Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 2:21:58 PM EDT
We got a nice trane heat pump earlier this year. It's been a hot summer here so It ran a lot. I know it dehumidifies as it cools, so my indoor humidity stayed around
45-55% this summer. Now that the weather is milder, especially at night, my humidity can get over 70% sometimes. The house is small, well sealed and insulated, so it doesn't have to run much now.

Is that normal? Or should the humidity be lower than that? I do have a 55 gallon aquarium that I have to add a gallon to about once a week. Would that contribute to the problem?

I've always had window units, but now I'm spoiled with the comfortable temps and humidity control. I never knew it made such a difference. It almost feels clammy and stuffy when the humidity goes up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Just run it a little to remove some of the humidity.  I'm hoping to buy a fancy system that will monitor humidity and adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It runs less frequently do to tbe milder temps, so it removes less himidity. I have the same issue so I programed my stat to bring the unit on at noon and at 4 with a lower set point for 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just run it a little to remove some of the humidity.  I'm hoping to buy a fancy system that will monitor humidity and adjust accordingly.
View Quote

I have a touchscreen wifi thermostat. I called the installer and he said I can set it to control humidity and temp.  He said it can overshoot the temp setting until it reaches the target humidity. It must be under the locked installers menu, I can't find it. I can set a target humidity, but The fan runs after the temp is hit, it doesn't keep cooling until it gets the right humidity.

It would probably get too cold to hit my desired humidity without a real dehumidifier.

I may just buy a portable dehumidifier since my home is so small. I like dryer air than what I have now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Ugh. Tell me about it:

My AC vs humidity woes

Finally put boots to @$$3$ on Tuesday.  The AC guy says my system was misengineered, and it needs a bigger cold air return in the downstairs.  He also turned the fan speed DOWN.  My humidity is now around 53% during the day, but gets to 57% overnight.

My humidity goes up overnight because the AC is not running, but we have a system that opens a damper and turns on my bathroom exhaust fan for about 10 mins/hour every hour. It supposedly keeps fresh air in the house, keeps it from being stagnant, and prevents mold growth.  Since it is ventilating overnight, and the AC is not running, my humidity increases.

Once they get out to make the cold air intake in the basement bigger, it should go down more.

(Reminds me, I need to update my thread....)
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have a touchscreen wifi thermostat. I called the installer and he said I can set it to control humidity and temp.  He said it can overshoot the temp setting until it reaches the target humidity. It must be under the locked installers menu, I can't find it. I can set a target humidity, but The fan runs after the temp is hit, it doesn't keep cooling until it gets the right humidity.

It would probably get too cold to hit my desired humidity without a real dehumidifier.

I may just buy a portable dehumidifier since my home is so small. I like dryer air than what I have now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This feature is usually ment for a humidifier in winter when the humidity gets low. Allows the humidifier to continue to work even with the heat off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some sort of humidifier thing down in my utility room that is installed on the main heating vent thing. It has a water line running to it and humidifies the air when the heat is on apparently.  I don't know.  every now and then the system just runs even if not pumping heat or cool air.  Maybe it is adding moisture?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This feature is usually ment for a humidifier in winter when the humidity gets low. Allows the humidifier to continue to work even with the heat off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the newer systems also ave a dehum feature. It can be set up to lower fan speeds and or over shoot te set temp by a few degrees to allow the system to run longer

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, milder weather leads to less compressor run-time and the result is higher indoor relative humidity. Around here, the problem seems to be more acute in March and April as the humidity starts to build, as opposed to September when we still have enough heat to get adequate cooling hours.

The mild weather is where multi-stage equipment comes into play.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have some sort of humidifier thing down in my utility room that is installed on the main heating vent thing. It has a water line running to it and humidifies the air when the heat is on apparently.  I don't know.  every now and then the system just runs even if not pumping heat or cool air.  Maybe it is adding moisture?  http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r774/artbre/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswzmznmzi.jpg  
View Quote
It could if wired incorrectly. Turn the dial to the off position. Make sure you change the pad inside at leat once a heating season maybe twice depending on the water quality. When it gets soft its time for a change. If not you'll have water everywhere. Also turn the blue damper handle to summer when not in use

ETA usually the hum is hooked up to the thermostat not the humdistat in your pic to have independent function when the heat is not on.  

Does your thermostat have fan/ on - auto - circulate?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Put a manual shutoff valve on the humidifier water line for summer use. It can prevent a flooded basement or garage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Put a manual shutoff valve on the humidifier water line for summer use. It can prevent a flooded basement or garage.
View Quote

Thanks Frank and RGB.   Kinda one of those things they installed and never said anything about when building the house. I didn't know if it would work for what op is looking for.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I was told, or read, that if the dew point is <55 F, you should open up the house, and exchange some air.

If >55 F it is too humid outside to do that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
simple physics.  Relative humility is the issue.  Cold air does not hold as much moisture - so when warmed it has very little relative humidity.  Warm air can hold a ton of moisture - and when it is cooled in your house it can become a problem.

I am pulling gallons out of my house a day - and not getting anywhere.

My old system never had a problem - but the old system ran the coils colder than the new system.  New system does not dehumidify nearly as well as the old one.  I need to call my ac guy.  I am sitting between 60-75% inside.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
My t-stat has a humidity setting on it, I have it set to 55%, temp set to 75.  When it's raining a lot or really humid out it will run to the humidity setting, sometimes down to a temp of 72-73 degrees.  Check that out on yours, especially if it's a programmable one.

The big fish tank will almost certainly add to the humidity in the house seeing as you are adding a gallon a week.  That's moisture that the AC is trying to get out of the house.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#15]
We just turn ours down.  It happens all the time in the summer on mild nights.  It gets really stuffy so we set the fan to run constantly so the air keeps getting exchanged and set it to get a bit cooler.  

A dehumidifier is just a small air conditioner that doesn't vent the heat outside.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We just turn ours down.  It happens all the time in the summer on mild nights.  It gets really stuffy so we set the fan to run constantly so the air keeps getting exchanged and set it to get a bit cooler.  

A dehumidifier is just a small air conditioner that doesn't vent the heat outside.
View Quote

They draw a shitload of current, and are a pain in the ass to empty, if you can't put them near a drain.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post the model# of the thermostat and your AC/blower - should be on the work order/bid.  It sounds like the installer didn't show you how to use it.  You may have one of the really nice trane systems I was looking at.  Variable speed blower and two stage AC compressor.  If so it should be able to control humidity.

Hell, have the installer come back out and show you how to use it, I'm sure you paid good money for it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump. I wanna know if op has the system I'm wanting installed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Running the fan all the time makes it more humid not less.  Once the compressor shuts down, if the fan doesn't shut down, it just picks up all that water on the coils and spreads it through out the house.

The fan should be set to auto so the water on the coils has time to drip and drain.

The key to good dehumidification is to have a unit that is not over-sized or even better to have a unit with variable speed that allows the compressor to run for longer periods of time to ensure dehumidification.  With variable speed, the compressor and fan can be run at just enough cooling capacity to meet the temperature requirement while running a longer time to achieve proper dehumidification.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Lower fan speeds and longer run times will remove more water from the air.  So, two approaches.  ONe, lower the fan speed for cooling.  Two, adjust your thermostat to not be as responsive which will not turn ac on as quick and then overshoot the setpoint which will result in longer run times to remove more water from the air.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bump. I wanna know if op has the system I'm wanting installed.
View Quote

I have a 2 ton trane xr17 two stage heat hump, with a tam7 variable speed air handler. Xl824 thermostat I think.

I love that thing. I was 100 degrees outside for a whole month. I kept it cold enough to cover up with a blanket, and my highest power bill was $130

The thermostat tells you if it's running in stage 1 or 2 and the speed of the air handler. It can stay in stage one about 50% air speed most of the time, then when it's hot as piss 105 degrees outside, it can kick up and still keep the house cold.

And on the opposite side when we have temps down in the single digits it can easily heat the home without back up heat.

I researched for a couple months and then negotiated the deal for about another month. From what I hear I got a steal. $6800 for the heat pump, air handler, and all duct work. They started from scratch. I had window units before.

It's a 2 bedroom 800sq ft home well sealed and insulated. Fyi.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks that's what I was looking at.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Running the fan all the time makes it more humid not less.  Once the compressor shuts down, if the fan doesn't shut down, it just picks up all that water on the coils and spreads it through out the house.

The fan should be set to auto so the water on the coils has time to drip and drain.

The key to good dehumidification is to have a unit that is not over-sized or even better to have a unit with variable speed that allows the compressor to run for longer periods of time to ensure dehumidification.  With variable speed, the compressor and fan can be run at just enough cooling capacity to meet the temperature requirement while running a longer time to achieve proper dehumidification.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that was the problem, I hope. I noticed the fan running more, but I didn't realize that the fan somehow got set to always on. I leave it on auto, so it cuts off with the unit. I accidentally changed it or someone else turned the fan to always on.

I'll update in a couple days to say if that's what it was. I bought a dehumidifier, and it took 60 pints out in 24hrs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#24]
After about a week, that was the problem. The humidity is back down to 45-55% at night. It's crazy just the fan running shot the humidity up to65-70%.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#26]
aquarium specs?

You're running a lid, right?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
aquarium specs?

View Quote

54 gallon corner tank. Heavily planted with live plants. It has bright lights and c02 injected. It's kinda like a grate on top, glass fogs up and kills the light output.

I doubt it evaporates much more than a normal tank.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

54 gallon corner tank. Heavily planted with live plants. It has bright lights and c02 injected. It's kinda like a grate on top, glass fogs up and kills the light output.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
aquarium specs?

Yeah, it does

I was rocking a 5 gal saltwater coral tank(warm as heck), with a lid, and I lost maybe a water bottles worth a week. You're pouring hummidity into the air without a lid, but since it's planted, not much you can do aside from try to seal it off, or keep a dehumidifier next to it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#29]
My dehumidifier is pulling 5+ gallons of water a day every day - Was tempted to plumb it back to my aquarium - but then I would be worried about the tank overflowing.  Perhaps I will think of some way to get it to overflow to a bucket to empty daily.

I also ran a planted tank - open tops do evaporate much more quickly.  Both because of airflow across the top - and the MUCH brighter/hotter lights.  My planted tank had a 250 watt HQI over it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top