Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I use 40 kV to test the insulation breakdown of cable sets.  Also high voltage is used to vaporize oil sample to see what engine components are wearing 1st.  HV is also used in ECM pods.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking at the last pic, it's hard to tell if the dial is stamped 3000 or 5000 ohms/volt

If OP wants to make this particular 'fucks given' meter twitch it'd help to know what that marking indicates.  

But it is just fine as a display piece as is.

ETA: the mechanism in that meter is probably an impressive jeweled bearing thing. I'd like to see some macro shots of the d'Arsonval part of that meter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Part in bold? No.  You can touch the positive and negative terminals of a car battery with your hands and you won't die.  That's 13.8 volts and up to 1000 amps.

The way I was taught was that it took 30 volts at one-tenth of an amp to reach the lethal threshold.  That can drop slightly depending upon conditions, like wet skin, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. Electricity is something I was never interested in and never tried to learn.

Vacuum tubes had quite a lot of voltage. low Amps.

Something you have to understand is that it isn't voltage that kills you, it's amps AKA Current.

100,000 volts at .00001 amps is a static shock. You say, "Aww dammit, shocked again..."

2 volts at 2 amps: You are dead.

The way I was taught to look at it is like plumbing. Volts is potential. Much like a water tank. 10,000 gallons of water has a *LOT* of energy in it if you think about it. Amps would be like putting a pipe in the bottom of the tank and letting the water run out. The amount of flow is Amps/current. Ohms are resistance to current flow. So would be akin to the diameter of the drainpipe.

Fun exercise for math Nazis: (Don't know if this will work...)

__E

I  ___ R

See if that works. Anyway, that's the equation to figure out Ohm's law. E= Energy (Voltage) I = Current and R = Resistance.

Cover up whichever one you want to get the value.

If we have a 9v battery in a circuit with a 3 ohm resistor we have 3 Amps.

If we have 5 amps at 25 Ohms your power source is 125 volts.

Part in bold? No.  You can touch the positive and negative terminals of a car battery with your hands and you won't die.  That's 13.8 volts and up to 1000 amps.

The way I was taught was that it took 30 volts at one-tenth of an amp to reach the lethal threshold.  That can drop slightly depending upon conditions, like wet skin, etc.

If it's still hooked up to your car, the electricity won't even try to flow through you.   The negative lead is grounded to the vehicle.   The positive lead is connected to the starter.   The starter is grounded to the vehicle.   That's a way better route from one terminal to the other than through your arms and chest.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
watt
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top