Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Make sure he is 100% reliable off-leash.

It takes a lot of work, but it pays off huge when you meet other hikers/hunters and they comment on how well mannered your dog is.
View Quote
This is important.

Not saying you should walk with him off the leash but...

If you were to trip and fall and let go of the leash, would he run off?

I have a husky....once he's free...he'll run for MILES.

I put my Husky in the garage one bad, rainy day. Told my wife not to open the garage because the dog is in there, like usual when the weather is really bad.

Wife is too busy talking to her mom to read my text message she knew she got. Opened the garage and off my Husky went. She stopped the car, and took off running after him in the rain with the car running in the driveway.

She chased him down about 1.5miles down the road. The only reason he didn't run further was because he saw a subdivision and thought it would be a great place to piss on all the mailboxes. Though, whenever shot got close to him, he'd take off running again. Luckily someone saw her and blocked the dog with his truck, grabbed him, and chunked him in the truck bed and took her and the dog back home.

AND get a harness.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Hesitant as a mofo
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is important.   Not saying you should walk with him off the leash but...

I put my Husky in the garage one bad, rainy day. Told my wife not to open the garage because the dog is in there, like usual when the weather is really bad.
Wife is too busy talking to her mom to read my text message she knew she got. Opened the garage and off my Husky went. She stopped the car, and took off running after him in the rain with the car running in the driveway.
She chased him down about 1.5miles down the road. The only reason he didn't run further was because he saw a subdivision and thought it would be a great place to piss on all the mailboxes. Though, whenever shot got close to him, he'd take off running again. Luckily someone saw her and blocked the dog with his truck, grabbed him, and chunked him in the truck bed and took her and the dog back home.

AND get a harness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make sure he is 100% reliable off-leash.

It takes a lot of work, but it pays off huge when you meet other hikers/hunters and they comment on how well mannered your dog is.
This is important.   Not saying you should walk with him off the leash but...

AND get a harness.

My coonhound can and has started running deer and moose and stops when told.

Proper training is important

A good recall is invaluable
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Last of the Dogmen
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Same here.  I trust my dogs off-leash now, but it took a long time to get to this point.  What did people do before e-collars?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We hike off leash, but it took a lot of e collar training.

Same here.  I trust my dogs off-leash now, but it took a long time to get to this point.  What did people do before e-collars?

Long leads and lots of time.

I have chased more than one coonhound through a marsh to administer some correction after taking off on a deer.

So much easier just to push the little red button.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My walker is a great hunting dog. Its just training and discipline
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a beagle, so there is no hiking with him.  If he's off his lead, he's hunting.  I'd like to be able to take him places without that happening, but it is what it is when you're talking about a good hunting dog.

I actually think beagles are bred slightly retarded.

I have seen lots of them, and they are all hunters through and through.

They have the same hunt as a full sized hound, but it's in a smaller package so there is more hard headedness per cubic inch of dog.

I would never own one, and I love rabbit hunting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can e-collars be used on all dogs? I’ve got a whippet who loves to go on walks/hikes and is ok off leash when we head out, but when we start to walk back to the car or house he just runs full speed. Would an e-collar help?
View Quote

They only work if the dog knows the command they are ignoring, or you are trying to correct reactionary behavior.

If you just zap a dog that doesn't know any better it won't learn shit.

I use one for my coon hound, if I call to load up and I see on the GPS that he is still screwing off he gets another call and then some juice. You need to think of them as really long leashes, once the dog knows what it should be doing, you use the collar to help teach it that it always needs to be doing it, not just when it feels like it.

I would never use one on my lab, he is so sensitive to correction that he looks like he's going to cry if I scold him verbally, my hound will just shoot a look like "Bet you can't catch me fucker"

The most correction I have had to use on the lab is what is essentially a mosquito swat on his ass, and that is only if he is so excited he can't control it, sort of like slapping a delirious person to calm them down a bit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They have the same hunt as a full sized hound, but it's in a smaller package so there is more hard headedness per cubic inch of dog.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a beagle, so there is no hiking with him.  If he's off his lead, he's hunting.  I'd like to be able to take him places without that happening, but it is what it is when you're talking about a good hunting dog.

I love my beagle.  Don't use her for hunting though.

Smartest and quietest dog I've ever owned.  Strange...  Only noise you hear out of her is when someone gets home, then she goes fucking nuts.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those of you who hike with your dog, what steps did you take when you first started?

I've watched videos, but I mainly come across things to bring.

Did you buy "dog boots"?
View Quote

Dog boots should be part of you first aid kit. Depends on the terrain.
My first dog did fine dog number 2 had the pads come off all for feet in the middle of nowhere and duct tape wouldn't stick.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How the hell do wolves, foxes and coyotes ever get along without dog boots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those of you who hike with your dog, what steps did you take when you first started?

Did you buy "dog boots"?

Dog boots?!
Your dog has paws made for the outdoors....

Just bring him food and water adequate for the length hike you are taking.

Thought the same thing, however, my dog recently lost some padding on his back feet just for walking on the sidewalk for about an hour.

He's not outdoors throughout the day, so he's got sensitive pads from what I can tell

ETA: I'm in arizona, so I'm limited to rocky desert hikes.

My dogs carry packs which adds a load on the feet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
We use this. It is awesome stuff. I

t puts a thin coat on the paws to help protect from heat. We used to live in Texas and it even helped on pavement.  In snow it keeps the snow from sticking to the hair between their toes and balling up, our Aussies really had problems with ice forming and they would chew at it constantly. A light coat of musher's secret and no more problems.

Also, it's clear and dries fast so you don't have to worry about them tracking it all over the house.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Smartest and quietest dog I've ever owned.  Strange...  Only noise you hear out of her is when someone gets home, then she goes fucking nuts.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y403/SirCutsAlot/P3040122_zps5a49cf00.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wife has a Chihuahua. It's broke. It never barks; It has never barked. EVER

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in favor of dog boots.

Yes, dog paws were made for the outdoors......but trails are not the same as "the outdoors."  They are artificially hardened, get hotter than the ground due to lack of vegetation.  Not to mention that your dog's paws are not likely not accustomed to such issues unless they have been conditioned already.  Kind of like soft hands vs  working hands.  

Additionally, they help keep burs out of their paws, reduce fatigue, and prevent injury from rocks, or heat....all of which can make a nice hike into a nightmare.

Now, if I just go into the woods, no boots.  But if I'm truly hiking, they get boots because I don't want to have to pack them out.

Mine are Ruffwear, and they are nicely made.

I also have a pack for my Akita so that he can carry his own water and bowl so I don't have to.

And the first bit while they are figuring out how to walk in boots.....fucking hilarious.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Belle was a year old before I heard her growl, first night at a new place.  She was about 1.5 before I ever heard her bark.  She has a great bark/bay.  Sounds much larger than she is lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#16]

I put him on the lead and let him pull me up the hill.

Then he pulls me down the hill

that is all!

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like Ultra Paws dog boots. Worn when one of my dogs hurts her pad. My dogs don't walk funny in these like they do the Ruffwear ones. I bring a pair while hiking now in case a dog hurts a pad. Haven't needed them.

Most trails I've hiked on require leashed dogs. On ones that don't I leash them on the way out and off leash on the way back. I've had dogs try to run down an extremely  steep slope because they saw a lake way the heck down in the valley. Only the leash prevented her from being toast. Goldens

Most peoples dogs don't have a death wish though.

View Quote

+1 on the ultra's
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you buy "dog boots"?

Dog boots?!
Your dog has paws made for the outdoors....

Just bring him food and water adequate for the length hike you are taking.

Thought the same thing, however, my dog recently lost some padding on his back feet just for walking on the sidewalk for about an hour.

He's not outdoors throughout the day, so he's got sensitive pads from what I can tell

ETA: I'm in arizona, so I'm limited to rocky desert hikes.

Desert cities in southwestern states during summer the pavement gets insanely hot. Way above what aby animal can walk on without issue. Dirt is not nearly as bad. When it's 110f the pavement is likely 165f +.  Never measured a rock in the desert but I'd assume it's close. Coyotes stay in their den during the day in these places.

I take my husky to Bryce canyon/Bryan head for hikes in the summer and he does fine though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#20]

"Fuck you for laughing at me, but I REALLY want that treat"
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought those for my dog, no fucking way in hell he will wear them.

also being in AZ its probably a good idea to get your dog used to dog boots, wasn't there a guy that was just arrested for animal cruelty or something for taking his dog hiking in AZ and the dogs feet got burned?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Probably so. Just a little cautious now.

The dog has drama like a woman. I just paid for his surgery to remove blockage last month, so I'm trying to cover all bases.

Not to mention his allergies, and now torn pads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you're overthinking this.  Go to the trail with some water and a bowl, and walk.

Probably so. Just a little cautious now.

The dog has drama like a woman. I just paid for his surgery to remove blockage last month, so I'm trying to cover all bases.

Not to mention his allergies, and now torn pads.

i want to say your dog didn't get torn pads but burned pads. you live in arizona. I won't walk a dog during the day around vegas unless we are in dirt or grass too much rock or asphalt and they will burn the shit out of their feet. dog boots would probably help with this
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top