Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:
I went through all the 485?  photos that I posted in this thread.   It seems like a decade ago we started this project.

It took less time than the stage coach, but it seems like it was much, much longer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Striker:  the first pages were so long ago..

I went through all the 485?  photos that I posted in this thread.   It seems like a decade ago we started this project.

It took less time than the stage coach, but it seems like it was much, much longer.

That's because it really is much much longer...

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Spectacular job, Guns - your students should be proud of what they've accomplished in such a short time.  It really looks good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The T shirt idea for the main crew seems to be going further than idol talk.  I got a text message tonight with pictures of a t shirt design.  

It needs work, but I was surprised they had at least gotten that far.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:29:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motopix] [#5]
Slightly related:  restoring a WW2 Biber one man sub on "Salvage Squad"

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW!

Amazing project.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pd59] [#7]
I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not (), but I've been following it since pg. 1, and just wanted to say this is really cool, and you and your students did a fantastic job on this. Hat's off to you, sir.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Love you man.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By brass:

DOH!  You got it all wrong!  

Why are the diving planes in the neutral position if the boat is diving??   Can that be something that can be twisted?  
View All Quotes
If you look closely, I had them make some of the streams of bubbles slant back, since it will be diving.   The bubbles  hopefully will look like they are going slightly backwards and up.  We will see.  We could always add more.  We've got plenty.  

DOH!  You got it all wrong!  

Why are the diving planes in the neutral position if the boat is diving??   Can that be something that can be twisted?  

And it shouldn't be diving if it's firing a torpedo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:51:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#12]
:DOH!  You got it all wrong!  

View Quote

Yes, the planes are wrong if it's diving, and it wouldn't be firing a torpedo while diving.  This is where that artistic license stuff has to come into play.  

For people to see the subs top, not just the bottom, it has to be "diving".    The planes are going to stay the way they are, and the torpedo is obviously not going any where since it carries the sensor.  

If it helps, we will hang our heads in shame for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Yes, the planes are wrong if it's diving, and it wouldn't be firing a torpedo while diving.  This is where that artistic license stuff has to come into play.  

For people to see the subs top, not just the bottom, it has to be "diving".    The planes are going to stay the way they are, and the torpedo is obviously not going any where since it carries the sensor.  

View All Quotes

And you could just go and clean the bilges. While there reflect on why you are there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

NEVER!  You guys have done a great job!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:11:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#15]
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
  And you could just go and clean the bilges. While there reflect on why you are there.
View Quote

Now hold on here dude....   We are getting way to close to the possibility of truth with that.

Both of my sinks have large box traps to collect paint, clay, and the occasional bloody hair that might go down the drain.  They didn't get cleaned out the last summer, as "they forgot".  They are full, and need cleaned out.  I mentioned this to a very helpful person, who acted like I was speaking a second language.

I think a real bilge might be cleaner.  Don't make us clean our "bilge"

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

It is by about 20 feet

EBR
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I seem to recognize these names........

Thank you all,  and especially these folks for the support materials that you so generously supplied.  

View Quote

Now that I did not expect.  Thank you Guns and the students.

EBR
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

It's a Battle of the Atlantic action diorama showing the sometimes desperate measures required just to survive.
The previous depth-charging has jammed the bow planes and the destroyer is coming in for another run. You can hear the ASDIC pings, can't you?
The boat's commander is firing a "Hail Mary" torpedo down the destroyer's throat just as the crew piles into the bow compartment to get her deep before the next depth charges are dropped / launched.

See? It all makes perfect sense now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

She was used to ship cargo from the United States to Imperial Germany until we entered the war.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Originally Posted By EDE59:  Took this pic from the WWI colorized pic thread in GD.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/11891226_728420303968491_3278420981965504489_n.jpg

The German submarine U-155 on display in St. Katherine docks, London, England, December 1918. The SM U-155 (formerly merchant submarine “Deutschland”) was a Type U-151 U-Kreuzer of the Kaiserliche Marine during World War I. Built at Flensburger Schiffbau, she was launched on 28 March 1916 as merchant submarine “Deutschland” Deutschland was a blockade-breaking German merchant submarine used during World War I. It was developed with private funds and operated by the North German Lloyd Line. She was one of the first of seven U-151 class U-boats built and one of only two used as unarmed cargo submarines.(Colorized by Edward Tambunan) https://www.faceb

That seems like a huge submarine from what I recall of seeing WWI U-Boats.

She was used to ship cargo from the United States to Imperial Germany until we entered the war.

If you read her history, she made two trips as a commercial submarine before being taken over by the Imperial German Navy and armed. She could carry ~750 tons of cargo and had more than twice the displacement of a typical WW1 U-Boat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#20]
That is just fantastic!  Thanks to you for being a great teacher, and congratulations to your students for a great job!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By EBR666:

EBR

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EBR666:

I seem to recognize these names........

Thank you all,  and especially these folks for the support materials that you so generously supplied.  

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1496/24604941340_6a35f2612c_b.jpg

EBR

Ditto!  

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By guns762:  Now hold on here dude....   We are getting way to close to the possibility of truth with that.

Both of my sinks have large box traps to collect paint, clay, and the occasional bloody hair that might go down the drain.  They didn't get cleaned out the last summer, as "they forgot".  They are full, and need cleaned out.  I mentioned this to a very helpful person, who acted like I was speaking a second language.

I think a real bilge might be cleaner.  Don't make us clean our "bilge"
View Quote

Reinigen Sie die Bilgen !  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]
That's pretty amazing. I wish I was close enough to come see it in person.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mach1run:
View Quote

For those who end up near Yellowstone, stop by and I'll give you the tour.   We've had folks that heard about the Stagecoach, come by for a visit.   The Principal likes to show off the school.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#25]
The online news feed guy came by yesterday and did a short story on the sub.

The local paper came by today and did a long interview with the kids.  She is a former student, and has done some great pieces on our projects in the past.   She is going to have a photographer come by for a large group photo when the submarine is in the air.

She pressed me for a date on that, so I told her Thursday we would try hanging it next week.  The custodian thinks it will work, as long as nothing comes up.   Friday we should be able to get it all sealed up, and hopefully the robotics running.   The following week, we should get a group photo of the "Christening".

That's the plan, so updates will happen at that time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Guns

That is awesome!!  I need to track down all of your project threads.  

Oh yeah, get an XBOX 1!!!

NORUS
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#27]
Originally Posted By RSnorris:
Guns

That is awesome!!  I need to track down all of your project threads.  

Oh yeah, get an XBOX 1!!!

NORUS
View Quote

Check out the first few pages (6)of this thread for the other threads.  

My son bought a Playstation 4.    I haven't been online for close to 3yrs now.  

I miss COD4.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#29]

For those who end up near Yellowstone, stop by and I'll give you the tour.   We've had folks that heard about the Stagecoach, come by for a visit.   The Principal likes to show off the school.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach1run:

I just may have to drive out there on one of my day's off in the next few weeks.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#30]

If the stagecoach made the news, then this one should as well without a problem.  

Shall we start mailbombing your local news stations now, or wait until it is hung up?
View Quote
We might allow it to hit the front page of the paper before we harass the TV stations.

One of the Billings stations did a story also, following the papers article.  I'll give them a heads up once the paper runs their story. .....then you guys can dogpile.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been reading this thread since the beginning.  Great job Guns.  Congratulate the students for me.  It looks great.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Guns this is by far the coolest one you have done so far I wanna stop by Monday and check it out way better the July finger painting when I was in your class
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#36]
High school job. I can top that.... meat scrap trimmings from a butcher shop.  Stored in 55 gallon drums out back, until the meat delivery truck could take them back for rendering.

One time in the summer (important detail) it didn't come for a week, and we had to empty it into the dumpster.  I think it was 54 gallons maggots, to 1 gallon meat, by the point we emptied it.  It was so, so, so vile.  I had dry heaves, and another guy puked.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:53:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#37]
Originally Posted By Sparks556:
Guns this is by far the coolest one you have done so far I wanna stop by Monday and check it out way better the July finger painting when I was in your class
View Quote

You can always get the private guided tour my friend.  Bring the girls!  Just call me, cause I'm off Monday.

Oh, that finger painting....  

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#38]
On a sadder note.  

Looks like our district will be loooking for a new Robotics/Computer Sciences/Programing teacher next year.

Ours turned in her resignation this week.  Her robotics team just won the Montana State title, and earned a trip to CA for super regionals.  They've got a good shot at winning the WY title tomorrow in Casper.  Pretty cool.  

It sucks that she is leaving.  

Not sure how the hell they will find someone with half of her qualifications to replace her.  

If anyone who had a background in that stuff wants to move to WY and teach at a great small H.S. of about 450 students and help build cool projects with me, send me a PM and I'll get you the application info.

The retiring teacher did not have a teaching degree, she was a retired Microsoft President, so I think there is some leeway in the credentials.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Guns,

Great project and it turned out awesome.  Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher.  This project and memories will be your legacy at your school and community.  Thank you for including us and sharing your projects.  Well done!  

We all look forward to your next one....
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
High school job. I can top that.... meat scrap trimmings from a butcher shop.  Stored in 55 gallon drums out back, until the meat delivery truck could take them back for rendering.

One time in the summer (important detail) it didn't come for a week, and we had to empty it into the dumpster.  I think it was 54 gallons maggots, to 1 gallon meat, by the point we emptied it.  It was so, so, so vile.  I had dry heaves, and another guy puked.

View Quote

Ohhhhhh,  ohhhhh, ohhhhh

I've got a story for you two.

One of the former Ag teachers was using my pheasant bodies I had left over for disection.  I just bagged them up after skinning the birds and put them in a freezer for her in her room.  

She left, suddenly, and didn't clean out the fridge.  She was a little pissed.  The summer crew unplugged the fridge and left it in the Ag room....no AC.  

SEVERAL WEEKS LATER- the office, at the other end of the school started smelling something dead.  The summer crew noticed it sooner, but chose to just put towells under the door to the Ag room and leave it.

The office called me in at the end of the fucking summer to investigate, as the new Ag teacher was trying to move in.  

We found the soupy mess in the fridge......  he puked, but we managed to clean it out.  

We thought the fridge was done for, but I got it cleaned and claimed it for myself in the new school.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#42]
Update 2/12

I got a couple minutes and thought I'd do a very, very short video tour of the projects, ending with  a quick walk around the sub.  

We are still on for next week for raising it up.  Kids got the boards ready to help stabilize the sub when we raise it up.  

They also laminated the blue prints we used so we could hang them up on the wall next to the sub.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Ohhhhhh,  ohhhhh, ohhhhh

One of the former Ag teachers was using my pheasant bodies I had left over for disection.  I just bagged them up after skinning the birds and put them in a freezer for her in her room.  

She left, suddenly, and didn't clean out the fridge.  She was a little pissed.  The summer crew unplugged the fridge and left it in the Ag room....no AC.  

SEVERAL WEEKS LATER- the office, at the other end of the school started smelling something dead.  The summer crew noticed it sooner, but chose to just put towells under the door to the Ag room and leave it.

The office called me in at the end of the fucking summer to investigate, as the new Ag teacher was trying to move in.  

We found the soupy mess in the fridge......  he puked, but we managed to clean it out.  

We thought the fridge was done for, but I got it cleaned and claimed it for myself in the new school.  

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

Ohhhhhh,  ohhhhh, ohhhhh

I'll try make a long story short:  I was running the laboratory at the Cadet Clinic at the Air Force Academy when a bout of Norwalk virus caused all sorts of, shall we say...mess, in the Cadet population.  My life sucked for a while and over a period of a couple of weeks I amassed several hundred waxed cardboard containers of very soupy poo.  

Regulations required that I autoclave (steam sterilize) the specimens before disposal.  I knew that it was going to stink pretty bad, so I loaded up my autoclave with a couple of hundred specimens, turned it on, and went to lunch.

When I returned, the commander's secretary was sitting in her chair on the grass outside of her office talking on a phone that had been run out the window.  When she saw me, she hung up the phone, stood up, arched her back and not so politely told me that the commander wanted to see me the instant I returned.

Nothing can prepare you for the smell of a couple of hundred containers of soupy poo cooking in the lab, and they weren't amused, but I was.  Hey, regs are regs, and some of them stink worse than others.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:  Hey, regs are regs, and some of them stink worse than others.

View Quote

I'll stick to emptying my "bilge".

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Update 2/12

I got a couple minutes and thought I'd do a very, very short video tour of the projects, ending with  a quick walk around the sub.  

We are still on for next week for raising it up.  Kids got the boards ready to help stabilize the sub when we raise it up.  

They also laminated the blue prints we used so we could hang them up on the wall next to the sub.

https://youtu.be/Y5KCe4iX_Ag

View Quote

When you turned the corner and the whole sub came into view...

...holy sh*t man!

So freakin' cool.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Update 2/12

View Quote

Watched the student newscast from yesterday, those two young ladies were much more poised and professional than what  I have seen in student newcasts at the high schools around the Chicago suburbs in the last 25 years. Energetic,well scrubbed , eager kids, your school looks quite idyllic. You wouldn't need a slightly worn but still quite serviceable History teacher with an extensive Special Ed background out there would you?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:  Hey, regs are regs, and some of them stink worse than others.

Wise choice; it really was pretty bad.  The rest of the specimens went straight to the incinerator because regs may be regs, but orders is orders.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:27:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#48]
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:

Watched the student newscast from yesterday, those two young ladies were much more poised and professional than what  I have seen in student newcasts at the high schools around the Chicago suburbs in the last 25 years. Energetic,well scrubbed , eager kids, your school looks quite idyllic. You wouldn't need a slightly worn but still quite serviceable History teacher with an extensive Special Ed background out there would you?
View All Quotes
Update 2/12

That wasn't our PHS.......

We don't have a newscast..........anymore.   We used to...years ago.

ETA....  Crazy, looks like their mascot is also a Panther.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the video.  I remember most of the project threads, and that brought back some good memories.  Can't wait to see the sub in its final configuration.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Update 2/12

my bad. as for the Panther and school initials, well it's a natural isn't it?

still the question stands ...........
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top