Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 9:56:39 PM EDT
My house is pier and beam.  I want to "T" off a gas line under the house, and make it poke out the back of the house where I will put a quick disconnect type fitting on it.  Purpose being to connect a NG generator.

Are there any rules about plumbing this?  Mainly:

1)  Rules about proximity to windows or doors
2)  Rules about proximity to electrical outlets or service
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#1]
no rules, unless you want it code.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no rules, unless you want it code.  
View Quote

Yes, I want it to code.

Does code say anything about what I want to do?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.kohlergenerators.com/common/pdf/tp6810.pdf

check page 15

Not much on location of windows and doors , if this was a pool heater their would be a whole chapter for location

Quick disconnect is a bad idea

I would make one suggestion and that being make sure your gas meter and lines are big enough to supply gas to all appliances in the house at the same time

Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Gas isn't like water. You cant just cut in a tee without taking into account the BTU demand on the system. I suspect that your gas line is currently 3/4" or 1" low pressure.

Take a look at engineeringtoolbox.com for gas pipe sizing.

Be aware that pipe type, pressure, length of run and fitting counts all come into play when sizing.

A natural gas generator is typically a high BTU draw. A 3/4" pipe is likely too small. A 1" is marginal unless you are close to the regulator.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You might be better off to run a dedicated line teed off right after your gas meter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You might be better off to run a dedicated line teed off right after your gas meter.
View Quote

That's what I would like to avoid if possible.

I only have 2 gas appliances right now, water heater and furnace.  So I should have a bit of capacity to play with.  It's only a 3200/4000 watt peak generator.  (for now )
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Off topic,
Do you intend to power a water pump with the generator?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Off topic,
Do you intend to power a water pump with the generator?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gas isn't like water. You cant just cut in a tee without taking into account the BTU demand on the system. I suspect that your gas line is currently 3/4" or 1" low pressure.

Be aware that pipe type, pressure, length of run and fitting counts all come into play when sizing.

A natural gas generator is typically a high BTU draw. A 3/4" pipe is likely too small. A 1" is marginal unless you are close to the regulator.
View Quote

Everything said above is correct.
Also likely that the gas meter and regulator provided by your utility company will be too small. Typical residential meter is a 250k BTU. They can be overrun but the pressure loss across the diaphragm can be significant.
First step is to find the BTU requirements for the generator.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
More info

http://www.uscarburetion.com/natural-gas.htm

Again Good Luck
View Quote

Yeah I was just looking at that too.  I will map out my gas system to have a compete understanding of what I have to work with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Also likely that the gas meter and regulator provided by your utility company will be too small. Typical residential meter is a 250k BTU. They can be overrun but the pressure loss across the diaphragm can be significant.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rule of thumb is 10k BTU per 1hp.  I have a 6.5hp genny, so lets just round up and say 70k BTU
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Rule of thumb is 10k BTU per 1hp.  I have a 6.5hp genny, so lets just round up and say 70k BTU
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meter and regulator are probably ok then if you're only needing an extra 70k. You will need to check WC pressure required for the generator. Your house regulator is probably set at 4 to 7 inches WC as most home appliances operate in this range.
NG engines usually require a little more pressure, 10 to 14 inches WC.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure about the code part, but I would recommend a ball valve before the quick disconnect.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not sure about the code part, but I would recommend a ball valve before the quick disconnect.
View Quote

This is what I was actually going to do, on the house-end part.  The QD part would be on the generator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top