Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
No I would obey my instructions.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, I would not comply.  As a juror, I am the final arbiter of facts in the case, and I have to decide that I have enough facts to make a fully informed decision.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/07/expert_jurors_must_disconnect_from_smartphones_during_trials.html

If you were a juror and were told to not look up facts about the case online, like reading about it on the local paper, using google maps to examine the crime scene or researching the defendant and victim, would you comply?

No, I would not comply.  As a juror, I am the final arbiter of facts in the case, and I have to decide that I have enough facts to make a fully informed decision.

Does that include physical evidence and statements that was suppressed.  Williams rule (prior criminal acts).  Using media stories which often get some facts wrong?

ETA:  I don't know of too many prosecutors or defense attorneys would want such research done by juries, unless they could tell them where to look, read, visit or talk to.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It would be unfair to do independent research because the parties would have no chance to rebut whatever evidence you found. I was involved in a 1* Murder case that was mistried because a juror did web research between the 1st and 2d days of deliberation.

Whatever knowledge you bring to the courtroom with you is fair game, though.
View Quote
How did they know he searched?

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would be unfair to do independent research because the parties would have no chance to rebut whatever evidence you found. I was involved in a 1* Murder case that was mistried because a juror did web research between the 1st and 2d days of deliberation.

Whatever knowledge you bring to the courtroom with you is fair game, though.

I would bet he said something that tipped another juror off and they reported him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WILL NOT COMPLY
View Quote

I was going to go with this

but after thinking a little complying might be the better option and just go with the evidence allowed in the trial.

not that I will ever get picked to be on a jury

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Can I, as a juror, ask the prosecution, defense, and witnesses questions?

If not, it's not a fair trial, it's a shit show put on by two different acting troupes.

Fuck their rules. I'm there to judge the guilt or innocence of somebody and I'll be god damned if I'll be limited by their chickenshit legal decorum.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I understand that society has the power to compel me to arrive at the courthouse, but I do not grant it my consent to 'order' me to swear an oath.  

Which means, I probably won't be sitting on any juries.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Depressing thread.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you even mistrial, bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've tried 25 cases this year, I have a feeling the jury looked shit up on at least 3 occasions

That'd sure piss me off.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/71/71cf7f8a1acd4801780ac1e889ee3dab3a9d6df5f274fd3d1cb84bda191d85b8.jpg

You mean making sure info is correct? That would piss you off?

Damn, law must not have any basis in facts if you are worried that they might think for themselves rather than blindly follow you/opposing council down a potentially fictitious road.

Holy fuck.

Do you even mistrial, bro?

Im not saying i would, I'm saying that jurors should be able to.  

Pretty important difference.  But I'm sort of one of those "if it's not obvious guilt, it's not guilty" people and all lid the shenanigans that happen on the states/judge side tend to irk me.

Independent verification would counter those issues.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Depressing thread.
View Quote

+1

Sadly not surprising though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I dunno... my general contempt for the criminal justice system arises from my past participation in it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not surprised by the  "would not comply" crowd.  It's the same old "usuals" from the cop threads.
I dunno... my general contempt for the criminal justice system arises from my past participation in it.  

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not surprised by the  "would not comply" crowd.  It's the same old "usuals" from the cop threads.

This.
IT'S NICKEL AND DIME, ARTHUR, NICKEL AND DIME!

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top