BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im guessing, MOS selection is a direct function of opportunities offered by the recruiter based strictly on their test scores. Nothing more, nothing less.No bg government conspiracy, no Black anti man conspiracy.
View Quote

Doesn't infantry have the lowest requirements for scores?....

Or at the very least lower than supply, commo?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
More in food services.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Exactly who told you about our double secret community meetings where they were told fighting for the man is stupid

Ill begin Negro card revocation proceedings at once.

Im guessing, MOS selection is a direct function of opportunities offered by the recruiter based strictly on their test scores. Nothing more, nothing less.No bg government conspiracy, no Black anti man conspiracy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
2 factors come into play when Blacks join the military 1) the community they come from often has the opinion that fighting for "the man" is stupid and 2) going into combat arms will not give them marketable post service skills

Exactly who told you about our double secret community meetings where they were told fighting for the man is stupid

The military has studied the subject extensively because of the identified problem of lack of diversity in combat arms and aviation since the 80s. So it probably is more of except from the subjects of the various studies reports on why they went into  their chosen field than anything else

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laundry
Cook
Water purification
supply
admin
some commo (wire dogs)
heavy eqpt operator
etc

all lower GT score requirements than infantry. (my information is dated ten years)

Not that it matters, because the Army will give GT waivers for jobs with higher requirements than infantry to people with scores lower than required by infantry.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I was an 88M and eventually reclassed to 88N, the majority of the supply unit I was in were black. It was awkward at first and when we had water combat survival training most of the company could not swim and did not have to participate.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
when I was in, (81-85 ) black MI were like unicorns.  very rare. rarer still where black 33s (ew intercept systems repairer)  we had 3 in a shop of more than 150+ and then the supply folks and teletype counted for maybe 5 more, the analysts were more white if possible.  ( this was in field station Berlin)
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was an 88M and eventually reclassed to 88N, the majority of the supply unit I was in were black. It was awkward at first and when we had water combat survival training most of the company could not swim and did not have to participate.
View Quote
LoL

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was at Ft. Gordon in the early 90's (home of the Signal Corp) and don't recall a disproportionate amount of blacks.
View Quote

I was there as well in 1996 for 31C school, and never noticed it, either.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Supply, admin (42A types) and finance. Tankers and FA seem to have more than infantry from what I've seen on the outside looking in.
View Quote

Yup
Had 3-4 black dudes in the tank crews. One ROTC, Jimmy the Color Blind Gunner, one prior service Marine Embassy guard from Vietnam that was a TC, and Marvin. Great loader but he took up a lot of space in the turret. Cookie Monster we called him. Dude had mad snack stash on FTX.

None in scouts or support. 80-87.

Eta
Probably 20-25 guys out of 160 man training co. at Knox during  OSUT.
And the company senior DI.

Etaa
Cuz heaters and low probability of carrying your ruck.
Same reason as me. That and big guns n shit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Huh.  Funny.  Coulda sworn my MOS at the time was 98C  Electronic Warfare Signals Intelligence Analyst.

Guess my years with the 704th MI Bde, the 102nd MI Bn and the 703rd MI Bde along with various TDY missions were wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Signal has the same irregular smattering of black Americans that other intel gigs have.

It's hard to judge right now, as in 2005-2009 GT score waivers were provided to stupid people of all colors for many jobs that need intelligent people. The Army is not effective at removing people from jobs they have no business being in.

Signal is not an "intell gig".

Counter Signals Intelligence is but not Signal.  You can tell by the Class A Uniform Branch Insignia.

Signal:Two signal flags crossed, dexter flag white with a red center, the sinister flag red with a white center, staffs gold, with a flaming torch of gold color metal upright at center of crossed flags; 22 millimeters (7/8 inch) in height. The enlisted version is entirely gold color metal.

MI;  On a gold color metal dagger, point up, 32 millimeters (1 1/4 inches) overall in height, a gold color metal heraldic sun composed of four straight and four wavy alternating rays surmounted by a gold heraldic rose, the petals are dark blue enamel. The enlisted version lacks the enamel.

But thank you for your non-MI non-Signal Corps service.

Huh.  Funny.  Coulda sworn my MOS at the time was 98C  Electronic Warfare Signals Intelligence Analyst.

Guess my years with the 704th MI Bde, the 102nd MI Bn and the 703rd MI Bde along with various TDY missions were wrong.

Do you per chance recall the Branch Insignia?
That MOS would be a 35N now.  
http://www.army-portal.com/jobs/signal/
No 35 series listed  there.

I hate to break it to you cable dawg but you weren't in the Signal Corps any more than the voice intercept guys.
Being a (Signal) Analyst also would not  make you part of the Med Corps.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The military has studied the subject extensively because of the identified problem of lack of diversity in combat arms and aviation since the 80s. So it probably is more of except from the subjects of the various studies reports on why they went into  their chosen field than anything else

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 factors come into play when Blacks join the military 1) the community they come from often has the opinion that fighting for "the man" is stupid and 2) going into combat arms will not give them marketable post service skills

Cite?

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was on 03 there was 1-2 black guys in my entire company. Now I'm in comm, and it's a much higher percentage.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I was a 26Y SatCom Tech (now it's 25S) from 84-89 and my MOS was generally white and male.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cite?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cite?

Google "Black Officer under-representation in combat arms branch" by Maj Emett Burke.

One of the the statement within is "other causes arise from conditions that exist outside the Army and result from consequences of social and cultural norms"

Beyond that there are only like 200k different things on it on the net and having heard it about 1000 times as minority officer though out my 26 years in uniform
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Google "Black Officer under-representation in combat arms branch" by Maj Emett Burke.

One of the the statement within is "other causes arise from conditions that exist outside the Army and result from consequences of social and cultural norms"

Beyond that there are only like 200k different things on it on the net and having heard it about 1000 times as minority officer though out my 26 years in uniform
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cite?

MINORITY VET FIGHT IN THE PARKING LOT  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

MINORITY VET FIGHT IN THE PARKING LOT  
View Quote

What pisses me off are all anonymous survey I get from the Marine Corps on race relationship I get hate emails on for ignoring 2nd and 3rd notifications for not doing them
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-01-20-army-race-usat-_x.htm

I think a large segment of recruits are swayed by the Vietnam era "I don't wanna die for the man" myth. If I recall in 1965 13% of those killed in Vietnam were AA and 11% of the population was AA but the press ran with a 2% difference and it's stuck ever since.

My initial entry contract resulted in assignment to A co 82nd Sig Bn, 82nd Abn Div & 50th Sig bn, 35th Sig Bde as a 31C & 31U now called 25C & 25U as well as 3 years at a FA battalion and I've served as an 11B in infantry & 12B in combat engineer companies and SF (ODA 911 & ODA 912)

I have not noticed a disproportionate amount of AAs matching nor exceeding their proportion of population in any of these units.

But I have noticed, like others have mentioned a disproportionate amount of AAs in supply, transportation, etc. and like another person mentioned, generally (I can think of a few exceptions) those who opted for combat arms have been exceptional soldiers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Statements made dismissed as fantasy due to lack of direct link.

You have been here 10+ years.

When you make statements you claim to be facts, you need to show supporting links. Its not my job to google around, nor will "its in google" do that. Opinions dont need support, facts do.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#19]

our Infantry Company in German was in 3rds. 1/3 Black, 1/3 White, 1/3 Hispanic.

no big deal.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When you make statements you claim to be facts, you need to show supporting links. Its not my job to google around, nor will "its in google" do that. Opinions dont need support, facts do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is it,  moral cowardice that prevents you from actual looking it up?   I even gave you what to google, because the DTIC stored PDF is displayed and you can read it for yourself.

For those too lazy or lack other things

“The  study found that cadets were influenced by the beliefs and opinions of students, e.g., cadets at a school where students believed the Army was not fair, tended also to believe that the Army was
not fair.

and

Social and cultural factors both on and off campus may influence that choice

and

Clearly, the study indicates that Blacks, who have a higher propensity to serve, join the Army for different reasons than other ethnic groups. The Black’s preference for pay over a desire to
serve the country, is related to the Black’s predisposition to serve in non-combat occupations. Those recruits that join the Army out of a need to serve their country are more likely to serve in combat arms occupations.

And if down load it you find things like

Other causes arise from conditions that exist outside the Army and result from the consequences of social and cultural influences
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

no big deal.

View Quote

I call B.S.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I call B.S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no big deal.

I call B.S.
call it what you want. I got plenty of pics to prove it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And PAC and NBC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What black guys?

The ones at supply

And PAC and NBC

Early 80s there were extremely few black Paratroopers for some reason.  Don't know why, just was.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Never really paid attention. In the 80's, everyone knew their job, black, white or whatever.
Never noticed any representation out of the ordinary. All that stood out was the 1SG's were dicks
and O3's were all marathon runners.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know what it's like now, but in the 90's when I was in, there were a lot of black enlisted soldiers in signal units compared to the amount of black soldiers in other MOS's. Anyone else notice that? If so, anyone got any theories about why?
View Quote

Were you listening to Coast to Coast?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no big deal.

I call B.S.

You may have been in the one unicorn unit out there, but historically your example has not been seen throughout the military since the implementation of the AVF
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I was in the Army Signal Corp from 1967 to 1969, including 8 months at Ft. Monmouth, New Jersey, and two tours in Viet Nam.  MOS of 26L20, then 26V40B2 after AIT, microwave radio repairman.  Probably about 10% black in school and in the field.   Generally pretty sharp guys who pulled their weight.  Seemed to me that more blacks were grunts than any other MOS at that time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Mid to late 70s. 2 Cavalry, West Germany. We had quite a few blacks in the line platoons. More in HQ platoon. Most were good soldiers for the time. I had some excellent black NCOs. Almost all of them were Vietnam vets. Only remember one black officer in K Troop. Lt. Albert Bryant. Nickname was Pinhead. I think he retired as a 2 star. The brothers of that time were way different than most young black men I see today. My friends always dressed nice, had manners and were respectful to everyone. They also gave me a lifelong love for soul and R&B music. I still remember the K Troop DAP. LOL.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Modern day code talkers?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cooks, supply, and motorpool.

View Quote

Supply for the win. Usually also Masonic .
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Can't say for today but if you looked back during the Vietnam conflict, LOTS of minorities in combat units with lots of time in the field! The enlisted "Caucasians," were primarily low income/social class who couldn't get college deferment (or head to Canada).
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I was USMC and can tell you they were very few Blacks in Avionics.  In the four years I was in, I served with only one.  He was our NCOIC in HMA-369. It wasn't they weren't given an opportunity, but they flunked out of A School when they got lead aside about being black by the shit bird blacks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I think a large segment of recruits are swayed by the Vietnam era "I don't wanna die for the man" myth. If I recall in 1965 13% of those killed in Vietnam were AA and 11% of the population was AA but the press ran with a 2% difference and it's stuck ever since.

My initial entry contract resulted in assignment to A co 82nd Sig Bn, 82nd Abn Div & 50th Sig bn, 35th Sig Bde as a 31C & 31U now called 25C & 25U as well as 3 years at a FA battalion and I've served as an 11B in infantry & 12B in combat engineer companies and SF (ODA 911 & ODA 912)

I have not noticed a disproportionate amount of AAs matching nor exceeding their proportion of population in any of these units.

But I have noticed, like others have mentioned a disproportionate amount of AAs in supply, transportation, etc. and like another person mentioned, generally (I can think of a few exceptions) those who opted for combat arms have been exceptional soldiers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know during Desert Shield, the company in my ROTC battalion that was based out of a cluster of historically black colleges and universities would not wear their uniforms on campus for fear of being assaulted, due to the agitation by some "black leaders" over claims that there were disproportionate numbers of blacks in combat arms, and in general opposition to the idea of fighting Saddam.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can't say for today but if you looked back during the Vietnam conflict, LOTS of minorities in combat units with lots of time in the field! The enlisted "Caucasians," were primarily low income/social class who couldn't get college deferment (or head to Canada).
View Quote

As one who was a Caucasian who served  in Viet Nam,  I resent and disagree with your allegation about white soldiers.  You have no fucking clue what the motivation of any individual, regardless of color, who wanted to serve or had to serve.

I see you must have grown up with the typical anti-war bullshit spouted by those who lacked the balls to serve, and used that  to justify their cowardice.  It's nothing more than the "I am too smart to serve" bullshit I have heard for over 40 years.  

By the way,  where is your tank?  

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes the 31s. And cooks.

But we had 11Bs too. Mostly good dudes.

Hated the fucking cooks.

This was early 80s.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As one who was a Caucasian who served  in Viet Nam,  I resent and disagree with your allegation about white soldiers.  You have no fucking clue what the motivation of any individual, regardless of color, who wanted to serve or had to serve.

I see you must have grown up with the typical anti-war bullshit spouted by those who lacked the balls to serve, and used that  to justify their cowardice.  It's nothing more than the "I am too smart to serve" bullshit I have heard for over 40 years.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't let him bother you.  He's probably an "expert" on his Vietnam claims because he saw them on TV.

BTW, thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Not in the 80s.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What is it,  moral cowardice that prevents you from actual looking it up?

View Quote

When you make an assertion presented as factual its your job, not mine, to prove your point. Goldbrick- a soldier who invents excuses to avoid performing a task. Its your work, not mine.
Before you cast anymore innuendos related to my morals, Id suggest you remember you dont fucking know me from a can of paint.
Cadets? I didnt read that right. Your facts are a study of cadets?

I didnt see any Cadets in any of my units. I saw them on campus, but not in Signal, not in any unit. I think thats what the thread was about. Blacks in Signal?
By the way, the abstract in the beginning says something totally different...

<nobr>The research revealed that there were two significant factors that determined the branch</nobr>

<nobr>assignments of Black cadets: cadet performance and cadet attitude toward service.  Black HBCU</nobr>

<nobr>cadets compete adequately with other cadets when it comes to on-campus ROTC scores but they</nobr>

<nobr>do poorly at Advanced Camp.  Black cadets were less likely to consider the Army fair and had a</nobr>

<nobr>negative perception of combat arms branches. These personal attitudes toward service have had a</nobr>

<nobr>negative influence on performance.  Additionally, Black cadets lack combat arms mentors to</nobr>

<nobr>provide them the needed motivation, tutelage and guidance.</nobr>

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When you make an assertion presented as factual its your job, not mine, to prove your point. Goldbrick- a soldier who invents excuses to avoid performing a task. Its your work, not mine.

Before you cast anymore innuendos related to my morals, Id suggest you remember you dont fucking know me from a can of paint.

I didnt see any Cadets in any of my units. I saw them on campus, but not in Signal, not in any unit. I think thats what the thread was about. Blacks in Signal?

<nobr>The research revealed that there were two significant factors that determined the branch</nobr>
<nobr>assignments of Black cadets: cadet performance and cadet attitude toward service.  Black HBCU</nobr>
<nobr>cadets compete adequately with other cadets when it comes to on-campus ROTC scores but they</nobr>
<nobr>do poorly at Advanced Camp.  Black cadets were less likely to consider the Army fair and had a</nobr>
<nobr>negative perception of combat arms branches. These personal attitudes toward service have had a</nobr>
<nobr>negative influence on performance.  Additionally, Black cadets lack combat arms mentors to</nobr>

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it,  moral cowardice that prevents you from actual looking it up?

It was about blacks in combat arms and why they are not there

Apparently you attempt to deflect your lack or reading, analysis or critical thinking with silly icons

You apparent believe since you are either too lazy, or thin skinned to actual lookup  the statistic and truth on the issues people should not know them did you even look at the almost 200k links to how the combat arms is too white?  I figure you won't

And actually I have seen candidates in units during their summer training, they are often called "3rd Lts"
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#41]
It was like that in the late 1970s, we were on the same Kaserene with the 143rd Signal battalion.

Most heavily black unit in the division.  Both signals guys in our battalion were also black.

Air Force was different, virtually all the comm guys were white, only the admin AFSC had a large number of black guys & girls.

I don't believe recruiters pushed recruits into these fields, it was a personal choice.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cooks, supply, and motorpool.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yep. And cooks. Most non combat jobs. But the few black grunts I know are pretty high speed, over all ok guys.
View Quote

Its been widely observed that most minorities join the military to learn skills.
A majority of whites join to serve the country, which translates to being the tip of the spear.
Generally speaking.
Unless there is an unpopular war and draft going on, like Vietnam.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know what it's like now, but in the 90's when I was in, there were a lot of black enlisted soldiers in signal units compared to the amount of black soldiers in other MOS's. Anyone else notice that? If so, anyone got any theories about why?

You mean, was I listening to C2C the day I axed this question? I can't remember, why?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I didn't mean to start a shitstorm about race, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that there were a lot of black soldiers in signal. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I was USMC and can tell you they were very few Blacks in Avionics.  In the four years I was in, I served with only one.  He was our NCOIC in HMA-369. It wasn't they weren't given an opportunity, but they flunked out of A School when they got lead aside about being black by the shit bird blacks.
View Quote

The red part is so true about a great number of things that I witnessed in the Corps.  Beyond just ethnicity but a lot of those wanting to step up and advance.  If you showed initiative and motivation the turds would bring you down if you listened to them.  Choose your career or choose your friends, most of those turds probably won't be there in the end.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#47]
There were a lot of hot chicks at the signal school on Ft Gordon.  Happy hunting for TAD Marines stationed there.  

I really didn't notice any color while I was there.  I was becoming blind to it, but all this Fergadishu, Baltimore, BML bullshit is bringing back all of the bad stuff I grew up with and thought was in the past.  I do recall one of my best friends and fellow Marines was black--damn good chess player.  The crypto instructor was black.  Another good friend who happened to be black got disappeared after smacking his old lady around.  Back in those days, admin discharges were swift.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Its been widely observed that most minorities join the military to learn skills.
A majority of whites join to serve the country, which translates to being the tip of the spear.
Generally speaking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. And cooks. Most non combat jobs. But the few black grunts I know are pretty high speed, over all ok guys.

Generally speaking.

True, during OIF there was a big drop in AAs in the Army and a slight uptick for the Navy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top