned, that yes We looked at the DNS and found nothing. I am going to call them Monday.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I should have mentioned, that yes We looked at the DNS and found nothing. I am going to call them Monday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found nothing as it's not set?  

If the DNS  aren't correct it won't resolve.  Typically takes anywhere from an hour to a day to fully propagate and be viewable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a client with an issue, sort of, that I can't figure out for the life of me.

It's a Joomla CMS, and it doesn't matter how man W's I put in the url, it still will work. wwwwwwwwwww.clientname.com or www.clientname.com or wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.clientname.com

Even when I start navigated the site, the w's stay the same, it won't resolve to www.clientname.com or clientname.com. There is no SSL yet, if that matters.

View Quote

Who is the domain Registrar?  I would check with them first.  Then check the zone file to see if there are any funky edits in there for the A record
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Who is the domain Registrar?  I would check with them first.  Then check the zone file to see if there are any funky edits in there for the A record
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's network solutions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
and to clarify, it's not just w's.... anything you type in front of the clientname.com will work
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
and to clarify, it's not just w's.... anything you type in front of the clientname.com will work
View Quote

Check your server's wildcard entries.

https://www.siteground.com/kb/how_to_add_a_wildcard_dns_record/

That should tell you everything you need to do to resolve it.  Sort of.  You're probably going to need your domain host to fix it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That should tell you everything you need to do to resolve it.  Sort of.  You're probably going to need your domain host to fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bingo! Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

bingo! Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bingo! Thanks!

NP hope you get it fixed
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This was my thought as well.  https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/docs2003/2003-09-20-dns-wildcards/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top