Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Bill Watterson never lived in the spotlight.  He hasn't really done any interviews, and I'm not sure anyone knows where he lives now.

He wanted to end the strip when it was at its best and I can respect that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My infant son's name is Calvin. His middle name is Malcolm, inspired from Firefly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may have a son whose middle name is Calvin.

My wife and I are seriously considering naming our next son Calvin and our next dog Hobbes

My infant son's name is Calvin. His middle name is Malcolm, inspired from Firefly.

Soooo, he is named after Malcolm In the Middle?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

While cool, I refuse to buy unlicensed products.

Bill never licensed anything other then a small run of coffee cups back in the late 1980's. (Which, go for thousands. If you can find one. It was a syndicate office item.) So, it would A. Be theft. B. Go against his principals for C&H.
View Quote
I suppose you could make your own.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#4]

My dad turned me onto Calvin & Hobbes when I was in 2nd grade in 88.  I always loved this on . It reminds me of some of the funny stuff my dad told me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bill never licensed anything other then a small run of coffee cups back in the late 1980's. (Which, go for thousands. If you can find one. It was a syndicate office item.) So, it would A. Be theft. B. Go against his principals for C&H.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots and lots of great Calvin and Hobbes tshirts here...

https://www.teepublic.com/gifts/calvin-and-hobbes

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mikepiet/media/grid.jpg_zps2itgrsqg.png.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/mikepiet/grid.jpg_zps2itgrsqg.png</a>

Never bought any myself, but I would have more of a problem if he did create merchandise. It's really just fans who are looking for the product because they love the strip.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I sort of understand your comment in red, but not entirely. Jim Davis marketed Garfleld to the point that it was crass and Charles Schulz should have thrown in the towel a long time ago. Gary Larsen never pulled a gun and made me buy a Far Side calendar.

I respect his desire to control the distribution of his work, but aside from the money, a lot of people would have loved to own a piece of something they truly enjoyed. I thought it was a touch of reverse snobbery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kept all my Calvin and Hobbes comics.

As a kid, I always wanted a Hobbes doll (the version where he is "inanimate", not "alive"). Didn't know until later that I could never find one because Watterson never sold the rights.

I think that that fact says a lot about his artistic integrity. He could have made  a MINT selling that franchise!

Long story short, my girlfriend made me a handmade Hobbes doll using pictures from the internet and comics for me for our first Christmas together. Damn near brought a tear to my eye; that something I mentioned to her in passing one day was put together by hand.

This coming Christmas will be our third together. She is a special lady, that's for sure.

I sort of understand your comment in red, but not entirely. Jim Davis marketed Garfleld to the point that it was crass and Charles Schulz should have thrown in the towel a long time ago. Gary Larsen never pulled a gun and made me buy a Far Side calendar.

I respect his desire to control the distribution of his work, but aside from the money, a lot of people would have loved to own a piece of something they truly enjoyed. I thought it was a touch of reverse snobbery.

I totally agree with that statement! I'd have jumped on it as soon as it appeared. But imagine the author loving C&H  FAR more than anyone on this thread. Throw in just a bit of dislike/hatred of corporate capitalism and you begin to see into his motivation. Add to that the fact that he most likely would not be as nearly well-paid for his license as the outsider may imagine*, and you can see why he wouldn't enjoy marketing the image.

*Many times when the ink on the contract has dried, the owner of the license subject finds that he's in a far less advantageous position that he thought he'd be. Add to this the well-known Chinese respect for copyright laws, and you can see that it'll become a mess that no one in his right mind would get in to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
my favorites were the Snow Goons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Too many good memories from C&H over the years.  Makes a damn stark contrast to the crapola going on in today's world.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<-------------
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<-------------

That's a cool avatar. Last words and last frame.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<-------------

Thanks.  I have it framed in my office.  Mine and my kids motto.   Long time fan.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Universal appeal!

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Universal appeal!

http://www.vegetus.org/vegtoon/fish.gif
View Quote

Yah... Translation?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#14]
"Are the fish biting?"

"Fuck off, Hobbes."

Might not be quite accurate, though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Are the fish biting?"

"Fuck off, Hobbes."

Might not be quite accurate, though.
View Quote

That works too

" Drop dead,  Hobbes" was the original dialogue

Google says this one was translated to "Shut up,  Hobbes"
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Growing up my parents often said that my childhood was a lot like the strip. I used to kamakasi down steep hills in my wagon. I was also kinda reflective and observant for a kid. Now that I'm a dad it's cool to see it in my daughter.
View Quote

this was how kids were raised back then. I encouraged my son to do the same. kids like ours will be the enchanted ones later in life.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top