Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:
Local online news feed stood us up today, but said they'd be by tomorrow to interview the kids.  

Regular paper said they'd be by Thursday.  They usually do a very nice story for us.  The stagecoach story  got picked up nationally.  Hopefully this one does the same.
View Quote

Send an email to:

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Fan-freakin-tastic!  That thing is going to look bad ass when it's suspended.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy crap that's a big boat
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:19:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#4]

RC unit

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:20:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#5]
View Quote

You know where the next update is going.  

But to edit........not the RC part.?..
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

hope it works out.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

That's incredible.  Nicely done.

View Quote

Getting some ideas for your next canoe trip?  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xLucidx] [#8]
this thread is awesome and so are you OP.

I just spent the last 1.5 hours going through this from start to finish. It almost gets my eyes dusty seeing someone spending so much time with these kids and getting them to come together on such a great project. The world could use more people like you.

Where were you when I was growing up?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the vessel have a name?

If so, will it appear on the hull anywhere?

Outstanding project!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TX_Traveller:

Outstanding project!
View Quote

Since we are going to "Christen it" with a cool champaign bottle and everything.......it probably needs a name.  

I'm not sure where it should go on the boat.  

The PHSS Panther seems appropriate, as that is our mascot, but I could be convinced to call it something else.  The crew seemed to like that idea.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Since we are going to "Christen it" with a cool champaign bottle and everything.......it probably needs a name.  

The PHSS Panther seems appropriate, as that is our mascot, but I could be convinced to call it something else.  The crew seemed to like that idea.
View All Quotes

Outstanding project!

I think that is a great idea.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#12]
Update 2/8.2

So, as you have been following the last couple pages, Leisure_Shoot suggested bubbles around the firing torpedo.  This was a great idea.  After he and I searched Amazon for a plastic that might work, he had them shipped bY Prime to us.  They were supposed to get here today, but they were a little late in the day, or at least after I left.

No worries.  

I found a few very small plastic spheres locally, realy, just beads, and 3 plastic ornament spheres.  They are much bigger than is probably needed, but I had an idea.  I also picked up some glass beads, but they can only be used in ways where they have support.    I'm worried the hot glue will not hold over time if they are unsupported.    While waiting for the 60 spheres Leisure_shoot ordered, the kids started with what we had today.

They were not real happy, but I convinced them, I've got a plan and in my head it looks good.  They relented and proceeded with my direction.

Understand, this is only he beginning, but I like what's starting to take shape.  Once we add the other 60 1/2" plastic spheres, along with the tiny 1/4" beads, it should look pretty convincing.

We will see.  You folks have to trust me a bit on this.  

ETA:Looks like the bubbles were delivered to the admin building, and not the H.S.  I should get them tomorrow.  The admin office is only about a mile away from the H.S......so glad ups can read the freak'en address and deliver it to the proper place.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like cavitation bubbles to me, good job
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]
And, the signing of the boat by the main crew.  This is two parts as some weren't available when they started.  We still missed two with video.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By xLucidx:
this thread is awesome and so are you OP.

I just spent the last 1.5 hours going through this from start to finish. It almost gets my eyes dusty seeing someone spending so much time with these kids and getting them to come together on such a great project. The world could use more people like you.

Where were you when I was growing up?
View Quote

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm glad you enjoyed the journey so far.  

As much fun as this has all been, I'll be very happy when its hanging and completed.  

We've got a bear eating a nice whitetail deer to get going on and finish before the end of April.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]

As always guns762, well done to you and your crew.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:57:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Outstanding project!

The naming rights should definitely go to the crew IMO; they've earned it!  The number should probably be that Zip Code gang sign that they keep using though...maybe even a stylized drawing of the gang sign on the torpedo head or something.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Did we say 60 pieces......or 60ft .....  

Anyway, they are looking great.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#21]
no doubt someone will be wearing the rest, at some point.

Just keep an eye out for any Mardi Gras type behavior. I don't want to facilitate any career ending incidents.

ETA: it says 22 yards long.   btw, you sent me the link.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:00:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dilbert_556] [#22]

View All Quotes

Uh Oh, sounds like the time honored "unit of issue" mistake.  One time I ordered 100 stool containers thinking the unit of issue was "each",  and ended up getting 100 cases of the damned things at 1000 containers per case.  

That was over 30 years ago, and they're probably still using stool containers that I ordered.  At least they were cheap...

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn, that's cool...
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pool_shark:
I wish I had you as my teacher when I was in school!

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
no doubt someone will be wearing the rest, at some point.   Just keep an eye out for any Mardi Gras type behavior. I don't want to facilitate any career ending incidents.

ETA: it says 22 yards long.   btw, you sent me the link.

View Quote

See, I'm just a visual person.   I don't read anything....I just liked the picture....
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#27]

These threads are the best thing on Arfcom, OP is a true role model.

To see this project go from an idea to the finished U-Boat has been time well spent.

Great job Guns, you and the crew are incredible.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
Uh Oh, sounds like the time honored "unit of issue" mistake.

View Quote

those are the best!

I once made a order for some sausage from a processor
in discussion we kept throwing out price per pound and how many packages of each  
it was a new processor and I wanted to try them out first
I assumed... 1 package equaled 1 pound

as my order came out of the freezer on multiple carts
it was at that point I knew I messed up big time

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By bigrob83:
those are the best!

in discussion we kept throwing out price per pound and how many packages of each  

View All Quotes

those are the best!

I'll bet that sausage was a whole lot more expensive than my stool containers were...but I'll bet the difference that you've never seen a deuce and a half full of stool containers like I have.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll bet that sausage was a whole lot more expensive than my stool containers were...but I'll bet the difference that you've never seen a deuce and a half full of stool containers like I have.  

View All Quotes

those are the best!

I'm in entendre overload here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I once helped someone order envelopes for their business checks. 1 box of 1000 would have been plenty. 10 boxes was too many. (I think they were still using them 5 years later.) Doh!

And congratulations to all the students. Now, I know it's February, but what are they going to do for the rest of the school year? Make PT boats? Minesweepers? Antisubmarine nets?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By TailHunter:

It looks like cavitation bubbles to me, good job
View Quote
Agreed.

Well done.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mak_380:
I once helped someone order envelopes for their business checks. 1 box of 1000 would have been plenty. 10 boxes was too many. (I think they were still using them 5 years later.) Doh!

And congratulations to all the students. Now, I know it's February, but what are they going to do for the rest of the school year? Make PT boats? Minesweepers? Antisubmarine nets?
View Quote

We've got a big taxidermy project almost underway.  Bear eating a deer.  

There will be a thread.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarbineDad] [#34]

There will be a thread.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mak_380:

There will be a thread.

Do the bear first.  Then while you are doing the deer put your model U-Boat in the Bears mouth.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#35]

those are the best!

View All Quotes

those are the best!

We were at a pretty nice sushi joint in Scottsdale AZ (I know, not known for sushi, but go with it), and I was introducing my father in law to Sushi.  I had ordered a sampler that had something like 8 different pieces on it, and I was having him try different types to see what he liked the best.  I had cut each piece in half to make them more bite size, and to prevent the inevitable gag reflex that happens with bad sushi.

Anyway, he liked the Yellowfin Tuna Nigri the best (good choice), and we decided that we would just order a la cart since they had individual pieces (1 order = 2 pieces).  When the waitress came back to see if we needed anything, he pointed at the 1/2 piece of Tuna that was left with his chopstick, and said "I'd like 3 more of those" thinking it was really clear to her that he wanted 3 more piece of Tuna.

About 15 minutes pass and the waitress brings us out 3 more 8 piece sampler platters, so an assortment of 24 pieces.  Now I like sushi, but that was way more than I was going to be able to eat at that point in the meal, especially after some of the other stuff and beer we had and the order that I already had made for myself.  Plus, this was not a cheap joint, so that 8 piece sampler wasn't $8 like it is at the gas station, but was more like $40 since it had some very nice cuts on it.

My father in law gets really red faced and says that he just wanted 3 orders of the Tuna, not 3 more 8 piece samplers!   The waitress literally gave him the "I'm fucked" look realizing that the chef was not going to be happy taking back fresh cut sushi, and that she'd likely literally or figuratively have to eat $120 worth of sushi.   She stares at us in despair for a few moments and then said she'd have to check with her manager.  He came out and explained the cut to order nature of sushi, and that we couldn't just return it.  After seeing it was an honest mistake, and that the waitress should have realized that more than likely one person isn't going to order that much sushi for themselves in that manner (since there were other options on the menu for larger quantities), he agreed to taking 2 plates back if we agreed to pay  and keep for 1 of them.  Which was a pretty fair deal in my opinion since we both shared some of the blame.

Another valuable lesson on being very clear on units when ordering!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#36]
Update 2/9

The good news is, even with 26yrds of these roughly 3/8" beads, we are going to be able to use plenty of them.  We will put some on the chains of the mines too.  They should look good.

We still have plenty more to put around the torpedo, but it's looking better.  Some of the crew are still not happy about them, but in the end, they will secretly agree, they look good.

The remaining beads...hardly any at all...

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Question for all you experts:

If we put the uboat number on the boat, is the port side conning tower the correct location?  We had kids looking today, and we found a few with the number either in black or white on that spot.  I'm just not sure if it's correct, as most of the photos were 505, and it seemed like that may have been painted on there after she was captured.

Also, where can we put the name...   PHSS Panther.   This is what the kids picked today.

The number will be U307
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#38]

If we put the uboat number on the boat, is the port side conning tower the correct location?  We had kids looking today, and we found a few with the number either in black or white on that spot.  I'm just not sure if it's correct, as most of the photos were 505, and it seemed like that may have been painted on there after she was captured.

Also, where can we put the name...   PHSS Panther.   This is what the kids picked today.

The number will be U307
View Quote

Assuming you want it to represent an active wartime boat, there wouldn't be any number. They were painted out at the beginning of the war for security reasons. Nor did any boat have a name. Prewar, the numbers were on the conning tower. I've seen pictures showing both port and starboard sides, but photo negatives (and images) often get reversed.    
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PigBat:

Assuming you want it to represent an active wartime boat, there wouldn't be any number. They were painted out at the beginning of the war for security reasons. Nor did any boat have a name. Prewar, the numbers were on the conning tower. I've seen pictures showing both port and starboard sides, but photo negatives (and images) often get reversed.    
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PigBat:

The number will be U307

Thank you.

We may need to make a plaque.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Way cool. I gotta ask, how much did this thing cost?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Got a speaker  hooked up to play Das Boot soundtrack?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
Got a speaker  hooked up to play Das Boot soundtrack?
View Quote

5 tracks to play randomly when motion activated.  The speaker and sensor are in the nose of the sub.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:
Way cool. I gotta ask, how much did this thing cost?
View Quote

That's a great question......

I don't want to know.

I had a running tally in my head for a while.    I gave up somewhere along the way.  Its less than I spend on oil paint and paint brushes for the year.  

It's less than what I spend on the taxidermy unit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#44]
It's fantastic.  You're one hell of an art teacher.

The greatest foundation for art education should be how to make the stuff that you imagine.  Art schools don't even teach how to mix paint colors.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Weathering looks excellent.  Looks like you used washes to bring out the details.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#46]

The number will be U307
View Quote

Absolutely awesome, Guns.  I'll make sure to come shake your hand and admire your kids work up at the events center this spring.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Subcanis:.gif[/img]

Absolutely awesome, Guns.  I'll make sure to come shake your hand and admire your kids work up at the events center this spring.  
View Quote

Do it.  It's always nice to see folks show up at the events center.  That event is monumental is the amount and quality of work shown.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Did you check this out? Good info.

http://www.rokket.biz/modelsweb/rokket/u557/paint.shtml
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Update 2/9

The good news is, even with 26yrds of these roughly 3/8" beads, we are going to be able to use plenty of them.  We will put some on the chains of the mines too.  They should look good.

We still have plenty more to put around the torpedo, but it's looking better.  Some of the crew are still not happy about them, but in the end, they will secretly agree, they look good.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1595/24832854751_430ecf568e_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1543/24630736320_f1df817179_b.jpg

The remaining beads...hardly any at all...

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1692/24832855481_4f49b75a25_b.jpg
View Quote

Titties, I really like this whole thing. The torpedo tubing out is very cool!    
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#50]
The bubbles definitely had a nice finishing effect and help really bring it alive!

I wouldn't be too worried about a subdued ship name and number.  You could even make it look like they were painted over and just showing through due to the wear.   I think the kids deserve to have that on the boat.  Yeah, their names are on it, but having a name to refer to the ship would be kinda like a secret club to those kids in 25 years at their class reunion.   You remember the "Panther" U307?
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top