Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:

I don't  know.......I'm thinking a three piece SR71 would be pretty crazy to build.   Nose up, inverted, with robotics coming up with some lights in the engines????  The cockpit windows, paint markings......clear tubes coming out the back with Led clusters.....

I wonder if we could get a real flight suit donated.....get a structure in it and have it on the wall complete with helmet?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By backbencher:

Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:  Next year needs to bring Powell High nice Blackbird...SR-71 Blackbird that is.  

Ooooooooooooooo..........

We........could........do.........that........

It would be beautiful.  However, other than the extended landing gear, what sort of detail work is there?  It's sorta like building a model of the Concorde.  A steam locomotive would be detail insane, particularly if you hung it right side up - imagine the detail needed underneath.

Lots of detail, interesting looking underside & sides...  what about a firetruck?  Steam shovel?  M3 Grant/Lee tank?

I don't  know.......I'm thinking a three piece SR71 would be pretty crazy to build.   Nose up, inverted, with robotics coming up with some lights in the engines????  The cockpit windows, paint markings......clear tubes coming out the back with Led clusters.....

I wonder if we could get a real flight suit donated.....get a structure in it and have it on the wall complete with helmet?
They didn't wear regular flight suits in the Blackbird, they wore full pressure suits (a space suit for all intents and purposes).  I'm not saying you can't get one, but those things are EXPENSIVE to say the least.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:  Next year needs to bring Powell High nice Blackbird...SR-71 Blackbird that is.  

Ooooooooooooooo..........

We........could........do.........that........

It would be beautiful.  However, other than the extended landing gear, what sort of detail work is there?  It's sorta like building a model of the Concorde.  A steam locomotive would be detail insane, particularly if you hung it right side up - imagine the detail needed underneath.

Lots of detail, interesting looking underside & sides...  what about a firetruck?  Steam shovel?  M3 Grant/Lee tank?

EPIC SR71 build
http://www.mmrca.org/lance/sledframe.html

Thinking he might still have the molds ........
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
They didn't wear regular flight suits in the Blackbird, they wore full pressure suits (a space suit for all intents and purposes).  I'm not saying you can't get one, but those things are EXPENSIVE to say the least.

View Quote

I was looking at pictures of them...    

Definitely a space suit.  Think they'd be that hard to come by, huh?    

I suppose we could try to make a mock up.  Probably would be nearly as cool.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By guns762:  I don't  know.......I'm thinking a three piece SR71 would be pretty crazy to build.   Nose up, inverted, with robotics coming up with some lights in the engines????  The cockpit windows, paint markings......clear tubes coming out the back with Led clusters.....

View Quote

You could do the YA-12 version firing a missile.  Or if you're going inverted, throw the supersonic unmanned drone on the SR-71's back that it carried for a bit.

Make the Robotics folks automate the flight suit & have it walk down the halls during classes.  "Clunk, clunk, clunk..."  

F-111 w/ ejection capsule almost on the ground, two terrified pilots in cockpit?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]

You could do the YA-12 version firing a missile.  Or if you're going inverted, throw the supersonic unmanned drone on the SR-71's back that it carried for a bit.

Make the Robotics folks automate the flight suit & have it walk down the halls during classes.  "Clunk, clunk, clunk..."  

F-111 w/ ejection capsule almost on the ground, two terrified pilots in cockpit?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By guns762:  I don't  know.......I'm thinking a three piece SR71 would be pretty crazy to build.   Nose up, inverted, with robotics coming up with some lights in the engines????  The cockpit windows, paint markings......clear tubes coming out the back with Led clusters.....

No need to make the flight suit walk.  Just have it play a sound track that makes a fart sound, and a pilots voice saying "OH MAN" whenever someone walks by.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
This came today.  Thanks to our principal!    He had some "One Time money" and asked for requests, this is part of what I asked for.  It will allow us to do some murals with the airbrushes, as well as work on future projects with the air tools outside of the classroom.  

It's pretty quiet.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Info on the Suit
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Some RC pilots have put superbright LED's around the tailcone of their jets to simulate afterburner. Not too bad, even in daylight. This was for the ducted fan jets in the day.

Of course, with real model jet engines out there now, I don't think they'll need it. :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#9]
Update 5/6

The U307 was featured in my former coworker/friends keynote speech to educators tonight.    He sent me a link.  His speech was titled "If not now, when?"

I figured I should share.  He knows about this thread, and has read through it.  Some of the anicdotes about it were a little off, but that's just normal for sorry telling.  He interviews some of my students, and Boat Crew members.  He talks about Arfcom and the support you showed in this very thread.

http://www.thecube.com/event/644337
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Update 5/6

The U307 was featured in my former coworker/friends keynote speech to educators tonight.    He sent me a link.  His speech was titled "If not now, when?"

I figured I should share.  He knows about this thread, and has read through it.  Some of the anicdotes about it were a little off, but that's just normal for sorry telling.  He interviews some of my students, and Boat Crew members.  He talks about Arfcom and the support you showed in this very thread.

http://www.thecube.com/event/644337
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]
They've already done a 1/2 scale Sopwith Camel.  Besides, I would have thought that someone with the name R71 would agree with me on the Blackbird.      
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R71:
http://i63.tinypic.com/28wcf3m.jpg" />

It's the 100th anniversary of WW I plus it could almost be built 1:1 scale.
They've already done a 1/2 scale Sopwith Camel.  Besides, I would have thought that someone with the name R71 would agree with me on the Blackbird.      

The sr71 would be cool, didnt know they had already built the camel.

How about an Apollo moon lander?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I suggested that way back at the beginning of the thread, but I'm almost 50 and I don't know what the kids are into these days...and I'd think it would need to be something current and/or interesting enough to keep social-media era teenagers engaged.  That's a tough sell.  Keeping them focused for the distance can't be easy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:

I suggested that way back at the beginning of the thread, but I'm almost 50 and I don't know what the kids are into these days...and I'd think it would need to be something current and/or interesting enough to keep social-media era teenagers engaged.  That's a tough sell.  Keeping them focused for the distance can't be easy.
View All Quotes

It's still a very good and in the running idea.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:11:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sgt_Fish] [#14]
Really enjoyed the video presentation you posted.  I can relate, at least vicariously, as my wife is an educator  (math) and was always looking for ways to visually demonstrate some math concepts.  Obviously your students bring concepts into your class from what they pick up from other subjects in school.

Maybe challenge the art students with smaller projects that demonstrate concepts from these other subjects that the students can take back to those other classes.  Something like DaVinci machines or devices that show the laws of motion.  Math and science have a lot of aspects that are visually awesome (Fibonocci sequence), but are plentiful in source considering all of the concepts available.  Economics or statistics are probably a little more difficult to depict artisticly.

Im sure some of the other teachers have some ideas based on their curriculum to challenge the students in thwireless own classroom.  These could be smaller projects that could also serve as filler between the big projects.

Sorry for the rambling, just spit balling some ideas after watching the presentation.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R71:  The sr71 would be cool, didnt know they had already built the camel.

The moon lander has the advantage in that it was actually built out of thick aluminum foil, and the astronauts themselves could have punched through the wall of the cabin were they not careful.  One could build a full scale mockup w/ working ladder, entrance, interior, and simulated working flight computer, as well as simulated landing and takeoff through the view ports.  The simulations would cost a bit - the actual structure not so much.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't check to see if this has been posted, but the Wyoming art class with the submarine has made it to the Washington Times.

Link

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fudimo1:  I didn't check to see if this has been posted, but the Wyoming art class with the submarine has made it to the Washington Times.

Link
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fudimo1:  I didn't check to see if this has been posted, but the Wyoming art class with the submarine has made it to the Washington Times.

Link

The school’s head custodian Mike Brooks was instrumental in installing solar panels for power, he added.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By fudimo1:
I didn't check to see if this has been posted, but the Wyoming art class with the submarine has made it to the Washington Times.

Link

View Quote

I got sent a link while I was out shooting this morning......for 4hrs...
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Link

The school’s head custodian Mike Brooks was instrumental in installing solar panels for power, he added.

He deserved every bit and more recognition for his help this year.  I'm glad she included it in the article.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#20]

He deserved every bit and more recognition for his help this year.  I'm glad she included it in the article.
View All Quotes

Link

Wow, nice article; congratulations!  

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Maybe it's too late, but along with the pings add the sound of a destroyer's screws. Ship's screws make a distinctive

sound going overhead. You can almost get a turn count.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#22]

The shirt came in today. Nice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Do a tank...to match the camel...or maybe a Sherman ..but only 1/4 of it..on an angle so it can be wall mounted vs free standing.I'm blabbering

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By protus:
Do a tank...to match the camel...or maybe a Sherman ..but only 1/4 of it..on an angle so it can be wall mounted vs free standing.I'm blabbering

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I like the brain storming....  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

Link

Fantastic!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:16:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#26]
My update for this week is kind of weak.

We are still playing with the sound system.  They replaced the large battery with a smaller one in hopes of it being able to charge, fully, and start the program more often.  Yesterday the program started at 4:00pm.   That's a little late.  The sun during this time of year does not hit the panel directly till the late afternoon.  

We are waiting again today to see when it starts up.   The next trial is to put up a second solar panel to help charge the battery quicker.   Last Monday, the program glitched during 6th hour about 1:30pm and wouldn't stop pinging.     There were a couple pissed off teachers.   Hopefully, the programmers have that fixed.  

I'm still waiting for the check from Customink.com.   I'll let you know when we get it.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#27]

We are still playing with the sound system.  They replaced the large battery with a smaller one in hopes of it being able to charge, fully, and start the program more often.  Yesterday the program started at 4:00pm.   That's a little late.  The sun during this time of year does not hit the panel directly till the late afternoon.  

We are waiting again today to see when it starts up.   The next trial is to put up a second solar panel to help charge the battery quicker.   Last Monday, the program glitched during 6th hour about 1:30pm and wouldn't stop pinging.     There were a couple pissed off teachers.   Hopefully, the programmers have that fixed.  

I'm still waiting for the check from Customink.com.   I'll let you know when we get it.  

View Quote
Ooops!  

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome article and great project guns!
Your class might as well be called monument makers, cause Im sure none of those kids will forget what they achieved there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Ooops!  

View All Quotes

Ooops!  

I got a frantic text from my son who was in a nearby classroom.    "Dad, the submarine won't stop pinging, and Mr. Soandso is getting really mad!"

I texted him back,"well get up the ladder and unplug it......you are part of that team".
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#30]

I got a frantic text from my son who was in a nearby classroom.    "Dad, the submarine won't stop pinging, and Mr. Soandso is getting really mad!"

I texted him back,"well get up the ladder and unplug it......you are part of that team".
View All Quotes

Ooops!  

I wonder if they could install an on/off switch for the sound system somewhere.  Maybe a button switch on the tip of the torpedo that could be operated with a short pole.  You could make Mr. Soandso the "keeper of the pole" just in case.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder if they could install an on/off switch for the sound system somewhere.  Maybe a button switch on the tip of the torpedo that could be operated with a short pole.  You could make Mr. Soandso the "keeper of the pole" just in case.  

View Quote

Unfortunately, that would require more wiring from the micro processor in the middle of the boat, to the nose, and that AIN'T happening.

They have figured out that they can cover the motion sensor if it gets out of hand, but it hasn't been working enough to be a problem.

and.....you sure don't need a ladder to reach the torpedo.   It's only about 7' off the ground.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:55:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#32]
I was always fond of the odd configuration of the M3 Grant/Lee tank of the 2nd WW.  37mm gun in the top turret, 75mm gun in a right side sponson.  Not ideal, but it gave good service in North Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Lee
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Update 5/13

Video tour on a cloudy day.  Sound system was charging and not working.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By guns762:  Update 5/13

Video tour on a cloudy day.  Sound system was charging and not working.  

https://youtu.be/9kudntqN3qU
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
View Quote

Mine too.  Looks nice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By raffi383:

Mine too.  Looks nice.
View All Quotes

Mine too.  Looks nice.

Mine arrived today. I think they came out great.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By redoubt:

View All Quotes

Mine too.  Looks nice.

Got mine today.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Our schools have always been top notch, as a Powell alumni, I could not be prouder.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#39]
My students let me know we are supposed to get the check from custom ink at the end of the month.

Glad you folks are getting your shirts.  Haven't seen the couple I ordered yet, but we are a bit further out in the wild.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Still waiting for mine. Great crew.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

Got mine today.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

Mine too.  Looks nice.

Got mine today.  

Got mine yesterday
Thanks again guns
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Could this be the first picture of someone eating a sub while wearing a U307 sub shirt?

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Could this be the first picture of someone eating a sub while wearing a U307 sub shirt?

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/Genrzm" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/26405568554_d918cd6802_z.jpg</a>
View Quote

Fantastic!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Got the shirt I ordered today.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Got mine today!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#46]

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/26405568554_d918cd6802_z.jpg
View Quote

I got mine today!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Mine arrived.  I have not had the pleasure of putting it on - but the GF modeled it for me.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#48]
That's hot!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#49]
got my shirt on Saturday!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Got my shirt yesterday.

Our blind dog, Sonar, approves!

Later in the day, my wife decided what your next project should be "The Wooden Wonder", the DeHavilland Mosquito!

Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top