Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love happy endings.
View Quote
It's not happy, really.  Those two assholes: the cop and procsecutor, are still harassing normal people.

Cheers to the guy who had his life disrupted over petty bullshit, for getting a payout.  I wonder how much he will get to keep, after lawyers, though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

like the cop shows..... the next time he ends up being looked at by the cops...
"suspect has no record, but he was arrested in 2012, for posession of a gravity knife.... but he beat that wrap somehow... the da must have stepped on his dick back then... this guy had a history, he just has not gotten caught obviously, or he got lucky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But does this man still have a criminal record? Is it expunged? Are all his photos and prints removed from "all" data bases? Are all arrest records removed from history?

Nope.

"suspect has no record, but he was arrested in 2012, for posession of a gravity knife.... but he beat that wrap somehow... the da must have stepped on his dick back then... this guy had a history, he just has not gotten caught obviously, or he got lucky.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's in the article.

http://i.imgur.com/MvJSdZL.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love to see a pic of said "gravity knife".

It's in the article.

Good thing it wasn't a real Spyderco. Would have sucked even more to lose a good knife.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My friend was arrested for a Spyderco Endura in Queens. Judge tossed the case at arraignment but it cost him a police job he was trying to get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a Spyderco would be considered evil in NY?

My friend was arrested for a Spyderco Endura in Queens. Judge tossed the case at arraignment but it cost him a police job he was trying to get.

Bullshit like that is why I will never set foot in New York State.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]
This is an actual "gravity knife". They were German WWII weapons, more than anything, which accounts for their popularity.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Here's a long, but detailed article about the gravity knife shenanigans:

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/how-a-50s-era-new-york-knife-law-has-landed-thousands-in-jail-6662589#page-all

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Looks like some PDs are finally getting the message.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better to take the paycheck and pension and just not make any arrests to be safe.
Still training the rookies after retirement, eh?

I believe Baltimore PD is leading the charge on this.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/how-a-50s-era-new-york-knife-law-has-landed-thousands-in-jail-6662589#page-all

View Quote
Good God! that place reaks of bullshit!

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's why I had my Spyderco PM2 in my fucking sock when I went to go see Hamilton.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better to take the paycheck and pension and just not make any arrests to be safe.
Still training the rookies after retirement, eh?

NYPD shut it down a year before they did.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Delmonico should pay the settlement out of his wages or pension. Weng should have to pay at least 40% just because she is stupid.

Only way you'll put an end to that bullshit, some personal accountability for that level of stupidity.
Never happen.  

If cops are personally responsible for paying for illegal arrests then nobody will be a cop.

This.

Pro active work? Fuck that.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If cops are personally responsible for paying for illegal arrests then nobody will be a cop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Delmonico should pay the settlement out of his wages or pension. Weng should have to pay at least 40% just because she is stupid.

Only way you'll put an end to that bullshit, some personal accountability for that level of stupidity.

Never happen.  

Then in the strictest meaning of the term, they will never actually be true professionals.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

We had a cop in my precinct who had at least 25 years on the job and he had less than 5 arrests in his career. Not much work related stress for him. Even when the department started with their plan to have every cop, including those with inside positions, make at least one arrest per quarter they let him slide.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Then in the strictest meaning of the term, they will never actually be true professionals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#ohwell
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

#ohwell
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#ohwell

I don't much care either,  but dems da the facts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a Spyderco would be considered evil in NY?

I don't blame you at allbecause NY sucks, but it's because of new york city. Upstate ny doesn't have this bullshit.  NYC is a complete commie shit hole that is like a cancerous tumor to the rest of the state.  NYC and its fucktard politicians elected by its fucktard people truly and deeply suck.  Also, their pizza and bagels are average at best. Fuck that place.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We had a cop in my precinct who had at least 25 years on the job and he had less than 5 arrests in his career. Not much work related stress for him. Even when the department started with their plan to have every cop, including those with inside positions, make at least one arrest per quarter they let him slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We just had a county wide meeting where search laws were gone over extensively.

All taught by lawyers.

After the morning block of instruction, the afternoon was scenario skills using the block of information from earlier.

The A.P. had a stroke when they used the information that was provided. They even called the AP back in where they went to a verbal clash that lasted almost 30'minutes.

And these are who we are supposed to get our advice from?

Yeah, ZFG. Just make sure the bi weekly deposit is made.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't blame you at allbecause NY sucks, but it's because of new york city. Upstate ny doesn't have this bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't blame you at allbecause NY sucks, but it's because of new york city. Upstate ny doesn't have this bullshit.

True, upstate has deputies who slap and threaten people who refuse to consent to a vehicle search.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the hell did he do with his time?  I would assume that there's some sort of performance monitoring in place where he would have to report that he did something for two thousand hours a year.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But does this man still have a criminal record? Is it expunged? Are all his photos and prints removed from "all" data bases? Are all arrest records removed from history?

Nope.

That's what I do for a living. You are correct. Purpose code C and Z all day all night!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never happen.  

Yeah but then it's 20 years of graveyard shifts because....the non-existent quotas.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

True, upstate has deputies who slap and threaten people who refuse to consent to a vehicle search.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure that never happens nyc.
The cop who did that is not a cop anymore.  How often do nyc cops get fired or forced to resign for their douchbagery?
I wouldn't be surprised if that upstate cop who slapped that guy was a transplant from downstate.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like gravity knife arrests don't happen upstate.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/buffalo/three-arrested-in-car-for-having-gravity-knife-and-marijuana-20140206

http://roc.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110214/NEWS05/110211036/EAST-ROCHESTER-POLICE-reports-Weapon-possession

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5282789/
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I've never understood how the deployment of a knife blade is dangerous. Most spring assisted knives open up as fast or faster than a switch blade. Fixed blade knives are ready the second they come out of the sheath. Then again these idiots ban things based on T.V. and movies like everyone with a silencer is a hit man or something.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah but then it's 20 years of graveyard shifts because....the non-existent quotas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean graveyard shift where you make thousands more a year than day shift cops because of night diff pay?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never happen.  

Reduce the number of cops then.   That'll be just as safe and cost less.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never happen.  

Fine by me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Why thefuckdoes it matter the way a knife opens
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why thefuckdoes it matter the way a knife opens
View Quote

Well, pfft.  Obviously one is scarier than the other.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

NYC - where gravity is illegal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I love happy endings.
View Quote

If you are carrying a knife that looks illegal dont cry if its seized.

This is going to be overturned on appeal. Police have to put up with enough shit already, without people baiting them with "grey area" things and hoping for a payout.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You mean graveyard shift where you make thousands more a year than day shift cops because of night diff pay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And take a snoozer in the cruiser.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Good thing it wasn't a real Spyderco. Would have sucked even more to lose a good knife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Love to see a pic of said "gravity knife".

It's in the article.

Used to sell those at work , still have a few in the drawer

Very sharp and so fragile they are dangerous
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is going to be overturned on appeal. Police have to put up with enough shit already, without people baiting them with "grey area" things and hoping for a payout.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love happy endings.

Doesn't matter what it looks like, only matters if it's actually illegal or not. And I think the plaintiff is more concerned over the arrest than the confiscation. NYC has been touting an arbitrary definition of what constitutes an "illegal knife" for over a decade now. The only way you'll get a solid definition out of them is to pound it outta them in the courts. Ask the owner of Iceberg Army Navy about the shit NYPD did to him over knives after 30 some years of taking care of LEO's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I Had the pleasure of being detained and "questioned" by 3 of NY's Finest at the corner of 61st and Broadway because I had my clip to my knife showing outside the front pocket.  1 officer was trying like hell to get it to flick open aka a gravity knife.  Nice white guy sippin a starbucks sitting on a hydrant then WHAMO 3 cops all up in my face.  Weird experience.  Told him I used it for work and eating apples.  I guess the apple juice gunk gummed up the knife because it wouldnt flick open...

They insisted on seeing my union book to make sure I was a worker on a construction job.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Just visited New York city.
Left all my folders at home.
I carried a sheath knife instead, as those with a blade 4" or less are legal.
Just be sure to carry it inside a pocket.

The knife on the left is perfectly legal; the one on the right could get you sent to jail.

So What Knives ARE Legal in New York City, Anyway? The Answer Might Surprise You
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#40]

July 27, 2015: Knife Rights last week filed a Rule 28(j) Notice of Supplemental Authorities in Knife Rights' Federal Civil Rights lawsuit against New York City and District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. A Rule 28(j) filing is used to "bring pertinent and significant authorities" to the Court's attention after oral argument (in our case, back in January of this year), but before the decision is announced.

In this instance the U.S. Supreme Court recently issued an 8-1 decision in the case of Johnson v United States which bolstered Knife Rights' argument that the New York State law regarding gravity knives is unconstitutionally vague as applied by NYC and the DA to common folding knives (which are distinct from gravity knives because of their bias towards closure).

Justice Scalia wrote the opinion, which determined the residual clause in question to be in violation of the Fifth Amendment. Scalia described the statute as a "failed enterprise" that invited "arbitrary enforcement." He declared that individuals are unconstitutionally deprived of due process when they are convicted under "a criminal law so vague that it fails to give ordinary people fair notice of the conduct it punishes."

We noted that SCOTUS also held that to survive a vagueness challenge the law must be clear in all its applications, not just some.

Justice Scalia wrote, "our holdings squarely contradict the theory that a vague provision is constitutional merely because there is some conduct that clearly falls within the provision's grasp." So, even if the state gravity knife law is not vague in some instances, this decision goes directly to the City's and DA's "wrist flick" test because no one can know if any Common Folding Knife is legal since the test is inherently subjective and thereby is unconstitutionally vague in at least this particular instance.

For more details including the DA's unsubstantial response letter, click on "Read More>>>>" below. - See more at: http://www.kniferights.org/#sthash.4iKEPKzo.dpuf

http://www.kniferights.org/
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Knife Rights v. NYC / DA Vance Lawsuit Update

It still isn't safe for honest law-abiding citizens with a perfectly legal knife in their pocket to walk the streets of New York City, or take the subway. Knife Rights' legal team continues to help new clients who have been arrested and continues to get their cases dismissed, the latest just last week. But, that still leaves these victims of NYC District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr's persecution out of pocket a good deal of money, their valuable time (to say nothing of sleepless nights) and the persecution continues. That's why we filed a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit back in June.

Knife Rights' lawsuit against DA Vance and the City of New York continues to move forward. The State of New York has been dropped as a defendant after it determined that the events occurring in New York City are strictly a New York City issue, rather than an issue of state law. That is good for us.

Recently, the City filed its response to our Complaint, and as expected, DA Vance filed a motion to dismiss the suit. We are presently working to respond to the DA's motion.  

The City does not appear to dispute the lawsuit's basic claim that NYPD officers are using New York's "gravity knife" law to prosecute possession of common and ordinary folding knives. As anticipated, it appears that both the City and the DA intend to argue that the "gravity knife" law encompasses one-hand-opening and assisted-opening folding knives, and hence, that the law is not "impermissibly vague" as we claim. That circular argument is no surprise; after all, that's the root of the lawsuit and those are the issues we are prepared to go to trial on.

A magistrate judge has been assigned, which will help move things along quicker (that being a relative term considering this is federal litigation) and Judge Ellis has scheduled a court conference for early November. We are hopeful that we will be able to begin discovery from the City and DA Vance after this conference. No doubt there will be potholes aplenty along this road, but that's how it works when you go toe to toe with one of the most powerful cities and DA in the country. We're up to the fight.  

In the meantime, never carry your knife clipped to your pocket in New York City. Even when covered by a jacket, simply moving the jacket aside to get to a wallet has been enough to get folks arrested. Always ensure your knife is completely concealed at all times.  

If you are arrested for possession of an "illegal knife" in New York, please contact Knife Rights at: [email protected]  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Last month, the city settled another suit involving Delmonico for $120,000 in which he was accused of falsely arresting a man who laughed at the cop after a perpetrator had outrun him, according to lawyer Brett Klein.
View Quote

Clearly a class act.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Clearly a class act.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Last month, the city settled another suit involving Delmonico for $120,000 in which he was accused of falsely arresting a man who laughed at the cop after a perpetrator had outrun him, according to lawyer Brett Klein.

Clearly a class act.

Civil suits are the cost of doing business.  He's not actually a bad cop until criminal proceedings are complete.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Gravity knives open via gravity, you open the lock with blade pointed at ground and gravity pulls the blade out. Flick test is not gravity, it is inertia, force is applied and stopped abruptly allowing the blade to continue opening under laws of inertia. Surely a 5th grade science student can explain this to the satisfaction of a jury?!?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

" suspect has no record, but he was arrested in 2012, for posession of a illegal conceiled weapon...so, he has a history of carrying weapons.... he beat that wrap somehow... the da must have stepped on his dick back then... this guy had a history, he just has not gotten caught obviously, or he got lucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

" suspect has no record, but he was arrested in 2012, for posession of a illegal conceiled weapon...so, he has a history of carrying weapons.... he beat that wrap somehow... the da must have stepped on his dick back then... this guy had a history, he just has not gotten caught obviously, or he got lucky.

??

ETA: Looks like I was late to the party
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Civil suits are the cost of doing business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly a class act.

Civil suits are the cost of doing business.

Obviously.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

NYC - where gravity is illegal.
View Quote

Maybe deblasio will repeal the laws of gravity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#49]
It's not just NY-

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5½) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.

San Antonio TX law.

My BIL lives there & when he saw my Benchmade Rift (3.5") a couple of years ago, he said it was illegal there.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Given how much you hate how some of these people work, DA included, I'm don't know how you lasted so long doing the job. The one good thing is that instead of being a complete black and white POS I'd think you were a more of the "spirit of the law" kind of guy and that's what we need. Then again, I can see being a LEO of the latter, that could bite you in the ass too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Given how much you hate how some of these people work, DA included, I'm don't know how you lasted so long doing the job. The one good thing is that instead of being a complete black and white POS I'd think you were a more of the "spirit of the law" kind of guy and that's what we need. Then again, I can see being a LEO of the latter, that could bite you in the ass too.

No comment.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top