Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a say $2k limit I would say Sako.  Under $1k Steyr Prohunter, Browning and CZ.  And this is we are only talking bolt guns.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nicer than Kreighoff? Blaser? Kolar?

Thats not even to mention the next step up; Holland and Holland, Purdey, etc.

Edit: people talking about AR manufacturers and whatnot must be joking
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
BCM, because op said regular run of the mill
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BCM, because op said regular run of the mill
View Quote
Got to agree. Every BCM gun and upper I've had my hands on is very well done considering the price. I need 2 of their 20" government uppers for the growing stockpile of parts.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
HK  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any firearm as long as it's a production piece?

Anchutz

"nice" is pretty subjective.  Some might think pretty.  I tend to think quality + accuracy + durability.
View Quote

Yep Annies sure are nice someday I will own one....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually, MIM is an extension of Powered Metal technology.  MIM was developed  for one reason …… to eliminate the need for secondary operations on PM parts. It is in affect a "blending" of plastic injection technology  and PM technology.

On straight PM parts, it is impossible to mold say threads and other features into a part. With MIM, it is now possible to do things with Powered Metal that could not be done before……. eliminating the need to add these things thru secondary operations.

PM technology has been around for a LONG time….. MIM is "relatively" new.

As far as strength is concerned,  PM technology has been used for YEARS AND YEARS to make parts like…….. the huge gears in the transmissions of Case excavating equipment, transmission gears and parts in MANY applications, connecting rods in modern motors ( for years) , came shafts, ball joints, etc. etc.

MANY MANY parts that are subjected to high stress and loads in every thing we use today. In our cars, trucks, motorcycles, snow machines, atvs, electric motors and appliances ……… just about every thing you come in contact with everyday.  The strength is there.

As far as maintaining dimensions is concerned, manufacturing processes are improving all the time…… I can only imagine where MIM manufacturing will be in 10 years.  As for now? MIM is great technology and has many many uses it is well suited for.

Nothing wrong with MIM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NONE

due to mim etc.

retarded statement. MIM =/= cast

As an engineer, this is a bigoted and ill-informed statement on many levels.

The first and foremost is that MIM was mainly introduced to replace machined parts that were costly and time consuming to manufacture. So even if you think casting = MIM, you would not replace machined parts with cast ones. They were machined for a reason!! That is asking for trouble. Especially when speaking about gun parts that are frequently replaced with MIM to save money, such as extractors. There is not only the issue of strength, but as well as being dimensionally correct. You won't even be on the same ballpark with dimensions.

Ok sorry, rant off

Actually, MIM is an extension of Powered Metal technology.  MIM was developed  for one reason …… to eliminate the need for secondary operations on PM parts. It is in affect a "blending" of plastic injection technology  and PM technology.

On straight PM parts, it is impossible to mold say threads and other features into a part. With MIM, it is now possible to do things with Powered Metal that could not be done before……. eliminating the need to add these things thru secondary operations.

As far as strength is concerned,  PM technology has been used for YEARS AND YEARS to make parts like…….. the huge gears in the transmissions of Case excavating equipment, transmission gears and parts in MANY applications, connecting rods in modern motors ( for years) , came shafts, ball joints, etc. etc.

MANY MANY parts that are subjected to high stress and loads in every thing we use today. In our cars, trucks, motorcycles, snow machines, atvs, electric motors and appliances ……… just about every thing you come in contact with everyday.  The strength is there.

As far as maintaining dimensions is concerned, manufacturing processes are improving all the time…… I can only imagine where MIM manufacturing will be in 10 years.  As for now? MIM is great technology and has many many uses it is well suited for.

Nothing wrong with MIM.

Not arguing with that. I am standing up for quality manufacturing of small parts in firearms that have no business being MIM. I've machined trigger group parts and bolt carrier group parts and performed QA on them as well as developing MIM counterparts for those pieces. I know the difference, I know the challenges facing in developing molds that work for these pieces without creating voids and also the fact that at some point you have to decide what kind of voids are acceptable (something you'd never worry about with machined parts).

Most gun companies do NOT go through a proper development process for these MIM parts, and most of them will not pass a QA check if you check it against a proper print with the original tolerances. I know, I've done all this myself.

Development of MIM parts in the firearms industry is not an advanced science like it is in other industries.

I landed a job as manufacturing engineer one of the highest regardeon AR manufacturers on this board and I was highly disappointed in the methods of testing, development and true science done on these weapons we all trust our lives to. I got fed up and now work as an IndyCar engineer doing some real science on the cutting edge.

The smartest people are not in the (mainstream) gun manufacturing business, unfortunately. There's a few, but they are grossly  outnumbered.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
L
Quoted:

Not arguing with that. I am standing up for quality manufacturing of small parts in firearms that have no business being MIM. I've machined trigger group parts and bolt carrier group parts and performed QA on them as well as developing MIM counterparts for those pieces. I know the difference, I know the challenges facing in developing molds that work for these pieces without creating voids and also the fact that at some point you have to decide what kind of voids are acceptable (something you'd never worry about with machined parts).

Most gun companies do NOT go through a proper development process for these MIM parts, and most of them will not pass a QA check if you check it against a proper print with the original tolerances. I know, I've done all this myself.

Development of MIM parts in the firearms industry is not an advanced science like it is in other industries.

I landed a job as manufacturing engineer one of the highest regardeon AR manufacturers on this board and I was highly disappointed in the methods of testing, development and true science done on these weapons we all trust our lives to. I got fed up and now work as an IndyCar engineer doing some real science on the cutting edge.

The smartest people are not in the (mainstream) gun manufacturing business, unfortunately. There's a few, but they are grossly  outnumbered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NONE

due to mim etc.

retarded statement. MIM =/= cast

As an engineer, this is a bigoted and ill-informed statement on many levels.

The first and foremost is that MIM was mainly introduced to replace machined parts that were costly and time consuming to manufacture. So even if you think casting = MIM, you would not replace machined parts with cast ones. They were machined for a reason!! That is asking for trouble. Especially when speaking about gun parts that are frequently replaced with MIM to save money, such as extractors. There is not only the issue of strength, but as well as being dimensionally correct. You won't even be on the same ballpark with dimensions.

Ok sorry, rant off

Nothing wrong with MIM.

Just like Sig's PM ejectors that were snapping like twigs on their 357's ....gimme forged and milled any day!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
SIG Sauer
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
easy peasy its lorcin Raven.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ha ha wow that looks like my kids did it with a dremel  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gunsmoke makes some quality guns with engraving that is 2nd to none.

http://wingman26.com/images/shooting/ag3-engraved.jpg
ha ha wow that looks like my kids did it with a dremel  

With a 16P nail in the collet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
HK.
View Quote

First post nails it again
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Overall = Beretta

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned FN.

HK obviously is up there as well....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They claim half inch at 300yds with it too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They claim half inch at 300yds with it too.
I've never heard of Fuchs, but those are some beautiful rifles.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wasn't Rich arrested recently?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Holland and Holland, upper end Berettas, Merkel, Heym, etc.

And HK WTF?  Not even in the same league.
View Quote

Came to post the same, my uncle has a Merkel and it is a sexy and accurate gun but not many know of them.
He has a safe full of high end guns and the wood alone on some of them is worth more then some people's whole collection.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned FN.

HK obviously is up there as well....
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1776015_FN_has_big_problems.html
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Beretta

Their timeline speaks for itself.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he should be for that engraving job.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#21]

I second the nomination for Gunsmoke. Just look at that Old World Craftsmanship.

Admittedly, these are their finest work that they showed off for TV, but still...

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nice guns, but their QC over the last decade or so has a mixed reputation at best.
View All Quotes

Not at the German shop that builds the SIG X Series Pistols where quality is as good or better than ever.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Any which has a ISO 9000 cert?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any which has a ISO 9000 cert?
View Quote

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top