Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2015 3:40:12 PM EDT
I've got an '05 F250 superduty 6.0 powerstroke diesel FX4 that last had its
brakes/rotors changed July of 2012 (new brake pads and I opted for new rotors versus having the old rotors resurfaced). I had my
truck in the dealership June of 2014 for a turbocharger problem and, per
their routine inspection, the brakes/rotors were "within limits." My wife
tells me a few days ago she heard some squeaking when she braked while driving the truck around town.
I've driven the truck the past few days and haven't heard a peep. The
truck's mileage in 2012 when it got new brakes/rotors was 96,160, and today it is 135,357 - so I've put on 39,197 miles on the current set of brakes/rotors in the past three years. The last brake job cost me a hare under $1k, with parts being $700 and labor coming to almost $300.

I've been teaching myself how to work on my truck and over the past five years have taken on more and more repairs/maintenance jobs. I've replaced the shocks, replaced the glow plugs and harness, fixed the 4x4 (vacuum) system, and done a myriad of other relatively easier projects (new serpentine belt, new alternator, etc.). I feel mechanically inclined enough that, with a good guide/YouTube video, I can tackle a brake job.

I'd like to know, is this a job that can be done without any special tools/devices (it appears to be from the few guides I have read/watched)? What are some of the tricks of the trade that I should know before doing this job? Are there any tools that, while not required, would make this job much easier? Are there any brake pads or rotors that are better quality than the OEM stuff that I should look at? Any other advice?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Just watch a couple youtube videos and go for it.  Just expect to take a couple hours doing it.  You may not have to replace your rotors if there is still some pad life left as well.  Make sure you have a nice big C-clamp handy for compressing the caliper back or get the tool.

I got really doing good at doing brakes, because before I had a mechanic that helped us out, all my work trucks got brakes atleast once a year at inspection time.  

I am not a professional mechanic by any means, just a disclaimer

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for it.  It's not that tough and with youtube the sky is the limit.  Dont forget to use jack stands.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Brakes are usually about as easy as it gets.

Also, check rockauto for your parts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you figure out which end of a socket goes on the bolt and which goes on the ratchet, you can do brakes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Use jack stands. Get your favorite album on the stereo and chill out when you see how easy it is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go for it.  It's not that tough and with youtube the sky is the limit.  Dont forget to use jack stands.
View Quote

This.  If you are mechanically inclined at all it's easy. If you get twisted up at any point it's better to ask for help and no just hope you got it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Brakes are usually about as easy as it gets.

Also, check rockauto for your parts.
View Quote
Thanks! Will do.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
And don't forget to clean the anti-corrosive off the parts before you install them (mainly rotors.)
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just watch a couple youtube videos and go for it.  Just expect to take a couple hours doing it.  You may not have to replace your rotors if there is still some pad life left as well.  Make sure you have a nice big C-clamp handy for compressing the caliper back or get the tool.

I got really doing good at doing brakes, because before I had a mechanic that helped us out, all my work trucks got brakes atleast once a year at inspection time.  

I am not a professional mechanic by any means, just a disclaimer

View Quote
Good to know!

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
If the rotors are rusted on don't forget to have a Big fucking hammer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
I fortunately have a few of those.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]
You are going to need some special tools to get the rotors off.  You can resurface your rotors; you do not have to replace them.  You will need to check their condition. It is recommended that you at the minimum resurface rotors when you install new pads.  Although, I do know people that have gotten away with just installing new pads. It all depends on the condition of your pads and rotors.

I would recommend getting a Hayne's manual for your truck as it will help guide you through the brake maintenance process as well as general maintenance and repair of everything else.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, just whack the shit out of it once you get all the bolts out.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It helps to soak it with penetrating oil such as WD-40, Loosey-Goosey or others.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And don't forget to clean the anti-corrosive off the parts before you install them (mainly rotors.)
View Quote
I plan on first inspecting the brake pads and rotors once I get the tires off and anticipate replacing the pads, but at three years and thirty-ish thousand miles do you think I would be better off just replacing the rotors even if they visually look okay? I try and be proactive when I do work on my truck during the summer/fall because I dislike nothing more than trying to work on my truck during the winter (November-March) when it's freezing cold and snowing out. So I figure while I got the truck jacked up, tires off, and I'm monkeying with the brakes I'd rather change the rotors now than have to do it 6 months later in the dead of winter.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Its basically 4 bolts, common sense, and sometimes a hammer if your shits rusted.

Oh, and maybe a good C-clamp to compress the piston.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]
VERY easy, your husband should have it done in no less than an hour. Hell it takes longer to get the tires on/ off than to swap the brakes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I plan on first inspecting the brake pads and rotors once I get the tires off and anticipate replacing the pads, but at three years and thirty-ish thousand miles do you think I would be better off just replacing the rotors even if they visually look okay? I try and be proactive when I do work on my truck during the summer/fall because I dislike nothing more than trying to work on my truck during the winter (November-March) when it's freezing cold and snowing out. So I figure while I got the truck jacked up, tires off, and I'm monkeying with the brakes I'd rather change the rotors now than have to do it 6 months later in the dead of winter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your pads haven't gouged the rotors they should be fine. You don't get steering wheel shake when you brake do you?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Check Amazon too for parts. I've found they have OEM parts for the same as the parts store brands. Also check to see if people have returned brand new parts; you can save 20-30% off Amazon's prices that way.

An unnecessary tool is a brake piston compressor; it'll press pistons back into the caliper in 1/4 the time a big c-clamp takes.

Get yourself a 18-24" breaker bar too; if a shop used an impact wrench on the lug nuts you'll appreciate the extra leverage a good breaker bar provides.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
With the right tools it's a pretty straight forward job for most vehicles. If you are handy with tools and have a basic understanding of cars I would say it's an easy job to do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a friend to help you bleed them when you are done.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#23]
DON'T forget this part, it's very important! I can't stress that enough....
http://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/
forgot link....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If your pads haven't gouged the rotors they should be fine. You don't get steering wheel shake when you brake do you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Not sure if it is needed on OP's truck, but a mustang I did brakes on required a special tool.
It was a small borg looking cube that a socket wrench extension snaped into, it allowed me to Rotate the brake caliper piston in, You cannot simply press them in like chevys.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#26]
What they all said.  Do it and you will pay 1/4 of what you pay a mechanic if not less.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Old rotors are probably dandy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Super easy.

Unless the rotors are pressed on...in that case, slightly harder but not bad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Check Amazon too for parts. I've found they have OEM parts for the same as the parts store brands. Also check to see if people have returned brand new parts; you can save 20-30% off Amazon's prices that way.

An unnecessary tool is a brake piston compressor; it'll press pistons back into the caliper in 1/4 the time a big c-clamp takes.

Get yourself a 18-24" breaker bar too; if a shop used an impact wrench on the lug nuts you'll appreciate the extra leverage a good breaker bar provides.
View Quote
Yeah, I had to use one (and a mallet) last fall when I removed the front wheels to gain access to the engine compartment to replace all the glow plugs and harness.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It helps to soak it with penetrating oil such as WD-40, Loosey-Goosey or others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big +1.

I did brakes recently, a simple exercise turned into a nightmare.

the bolts were Torx T55.   And completely frozen. I rounded them off and ended up replacing the entire caliper. Asked how much it would cost to fix professionally and they quoted me $200.  So replacing the caliper was cheaper.  I heard one advice is to heat the bolt but I just did not want to go there.

The new caliper came with 18mm bolt and not Torx which is the devil.

Soak everything with PB Blaster, 3 days in advance. Flood it with the stuff.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Be sure to get jackstands solidly under it if you really have to wail on the rotors or bolts.  Even a heavy truck can be pushed off a jack or even jackstands pretty easily.  

I try to replace rotors when I'm in there too, but you can look up the wear limit and measure the thickness.  They are big hunks of steel and I've seen rotors last for many years even w/ several pad changes.  You could get the rotors resurfaced but I have only done that once and never had an issue.   I have an F150 and am not a pro.

Double check all the caliper bolts once you get the pads in.  Brakes are the most important part of your car, don't fuck it up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

VERY easy, your husband should have it done in no less than an hour. Hell it takes longer to get the tires on/ off than to swap the brakes.
View Quote
Cute.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#33]
It can't be done.  It's impossible.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]
How often do you tow with it?

Usually 3/4 and 1 ton rotors are good for a really long time if you don't abuse them.

50k miles doesn't seem unreasonable for just driving around.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rotors can be a BITCH if they're the kind that bolt onto the back of the hub.

http://www.am-autoimages.com/partimage/BFS/AM-30407548/main.JPG
View Quote

Yes, yes they can.  My Landcruiser is such a beast, it's not some little FWD econocar.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You are going to need some special tools to get the rotors off. You can resurface your rotors; you do not have to replace them.  You will need to check their condition. It is recommended that you at the minimum resurface rotors when you install new pads.  Although, I do know people that have gotten away with just installing new pads. It all depends on the condition of your pads and rotors.

I would recommend getting a Hayne's manual for your truck as it will help guide you through the brake maintenance process as well as general maintenance and repair of everything else.
View Quote
What equipment is needed to resurface (assuming rotors are still within recommended width)?

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get a friend to help you bleed them when you are done.
View Quote

Why would he need to remove the line
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#38]
OP turn the rotors..throwing new pads on used rotors causes all sorts of issues, including worse stopping distances, pulling, overheated pads and even squeks... always turn rotors... cheapest fastest way for a home mechanic is to buy new rotors , install with new pads, take old rotors and stop, at next brake job, turn old rotors and install with new pads and store old rotors again.....

As for the brake job, its simple enough, pay close attention on tear down, clean all caliper slide surfaces and lube with synthetic caliper slide grease(get at store when getting parts), clean all rotor surfaces with brakleen before using.. inspect the entire brake system, including master cylinder, lines,and hoses, bleed system after installing new parts and make sure to bleed until clean fluid comes out bleeders.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What equipment is needed to resurface (assuming rotors are still within recommended width)?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are going to need some special tools to get the rotors off. You can resurface your rotors; you do not have to replace them.  You will need to check their condition. It is recommended that you at the minimum resurface rotors when you install new pads.  Although, I do know people that have gotten away with just installing new pads. It all depends on the condition of your pads and rotors.

Stuff that is more expensive than someone else doing it for you. Honestly these days rotors are so cheap it sometimes makes more sense replacing them than getting them turned.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a DIY job, easier to take it somewhere, or just buy new rotors.

I am in exactly the same boat.  Was too late with replacing the brakes and the worn out brake pad damaged the rotor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

How often do you tow with it?

Usually 3/4 and 1 ton rotors are good for a really long time if you don't abuse them.

50k miles doesn't seem unreasonable for just driving around.
View Quote
1-2 times per month, short distances (like 100-200 miles round trip per tow).

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Google or youtube your truck. One of mine had screws in the rotor that held them on that needed a whack on a screwdriver and my impact drill to break loose.

Another vehicle had nothing of the kind but the rotors were frozen or rusted on. However, there were two spots where you could screw in two certain sized bolts. By alternating the tightening, they forced off the stuck rotors.

+1 on RockAuto.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Check out a few Youtube videos.  Half the work is taking the wheels off.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa-FMpwpzdw

I order OEM brake pads on Ebay.  Usually about $35 per set.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The kind that you take it to someone to do it.

We had a parts store in Chester, VA that used to turn rotors for free. They closed down maybe 15+ years ago.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A trip to the parts house and around 10-15 bucks
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP turn the rotors..throwing new pads on used rotors causes all sorts of issues, including worse stopping distances, pulling, overheated pads and even squeks... always turn rotors... cheapest fastest way for a home mechanic is to buy new rotors , install with new pads, take old rotors and stop, at next brake job, turn old rotors and install with new pads and store old rotors again.....

As for the brake job, its simple enough, pay close attention on tear down, clean all caliper slide surfaces and lube with synthetic caliper slide grease(get at store when getting parts), clean all rotor surfaces with brakleen before using.. inspect the entire brake system, including master cylinder, lines,and hoses, bleed system after installing new parts and make sure to bleed until clean fluid comes out bleeders.....
View Quote

You a service writer?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Just be sure to test brakes before moving vehicle.
After compressing brake calipers it takes a couple of peal strokes before the brakes come up hard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Do not resurface your rotors.  Either replace them or leave them alone.  It will reduce the amount of material and make them more prone to warping.

With as few miles as you have I would damn near guarantee you all you need are pads.  Probably only in the front, too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've got an '05 F250 superduty 6.0 powerstroke diesel FX4 that last had its brakes/rotors changed July of 2012 (new brake pads and I opted for new rotors versus having the old rotors resurfaced). I had my truck in the dealership June of 2014 for a turbocharger problem and, per their routine inspection, the brakes/rotors were "within limits." My wife tells me a few days ago she heard some squeaking when she braked while driving the truck around town. I've driven the truck the past few days and haven't heard a peep. The truck's mileage in 2012 when it got new brakes/rotors was 96,160, and today it is 135,357 - so I've put on 39,197 miles on the current set of brakes/rotors in the past three years. The last brake job cost me a hare under $1k, with parts being $700 and labor coming to almost $300.

I've been teaching myself how to work on my truck and over the past five years have taken on more and more repairs/maintenance jobs. I've replaced the shocks, replaced the glow plugs and harness, fixed the 4x4 (vacuum) system, and done a myriad of other relatively easier projects (new serpentine belt, new alternator, etc.). I feel mechanically inclined enough that, with a good guide/YouTube video, I can tackle a brake job.

I'd like to know, is this a job that can be done without any special tools/devices (it appears to be from the few guides I have read/watched)? What are some of the tricks of the trade that I should know before doing this job? Are there any tools that, while not required, would make this job much easier? Are there any brake pads or rotors that are better quality than the OEM stuff that I should look at? Any other advice?

Thanks!
View Quote

I've done dozens - literally - of brake jobs. My 2010 F250 was the hardest one I've ever done.  Take a look at the torque specs.  You'll need some big ass tools. I ended up using a 6' cheater bar at one point.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]
If I remember correctly.  Don't Fords have the lug bolts as part of the rotor assembly?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top