Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The paleo diet is good for you.  Thus, arfcom hates it.
View Quote

I'll stick to a balance of all things fat protein and carbs....I'm healthy as fuck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The key to losing weight is simple, you burn more than you take in and don't eat shit food... Period.

Hell, I know people in great shape who work out and still eat shit foods.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It's amazing how little most people understand about nutrition.  It's even more amazing how people, that know little about nutrition, have such a strong opinion about a diet they know even less about.  It's called the Paleo or Primal (there are slight variations between paleo and primal though) but the idea is not to exactly replicate a caveman diet.  The idea is to cut down on foods that cause inflammation in the body and eliminate processed foods.  How on earth eating lots of fruits and vegetables (all contain plenty of carbs) and lean meats could be considered a fad is beyond me.  

BTW, I'm not a couch potato at all. I train BJJ, Run 5, 8 and 10K runs and do Tough Mudder (11 mile obstacle courses) and I've been Paleo/Primal for 2 years.  I have never had any issues with energy and my performance has been much better since switching.  I also lost about 5 or six pounds.  I was already fit but eating this way just enhanced my performance and knocked off that last couple pounds.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's amazing how little most people understand about nutrition.  It's even more amazing how people, that know little about nutrition, have such a strong opinion about a diet they know even less about.  It's called the Paleo or Primal (there are slight variations between paleo and primal though) but the idea is not to exactly replicate a caveman diet.  The idea is to cut down on foods that cause inflammation in the body and eliminate processed foods.  How on earth eating lots of fruits and vegetables (all contain plenty of carbs) and lean meats could be considered a fad is beyond me.  

BTW, I'm not a couch potato at all. I train BJJ, Run 5, 8 and 10K runs and do Tough Mudder (11 mile obstacle courses) and I've been Paleo/Primal for 2 years.  I have never had any issues with energy and my performance has been much better since switching.  I also lost about 5 or six pounds. I was already fit but eating this way just enhanced my performance and knocked off that last couple pounds.
View Quote

Some of us have trouble maintaining weight though.

I need carbs mixed into my diet to help me hold weight when I am working, and gain weight during the off season.

I managed to gain 20 lbs last fall/winter, within a month of work starting I was down 10, and a month after that I was down another 5 lbs. The last 5 comes and goes week to week but I am trying to hold it. I figure if I can do the same thing again this winter maybe I will be able to stay up 10 lbs from the original next work season.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF is this "paleo" nonsense?  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Where does it say you cannot eat carbs on a Paleo diet?  I shouldn't have said "lost the last couple pounds" I should have said "it' helped me lose the last couple of pounds of fat".  My weight almost went back to the same it was before paleo but less fat.  (I'm 6'2" 176 lbs)  You can eat tons of carbs on Paleo, just not processed sugar, pasta or bread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I'll have what he's having.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with that, but the constant barrage of "paleo this" and "paleo that" is tiresome.  This is from someone that eats mostly meat, vegetables and fruit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people write a lot of books about a lot of things.

You don't have to buy anything besides food to follow paleo. Everything you could ever hope to know about Paleo is available for 100% free on the interwebs. In fact, it's one of the things that sets it apart from actual fads that require you to buy meals, meal plans, supplements etc...

I don't disagree with that, but the constant barrage of "paleo this" and "paleo that" is tiresome.  This is from someone that eats mostly meat, vegetables and fruit.

Well...people tend to get excited about things that in many cases have been literally life changing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The key to losing weight is simple, you burn more than you take in and don't eat shit food... Period.

View Quote

Yep, but the key to being healthy, and losing fat and gaining or maintaining muscle is more complicated.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"paninis" exist because people are stupid

Panino is a sandwich

Pannini are sandwiches.  The word is already plural.

panninis are sandwicheses
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But paninis?  Fuck that.  Why do they exist?

"paninis" exist because people are stupid

Panino is a sandwich

Pannini are sandwiches.  The word is already plural.

panninis are sandwicheses

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Why does paleo even exist?
View Quote

To make people on the internet angry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/13/science/for-evolving-brains-a-paleo-diet-full-of-carbs.html
Scientists have long recognized that the diets of our ancestors went
through a profound shift with the addition of meat. But in the September
issue of The Quarterly Review of Biology, researchers argue that another item added to the menu was just as important: carbohydrates,
bane of today’s paleo diet enthusiasts. In fact, the scientists
propose, by incorporating cooked starches into their diet, our ancestors
were able to fuel the evolution of our oversize brains.
View Quote

http://www.livescience.com/46836-prehistoric-tooth-plaque-diet.html
When looking for a meal, prehistoric people in Africa munched on the tuberous roots of weeds....
View Quote

Just sayin...

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No.  Eating no starches is a fad.  

Since you're alluding (ETA, because I can't use the correct word LOL) that I'm a fatass...Enjoy your fats, fatass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just like Atkin's.  Just like Crossfit.  

They're all fads and wont last.

LoL yeah, eating fresh meat and fresh vegetables is a fad diet, on it's way out I'm sure.

Enjoy your Twinkies and pasta.

No.  Eating no starches is a fad.  

Since you're alluding (ETA, because I can't use the correct word LOL) that I'm a fatass...Enjoy your fats, fatass.

Not a fatass, and I will.

I put a little something on the plate for you, but you can't read it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Is that a new PR for you?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I seem to be in a growth spurt. Dead PR up 30lbs in under 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!  Is that 365?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nice!  Is that 365?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!  Is that 365?

335. Gimme another 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!  Is that 365?

I mostly don't go for one rep max when deadlifting, but the other day I thought, "what the hell?" and put 365 on after I did my heavy set of 315, and I got it a couple times.  I think I might be able to get 385 but I'm kind of afraid to try it...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't hate other people's success. I'm a big fan of successful people.

I really don't like gimmicky marketing aimed at people that don't understand what the problem is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you hate success so much?

Because it's someone else succeeding.

I don't hate other people's success. I'm a big fan of successful people.

I really don't like gimmicky marketing aimed at people that don't understand what the problem is.

That is terrible marketing. I have bought one "Paleo" product in the 3 years I've been doing this, a cookbook. My wife bought one pouch of Paleo granola. That is the case for most of the people I know that have done the Paleo thing. Yes, there are idiots that buy anything with the word Paleo on it, but that's not the norm.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

BTW, I'm not a couch potato at all. I train BJJ, Run 5, 8 and 10K runs and do Tough Mudder (11 mile obstacle courses) and I've been Paleo/Primal for 2 years.  I have never had any issues with energy and my performance has been much better since switching.  I also lost about 5 or six pounds.  I was already fit but eating this way just enhanced my performance and knocked off that last couple pounds.
View Quote

What's this inflammation you speak of?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's immeasurable, but every soccer mom suffers from it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, there's certainly no science to back it up.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/common-food-additive-promotes-inflammatory-bowel-disease-and-obesity-mice

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21139128

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/micronutrients-health/inflammation

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

The question really is WHAT exactly causes it, or what helps to decrease it. Some blame saturated fat, others refined carbs, etc...

Damn you really got a hard on for paleo don't you?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The couple people I know who follow paleo diet are also anti-vaccine weirdos.
View Quote

I do Paleo, and I gave myself the Flu vaccine for the last 4 years.  Point is pointless.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#24]
If my SN started with Roland we could have a hat trick.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

We're at capacity for Rolands. Only 2 allowed. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck this I didn't want to be a Roland anyway.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course you didn't.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/common-food-additive-promotes-inflammatory-bowel-disease-and-obesity-mice

The question really is WHAT exactly causes it, or what helps to decrease it. Some blame saturated fat, others refined carbs, etc...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  My real problem is the deception behind it.  Most fat people aren't fat because they eat processed food.  They're fat because they eat a shit ton of processed food.  I would guess that most people would consider my diet to be pretty paleo.  

Example of my food intake today...

Breakfast--Banana and Greek yogurt

Lunch--Pork chop and a large salted cucumber

Afternoon snack--Mixed salted nuts

Dinner--Ribeye, green beans and more cucumbers(we have a lot of cucumbers right now).

Right now--Drinking bourbon.

At 1800 I lifted.  At 1900 I ran 3 sets of intervals.  Run 10 mins@8:15 pace, walk 2 mins.

I'm not against eating real food.  I'm totally against marketing this towards people that don't understand it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not really.  My real problem is the deception behind it.  Most fat people aren't fat because they eat processed food.  They're fat because they eat a shit ton of processed food.  I would guess that most people would consider my diet to be pretty paleo.  

Dinner--Ribeye, green beans and more cucumbers(we have a lot of cucumbers right now).

At 1800 I lifted.  At 1900 I ran 3 sets of intervals.  Run 10 mins@8:15 pace, walk 2 mins.

I'm not against eating real food.  I'm totally against marketing this towards people that don't understand it.

View Quote

Sooooooo....ignoring the studies I posted after your soccer mom comment huh?

Alright so you eat pretty close to paleo. You hate the marketing that doesn't actually market anything but some cookbooks.

I guess I'm at a loss. You clearly agree it's a good healthy way to eat. Putting a label on it in some way is a good thing to make it easier for people to research it (even though paleo was a bad choice in this instance)...there's no deception behind it, there's just people that disagree about the paleo moniker...which really doesn't matter anyway.

I don't really know what your problem is.

ETA- and there's plenty of studies showing that eating shitty food even in reduced amounts makes it harder to burn fat vs. the same amount of healthy food. Calorie source matters, anyone who says different doesn't know what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Alright so you eat pretty close to paleo. You hate the marketing that doesn't actually market anything but some cookbooks.

I guess I'm at a loss. You clearly agree it's a good healthy way to eat. Putting a label on it in some way is a good thing to make it easier for people to research it (even though paleo was a bad choice in this instance)...there's no deception behind it, there's just people that disagree about the paleo moniker...which really doesn't matter anyway.

ETA- and there's plenty of studies showing that eating shitty food even in reduced amounts makes it harder to burn fat vs. the same amount of healthy food. Calorie source matters, anyone who says different doesn't know what they're talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously I didn't click on and read any of those links.  I'm sure they're supportive of your argument.  

Can you honestly tell me that you don't know any people that are doing the "paleo thing" wrong because they know the very basics and are fucking it all up by committing one or two mistakes daily that destroy the entire concept?

My opinion is that we should stop calling it paleo and start promoting that people eat natural foods and minimize highly processed, carb rich foods that add a shit ton of calories that most people don't even realize are detrimental.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Obviously I didn't click on and read any of those links.  I'm sure they're supportive of your argument.  

Can you honestly tell me that you don't know any people that are doing the "paleo thing" wrong because they know the very basics and are fucking it all up by committing one or two mistakes daily that destroy the entire concept?

My opinion is that we should stop calling it paleo and start promoting that people eat natural foods and minimize highly processed, carb rich foods that add a shit ton of calories that most people don't even realize are detrimental.
View Quote

Of COURSE I know people like that. They're not the majority though. These are the people I mention in every thread about paleo that eat a pound of almond flour a day and a cup of honey.

I also mention in every thread about paleo that it's a dumb name.

So...it sounds like you have a problem with the name...(so do I) and people that "abuse" the basic principles (these are people that find loopholes, and don't do much research). I agree with these things. You should really be more clear in your disdain for the NAME rather than the way of eating itself, you know what I mean?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Of COURSE I know people like that. They're not the majority though. These are the people I mention in every thread about paleo that eat a pound of almond flour a day and a cup of honey.

So...it sounds like you have a problem with the name...(so do I) and people that "abuse" the basic principles (these are people that find loopholes, and don't do much research). I agree with these things. You should really be more clear in your disdain for the NAME rather than the way of eating itself, you know what I mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I say that I had a problem with people eating healthy?  Without going back I remember saying that people should eat shitty foods in moderation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Did I say that I had a problem with people eating healthy?  Without going back I remember saying that people should eat shitty foods in moderation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This seems like the dumbest, fad diet idea ever. Do you really think that cavemen didn't eat grains or legumes or potatoes?

I'm pretty sure they ate everything they could find. Why? Because fuck being hungry. Eat what is available. These silly fad diets are doing people more harm than good. Everyone is looking for a quick fix to being fat.

Dumbest fad idea ever...or healthy good way to eat...

Anyway...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Anyway...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This seems like the dumbest, fad diet idea ever. Do you really think that cavemen didn't eat grains or legumes or potatoes?

I'm pretty sure they ate everything they could find. Why? Because fuck being hungry. Eat what is available. These silly fad diets are doing people more harm than good. Everyone is looking for a quick fix to being fat.

Anyway...

C'mon man.....You see the difference in eating today and eating 10k yrs ago.    Availability???
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

This sort of works, thanks to the resilience of the YOUNG human body.

But the calories in/calories out equation has been disproven.  Your hormones react differently to carb calories as compared to fat or protein calories.  This is the basis for "metabolic syndrome," which is the reason why over 50 percent of American men over 50 have waist measurements over 40 inches.  This is not normal and it's not okay.  (BTW if you wear size 37 pants, your waist is at least 40 inches.)  150 calories of broccoli or olive oil is entirely different than the 150 calories in a can of pepsi.  Unless you are very active, the body will turn the Pepsi into body fat at a much higher rate than the broccoli or olive oil.

Obesity has grown exponentially since the .gov started telling us to cut out dietary fat.  Eating fat does not make you fat!  Eating sugar/grains/starches/carbs makes you fat.  Paleo is a nearly perfect remedy for the problem, and it works for lots and lots of people.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/13/science/for-evolving-brains-a-paleo-diet-full-of-carbs.html

Scientists have long recognized that the diets of our ancestors went through a profound shift with the addition of meat. But in the September issue of The Quarterly Review of Biology, researchers argue that another item added to the menu was just as important: carbohydrates, bane of today’s paleo diet enthusiasts. In fact, the scientists propose, by incorporating cooked starches into their diet, our ancestors were able to fuel the evolution of our oversize brains.

http://www.livescience.com/46836-prehistoric-tooth-plaque-diet.html

When looking for a meal, prehistoric people in Africa munched on the tuberous roots of weeds....

Just sayin...    

Yes, the NY Times is a reliable source-- especially on a totally non political subject like food, where super libs want you to eat all vegan due to cow flatulence destroying the environment.

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Something that may have gotten lost or forgotten by some of the posters here. Up until about 100 years ago, there most of the population had to split their own wood to build a fire for their meals. There wasn't much obesity back then.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

C'mon man.....You see the difference in eating today and eating 10k yrs ago.    Availability???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway...

I am 0% interested in how people ate 10,000 years ago. What I know is that there are a lot of health benefits to eating paleo despite its silly name.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's hard to make money selling books and other products if all you have to give is eat less and exercise more.
View Quote

This

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's hard to make money selling books and other products if all you have to give is eat less and exercise more.

This

Products like...meat and vegetables? LOL
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am 0% interested in how people ate 10,000 years ago. What I know is that there are a lot of health benefits to eating paleo despite its silly name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway...

Fine then...We should continue to argue about what we agree on.  It's the internet.  There's no room for anything else.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Fine then...We should continue to argue about what we agree on.  It's the internet.  There's no room for anything else.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:37:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This seems like the dumbest, fad diet idea ever.  Do you really think that cavemen didn't eat grains or legumes or potatoes?

I'm pretty sure they ate everything they could find.  Why?  Because fuck being hungry.  Eat what is available.  These silly fad diets are doing people more harm than good.  Everyone is looking for a quick fix to being fat.  

Just stop being a dumbass.
View Quote

I hate the name, and am a charter member of the Mock Paleo club, but ultimately, it's easy to stick to and it works.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

No.

Products like cookbooks and videos.

Don't pretend like this isn't about marketing.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Who invented meat anyway?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

I think Stutzcattle did.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

No.

yeah there's big money in cook books right? I'm sure paleo is just a scheme made up by the cook book lobby to gain more money and influence. There's all kinds of cook books Claiming paleo was made up to sell them is ridiculous.

And what videos? I've literally never seen a paleo video.

You can find out absolutely everything you need to know about paleo for free on the internet. You can also find more recipes than you could ever hope to have time to cook.

If it's a marketing scheme, it's a pretty shitty one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think Stutzcattle did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I think Stutzcattle did.

Well I like it so kudos to that guy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Let me give just one example of why you don't know what you're talking about.  Somewhere in the archives there's a thread that ran (I'm guessing) about 70 or 80 pages over the span of about two years, with tons of site members saying they tried it and it works.  I couldn't even guess how many people, and a lot of the results were not just losing ten pounds, we're talking about some people going off of medications.  

Nowhere in that thread is there anything for sale.   The website "MarksDailyApple" sells books, but openly says that you can find everything in the book on their website for free.  

Of course there's Paleo shit for sale- anytime something's popular people will try to cash in on it.  That doesn't mean that it's necessary.  It's not.  Ever.  

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top