Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2015 8:54:25 AM EDT
Need a new air compressor.  Just so happens Harbor Freight seems to have a bunch on sale this weekend.  It will not see heavy duty use at all, just the occasional air tool when working on a car but even then pretty light duty.

Seems like it might be worth a shot at $155.

one on sale this weekend
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
itll probably be alright.  I use alot of there hand tools for my "truck tools" as they have a lifetime warranty and they are cheap.  I have not seen great results with there drills(i stick to Dewalt, Makita, Hitachi, porter cable etc.) but i have had god luck with a HF sawsall.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#2]
"Harbor Freight air compressors Are junk".

FIFY.

Seriously though, anything at HF is hit or miss. You can get stuff that lasts as long as the name brands, and another of the same item that falls apart as you take it out of the box.

Light duty use it will probably fit the bill for you.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one of those.  Light duty for sure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Will it work alright to use an impact enough to rotate tires on my truck or run an air ratchet for various projects?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two different small compressors from there and both work fine for light duty use.   I bought them because they were cheap enough that if they died it would be no big loss.   That bet has paid off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
You can pick up decent air compressors at pawn shops all day long for less than $100.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Will it work alright to use an impact enough to rotate tires on my truck or run an air ratchet for various projects?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that very compressor (the one on sale for 155 this weekend) and use it for that very stuff. Do the break-in, maintain it and it will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a HB 21-gallon years ago.  I use it occasionally for light duty jobs, but it has never had one issue.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#9]
That will run an impact wrench just fine...4.7CFM @ 90 is respectable for a 120V compressor, and the 21 gallon capacity means you've got some nice buffer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it'll work for that.  Using it for an air hammer, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is perfect for that kind of use.  I had one of those for my garage and it worked great.  I plan on getting another when the time comes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Fuck China
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
if you can get the extra warranty

ny neighbor uses one for his business and it isn't used hard, it is powered everyday

he buys the warranty and when it dies, he just goes and gets another
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Bostich 6 gal and a brad nailer factory reconditioned for $120 MUCH better deal got mine from CPO years ago
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I would not get one of the oil less ones....too fucking loud...

I bought this one abot 3 years ago.....http://www.harborfreight.com/29-gal-2-HP-150-PSI-Cast-Iron-Vertical-Air-Compressor-61489.html
Much better and still works like a champ
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had a 6.5SCFM harbor freight air compressor for years. I have no complaints. I only use it for light duty work though. If you just need something to air up tires, and run the occasional air tool I think they're a good value. If you're going to be using it a lot (multiple times a week and/or extended periods of use) I would probably look at something a bit better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Have this one, purchased it 9 yrs ago, Still going strong

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-gallon-165-psi-two-stage-air-compressor-93274.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I have that one. For home use its fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Anything form there I consider disposable.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you just need a cheap tool for a job or two, not something that lasts a lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine saw about 2-3 hours/day of use for two years. Then I finished all my projects, let it rest, and fired it up in the dead of winter. Blew a breaker, and upon taking it apart, the hot wire running to the motor had shorted and welded itself to the motor housing.

I'd say it had a good run, and I liked it a lot better than the cheap POS oilless Husky I picked it to replace it during a time of dire need.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I have that one. For home use its fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FIFY.

Seriously though, anything at HF is hit or miss. You can get stuff that lasts as long as the name brands, and another of the same item that falls apart as you take it out of the box.

View Quote

I used to buy harbor freight stuff a lot for our guys. 4" grinders a good example. You could get 1 for under 10 bucks and they lasted. I'd buy 40 at a time. Last 2 times I bought 30ish at a time and over half of them didn't even last a week. Same deal on lots of other stuff that is electrical.

I'm done with harbor freight except for wrenches, sockets, and rolling carts.

That's coming from a guy that would buy 2-3 grand worth of tools there for a construction site, every month or 2.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't buy one of their compressors, however, the Earthquake impact driver is a very impressive tool.  

Keep in mind that many truck lug nuts have torque specs in the 120-150 ft/lb range, and they can be even tougher to remove with a touch of corrosion.  What this means is you will have to use a cross bar or breakover to pop them loose before you can spin them off with your driver.  That kinda defeats the purpose of dragging the hose and gun out to your vehicle. A crossbar wrench is almost as fast as a cheap impact.

My 60 gallon Devilbiss compressor would struggle when the pressure would drop right before the switch would start the motor.  It was around 12scfm.  I use an Ingersoll Rand 60 gallon that is 24scfm at any pressure, 100% duty cycle.   Buy once, buy right.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I got this on sale for $99 and it's awesome: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-TA-2530B/202564847

I don't trust HF stuff...
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I have an 8 or 10 gal one. I've had it for around 8 years with no problems. It's mostly for light duty use though. I think it's a pretty good value unless you're going to use one daily for work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine just stopped pumping up past 80 pounds a couple days ago while I was working my truck.

Cheap junk, I only got 14 years and 4 months use for the $99 dollars I paid for it. Of course, not changing the original compressor oil in it for 10 or 11 years probably didn't help it's longevity, but I did drain the water out of the tank twice while I've had it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't forget a 20% off coupon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I have two, both have been going for years although I really should  get a larger one since I'm using a sander a lot these days.    (restoring a wooden boat)
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't forget a 20% off coupon.
View Quote

Most of the coupons aren't good on compressors.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#30]
You're never going to find a compressor that moves a lot of air at 120v.  Most HF compressors are great for nail guns and low consumption/low duty cycle tools.  There is no substitute for SCFM.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got one I've been using for light duty a few times a month for the past 5 or 6 years that still runs fine.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FIFY.

View Quote

Like a lot of stuff made in China, you can figure that about 20% of a particular product is going to be very bad, and 10% is going to be very good.  The remaining 70% is going to be serviceable, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Keep in mind a lot of the stuff that HF uses, other brands use as their cheaper offering as well. There is no harbor freight compressor factory in china, rather just a factory where multiple companies buy shit. This usually results in a different coat of paint and stickers between the brands. HF typically sells their crap for less than a more name brand company selling the same POS with a different coat of paint.

If it isn't seeing heavy use, you'll be alright.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#35]
i have the 10gal picked it up open box for almost nothing works great no issues
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Lowe's has the bostich 6 gallon 150 psi on sale for $169

Txl
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lowe's has the bostich 6 gallon 150 psi on sale for $169

Txl
View Quote

I've found compressors with that small of a tank to really only be useful for nailers.  They run constantly with impact guns and air ratchets.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#38]
I looked at them when I was entertaining the idea of running a soda blaster to clean my suppressor.  After looking at the specs I saw that very few would be up to the task.  I still might pick one up for small stuff at home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I have the 10 years ago model of that compressor. It works good enough. It is slow and loud, but it is worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#40]
I have the one in the link, I've had it a couple of years.  It's loud as all hell, but it's been a good compressor for weekend auto repair and similar stuff.

The manager at my store had a coupon code for $149 and he was offering it to anyone who bought the warranty and the good compressor oil.  It wound up bringing the cost back up to what it would have been with the $179 coupon.  It's worth asking if you buy that compressor.

Drain the crap oil that's in it out after about a 30 minute break in period and put good oil in.

Most of the noise is intake, I know a guy who plumbed the intake using PVC pipe outside his garage and I read online that another guy used an car airbox and plumbed it into that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:12:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Mine works OK but it leaks out the air when shut down.  Chasing the leak is too much trouble.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Need a new air compressor.  Just so happens Harbor Freight seems to have a bunch on sale this weekend.  It will not see heavy duty use at all, just the occasional air tool when working on a car but even then pretty light duty.

Seems like it might be worth a shot at $155.

one on sale this weekend
View Quote

Yes it will work, Lowe's and a few other retailers sell the same one rebranded and mine has run well for the last 4 years and the same model.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:13:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got this on sale for $99 and it's awesome: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-TA-2530B/202564847

I don't trust HF stuff...
View Quote

Do you realize both compressors were most likely manufactured in the same factory in China?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#46]
My experience with HF tools is, they work fine, but have a shorter life span.

Sad but true, but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#47]
have one like the OP linked in my garage the last 5 years.  use it all the time for car stuff or just cleaning things with the air.
if it shit the bed now I would not care. just go get another.  I keep it full of oil and drain it often.  no issues.  just keeps going as needed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I've had the linked compressor for 10 years.  It works good for light duty use.  Mine has run hundreds, if not thousands of hours, and still works ok.  I know it ran for twenty-ish hours straight with no load once.  I've never changed the oil, just drained the water from the tank occasionally.

It's really loud though.  I've had to replace the wheels, the shitty regulator that came on it, and the pressure switch.  When it finally dies, I'll probably buy another HF compressor to replace it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My experience with HF tools is, they work fine, but have a shorter life span.

Sad but true, but you get what you pay for.
View Quote

Buy the lifetime warranty.  Change it whenever it breaks.  Win and save a lot of money.

I did this with the Rotary tools /Dremel.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top