Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was shopping, I was favoring Elite - but ultimately gave up.  Few shops arround me were dealers, and NONE stocked a lefty.  Closest shop to me had about 100 no-cams in stock, 1 Elite.  Bet that had more to do with margins than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive had just about all of them.  I settled on the Mathews Z7 like 5 years ago, said I wouldn't be buying a new bow for a VERY long time.  A friend runs a bow shop so I get to shoot Hoyt, Mathews, PSE...... I was looking pretty hard at last years Hoyt, but knowing I didn't need to buy something different I pass.  I then shot a Mathew HTR No Cam, I would say I was pretty impressed, I like the draw stops which my Z7 didn't have, its SMOOTH and very quiet.  Completely dead after the shot.  

It all boils down to personal preference.  I would say shoot as many as you can and don't pick the bow because of the name, pick which fits you best.  It just so happens that the last two bows of mine have been Mathews, but I am always open to other brands.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Martin makes very good bows-they just don't spend on advertising to keep costs down.  The new Winchester line is very good as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a mission. It's made by Mathews, but half the price since it doesn't have all the bells and whistles
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well then start posting names.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bowtech.

But just look at Hoyt, Bowtech, and Mathews and you'll be good.
This  

No....there are sooo many more bow manufacturers that blow all 3 out of the water for less cash with better customer support.  They're just the ones that advertise the most.

Well then start posting names.

Pointless...I told him to shoot everything he can.  There aren't shops that carry some of the lesser known brands in most places....so why bother throwing up names....

Go to every archery shop within driving distance and shoot every single bow you possibly can.  Buy the one you like the most...regardless of what it says on the box, regardless of the speed, regardless of anything else.  Buy the one that fits you and you enjoy shooting.  Period.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]
they all are good when shooting good

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech or what you shoot the best. Each person has slightly different needs.

I shoot a Mathews Helium and love it. I went into my proshop this season and asked if I should buy a new bow just because. His answer was why? This bow is light, fast and accurate. What else do I need from a hunting bow?

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech or what you shoot the best. Each person has slightly different needs.

I shoot a Mathews Helium and love it. I went into my proshop this season and asked if I should buy a new bow just because. His answer was why? This bow is light, fast and accurate. What else do I need from a hunting bow?

YMMV
View Quote

ive talked about new bows with my shop too. he said some guys are just into it so much they buy a new bow every year, or multiples .. over all the technology doesn't change much, but if they didn't alter the design from year to year the company's would just go out of business.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
mathews.  period.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
PSE, Hoyt and Mathews are all good.  Between those three, I'd say whichever feels best to you. Go to a good bow shop and try 'em all out.

A couple years ago I went bow shopping and was dead set on getting a Mathews until I shot it.  Didn't like how it felt at all.  The Hoyt and PSE were similar but I settled on the PSE because the grip felt a little better.  

Once you get into the nicer bows, there isn't a "wrong" bow really.  Do you really need 380fps vs 350fps?  No.  Both are overkill and you won't be shooting at those speeds anyway.  All the above three are built with good quality components and basic maintenance will keep them running forever.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I said Hoyt in the poll, my next Bow will more than likely be a Hoyt. I Currently have a Darton and it's a great bow, I got it from a buddy when I first started bow hunting in order to get me going. Honestly it's a great bow! If you're not set on a specific Bow, check out Darton to throw in the mix. I say I'll go Hoyt my next bow is because no one around me carries Dartons.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Shoot a Bowtech Prodigy.  On the comfort setting its like butter; way smoother than the draw cycle on the Elite Energy 35 I had before it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Elite Archery.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Mathews Q2 that I bought new years and years ago.  It is like an extension of my arm and I will probably never part with it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nobody shoots a PSE any more?
View Quote
I do

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Been considering a new bow also. I'm still shooting a Line Xi Flatliner I've had since '92 or '93.  It's been a really good bow. But it's time to look at the new offerings.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Damn, bows have changed a lot.

My first one was a laminated riser with wood/fiberglass limbs.

Now I just have a old ass PSE Bruin.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#20]
My next bow will most likely be a Strother.  Right now I'm rocking a Limbsaver Speedzone.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a Mathews Q2 that I bought new years and years ago.  It is like an extension of my arm and I will probably never part with it.
View Quote

That's how I am with my LX, it turns 10 this year!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No kidding man. The last bow I bought was a PSE Precision Edge 5050 back in '92 or so. When I decided to start up again earlier this year I was floored with the stuff that's available now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much everything in the top 1/3 of these manufacturers will be the "best" out there..

how old is your current bow?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I am still hunting with a 1995 Oneida Strike Eagle that I have had since I bought it new. It has killed deer, antelope, elk, hogs and small game, no complaints. I also own Bear, Martin and Hoyt bows but the Oneida is my go to bow for putting food in the freezer. Guess I'm just an archery luddite.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Bowtech is not on the fuckin poll? are you serious?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#26]
My 30" ata bow is a Bear Legion, 34" is a Hoyt Spyder. The draw on Bear is definitely not as smooth and you defining feel a wall to over come during the last 2/3 of the draw cycle.  With the shorter ata bow, the top string is at a significantly steeper angle when at full draw,  resulting in my opinion in a loss of accuracy.  Though  it's easier to many very with it in a stand.  The price  point between both bows are vast.  Thus I feel comfortable talking longer shots with my Hoyt in the field, short  shots out of a stand Wirth the Bear.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My 30" ata bow is a Bear Legion, 34" is a Hoyt Spyder. The draw on Bear is definitely not as smooth and you defining feel a wall to over come during the last 2/3 of the draw cycle.  With the shorter ata bow, the top string is at a significantly steeper angle when at full draw,  resulting in my opinion in a loss of accuracy.  Though  it's easier to many very with it in a stand.  The price  point between both bows are vast.  Thus I feel comfortable talking longer shots with my Hoyt in the field, short  shots out of a stand Wirth the Bear.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I want a shot of what you are having
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I like my PSE.  I took it out shooting today and it has a super smooth draw.  It's my meat gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm looking at getting a Bowtech Experience for myself for Christmas.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm looking at getting a Bowtech Experience for myself for Christmas.
View Quote

Buddy of mine has one set up for shooting league and 3D shoots. It's a pretty damn nice bow. I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

Other than that, I shoot a Hoyt for a very good reason - Mathews put out some serious garbage for a while and didn't stand behind their product. Mostly with the Reezen and Z7. The No Cam is a pretty nice bow, but if I was going Mathews I'd buy a Monster. It's a better shooting bow IMHO.

I'd run, not walk, away from PSE. I try to shoot everybody's top of the line hunting bows every year. I haven't shot a PSE I like yet.

So whenever I get around to buying a new bow (probably this winter) I'm either going Bowtech or Hoyt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Loved my Bowtech guardian
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#32]
How hard is it to shoot a bow from a ground blind? I haven't bow hunted in 10 years but I'm kinda getting the itch.
Thing is I really don't like climbing trees anymore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Hoyt is my go-to, and has been for 14 years. Athens and Elite are tied for second. Pretty much any brand these days is going to be a quality bow. The exception to that is Mathews, as I've never seen as many quality and performance problems than with them. They're the Yeti coolers of archery, a status symbol that doesn't live up to the hype.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Matthews
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Archerytalk cancer has spread to the GD of Arfcom

If anyone thinks they don't shoot as well as they could because they have the wrong brand, they are sadly mistaken.  You can't buy better scores / groups.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Was looking around the same as OP...

Liked bear for the price... drew on a Bear... hated it...

Like PSE for speed and price... uncomfortable... short ATA for my price range...

Like Hoyt for grip comfort... draw was meh...

Like Bowtech for a special offer I got from a friend... grip sucked... finish left alot to be desired...

Stopped by my local Mathews dealer (KNOWING they would try to push mathews)... found theMission Blaze...

HOLY. SHET.

33 ATA. 340 IBO. 63lbs at 30in is a dream. Im in absolute love... brought it home Monday...

Ive shot it everyday since... Im gonna shoot it everyday...

I. Love. This. Bow.

Will post pics tonight

Go try a bunch of bows... shoot what fits and feels good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bowtech.

View Quote

I'll go with this
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I shoot a Mission, which is a subsidiary of Mathews. They get the Mathews tech a year or two later. Mine has the ASV Dual Cam, and it's sweet. Cost me about $500 for the bow, $750 with sights/rest/stab/VH grips
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No....there are sooo many more bow manufacturers that blow all 3 out of the water for less cash with better customer support.  They're just the ones that advertise the most.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bowtech.

This  

LULZ.

Hoyt is kind of so so unless you buy into there top line stuff.

Mathews and Bowtech are both win win.

My wife and I both shoot Bowtech proline bows, had mine since 2008.

We're both very happy with them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#42]
When I got into archery, I had trouble finding bows that had a long enough draw length for me 31-32".
Bowtech was one company that had cam modules you could change out to change draw and had several that got up to my draw length, so I have stuck with Bowtech ever since.

Had a Mathews I used for target 3-D for a while, draw was really smooth but it just didn't work for me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I shoot a Mathews Z9
I took a look at a few others at the time but to me it was no contest. Not the fastest but the easiest to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

With bows being quite a bit shorter axle to axle than they were 10 years ago, it's fun again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How hard is it to shoot a bow from a ground blind? I haven't bow hunted in 10 years but I'm kinda getting the itch.

With bows being quite a bit shorter axle to axle than they were 10 years ago, it's fun again.

And blinds getting bigger (hub style) makes it nice, too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I really love my strother infinity. They make much better bow than that one now and are priced really well. Hard to find a shop that carries them to get your hands on one to try though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do have to break out the Kodiak Magnum for those times.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I just bought a new Primos Blind Luck to hunt out of this year.  It's huge.  Can't wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And blinds getting bigger (hub style) makes it nice, too.

I just bought a new Primos Blind Luck to hunt out of this year.  It's huge.  Can't wait.

Have yall tried shooting through the screens with a bow?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Shot a Bowtech for years, switched to a Matthew's 10 years ago and have not looked back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I like this thread but now I want to spend money.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top