Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
lol @ a Vox article

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...Which should never lead to Confiscation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correlation doesn't equal causation.

...Which should never lead to Confiscation.

...yet can cause constipation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Source: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-18/opinion/chi-the-failure-of-gun-control-in-australia-20130118_1_gun-control-mandatory-gun-gun-deaths

Chicago Tribune says otherwise:

Australia's gun control: Success or failure?
January 18, 2013|Steve Chapman

A display of 7-round handguns are seen at Coliseum Gun Traders Ltd. in Uniondale, New York January 16, 2013.

A display of 7-round handguns are seen at Coliseum Gun Traders Ltd. in Uniondale, New York January 16, 2013. (Shannon Stapleton)

After a mass shooting in 1996, Australia enacted a sweeping package of gun restrictions far more ambitious than anything plausible here -- including a total ban on semiautomatic weapons, a mandatory gun buyback, and strict limits on who could own a firearm. John Howard, who was prime minister at the time, wrote the other day that his country "is safer today as a consequence of gun control."

You would think such dramatic new restrictions were bound to help. But the striking thing is how little effect they had on gun deaths.

It's true the homicide rate fell after the law took effect -- but it had also been falling long before that. A study published by the liberal Brookings Institution noted that the decline didn't accelerate after 1996. Same for lethal accidents. Suicide didn't budge. At most, they conclude "there may" -- may -- "have been a modest effect on homicide rates."

Researchers at the University of Melbourne, however, found no such improvement as a result of the new system. "There is little evidence to suggest that it had any significant effects on firearm homicides or suicides," they wrote.

Howard says the country has had no mass shootings since 1996. But mass shootings are such a tiny share of all homicides that any connection may be purely a matter of chance.

We learned from the 1994 assault weapons ban that modest gun control measures don't work. What Australia suggests is that even if radical ones could be passed, they wouldn't work either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/voybCdLnNqu7XhKBxWbx45RXGrs=/0x0:2500x1667/755x504/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47037124/GettyImages-158581520.0.0.jpg

That's a lot of guns.

The on-camera shooting of two Virginia reporters Wednesday morning seems bound to evoke, like so many shootings before it, some sort of national conversation about gun control. Which means there will likely be some of debate about whether it would even be possible for the US to limit its millions of privately held guns — by far a higher per capita gun ownership rate than any other country.

It is worth considering, as one data point in the pool of evidence about what sorts of gun control policies do and do not work, the experience of Australia. Between October 1996 and September 1997, Australia responded to its own gun violence problem with a solution that was both straightforward and severe: It collected roughly 650,000 privately held guns. It was one of the largest mandatory gun buyback programs in recent history.

And it worked. That does not mean that something even remotely similar would work in the US — they are, needless to say, different countries — but it is worth at least looking at their experience.

What Australia did

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MT-Xao1qbLAkKl0sIBXAomHiMLw=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4004134/GettyImages-540015981.0.jpg

Former Australian Prime Minister John Howard at a service for the victims of Port Arthur. (Fairfax Media/Fairfax Media/Getty Images)

On April 28, 1996, a 28-year-old man with a troubled past named Martin Bryant walked into a cafe in Port Arthur, a tourist town on the island of Tasmania, and opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle. He killed 35 people and wounded another 28.

Australia's prime minister at the time, John Howard, had taken office just six weeks earlier at the head of a center-right coalition. He quickly drew a very clear conclusion from the Port Arthur killing: Australia had too many guns, and they were too easy to get.

"I knew that I had to use the authority of my office to curb the possession and use of the type of weapons that killed 35 innocent people," Howard wrote in a 2013 op-ed for the New York Times. "I also knew it wouldn’t be easy."

Howard persuaded both his coalition and Australia's states (the country has a federal system) to agree to a sweeping, nationwide reform of gun laws. The so-called National Firearms Agreement (NFA), drafted the month after the shooting, sharply restricted legal ownership of firearms in Australia. It also established a registry of all guns owned in the country, among other measures, and required a permit for all new firearm purchases.

One of the most significant provisions of the NFA was a flat-out ban on certain kinds of guns, such as automatic and semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. But there were already a number of such guns in circulation in Australia, and the NFA required getting them off the streets.

Australia solved this problem by introducing a mandatory buyback: Australia's states would take away all guns that had just been declared illegal. In exchange, they'd pay the guns' owners a fair price, set by a national committee using market value as a benchmark, to compensate for the loss of their property. The NFA also offered legal amnesty for anyone who handed in illegally owned guns, though they weren't compensated.

There were fears that the mandatory buyback would provoke resistance: During one address to a crowd of guns rights supporters, Howard wore a bulletproof vest. Thankfully, fears of violence turned out to be unfounded. About 650,000 legally owned guns were peacefully seized, then destroyed, as part of the buyback.

According to one academic estimate, the buyback took in and destroyed 20 percent of all privately owned guns in Australia. Analysis of import data suggests that Australians haven't purchased nearly enough guns in the past 18 years to make up for the initial decline.

Australia's program saved a lot of lives

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/yLmxuc1Gmbwup_DUulSBCoy_DpY=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4004142/GettyImages-158581522.0.jpg

Australia's gun buyback in action. (William West/AFP/Getty Images)

In 2011, Harvard's Daniel Hemenway and Mary Vriniotis reviewed the research on Australia's suicide and homicide rate after the NFA. Their conclusion was clear: "The NFA seems to have been incredibly successful in terms of lives saved."

What they found is a decline in both suicide and homicide rates after the NFA. The average firearm suicide rate in Australia in the seven years after the bill declined by 57 percent compared with the seven years prior. The average firearm homicide rate went down by about 42 percent.

Now, Australia's homicide rate was already declining before the NFA was implemented — so you can't attribute all of the drops to the new laws. But there's good reason to believe the NFA, especially the buyback provisions, mattered a great deal in contributing to those declines.

"First," Hemenway and Vriniotis write, "the drop in firearm deaths was largest among the type of firearms most affected by the buyback. Second, firearm deaths in states with higher buyback rates per capita fell proportionately more than in states with lower buyback rates."

There is also this: 1996 and 1997, the two years in which the NFA was actually implemented, saw the largest percentage declines in the homicide rate in any two-year period in Australia between 1915 and 2004.

Pinning down exactly how much the NFA contributed is harder. One study concluded that buying back 3,500 guns per 100,000 people correlated with up to a 50 percent drop in firearm homicides. But as Dylan Matthews points out, the results were not statistically significant because Australia has a pretty low number of murders already.

However, the paper's findings about suicide were statistically significant — and astounding. Buying back 3,500 guns correlated with a 74 percent drop in firearm suicides. Non-gun suicides didn't increase to make up the decline.

There is good reason why gun restrictions would prevent suicides. As Matthews explains in great depth, suicide is often an impulsive choice, one often not repeated after a first attempt. Guns are specifically designed to kill people effectively, which makes suicide attempts with guns likelier to succeed than (for example) attempts with razors or pills. Limiting access to guns makes each attempt more likely to fail, thus making it more likely that people will survive and not attempt to harm themselves again.

Bottom line: Australia's gun buyback saved lives, probably by reducing homicides and almost certainly by reducing suicides. Again, Australian lessons might not necessarily apply to the US, given the many cultural and political differences between the two countries. But in thinking about gun violence and how to limit it, this seems like a worthwhile data point. If you're looking for lessons about gun control, this is a pretty important one.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9212725/australia-buyback
View Quote
LOL- Vox, where intelligence goes to die

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Its all lies and bullshit. here in Canada it was clear that after the gun registry suicides remained the same. sure maybe people didnt shoot themselves to death, but they used other means instead. But theres nothing sexy about banning rope...so those suckers who hung themselves are forgotten.

Its like saying lets ban drugs and nobody will die of an overdose...that works great right?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thankfully, men of great courage and resolve risked there lives and everything they had to ensure this nation would be forever free.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm sure that an infinitesimally small percent of American gun owners, who share that sentimentality would "use them".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so they didn't have to turn their guns in... but keeping them and getting caught with one would result in a severe punishment?  

I personally would go bury mine in a safe place and never say a fkn word bout it.

If you feel it is time to bury them, it really is time to use them.

I'm sure that an infinitesimally small percent of American gun owners, who share that sentimentality would "use them".

How many people did it take to shut D.C. down, completely?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so they didn't have to turn their guns in... but keeping them and getting caught with one would result in a severe punishment?  

I personally would go bury mine in a safe place and never say a fkn word bout it.

I'm your huckleberry.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#10]
...and the country had TOTALLY different laws/attitudes on guns for self defence = so a straight up comparison is in no way

Apples & oranges
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
What they found is a decline in both suicide and homicide rates after the NFA. The average firearm suicide rate in Australia in the seven years after the bill declined by 57 percent compared with the seven years prior. The average firearm homicide rate went down by about 42 percent.
View Quote

Notice the oddly specific qualifiers used.  Well no shit if you take everyone's firearms away, "firearm" homicide and "firearm" suicide will decrease -- the fact that they haven't decreased to 0 seems to indicate the ban has worked rather poorly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My line in the sand is the 2a. I'm willing to die for that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
lol @ a Vox article

View Quote

Yep, they're as full of shit as Huffington Post and Salon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Notice the oddly specific qualifiers used.  Well no shit if you take everyone's firearms away, "firearm" homicide and "firearm" suicide will decrease -- the fact that they haven't decreased to 0 seems to indicate the ban has worked rather poorly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They later added that non-firearm suicides did not increase, but I could care less about suicides. They did not have a similar qualifier for the firearm homicides and given the low numbers of murders per capita that Australia had to begin with, the noted decline is statistically insignificant.

It's so easy to lie with statistics it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Suicide rates in Australia peaked in 1963 (17.5 per 100,000), declining to 11.3 per 100,000 in 1984, and climbing back to 14.6 in 1997. Rates have been lower than this since that year. The age-standardised suicide rate for persons in 2013 was 10.9 per 100,000 compared with 11.3 per 100,000.

Over the past 18 years (1 July 1989 to 30 June 2007), the rate* of homicide incidents decreased from 1.9 in 1990-91 and 1992-93 to the second-lowest recorded rate, of 1.3, in 2006-07. *rate per 100,000 population.
The number of murder victims peaked in 1999, at 344; the number of manslaughter victims peaked in 2002, at 48.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
It's utter rubbish. Violence and crime of all sorts went up, and stayed up. You are more likely to be a victim of a crime under almost any circumstance in Australia than in the U.S.

And there are simply millions of unlicensed firearms in this country. The buyback accomplished nothing but to deprive the most law abiding of their guns, and waste vast sums of money. All for the feels.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

According to Wikipedia, Mexico's per-capita gun homicide rate is almost triple what ours is - In spite of having some of the most draconian gun laws in the world.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7402/homicidesbycountry.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gun violence is zero in North Korea.

I guess it really is a workers paradise.

According to Wikipedia, Mexico's per-capita gun homicide rate is almost triple what ours is - In spite of having some of the most draconian gun laws in the world.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7402/homicidesbycountry.jpg

We ain't got no time for da troof!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope nope nope nope nope
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
With the massive sale of firearms since Jugears was elected there must be blood running in the streets!

or not.

Maybe they should let well enough alone and go with the trend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Subtract all the shootings over which corner someone can sell crack on or what color bandana is in
their back pocket and get back to me on our "gun violence problem".

There is a big problem. You choose to not talk about it. You choose to not address it.

The consequences of your bad choices have nothing to do with me, or any other free man that uses firearms responsibly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool, I bet if we confiscate all cars then traffic deaths will drop dramatically too.
View Quote

Da tovarische, all automobile be only for necessary party use like glorious Soviet eutopia of Moscow!

More seriously, that isn't a half bad example as we are seeing the results of post-government imposed scarcity and the lack of rule of law in Russia's drivers and pedestrians.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I bet Arfcom owns 650,000 guns
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

last I heard was 8.7 million.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.
- See more at: http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847#sthash.SzyMpncB.dpuf
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Are their statistics controlled by the government in a similar manner to the British cooking the books numbers?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#27]
The best solution for the rape epidemic is to castrate all males.  It's the only way to stop penis violence against women.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#28]

just because it worked*, doesnt' mean it's right.

*i don't believe the statistics. over the last 50 years or so, most western nations have changed their crime reporting standards to the point the numbers don't mean much.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Source: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-18/opinion/chi-the-failure-of-gun-control-in-australia-20130118_1_gun-control-mandatory-gun-gun-deaths

Chicago Tribune says otherwise:

Australia's gun control: Success or failure?
January 18, 2013|Steve Chapman

A display of 7-round handguns are seen at Coliseum Gun Traders Ltd. in Uniondale, New York January 16, 2013.

A display of 7-round handguns are seen at Coliseum Gun Traders Ltd. in Uniondale, New York January 16, 2013. (Shannon Stapleton)

After a mass shooting in 1996, Australia enacted a sweeping package of gun restrictions far more ambitious than anything plausible here -- including a total ban on semiautomatic weapons, a mandatory gun buyback, and strict limits on who could own a firearm. John Howard, who was prime minister at the time, wrote the other day that his country "is safer today as a consequence of gun control."

You would think such dramatic new restrictions were bound to help. But the striking thing is how little effect they had on gun deaths.

It's true the homicide rate fell after the law took effect -- but it had also been falling long before that. A study published by the liberal Brookings Institution noted that the decline didn't accelerate after 1996. Same for lethal accidents. Suicide didn't budge. At most, they conclude "there may" -- may -- "have been a modest effect on homicide rates."

Researchers at the University of Melbourne, however, found no such improvement as a result of the new system. "There is little evidence to suggest that it had any significant effects on firearm homicides or suicides," they wrote.

Howard says the country has had no mass shootings since 1996. But mass shootings are such a tiny share of all homicides that any connection may be purely a matter of chance.

We learned from the 1994 assault weapons ban that modest gun control measures don't work. What Australia suggests is that even if radical ones could be passed, they wouldn't work either.
View Quote

Seven people shot isn't a mass shooting?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monash_University_shooting

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 There is a myth being promoted about the effects of Australia's gun control legislation, introduced in 1996/97.

Writing in the Financial Review today, Liberal Democrats' Senator-elect David Leyonhjelm said, "In 1996, Australia passed some of the most restrictive gun laws in the western world included bans on self-loading firearms and a taxpayer funded gun confiscation program costing an estimated half-billion dollars.  The ongoing costs of running the firearms registration system are unknown, but have been estimated at around AU$28 million per year, or about AU$75,000 per day."

"Anti-gun zealots, within and outside the halls of parliament, smugly try to convince the rest of the world that Australia’s model of firearms management has been a resounding success."

"There is a growing body of peer-reviewed research into the impacts of Australia’s 1996 gun laws. Not a single one of these studies has found a significant impact of the legislative changes on the pre-existing downward trend in firearm homicide. Firearm homicides were decreasing well before the laws were implemented, and the decline simply continued on after the legislative changes. The same occurred in Canada and New Zealand."

"Results on suicide are mixed. The reality is that there is no scientific consensus whatsoever about firearm laws and suicide in Australia."

"But anti-gun lobbyists cherry-pick the statistics that suit them, and outright ignore studies that do not fall into line with the story they desperately want to tell. The fairytale they prefer is that the gun laws have ‘saved 200 lives a year’.

"A common claim is that there have been no mass shootings since 1996, from which anti-gun lobbyists conclude that Australia’s gun laws have stopped mass shootings. But this is a half-truth. The full truth is that New Zealand has experienced an almost identical time period with no mass shooting events despite the ongoing widespread availability of the types of firearms Australia banned. The inescapable conclusion is that something other than gun laws is likely to be driving the merciful absence of mass shooting events in both countries."

"Despite all the scientific evidence to the contrary, the anti-gun lobby continue to promote untruths, unchallenged. Despite the massive price tag attached to Australia’s gun laws, proper debate is still not taking place. Despite the fact that other policies may be far more effective at saving lives, dissenting views about the gun laws are ridiculed and shrilly shouted down."

"Yes, the rest of the world can indeed learn a lesson from Australia’s gun control experiment. But that lesson is really not about gun laws. It is about the dangers allowing lobbyists, politicians, and the media to decide to stifle debate", he concluded.    

http://medianet.com.au/releases/release-details?id=803976

So do the Liberal Democrats support easing restrictions and are they willing to actually go through with that sort of legislation?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Rebecca Peters and George Soros sequel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#32]
OP your post is bad, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#33]

In Australia it is estimated that only about 20% of all banned self-loading rifles have been given up to the authorities (James B. LAWSON,: "New National Gun Laws - are the cost effective?" in: Institute of Public Affairs "Review" December 1999). The remaining stock of illegally held banned firearms is estimated at between two and five millions (John TINGLE, NSW Shooters Party on Allan Jones AM radio, 2 UE NSW 30/09/97). The above mentioned figure of 640 000 rifles which were handed over to the authorities has to be seen in the context of the earlier legal import of about 2 million guns of only two particulat types of that kind. In Queensland alone the number of all types of banned rifles was estimated as 1,2 to 1,3 millions before the implementation of the legislation. Only 130,000 have been handed in and 520 000 have been licensed. This yields a compliance rate of about 50%. (GRIFFITH, supranote 8). Following the restriction in 1983 of certain "military-style" rifles in Canada, the compliance rate was estimated at between 3 and 20% for different models ( KOPEL, supranote 8, p. 144).

In Queensland, Australia, in the eighties only six rifles of a particular type have been handed in following a ban, even though a single dealer in Queensland had imported 2 000 of just one make of such guns (Kopel, supranote 8, p 218). In Austria in 1995 pump-action shotguns were prohibited. While new acquisition is next to impossible since then, already legally held guns could only be kept on a special permit. Out of an original stock estimated at 60 000 guns, only 10 557 have been either surrendered or registered (Paul KISS, member of the Austrian parliament, on TV 11/11/97, cited after: Franz SCHMIDT: "Waffenrechtsdebatte" 3rd Edition, p. 4). As the estimate on imports covers only the last ten years, total legal imports must certainly have been even higher.

http://www.gunownerssa.org/downloads/Csaszar.pdf

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came to post this
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Thread needs more Buck Yeager.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I never understand using firearm homicide rates and suicide rates.  Well, duh, if guns are hard to come by there will be less gun crime, gun deaths, etc.  Doesn't mean less people are killing other people, just means they have to find a different way to do it.  Taking guns away doesn't change a thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There would be a very sudden rise in gun deaths if confiscation were attempted here.  
View Quote

Unfortunately I bet you are right but not in the good way. Most Americans would be fine turning them in and even ratting out the holdouts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I guess they've forgotten about this http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30490838

Ok, only two people killed, one apparently by the police.

So, what was the reason why this incident didn't result in more deaths?

A) Australian gun control laws

B) The actions of law enforcement

C) The actions of the victims

D) The actions of the perpetrator
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Ezra Klein is a commie flamer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not willing to trade freedom for a sense of security.

View Quote

If you traded in your guns (freedom) would you actually gain that sense of security?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Tagging this to refute liberal family members
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#42]
You can do amazing things in a country that's homogeneous in race and culture (although they do have large communities of Chinese and Abos) But Oz took the added steps of ensuring its communities stayed that way by rigorously enforcing it's borders (to this day)

Some of those same homogeneous communities are now in for a serious wake up call because they decided to remove guns AND allow in immigrants from war torn third world Islamic countries.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Tagging this to refute liberal family members
View Quote

this is all you need.

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.

During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.

Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.

Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.

Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

- See more at: http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847#sthash.SzyMpncB.dpuf
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#44]
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't even care if it did indeed directly result in lower crime rates. Owning and carrying guns is either a right or it's not. It can't be something that depends on some metric from society.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck Australia.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm sure they don't even mention the increase in machete and other non-firearm attacks that filled the vacuum.  Was pretty rampant when I lived there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#47]
The premise that .AU gun control had a measurable impact is completely false.

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/aus_gun_control/

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So, if I want to commit suicide and I don't have gun, I'm just SOL, huh?

View Quote

When my dad was old and had diabetes he had lost a leg and people thought this man who had been through WW2 and the great depression and lost his parents at the age of 10might commit suicide.

He asked for his 45 long colt Taurus to keep in a bank bag under his pillow .  Being he could not move too fast with one leg at the age of 82.

They all confronted me about the gun.

I told them he would never use the gun.  They asked why and I told them this.  He will shoot himself full of insulin and die and no one will be able to prove nothing.

They asked me how I knew this and I said........ He told me so,, do you want me to take away his gun and his insulin?

Not another word was spoken and he died in the hospital having a bypass on the other leg.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bury it into the skull of a politician that passed the bull shit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Fuck Vox.

Here is one of their Tweets from this morning. The graphic used is from the National Industrial Recovery Act.

http://i.imgur.com/GUJ3zMM.png
View Quote

Another commie program from FDR that my father and grandfather cussed

Let me tell you now.  If they want to cut murders they better not come for the guns because most  gun  owners are going to wack them and stack them.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top