Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
showing that empty breakout and the missing sub section is like dangling a steak in front of a dog.  JUST SHOW US THE SUB MAN!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alphawingnut:
showing that empty breakout and the missing sub section is like dangling a steak in front of a dog.  JUST SHOW US THE SUB MAN!
View Quote

That is going to be massive, I hope the recipients are appreciative.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By alphawingnut:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#4]
Update 2/5.2

Ok, it's not exactly the sub pens in Lorient, France, but it's looking pretty crowded outside my Art rooms.

All we had time for today was to get the stern out the door and next to the bow.  Monday we should get some shots of it all together for a little bit while we match paint.

I know its a bit of a let down not to see it together. ...trust me...  we were salivating at slapping it together, but there would be no room for students in the hallway.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I had you as my teacher when I was in school!

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been following this thread for a while.  I just have to say that the paint job is amazing.  
The rust stains and the shading of the gray make it look so realistic.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ohboyohboyohboyohboy, it's getting so close and it looks so damned good!  Have you figured out how you're going to get it to the state art competition yet?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#9]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
Ohboyohboyohboyohboy, it's getting so close and it looks so damned good!  Have you figured out how you're going to get it to the state art competition yet?  
View Quote

I sooooooooooooo want to take it to Casper, WY in April and show it off, but it just isn't realistic.  We'd need a semi tractor to get it there, as wide and tall as the hangers are.  Even then, it might be took short.  

The districts enclosed trailer just isn't big enough.  

I've accepted that.  It's jot that big of deal, it just would have been neat to show it off.  Honestly though, arfcom will have thousands and thousands of more views than it would ever get at the state art show.  

I'm hoping maybe the Billings tv stations run a story on it, like they did with the stagcoach.  We will see.  I emailed  the local paper today with our progress.  A former student has been very good to me with stories about the projects.  I may pass the pictures on to the stations later when it's hung.

I'll be happy to see it hanging with the propellers spinning and the sound tracks playing.

That will be epic.  Can't wait.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
First, it has made some great progress and looks amazing! Next, several pages back you were talking about forming an aircraft canopy. I have a documentary I really like about the Horton 229 and about Northrop's model gurus building one to test out on their radar range. During the video they were using a mold to form heated acrylic panels for the canopy and apparently it is an absolute bastard to pull off.
That being said, if you decide to build an F-86 for your next project you can maybe take some ideas from these guys with regards to construction methods.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqgfjXaJxV8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I missed this thread when it started and just jumped to page 37 to see the pictures.  I will need to spend an evening reading this whole thing.

Just based upon page 37, You are doing awesome sir!  
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Could you make shorter A-frames? There's got to be an arfcommer local to you with a trailer that would be willing to haul this thing to the show.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:13:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#13]
Originally Posted By lostman518:
Could you make shorter A-frames? There's got to be an arfcommer local to you with a trailer that would be willing to haul this thing to the show.
View Quote

As cool as it would be.......  

The kids and I have accepted it.  They more than I.  

It's just too impractical, and something is bound to get ruined trying to get it down there....over a 4.5 hr road trip.  The road is rough.  It'd shake the thing to pieces.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks really good!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By guns762:

I sooooooooooooo want to take it to Casper, WY in April and show it off, but it just isn't realistic.  We'd need a semi tractor to get it there, as wide and tall as the hangers are.  Even then, it might be took short.  

I've accepted that.  It's jot that big of deal, it just would have been neat to show it off.  Honestly though, arfcom will have thousands and thousands of more views than it would ever get at the state art show.  

I'm hoping maybe the Billings tv stations run a story on it, like they did with the stagcoach.  We will see.  I emailed  the local paper today with our progress.  A former student has been very good to me with stories about the projects.  I may pass the pictures on to the stations later when it's hung.

I'll be happy to see it hanging with the propellers spinning and the sound tracks playing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Maybe you could get someone to take some good high quality pictures of it, and/or produce a high quality video of it.  Then you could take a computer hooked to a big TV to State, and make it one of your exhibits.  It might not be judge-able for a ribbon, but it sure would make a hell of a statement!

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe you could get someone to take some good high quality pictures of it, and/or produce a high quality video of it.  Then you could take a computer hooked to a big TV to State, and make it one of your exhibits.  It might not be judge-able for a ribbon, but it sure would make a hell of a statement!

View All Quotes

We've done a display with photos of progress for each of the big projects over the last few years.  They always get a ribbon, but it's not the same as seeing these things in person.  

When we got the two sections out next to each other today, we started fist bumping eachother.......it was just too cool, to think what we had created.  Just epic.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Simply the definition of awesome.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#18]

We've done a display with photos of progress for each of the big projects over the last few years.  They always get a ribbon, but it's not the same as seeing these things in person.  

When we got the two sections out next to each other today, we started fist bumping eachother.......it was just too cool, to think what we had created.  Just epic.  
View All Quotes

You're gonna need a bigger TV for this one!  

Just a suggestion, but you should probably invite the custodian to be in a few of the pictures since he has been so supportive this year.  It would probably pay big dividends in the future...

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Just a suggestion, but you should probably invite the custodian to be in a few of the pictures since he has been so supportive this year.  It would probably pay big dividends in the future...

View Quote

That's a very good idea.  I'll make sure to get him in some of the shots.  

He's gone above and beyond to get all the wiring of the solar panels done.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:22:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlvinYork] [#20]
so, what are you going to use for the Christening/launching? I presume that the Board would object to a bottle of champagne.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By AlvinYork:

so, what are you going to use for the Christening/launching? I presume that the Board would object to a bottle of champagne.
View Quote
Riesling, of course!

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I've kind of forgotten about that.

I'll have to see about that stage prop bottle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarbineDad] [#23]

View All Quotes

ETA:  The trick on real ones is 1) they score the hell out of the glass so it breaks easily and 2)  they install sometime hard and sharp to break it one.

Although apple cider on poster board may not be a good idea
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CarbineDad:

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/14753150?wid=480&hei=480

ETA:  The trick on real ones is 1) they score the hell out of the glass so it breaks easily and 2)  they install sometime hard and sharp to break it one.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarbineDad:

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/14753150?wid=480&hei=480

Actually a stage bottle is  a pretty good idea. A stage bottle can be filled with confetti which in a pinch looks kinda, sorta, like a spray of champagne.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:19:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#25]
Actually a stage bottle is  a pretty good idea. A stage bottle can be filled with confetti which in a pinch looks kinda, sorta, like a spray of champagne.
View Quote

Dilbert_556 and his wife generously paid to have one shipped to us, so we will all find out how it works.

The confetti idea is excellent.   That will be the way we go with it.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Dilbert_556 and his wife generously paid to have one shipped to us, so we will all find out how it works.

View All Quotes

The janitor will be thrilled.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlvinYork] [#27]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

View All Quotes

that's what teenagers are for, cleaning up after yourself builds character..........

I just hope that Guns puts a video of it on Youtube to share it with us...........hint,hint.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#28]

that's what teenagers are for, cleaning up after yourself builds character..........

I just hope that Guns puts a video of it on Youtube to share it with us...........hint,hint.
View All Quotes

That was the plan.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]

That was the plan.
View All Quotes

That was the plan.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I forgot about this thread, awesome stuff.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:51:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#33]
View Quote

Update tonight.........

Good stuff today.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Update 2/8.1

The fitting and paint matching went very well today.   They made a few seems that we will cover the gaps with niece in the air, but everything else went as expected.  Some minor paint problems that were easily fixed.

Even though we've been physically around this since the beginning, it was still mesmerizing to see it all together.

It seems Flickr has done something shitty to its website today, and making sharing images via url impossible from my phone.   Thanks flickr.

This thing is so long,  I had to use panoramic setting.  The custodian asked me....."are you sure this is going g to fit."      If I suddenly dissappear, you'll know why.  

The principal was quickly fetched to see the monster together.

Getting the paint matched

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RarestRX] [#37]

ETA:  I can't believe the size of it and I also can't believe there's a 4 x 4 metal pole directly in your hallway.  How many kids have walked into that thing while texting?

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Update 2/8.1

The fitting and paint matching went very well today.   They made a few seems that we will cover the gaps with niece in the air, but everything else went as expected.  Some minor paint problems that were easily fixed.

Even though we've been physically around this since the beginning, it was still mesmerizing to see it all together.
It seems Flickr has done something shitty to its website today, and making sharing images via url impossible from my phone.   Thanks flickr.

This thing is so long,  I had to use panoramic setting.  The custodian asked me....."are you sure this is going g to fit."      If I suddenly dissappear, you'll know why.  

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1513/24604943320_08aca7a004_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1590/24532819159_3a83d928f8_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1720/24874131186_3bf2d0ece4_b.jpg
The principal was quickly fetched to see the monster together.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1547/24532820079_4f985c5de6_b.jpg

Getting the paint matched

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1713/24782512822_82ddf12803_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1590/24532819159_3a83d928f8_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1656/24900433445_42ce1791ac_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1637/24900425805_643440bd50_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1690/24782499882_71a056f1a7_b.jpg
View Quote
That thing is HUGE!  

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I seem to recognize these names........

Thank you all,  and especially these folks for the support materials that you so generously supplied.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#40]
All the students who had small parts in this signed along the keel.  

Probably close to 80

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#41]
More later and videos of the crew signing.....although it's not very formal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#42]
You've probably answered this before, but what happens to these and the older projects down the road?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]
wow
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:
You've probably answered this before, but what happens to these and the older projects down the road?
View Quote

Hopefully, I'll be long gone before that happens.  This is a newish school, only opened in 2008.  I've got a way to go before we fill it up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

ETA:  I can't believe the size of it and I also can't believe there's a 4 x 4 metal pole directly in your hallway.  How many kids have walked into that thing while texting?

View Quote

Usually,  there's a trash can next to it, but it probably happens.  There are four of those in each of the two pods.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#47]

That's incredible.  Nicely done.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Hopefully, I'll be long gone before that happens.  This is a newish school, only opened in 2008.  I've got a way to go before we fill it up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:

Why not make that a time capsule for the class and school

I.E. Small American flag, school mascot. School attendance record when sub is sealed, Local News paper

You have the Idea

Looks Great
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:49:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#50]
Local online news feed stood us up today, but said they'd be by tomorrow to interview the kids.  

Regular paper said they'd be by Thursday.  They usually do a very nice story for us.  The stagecoach story  got picked up nationally.  Hopefully this one does the same.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top