Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 9:18:32 AM EDT
can lead to this.......

For those with bad neighbors, be damn careful and don't end up like this. Even if this guy gets off, think of what his legal bills will be, not to mention the civil suit that will probably be filed at some point.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/2015/08/27/testimony-continues-thursday-union-county-murder-trial/32466939/

*Update*

Cliff's note version.

Shooter was tried and jury was hung.

He will be retried.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/2015/10/05/union-co-man-expected-learn-if-he-retried/73365038/
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What would you propose to do that would have avoided a situation like in the post.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Move
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Move
View Quote

Easy to say, not always so easy to do. I wish that guy luck.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok Ill play. So youve done all the right things. Youve sold your house. You are in the process of loadind the moving truck , crazy neighbor attacks. Now what?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok Ill play. So youve done all the right things. Youve sold your house. You are in the process of loadind the moving truck , crazy neighbor attacks. Now what?
View Quote

Where I live?  Pew pew pew.

It's a pretty shitty decision to have to make, but IDK what else to do besides solve the immediate danger and then go from there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Move

You are right, it's not easy.

But, look where it ended up. Not only is the guy looking at possible jail time, he's looking at a civil trial and possibly a judgement. Again, the civil trial may not happen, but he definitely will have legal bills out the ass for the criminal proceeding. He lost his job as well. Most likely he is looking at financial ruin. Situations like this also lend themselves to divorce, and you know what? He's still living next door to this guys family.

The odds of him being able to sell his house have gone down dramatically now that everyone knows who lives next door as well.

In the end, moving was probably not near as difficult as what he has to deal with now........

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What would you propose to do that would have avoided a situation like in the post.
View Quote

Contact the BATF, set up a sting operation, in exchange for your participation and cooperation for prosecuting a violent felon who is threatening you, they will instant stamp your Class III applications?  Sounds like a win win for everyone.

Furthermore, you can then buy your neighbors house from the bank for cheap and flip it making some extra cash to feed your hobbies.... or simply just to take a piss in to establish your dominance.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Move
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
dang. looks like he refused to sell his neighbor, a felon, a gun.

felon attacks man and son with stick. man shoots felon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The jury may decide that an attack with a stick was not a deadly threat, and defendant will be SOL.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The jury may decide that an attack with a stick was not a deadly threat, and defendant will be SOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sucks right. it sounds like his son got hit and maybe he shot out of retaliation.

granted one solid punch or hit with a stick could knock you out and kill you. I think it  could warrant deadly force, but they mentioned something about shell casings on the wrong side of the street so who knows what really happened.  

At least he didn't sell the felon a gun, and then said felon kills this guy with his previous gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

sucks right. it sounds like his son got hit and maybe he shot out of retaliation.

granted one solid punch or hit with a stick could knock you out and kill you. I think it  could warrant deadly force, but they mentioned something about shell casings on the wrong side of the street so who knows what really happened.  

At least he didn't sell the felon a gun, and then said felon kills this guy with his previous gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, we aren't getting the whole story.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  With the info we have this should be open and shut.

Considering the shooter seemed to video tape every trip he took to the mail box you'd think the altercation would be on tape as well.

I feel for the guy though.  We had to deal with antagonistic, ex felon neighbors for years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Considering the shooter seemed to video tape every trip he took to the mail box you'd think the altercation would be on tape as well.
View Quote

Cops/prosecutor/court may be sitting on it?

Absence from the internet does not mean it doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence my agreement with the poster I quoted who said "were not getting the whole story. "
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hence my agreement with the poster I quoted who said "were not getting the whole story. "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct. There is a better story on this case, I'll search and link it.

Basically, the forensic evidence had/has the local PD and DA doubting the self defense aspect due to where the shooter said he was when he shot and where the shell casings were found.

To add a bit more, the shooter was a school resource officer (school attached PD officer).
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Basically, the forensic evidence had/has the local PD and DA doubting the self defense aspect due to where the shooter said he was when he shot and where the shell casings were found.

To add a bit more, the shooter was a school resource officer (school attached PD officer).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reports I dug up said he was a security guard & ran an FFL out of his house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The reports I dug up said he was a security guard & ran an FFL out of his house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was actually a SRO, school resource officer in adjacent Knox county. They work for the school board but are from the local PD, carry a gun, etc. A higher level of training than your run of the mill security mall ninja.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't interact with my neighbors, nor do I act in a way that would encourage them to attempt interacting with me.

Consequently, I've never had issues with any of my neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't interact with my neighbors, nor do I act in a way that would encourage them to attempt interacting with me.

View Quote

Are your neighbors felons, or nuts, or both?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it exists and isn't being admitted into evidence, then it's because his own attorney doesn't want it to be evidence.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If it exists and isn't being admitted into evidence, then it's because his own attorney doesn't want it to be evidence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it isn't admitted, does that mean it will likely never see the light of day? (at least until the trial is over)
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's a bit of an update:

http://wate.com/2015/08/27/former-knox-county-schools-security-officer-on-trial-for-2nd-degree-murder/

Looks like it's drawing to a close. It also appears the investigation was messed up.

For those not familiar with this area, Union county is a pretty rural county north of Knoxville. Not much goes on up there as it has a pretty sparse population. About the biggest claim to fame is Norris lake.

My main reason for posting this is to show how these "bad neighbor" stories can spiral out of control. In the end, everyone is a loser. Even if this guy gets off from the criminal charges, he's probably looking at a civil suit. Not to mention all his legal bills and loss of his job. Not to mention he still lives across the street from the other family. So, when those that have neighbors like this are told to move, it's really probably the best thing. Otherwise, they can end up like this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#25]
WBIR? That's my local news.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't know.

Quoted:
I don't interact with my neighbors...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You hit me or mine with that "stick" and damn right I'm going to ventilate you.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

can lead to this.......

For those with bad neighbors, be damn careful and don't end up like this. Even if this guy gets off, think of what his legal bills will be, not to mention the civil suit that will probably be filed at some point.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/2015/08/27/testimony-continues-thursday-union-county-murder-trial/32466939/
View Quote
Mistake 1) he talked to the cops without representation.

If he has asked for a lawyer first, this trial may never have happened
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/353*198/waggoner+trial1.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/353*198/waggoner+trial1.jpg

Is that the "walking stick" they said he hit his kid with?

If so good shoot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#31]
*small update*

One of the local news teams has a Twitter feed live from the trial.

According to former neighbors of the shooter, he not only filmed them, he supposedly flashed a gun at one and stated to another he wanted to shoot someone "to see how it feels".

If any of that is true, looks pretty damning for him.

Will update later with links.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
*small update*

According to former neighbors of the shooter, he not only filmed them, he supposedly flashed a gun at one and stated to another he wanted to shoot someone "to see how it feels".

View Quote

http://wate.com/2015/08/31/trial-for-former-knox-county-security-guard-continues-monday/
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Mistrial. https://twitter.com/Cameron_WATE
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

*small update*

View Quote
Sounds like a case of "when assholes collide"

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Where's the HOA friendly violation slip?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#36]
*update*

As was previously posted, a mistrial was declared.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/2015/09/01/jury-deliberations-set-resume-union-co-man-accused-murder/71504188/

The jury sounds like they were all over the page, from guilty of 2nd degree murder, guilty of a lessor charge to innocent.

The investigation had its issues as well. Sloppy work, a statement from the shooter that had the wrong time on it as far as his Miranda rights, etc.

There were some statements from the shooters previous neighbors that weren't admitted as evidence to the jury, but sure painted the shooter as a trigger happy dumbass wanting to shoot someone, if that was true.

Depending on what the DA decides, they could re-try him on the criminal charges. I would not be surprised at all to see a civil trial in this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
*update*

As was previously posted, a mistrial was declared.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/2015/09/01/jury-deliberations-set-resume-union-co-man-accused-murder/71504188/

The jury sounds like they were all over the page, from guilty of 2nd degree murder, guilty of a lessor charge to innocent.

The investigation had its issues as well. Sloppy work, a statement from the shooter that had the wrong time on it as far as his Miranda rights, etc.

There were some statements from the shooters previous neighbors that weren't admitted as evidence to the jury, but sure painted the shooter as a trigger happy dumbass wanting to shoot someone, if that was true.

Depending on what the DA decides, they could re-try him on the criminal charges. I would not be surprised at all to see a civil trial in this.
View Quote

Thanks for updating.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#38]
*update from jury member*

http://wate.com/2015/09/02/juror-says-panel-could-not-come-to-agreement-in-waggoner-murder-trial/

It will be interesting to see if there is another trial. With 8 saying he was guilty, I would think the state is seriously considering trying it again, just a guess though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Update in original post.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#40]
The other interesting fact coming out of this hearing is that his attorney has now quit.

His attorney quit because the shooter can't pay him. He is now an indigent case and will now have a public defender appointed for him.

This all goes to show how the use of deadly force can come back and bite you in the ass. Whether he was justified or not, his financial ruin is obvious. And this is even before any civil trial that may or may not be filed in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top