Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 says there is no way that it would make sense for the OP's cousin to buy that condo even if he had a snowball's chance in Hell of getting approved.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
If he enjoys being house poor then he can do it.

Based on the little info provided, if he can cover the monthly bills he will have nothing left for a social life.  Here is where he will be in 3-5 years:

1.  100,000 student debt
2.  200,000 mortgage
3.  50,000+ in new credit card debit because he won't have cash to pay for anything.

$350,000+ in debt before he is 30.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
He should focus on increasing his salary before buying the condo.

I waited until I was making over $55k a year to buy a house, and I only wanted my mortgage to be $170k.

You need a lot of savings to be a home owner. Shit breaks, and there's no landlord to cover the costs of fixing it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not yet, I'm trying to mind my own business. I'm curious enough to see if he would get approved so that's why I'm asking here. I hope he doesn't, and at that point hopefully he will reevaluate.

As far as the student loans go, I hate to say it but you can't get a 45k a year job without a degree. This position requires *some sort* of degree bachelors degree. (Health insurance sales)
View Quote

That isn't true at all. You can make 45k and more with no degree working for a large retail chain.

I started at $37k working retail LP with no degree. Next promotion would have been to 55k, then 75k after that.  But I got a degree so I could work in a field that didn't suck so bad lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
He'll need some roommates until he makes enough money to kick them out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With 200K, closing costs, Taxes, and low ball insurance he is at $1400.00/month.  HOA fees could $100 or $500 month. Big nut on 45K.
View Quote

I would say INSANE actually.

My house cost half of that (no HOA fees or anything added) along with $160/mo property taxes and $80/mo insurance and that is plenty for me.  I have no other debt besides the house (cars, mortgage, etc.) and I make considerably more.  I am also paying $400/mo extra in principle and my wife works too.

Everyone saying that they allow 45% DTI blows my mind and I wouldn't go above 28% including all loan repayments (car, student loans, etc.).

This year I have $13K in repairs (driveway replacement and 5 windows).  If I had purchased a $200K+ house I would be screwed.  Even now though that expense puts a good sized dent my savings.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not yet, I'm trying to mind my own business. I'm curious enough to see if he would get approved so that's why I'm asking here. I hope he doesn't, and at that point hopefully he will reevaluate.

As far as the student loans go, I hate to say it but you can't get a 45k a year job without a degree. This position requires *some sort* of degree bachelors degree. (Health insurance sales)
View Quote

Horse hockey....

1.  There's no way he should be buying a house, let alone a 200k condo with 100k in student loans.
2.  You can absolutely make 45k/year without a degree...I have friends working in a factory that make more than that.
3.  He needs to buckle down and pay off those loans before he takes on ANY more debt....let alone a mortgage.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
How many years until the "Bankruptcy Question" thread?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I hate to say it but you can't get a 45k a year job without a degree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

uhm, just about everyone i know makes 50-100k without a degree thru various means. I make within that range and never stepped foot in college.

Quoted:
Page 2 says there is no way that it would make sense for the OP's cousin to buy that condo even if he had a snowball's chance in Hell of getting approved.

If there are mortgage lenders that said they would approve him, that is whats wrong with the housing market.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

uhm, just about everyone i know makes 50-100k without a degree thru various means. I make within that range and never stepped foot in college.

And yet, we have 2, count them 2 mortgage lenders that said they would approve him. Welcome to whats wrong with this country.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And yet, we have 2, count them 2 mortgage lenders that said they would approve him. Welcome to whats wrong with this country.

Quote fail....but agreed.

EDIT: Sniped me...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Nevermind, im a 'tard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, uh no.

I make right at $48-50K per year and no degree.Some of my coworkers make $50-55K per year,no degree

My house payment was $650-700 a month but i paid double that every month and paid it off in less than 8 years.Buying house #2 next year and will do the same thing,again with no degree.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top