Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its not like the army has any real knowledge of fixed wing at all.

when it comes to flying fixed wing, navy has us beat.
when it comes to strategic lift, navy has us beat.
when it comes to getting civilians to do strategic missions, navy has us beat.

If its a question of the army owning everything that supports land operations, well, that would be an interesting rabbit hole to run through.
View Quote

Yet you would put the C-130s in the Army and, based on previous threads, do it with a fraction of the people.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yet you would put the C-130s in the Army and, based on previous threads, do it with a fraction of the people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
its not like the army has any real knowledge of fixed wing at all.

when it comes to flying fixed wing, navy has us beat.
when it comes to strategic lift, navy has us beat.
when it comes to getting civilians to do strategic missions, navy has us beat.

If its a question of the army owning everything that supports land operations, well, that would be an interesting rabbit hole to run through.

sure.

no knowledge is better than AF knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Probably right.  It's some place tropical, I doubt there are many palm trees in East Europe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like Pearl Harbor, have we learned nothing in 60 years about how to disperse our aircraft ? It's not like we can build more !

Pretty sure that's the CONUS take off point, not the field in Europe.

Probably right.  It's some place tropical, I doubt there are many palm trees in East Europe.

Somewhere CONUS.  22"s going to PACAF and USAFE is nothing new.  Been doing that since 09.  SQ out of Langley came to PACAF somewhere between 4 and 6 times in a 14 month period.  Pilots were all, "You enjoy that flight in or what, Dave?" the first time or 2 over.  By the 3rd trip they were all, "I'm so fucking sick of going back and forth to come out here."

Only difference now is their 'purpose' is labeled as other than training.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
To address both of your points.  Its not like the current manning at the squadron and wing level wouldn't go with the airframes.

the keypoint is that the mission of strategic lift would belong to the navy.  

when the jopesters do whatever the fuck it is that they do, the navy would own the means to conduct inter theater lift.

getting a-b.  its stupid that transcom is an AF command when 90% of our shit moves by sea.
so you gotta move x, y, and z into theater and in a certain order and at a certain speed.

whether by sea or ship is irrelevant.  Considering how much we spend on contracted air lift AFTER buying 200 C17s obviously something is FUBARd in strat airlift.

the c-130 is not longer a strat airlifter.  it certainly isn't considered one when it comes to J-planning.

Its an intra-theater asset.  movement of assets intra-theater is an army mission.  whether by truck, fixed or rotary is up to the loggies.  only now it isn't.  so high priority shit gets moved by rotatry wing (which is more expensive) and leaves less availability for rotary for real missions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Somewhere CONUS.  22"s going to PACAF and USAFE is nothing new.  Been doing that since 09.  SQ out of Langley came to PACAF somewhere between 4 and 6 times in a 14 month period.  Pilots were all, "You enjoy that flight in or what, Dave?" the first time or 2 over.  By the 3rd trip they were all, "I'm so fucking sick of going back and forth to come out here."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like Pearl Harbor, have we learned nothing in 60 years about how to disperse our aircraft ? It's not like we can build more !

next door neighbor in alaska was a -22 pilot.  he regaled me with thrilling tales of flying figure 8s around KC-10s from Anchorage to Japan.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And yet, Sylvan wants to had that airlift mission to the Navy...  Makes perfect sense
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Hump was an air logistics bridge to forces already in theater. It was tremendously resource intensive, designed to flank Chaing politically as it was to fight the Japanese.  Additionally,  the vast majority of the institutional knowledge to conduct the operation was civilian, not military.

And yet, Sylvan wants to had that airlift mission to the Navy...  Makes perfect sense

Its not exactly like the Navy hasn't run transport category jet aircraft or C-130s, as has the USMC, and the Army's intra-theater airlift was the lift of choice in Iraq.

We're not putting the man on the moon. There is scale involved, I grant. I'd personally put the vast majority of it in the ANG, personally, because its a highly useful DSCA asset.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Or, we could just bring back SAC, TAC, and MAC like it used to be when things worked the way they were supposed to, instead of attempting to reinvent the wheel by eliminating or radically realigning an entire service from DoD (as if
Congress would ever allow such a thing).

ETA:  As for lack of operational support of the Army for intratheather lift, it would be far easier to fire those up and down the chain of command to fix *that* problem rather than the changes proposed in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because he is not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's correct?  What's the face for?

Because he is not.

I mean how could we argue with you, with all your facts and stuff...
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unlike Pearl Harbor we actually pay attention to what's on the radar now days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike Pearl Harbor we actually pay attention to what's on the radar now days.

Are you sure?
(I know they were on radar but there were no planes scrambled and those jets could have easily caused some issues.)oops

How about Sonar?

Oops again
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
those who neglect their nuclear mission will plow for those who don't.

you fail to think strategically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But didn't win anything, either.

so why are we still spending so much money on them?

institutional knowledge?

Because those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.  

those who neglect their nuclear mission will plow for those who don't.

you fail to think strategically.
I'm all for the nuclear mission.  AF can handle both just like the navy.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

next door neighbor in alaska was a -22 pilot.  he regaled me with thrilling tales of flying figure 8s around KC-10s from Anchorage to Japan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea.  Army ran our chow hall on the AB out there.  Everyone ate there.  Air Wingers, patriot operators, whatever the Navy personnel did, and then obviously AF.

All the 22 pilots would sit at a long table yamming all loud and airing out how cool they were.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Why? Just offer up some jobs or a wage a hashtag war

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he is not.

The argument that it cannot be done is nonsensical.  Explain to me why it would take "years".
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The argument that it cannot be done is nonsensical.  Explain to me why it would take "years".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he is not.

Because it would. Years is plural for year. It = more than 1.

So you actually think that if you were president, defsec, whatever, that you could have an all new f22 built within 12 months from now, given that assembly, tooling and long lead parts aren't even on order as of 5 seconds ago? Nevermind the staffing and expertise also is no longer in place and would need to be hired/transferred trained/retrained and onboarded. 24 months would be nothing short of amazing, a year? You're insane.

And you say that what I'm saying is nonsensical? You sir, have no idea what you're talking about, if you actually think that's possible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a bit out of the loop. I completely unplugged from the internet, and from TV, for a few months... What's going on with Russia now?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a bit out of the loop. I completely unplugged from the internet, and from TV, for a few months... What's going on with Russia now?
View Quote

www.google.com
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
C17s and tankers go to the navy and become part of military sealift command operated with the same manning model as the USNS fleet.
View Quote

If USNS is your model, there is even less reason to move it to the Navy.  All of the operators and maintainers are civilian.  Army has a huge logistics branch who could handle operational scheduling.  Shoot, you could hook your buddy Screech up with a good J - O - B
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he is not.

This is like you trying to tell your mechanic that it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to rebuild the car's engine. You are wrong because it will take longer than you think it will. Without actually spending the $$$ and doing it, I don't know how we prove that to you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If USNS is your model, there is even less reason to move it to the Navy.  All of the operators and maintainers are civilian.  Army has a huge logistics branch who could handle operational scheduling.  Shoot, you could hook your buddy Screech up with a good J - O - B
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
C17s and tankers go to the navy and become part of military sealift command operated with the same manning model as the USNS fleet.

I thought we were buddies too

Anyway, did someone say job?

I actually pitched GO/COing the KC-10 fleet to some folks at a large freight operator.

ETA: DOTMLPFing it out, the authorities and policy is already about 70% complete.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So you actually think that if you were president, defsec, whatever, that you could have an all new f22 built within 12 months from now, given that assembly, tooling and long lead parts aren't even on order as of 5 seconds ago? Nevermind the staffing and expertise also is no longer in place and would need to be hired/transferred trained/retrained and onboarded. 24 months would be nothing short of amazing, a year? You're insane.

And you say that what I'm saying is nonsensical? You sir, have no idea what you're talking about, if you actually think that's possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he is not.

Other than spout bullshit...you can't  If you actually worked in manufacturing or understood the defense industrial base you would realize how it could be done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thats either Tyndall or Eglin AFB.
View Quote

Maybe, but its not the "normal" parking ramp. Note the 'ad hoc" ECP.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do they get rid of the drop tanks after they ferry them across the ocean to Europe? Those tanks make them less stealthy, right?

Sorry if that's a stupid question. Most of my questions about military operations tend to be
View Quote

Usually and Yes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

www.google.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.google.com

They're invading google? Good to know.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not aware of any rule that precludes me from having buddies in common with Sylvan.  Do you think that I would give my only set of flight gloves to a non-buddy?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Going to disagree with you on this one... creating more of the most advanced jet in the world, while all the tooling, assembly shops, supply chain and engineers have all been moved or retired, it's not a flip of a switch.

and since when were we in a position to write blank checks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Write lockmart a blank check with a deadline and I bet they could start punching out new F22s in short order.  I've been in the blank check get it done military procurement manufacturing world, when it has to happen, it happens.  

Going to disagree with you on this one... creating more of the most advanced jet in the world, while all the tooling, assembly shops, supply chain and engineers have all been moved or retired, it's not a flip of a switch.

I live nearby the Rocketdyne and Pratt & Whitney plants where they built the F-1 engines to include many other things.  All empty parking lots now except for some activity at Rocketdyne.  There are still remnants of all of the subcontractors in the area; XYZ aerospace etc.  Most of them are empty now.  I imagine to restart an entire production of F-22s not only would you have to rebuild the entire assembly line, order all of the raw materials but all of the subcontractors would need to be started as well.  They would need to recruit, rehire, relocate and retrain all the engineers, machinists, technicians etc. Sure it could be done but I imagine it would be a huge undertaking.  The good news is JOBS!!!      

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I live nearby the Rocketdyne and Pratt & Whitney plants where they built the F-1 engines to include many other things.  All empty parking lots now except for some activity at Rocketdyne.  There are still remnants of all of the subcontractors in the area; XYZ aerospace etc.  Most of them are empty now.  I imagine to restart an entire production of F-22s not only would you have to rebuild the entire assembly line, order all of the raw materials but all of the subcontractors would need to be started as well.  They would need to recruit, rehire, relocate and retrain all the engineers, machinists, technicians etc. Sure it could be done but I imagine it would be a huge undertaking.  The good news is JOBS!!!        
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Write lockmart a blank check with a deadline and I bet they could start punching out new F22s in short order.  I've been in the blank check get it done military procurement manufacturing world, when it has to happen, it happens.  

It would not be cheap, but it could be done...in a WW type situation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Point of order.  You don't believe in an manless AF.  You believe in a manned air force under a different organizational structure.

As for the USNS fleet model, to what extent do the civilian operated ships work combat operations?  For example the C-17 does combat airdrops.  How would that work in your model?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AF stops flying all manned aircraft.
Navy gets all manned tacair.
Army gets C130s and AFSOC assets.
AF controls space, strat cyber and nuclear mission.  SLBMs to be manned by sailors but with some AF officers assigned like the gator navy handles marines.  AF mission conducted via ships.

maintain a small capability of manned inter-continental bombers for bunker busting and occassional shit stirring.

I'd say the AF should get that, but it would end with 3000 B3 Bombers doing air sovereignty missions.

air sovereignty to be done by naval aviators as a shore tour.

I, like Hap Arnold, believe in the manless AF.

Point of order.  You don't believe in an manless AF.  You believe in a manned air force under a different organizational structure.

As for the USNS fleet model, to what extent do the civilian operated ships work combat operations?  For example the C-17 does combat airdrops.  How would that work in your model?

USNS conduct underway replenishments and provide a variety of other services in the same areas as US Navy ships do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#29]
On a lighter note:
Quoted:

AF stops flying all manned aircraft.
Navy gets all manned tacair.
Army gets C130s and AFSOC assets.
AF controls space, strat cyber and nuclear mission.  SLBMs to be manned by sailors but with some AF officers assigned like the gator navy handles marines.  AF mission conducted via ships.

maintain a small capability of manned inter-continental bombers for bunker busting and occassional shit stirring.

I'd say the AF should get that, but it would end with 3000 B3 Bombers doing air sovereignty missions.

air sovereignty to be done by naval aviators as a shore tour.

I, like Hap Arnold, believe in the manless AF.
View Quote

Kinda hard on the sailors, aren't you?

Along the same lines I've wondered what you'd do if given the keys to the Air Defense Artillery branch, in terms of doctrine and equipment and such.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The long pole in the tent would be the myriad sub-contractors and the more exotic materials (Titanium).
A lot of the vendors who made one-of-a-kind things like valves, switches, pumps, etc., have gone out of business or moved on to other things.
The more exotic structural members would require materials and tooling that are not readily available.

It would take years to get a jet out the door.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would take a decade and a new development effort to build a new F22.  You would be in essence starting  from scratch.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It would take a decade and a new development effort to build a new F22.  You would be in essence starting  from scratch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

stick to what you know.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The long pole in the tent would be the myriad sub-contractors and the more exotic materials (Titanium).
A lot of the vendors who made one-of-a-kind things like valves, switches, pumps, etc., have gone out of business or moved on to other things.
The more exotic structural members would require materials and tooling that are not readily available.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. WW3 would be over well before a single new F-22 rolled off the production line.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

stick to what you know.
View Quote

More than you, obviously.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

stick to what you know.

Obviously
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Obviously
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

stick to what you know.

Obviously

I don't know about a decade, but it would be pretty well into it before the first one went to a unit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't know where they were moved from but hopefully we still can get some in Japan if needed.
View Quote

Scared things about to pop off in the Pacific?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't know about a decade, but it would be pretty well into it before the first one went to a unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

stick to what you know.

Obviously

Going to stick with APG-77 and IFDL?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the objective was to get planes flying one would surely have to have a COA decision on whether it was faster/more appropriate to build the existing baseline or get still in production newer models and getting them integrated and tested.

So....maybe.   ?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed.

....But it still means that you are literally 'World Police' right now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
America - World Police.

America:  Inherited the security of the British Empire post WWII, but never asked for, planned for, or anticipated this dynamic.

Agreed.

....But it still means that you are literally 'World Police' right now.  

Does that make Canada our deputy or side kick or something? I mean we bring you all along for the ride usually.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If the objective was to get planes flying one would surely have to have a COA decision on whether it was faster/more appropriate to build the existing baseline or get still in production newer models and getting them integrated and tested.

So....maybe.   ?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So....maybe.   ?  

No way you'd get a Joint Interoperability pass on IFDL today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

stick to what you know.

Obviously

We all know they wouldn't.  There would be massive changes that would be required, because the world the new F22 would fly in would be different than the world that was anticipated in the early 80s.

You might build a similar airframe, which probably wouldn't be that hard, but the avionics would be completely different.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We all know they wouldn't.  There would be massive changes that would be required, because the world the new F22 would fly in would be different than the world that was anticipated in the early 80s.

You might build a similar airframe, which probably wouldn't be that hard, but the avionics would be completely different.
View Quote

You might get away with APG-77v1 which has improvements from the F-35's APG-81 included.  IIRC, the Raptor was supposed to also,have flanking PESAs to widen its radar FOV, but the USAF never funded that.

Either way, IFDL would be gone and you'd have to integrate MADL (preferably) or MIDS onto the airframe
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So....maybe.   ?  

As an already accredited system as long as they built more of the same baseline they would also be accredited.

But as Josh said they would be B models, which would slow down the process and make a decade an aggressive goal.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Other than spout bullshit...you can't  If you actually worked in manufacturing or understood the defense industrial base you would realize how it could be done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've clearly made some incorrect assumptions on my background, and judging by the things you're saying, you are clearly in no position of experience or knowledge on such matters. But it's late and clearly everyone in this thread disagreeing with you seems to matter not, so I give up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#47]
At least we don't do something stupid like park 5 of our east coast carriers plus a bunch of other ships together at the same time.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or the Abrams, or the Bradly, or....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We could do with fewer F-35s and save a boatload of money.

They said the same thing about F-22s

Or the Abrams, or the Bradly, or....

Don't we have roughly 5000 =/- Abrams in inventory?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Another thread derailed by Sylvan.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You've clearly made some incorrect assumptions on my background, and judging by the things you're saying, you are clearly in no position of experience or knowledge on such matters. But it's late and clearly everyone in this thread disagreeing with you seems to matter not, so I give up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL !

LoL!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top