Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
An acquaintance of my GF won a CRX in a raffle back in December.  When we started dating in March, I always remarked on how this certain Honda in her apartment complex looked like a freaking time machine.   Turns out it was completely restored before being given away: new paint, new seats, headliner, carpet, etc.  I sat in the car months ago(it was unlocked the whole time) and was blown away at the interior and overall condition. I know nothing about the drivetrain of the car, except that whatever is wrong, I will fix it.  

The girl is 100% clueless about the car, doesn't need it, and needs some money. The car has been sitting since February, collecting dust.  I have not tried to turn the car over, jump it or anything.  She just called and asked my GF if I was still interested in the car and she asked for $300 to help with bills.  The car is worth more than that, but I'm in no place to be extremely charitable so I offered her $100 more than she needed.

My bet is bad battery, or fuel pump, or something small.  She couldn't even describe to me the circumstances surrounding the car's failure.  For all I know, she doesn't know how to drive a stick.  

Anyway I am picking it up tomorrow afternoon, and will provide pics.  I will use it as a grocery getter to save gas, and I have never been so excited about purchasing a Honda lol.

So GD, what do you think is wrong with it?

It looks like this except black/grey with red stripe:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/galleries/2010/autos/1006/gallery.top_mpg_since_1984/images/2_1986_honda_civic_crx_hf2.jpg

View Quote

Who gives a shit what is wrong with it, toss everything in the engine bay into a trash can, and swap in a B16, and then flip it for 5k.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
CRX was a great car, Honda has the opportunity to make the current CRZ into a CRX equivalent but they seem to be fucking it up, they should sell 2 versions of the CRZ, A high HP rocket & a very high fuel eco (I can see such a small hybrid getting 70mpg) version, both would sell faster than they could build them, but naturally Honda screwed the pooch & builds one version only that is neither Fast or fuel efficient (for it's size) & They wonder why no one is buying them!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CRX was a great car, Honda has the opportunity to make the current CRZ into a CRX equivalent but they seem to be fucking it up, they should sell 2 versions of the CRZ, A high HP rocket & a very high fuel eco (I can see such a small hybrid getting 70mpg) version, both would sell faster than they could build them, but naturally Honda screwed the pooch & builds one version only that is neither Fast or fuel efficient (for it's size) & They wonder why no one is buying them!
View Quote

If Honda put the Type R engine into the CRZ, nobody would buy the Civic Type R, which is fine, because the Type R is also stricken with "4 door-itus".
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If Honda put the Type R engine into the CRZ, nobody would buy the Civic Type R, which is fine, because the Type R is also stricken with "4 door-itus".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I want a decent looking high mpg commuter that I can drive to work every day & not feel like I'm driving in a vagina (in a prius)
The tiny 2 Seat CRZ hybrid should get 60+ mpg, not the lame 40 it gets now.The current CRZ offers neither performance or high mpg, it's a waste of space in Honda's lineup!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Friend of mine got paid to take one of those years ago.

His coworker's son had it, couldn't start it. Coworker bought a battery and it started first try. Told my friend he'd sell it for the price of the battery($60 at the time). Friend had just put an aftermarket stereo in his Monte Carlo and was planning on tossing the original. Coworker said he'd trade him the CRX and $50 for the factory stereo, so he got rid of his garbage and got a car plus cash. Car had 100,000 plus on it, he took it to 210,000 before rust got ahold of it. HE junked the car and still got $75 out of it.

He wants another one, I'd buy one too. Fun cars.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
shift solenoids for sure if automatic trans
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Waiting on the updates, is it running yet? Got the urge to search for one as project car now. Unless of course the op wants to double his money, then I'll be down with a trailer.

I don't recall the mileage I got with mine as I was too busy winding it out on the back roads and autobahn in Germany. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 50 MPG's though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread really makes me want to get another one. I haven't stopped thinking about mine since I first read this. One of my girlfriends at the time had blood coming out of her ear because the car was so loud. good times. I wish I had some pictures of that thing. I probably had $15,000 in that car. But this was 2004 or 5 so car shit was more expensive then.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Waiting on the updates, is it running yet? Got the urge to search for one as project car now. Unless of course the op wants to double his money, then I'll be down with a trailer.

I don't recall the mileage I got with mine as I was too busy winding it out on the back roads and autobahn in Germany. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 50 MPG's though.
View Quote

Starting to think this is a safe thread. Prove us wrong OP.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Si versions used to be hellatious little grocery-getters.
View Quote

They were fun,I had a black one that had the windows left open during a huge rainstorm. A new ecu and other junkyard parts and it was good to go.

Four guys could pick the thing up easily and it was fast for what it was,sold it to a kid when the first F&F movie came out and more then made up for all the money that I put into it

Saw the kid driving it a few months later and he had a body kit and neons and other shit on it, heard he wrapped it around a tree
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
New battery and it will drive away.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:23:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It will be badged as a CRX Si.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do I tell if its an SI?

Anyone can buy the badges.

It's an Si if it has a sunroof.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And fuel injected.

I sold them new.
*sigh*

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

90-91 SI has disk brake as well.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Contrary to the manual,it WILL drop out the bottom. It's a PITA sure but still easier.

88-91s are now legitimate collectables. An exceptional Barbados Yellow Si can fetch almost original MSRP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had an 89 si. It was a very fun car. I remember changing an alternator in it involved taking half the front end apart in my driveway in a MN March. I sold it not long after that.

Nice score though. I'm a bit jealous.

Contrary to the manual,it WILL drop out the bottom. It's a PITA sure but still easier.

88-91s are now legitimate collectables. An exceptional Barbados Yellow Si can fetch almost original MSRP.

I remember somebody told me that at the time but I couldn't get get through.
Mine was yellow but not quite exceptional. This was 13 years ago so it's probably rusted into dust by now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How dare you!!!

At the last minute, I started getting butterflies in my stomach thinking the deal would fall through. Her phone was going straight to VM when we were supposed to meet, but she had given me her Apt. # and said she would be home. Anyway she answered, I remembered her from youth groups, we walked out to the car, she signed my BOS and handed me the keys happily. She was ecstatic about the money and I had to hold a poker face, but if the next few months of business are good, I think I'll "help" her a little more.

1985 CRX SI 202k miles

This is after wash and wax. Changed the oil, checked out the suspension, I think it will need tire rod ends, control arm bushings, and shocks to be perfect. Added coolant, and checked all the lights. It runs perfectly now.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:32:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what happened, drove it for a total of 4 hours today.

And I am in love and I am keeping it!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#20]
looks nice, those get great mileage and are fun
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, heck of a deal.  Those were seriously fun cars.  One of my best friends in college in the eighties had one that looked the same, a black '85 SI.  She used to carry her yellow lab and her Newfoundland around in it which was pretty funny to see.  She also ran it in the local SCCA races.  Another friend had the HF model that she drove for from when we were seniors in high school until after we graduated college; I think it had over 300,000 miles on it before she bought a larger car.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#22]
HFS, that's beautiful!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:07:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to find a MKII VW jetta GLX Like that

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow, heck or a deal.  Those were seriously fun cars.  One of my best friends in college in the eighties had one that looked the same, a black '85 SI.  She used to carry her yellow lab and her Newfoundland around in it which was pretty funny to see.  She also ran it in the local SCCA races.  Another friend had the HF model that she drove for from when we were seniors in high school until after we graduated college; I think it had over 300,000 miles on it before she bought a larger car.
View Quote

That's awesome, I bet it would have gone to 400 K no problem!  There seriously is nothing to this car! It's great.  It's like a newer, sportier version of my old Super Beetle.  I could see myself going out of control with this car: cage, AWD from a CRV, Turbo'd LS lol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#25]
That car is worth some money.  Nice car OP.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That car is worth some money.  Nice car OP.  
View Quote
That is one nice old Honda..brings back memories . You stole it. If memory serves me correctly the front fenders on them are plastic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Awesome! A $400 running Si can't be beat.

If you haven't found it yet,Hondatech is like the Arf of Hondas.

I really wish Honda would build a fantastic,simple,fun car again. Sorry,the Fit isn't it and the CR-Z missed by a mile. You did really well with this. It will be freakin sweet with refreshed suspension.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:10:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice.  

Very very jelly
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Congrats, OP.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#30]
You paid $400? I'll give you $550 CASH right now, and I'll come pick it up too, if you provide air fair. PM me...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I really wish Honda would build a fantastic,simple,fun car again. Sorry,the Fit isn't it and the CR-Z missed by a mile. You did really well with this. It will be freakin sweet with refreshed suspension.

View Quote
I like my Fit..it just needs another 30 HP.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You paid $400? I'll give you $550 CASH right now, and I'll come pick it up too, if you provide air fair. PM me...
View Quote
I'll bump it to 600... lol

The OP got a deal on that one!

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How dare you!!!

At the last minute, I started getting butterflies in my stomach thinking the deal would fall through. Her phone was going straight to VM when we were supposed to meet, but she had given me her Apt. # and said she would be home. Anyway she answered, I remembered her from youth groups, we walked out to the car, she signed my BOS and handed me the keys happily. She was ecstatic about the money and I had to hold a poker face, but if the next few months of business are good, I think I'll "help" her a little more.

1985 CRX SI 202k miles

This is after wash and wax. Changed the oil, checked out the suspension, I think it will need tire rod ends, control arm bushings, and shocks to be perfect. Added coolant, and checked all the lights. It runs perfectly now.
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174241_zpswkoigkxz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174241_zpswkoigkxz.jpg</a><a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174100_zpsq43kp1iv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174100_zpsq43kp1iv.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174051_zpslxoiy5pr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174051_zpslxoiy5pr.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174039_zpsuskdjs5s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174039_zpsuskdjs5s.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174030_zpsrscezxko.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174030_zpsrscezxko.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165218_zpsmjf2hsnw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165218_zpsmjf2hsnw.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165214_zps91f6lm1a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165214_zps91f6lm1a.jpg</a><a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165209_zpsgbooroms.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165209_zpsgbooroms.jpg</a>

Click for video

<a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150826_010915_zpsomefpx1s.mp4" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/th_20150826_010915_zpsomefpx1s.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How dare you!!!

1985 CRX SI 202k miles

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174241_zpswkoigkxz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174241_zpswkoigkxz.jpg</a><a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174100_zpsq43kp1iv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174100_zpsq43kp1iv.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174051_zpslxoiy5pr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174051_zpslxoiy5pr.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174039_zpsuskdjs5s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174039_zpsuskdjs5s.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174030_zpsrscezxko.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_174030_zpsrscezxko.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165218_zpsmjf2hsnw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165218_zpsmjf2hsnw.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165214_zps91f6lm1a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165214_zps91f6lm1a.jpg</a><a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/grey50beast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165209_zpsgbooroms.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_165209_zpsgbooroms.jpg</a>

Click for video

<a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/20150826_010915_zpsomefpx1s.mp4" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/grey50beast/Mobile%20Uploads/th_20150826_010915_zpsomefpx1s.jpg</a>

Looks great too!   Score!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How dare you!!!

1985 CRX SI 202k miles

Click for video

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How dare you!!!

1985 CRX SI 202k miles

Click for video

INCREDIBLE! I've got wood looking at that car thinking about how awesome it was to have a CRX Si. Me and the wife had great times bombing around Germany and the rest of Europe from 85 until I sold it in 88.

Way to pull through with the pics. I already did an unlimited search last night without any distance modifiers and only pulled up 7 listings using Autotrader.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice score OP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:21:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Holy shit that thing is clean!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I wonder if she thought the raffle was for a CRV and when this thing was awarded just went "oh...yeah..."?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I've got a thing for Hondas and the CRX was one of my favorite models.  You got a hell of a deal.  That is sweet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Damn. You did extremely well OP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I want one :(. But finding one that's not a riced out pile of crap is next to impossible. If I ever do though or a nice geo metro, I'll start a new max fuel mileage daily driver project lol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Dang, that is an awesome score!  I'd keep it too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Fuck that's nice!  I had an 87 and loved that damned thing.  Fun little car!  All the normal maintenance was super easy (minus reaching the oil filter).  Shit, you can do the valve adjustment in about 30 minutes.

The fucktards built the seatbelts into the doors on the 2nd gen.  You were supposed to climb in and out without unclipping the belt.  Stupidest idea ever.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fuck that's nice!  I had an 87 and loved that damned thing.  Fun little car!  All the normal maintenance was super easy (minus reaching the oil filter).  Shit, you can do the valve adjustment in about 30 minutes.  

The fucktards built the seatbelts into the doors on the 2nd gen.  You were supposed to climb in and out without unclipping the belt.  Stupidest idea ever.

View Quote

I remember those!

I am a very blessed man. I am going to take it for a quick jaunt this AM before I start working. Here is a fixed video of 0-60. It's not fast but she's smooth.

click for video
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wonder if she thought the raffle was for a CRV and when this thing was awarded just went "oh...yeah..."?

View Quote

Maybe. She has another beater Honda and a 50cc scooter she uses to get around. I think it was like "Why not for $5" or whatever and when she won, she was like "huh, neat". Lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I've always liked those cars.  A coworker bought one a few years back to hop up.  Crazy little cars.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think I had a honda tech acct back when I was a teen into 5.0 Mustangs, just for trolling. Now I have a damn Honda haha.

I grew up building and tweaking cars, and I had a few buddies into rice burners, so I can talk the talk to a certain extent. I remember a buddy's Integra, with a Turbo GSR and AWD from a CRV. That thing was freaking cool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn nice find.

Ill take it for $401
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had to have either an airbag or automatic seatbelts. The former option would have been too expensive.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#50]
I had a 1990 (>) CRX Si.

Loved that car.  Nothing else has come close for both fun and fuel economy.  

I used to drive it to the Hun Farm.  Loaded with gear, ammo, booze ...  I averaged 75mph on the 300 mile trip.  This includes the fact that I had to get through Dallas traffic.

There were many stretches where I just cruised at 100 mph.  Factory top speed was 112 (115?).  One cool November morning I tried to hit top speed, speedo indicated 120.  No mods, just the right day, cold calm air, flat ground.

It seemed to get better gas mileage at higher speeds.

Miss that little silver bullet.

TRG
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top