Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome setup, badass equipment, superior community effort. More updates to drool over por favor?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome setup, badass equipment, superior community effort. More updates to drool over por favor?
View Quote

oh yeah, regular moose season hasn't even started yet.. we haven't even started cutting on the hanging caribou, 1 of the boys out hunting comes back tomorrow and he has 2 caribou for sure and hopefully another moose, my son is headed up monday to meet the hunter still up there to go hunt all week, then next weekend 3 or 4 are headed into another of our spots..so lots of action for a while..season ends on set 20th .. then we still have steaks and stuff to cut on the aged meat..it will be a while..kind of surprised no one has bagged a nice bear yet either....
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That is an awesome setup. I do it on a much smaller scale with a few whitetail every year. I can see where it would be nice to get a whole group together to process caribou and moose. That is a lot of meat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is an awesome setup. I do it on a much smaller scale with a few whitetail every year. I can see where it would be nice to get a whole group together to process caribou and moose. That is a lot of meat.
View Quote

Its hard work for sure, my body is broke to shit right now so I don't do much, trim some meat, sit there and feed a grinder for a little while.. normally I hunt, I try to be out in the woods for the entire season, but can't do that right now...but its a busy process, but its not bad 3-4 nights a week, then back out on the weekends for more hunting is what most of the guys do.. with the main hunters doing a 1-2 weeks stint in prime time plus weekends....I am surprised at the women folks..most have never hunted and they enjoy going and shooting..they just don't care for the gutting part..., so soon as you start on the gutting you send them off 20 yards to pick blue berries and keep a lookout for bears....
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't want to seem too ignorant but do you pack & eat bear?  What's it like?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't want to seem too ignorant but do you pack & eat bear?  What's it like?
View Quote

I've only eaten blackbear, and its good, can be a little greasy.. my buddy eats brown/grizzly as well but only when fresh from the den or late season right before denning up..both because they arnt on a meat diet which he says make them not worth eating..but when they haven't eaten at all or just been on berries they taste good....big thing with bears in the old days was warm hides for clothing/bedding and fat to melt down for lighting.....

Spring time grizzly..he squared 9'2"....my first bear........

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Great post OP.  Probably the best I've seen in a long time.  One of my goals is to be able to process my own game animals.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great post OP.  Probably the best I've seen in a long time.  One of my goals is to be able to process my own game animals.
View Quote

Thank you, Figure with the way things are going sooner or later the good citizens of this country are going to need to relearn these skills... figured a picture thread about it might help...might have to do one on trapping to...someday....
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
MMMMMEAT!!!
Nice work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
When the shit hits the fan ya'll  won't notice .  We used to do the same but my father and all his friends passed we have kinda let it go since he died in 08

Have all the equipment still and the knowledge still.

Great thread
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you, Figure with the way things are going sooner or later the good citizens of this country are going to need to relearn these skills... figured a picture thread about it might help...might have to do one on trapping to...someday....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to see some trapping pics from up there.  Please share if you run a line this year.

I'm sure the trapping up in AK is awesome compared to what we have down here in AL.  I mainly trap coons, coyotes, grey/red fox, and bobcat, with a little bit of otter and beaver.  Would love to get a lynx, wolverine and badger.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would love to see some trapping pics from up there.  Please share if you run a line this year.

I'm sure the trapping up in AK is awesome compared to what we have down here in AL.  I mainly trap coons, coyotes, grey/red fox, and bobcat, with a little bit of otter and beaver.  Would love to get a lynx, wolverine and badger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't run the line since this wreck 2.5 yrs ago..but yeah,its fun... don't have much for pics on here, but heres a few...

A couple of alpha male wolves....

Male wolverine.......

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks OP. your community is to be admired.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you, but I don't know about  that admired part, we are all just a bunch of honest hard working people trying to enjoy life and share it...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#15]
How big is a moose ribeye? (how big around, I know you can cut it as thick as you want)

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#16]
How does moose and caribou meat compair to beef flavor wise?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How big is a moose ribeye? (how big around, I know you can cut it as thick as you want)

View Quote

Normally we cut one moose into t-bones and porterhouses, and  the next gets backstrap and tenderloins(a lot of guys like them that way).. so we don't cut rib eyes per sae... but heres some porterhouses.....

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How does moose and caribou meat compair to beef flavor wise?
View Quote

properly cared for, moose has almost no gamey too it, caribou very little... I've only had elk once but I thought moose was far better, and I prefer good moose over chain store beef(I grew up on raised beef).. venison is way gamey too me,  and the best i have tastied meat wise besides the beef grandpa raised was dahl sheep..thats good stuff......
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its hard work for sure, my body is broke to shit right now so I don't do much, trim some meat, sit there and feed a grinder for a little while.. normally I hunt, I try to be out in the woods for the entire season, but can't do that right now...but its a busy process, but its not bad 3-4 nights a week, then back out on the weekends for more hunting is what most of the guys do.. with the main hunters doing a 1-2 weeks stint in prime time plus weekends....I am surprised at the women folks..most have never hunted and they enjoy going and shooting..they just don't care for the gutting part..., so soon as you start on the gutting you send them off 20 yards to pick blue berries and keep a lookout for bears....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 of us broke down and processed a cow elk last year in an afternoon. It was about the same as a whitetail but on a much larger scale. I can only imagine the work involved in a moose or caribou. With any luck next month I will be breaking down at least one elk, maybe a few mulies. Good luck on the remainder of your season.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

4 of us broke down and processed a cow elk last year in an afternoon. It was about the same as a whitetail but on a much larger scale. I can only imagine the work involved in a moose or caribou. With any luck next month I will be breaking down at least one elk, maybe a few mulies. Good luck on the remainder of your season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, and good luck on yours as well..i will be expecting to see some pics posted...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:25:15 AM EDT
[#21]
More meat taken care of tonite,we decided since there will be 8 hunters out this weekend to go ahead and process the 4 moose rear quarters we have been aging..so tonite we started that process,since the hunters had scarfed up most of the backstrap off these during the hunt, these were just stripped down for cuttable steaks and roast with the rest being ground for burger..so no T-bones or porterhouses...but some nice butterfly cut tenderloins,   top round steaks and such...

Cutters doing what they do.....

The meat being removed from the bones, the outside "skin" is normal and protects the meat  until processing, it is carefully trimmed away after deboning...

This is what the meat looks like after getting mostly cleaned up......

Meat divided by use, meat on the left will be cut into steaks,roast, and stew meat, meat on the right will be ground for bacon burger...

Moose tenderloin steaks....good stuff......

We have gotten 2 caribou done, but still have a bunch to do..hopefully most will be done before friday.....

The rack off one of the caribou, it was a prime age caribou with bad genetics so it was taken to stop the genetics...

this is what a nice rack should look like....

Caribou scapula's after cleaning....

My buddy is going to build a wind chime from most of these scapula's..we also use them for working bull moose....

Thats where we stand tonite..still have tons to get ton before the weekend, with 8+ hunters out we should have more meat next week....
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#22]
We try not to waste anything, so even the hides are saved..A big bull we will take the time to take the cape, they can be sold/traded to  taxidermy shops for work..There is actually a pretty good demand for them since most people have no clue how to deal with one in the field and many that are saved end up slipping hair due to lack of proper care... so if someone is doing a shoulder mount on his trophy and he didn't salvage his or it slipped the hair, these ones become worth salvaging... we also salvage the  main square of hide for local native art makers, they will trade labor out when we need something made such as hats/gloves/coats/boots..... so  here's the hide from one of the bulls, already trimmed, fleshed,salted and dried..will keep fine until needed for a project....

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn, impressive
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#24]
You had me in the beginning with Chorizo - need to google terrazzo.

BUT BACON BURGER???  Oh, so much win for OP!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#25]
That is really an awesome setup. Thanks for the pictorial. Having the right equipment, know how and good people you can really get stuff done.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I suddenly feel somewhat inadequate as it relates to my game processing skills.  A couple deer a year and a few batches of jerky seemed like quite the challenge for me.  Now I see it isn't even on the map.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You had me in the beginning with Chorizo - need to google terrazzo.

BUT BACON BURGER???  Oh, so much win for OP!
View Quote

It's my favorite besides fresh cut porterhouses....normally do mine at 25% bacon..zero fat added..stuff is worth dying for......it's a toss up between a porterhouse and bacon burgers for my first dinner thread..one of these days....
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I suddenly feel somewhat inadequate as it relates to my game processing skills.  A couple deer a year and a few batches of jerky seemed like quite the challenge for me.  Now I see it isn't even on the map.
View Quote

We all started out doing it on our own, but over the years it just grew and grew, I have to admit the more its grown the easier the work load has gotten up to a point..having a big group adds all sorts of big issues of its own.. but good people working together can make it happen...My favorite part is the hunting, (don't get to do that right now but hopefully next year I will), but the meat prep is a good time as well. and its gratifying to be able to help the older people that have almost zero chance of getting meat other wise......not to mention when the young kids get to go...that too is super cool watching the wonder in their eyes the first time they pick a bull out in the brush, or first time they get to pull a trigger on a big game animal...its an awesome time for sure....
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice operation.

I have the same air compressor.

You really should consider putting the covers back on your breaker panels.  That would be a fire hazard.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice operation.

I have the same air compressor.

You really should consider putting the covers back on your breaker panels.  That would be a fire hazard.
View Quote

Lol. its my buddies house, the garage is currently his kitchen due to a complete remodel of the downstairs living area(its completely gutted including wiring/insulation) anyway 4 of the guys that are part of the group  are pro electricians...anyway, at least one of them has been running new wire every night..he has a temp box located inside the house right now that powers everything in the garage until the wiring is done...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I will fess up,  I have meat envy
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All personal.... we should get 6-10 caribou and 6 -10 moose this year...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's awesome is this just for personal consumption or are you processing meat for buisiness?

All personal.... we should get 6-10 caribou and 6 -10 moose this year...

Nice!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I'm certainly impressed!

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you, but I don't know about  that admired part, we are all just a bunch of honest hard working people trying to enjoy life and share it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the admirable part!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#35]
OK, back at it last night.... only 2 of us, we started cutting up caribou.........

front quarter........

And whats left after you get all the meat off....

2 front quarters produced aprox. 53 pds. of grindable meat..so tonite all the tubbed moose and caribou will get ground into burger, should be a busy nite, almost 150 pds total to grind, plus more cutting........

About the only thing we don't do in house yet is hunter sticks..these we have a local place do for us......

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OK, back at it last night.... only 2 of us, we started cutting up caribou.........

front quarter........

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/IMG_0425_zpspd4gqyfc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0425_zpspd4gqyfc.jpg</a>

And whats left after you get all the meat off....

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/IMG_0428_zpsxvlzlap1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0428_zpsxvlzlap1.jpg</a>

2 front quarters produced aprox. 53 pds. of grindable meat..so tonite all the tubbed moose and caribou will get ground into burger, should be a busy nite, almost 150 pds total to grind, plus more cutting........

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/IMG_0426_zps9hrpb0f8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0426_zps9hrpb0f8.jpg</a>

About the only thing we don't do in house yet is hunter sticks..these we have a local place do for us......

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/IMG_0427_zpsoh6gt7ze.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0427_zpsoh6gt7ze.jpg</a>
View Quote

This thread DELIVERS !

Amazing stuff. Thanks again for posting / updating other pics and info OP
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Awesome job OP!
Man that meat looks good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn nice set-up.

Where's the cardboard and blood?

Been to warm and it's a long ways to federal land for moose.

You guys save any bones for soup?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Damn nice set-up.

View Quote

I havent, but one of the guys grabbed some the other night...we do cut them up for doggy treats.....

when do you guys start?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I havent, but one of the guys grabbed some the other night...we do cut them up for doggy treats.....

when do you guys start?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn nice set-up.

when do you guys start?
Federal is open right now.

We will have a short 7 day hunt or when count hits 155 moose. Starts the 1st.

Relatives and friends keep wanting me to go L yukon but with the new baby i cannot go this year.

Maybe this winter if there is snow and we get a new snogo.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#41]
What kind of grinder is that op?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

LEM brand, if I remember right its a model 32..we have 2 of them, the other one had the mixer hooked up to it in the pics...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Relatives and friends keep wanting me to go L yukon but with the new baby i cannot go this year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn nice set-up.

when do you guys start?

I hear you, with me being all banged up from this wreck , I didn't go again this year..praying I get to next year...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

LEM brand, if I remember right its a model 32..we have 2 of them, the other one had the mixer hooked up to it in the pics...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I was looking at those last night on Amazon.  I hope to make it a buy once, cry once type of thing in hopes it will last several years.  Seems I was looking at the right equipment.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks, I was looking at those last night on Amazon.  I hope to make it a buy once, cry once type of thing in hopes it will last several years.  Seems I was looking at the right equipment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, one of them is a few years old, other one was new last year, both have worked great, you can still stall them feeding frozen fat though if you cut the pieces to big, but once you figure it out its rare too...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#46]
OK, more work tonite..finished cutting up the last of the 2 moose and making bacon burger, cutting steaks, and roast......

last quarter......

Grinding burger in the back ground, weighing and bagging in the foreground.........

Second grinding......

Ready to vac pack.....

packed and ready to flatten for freezing.......

Steaks....... notice almost zero fat.. moose is extremely lean meat....

A couple of roast ready to vac pack........

And a cooler full of meat..steaks on the right, and some go home boxes of fresh burger on the left.........

All told, I think we prepared aprox. 120 pounds of bacon burger, and about 60 pounds of steaks and roast.. tomorrow all the hunters are back out in the woods, so a quiet weekend I think for us here in town..............
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Awesome thread is awesome.

Thank you for posting this!

eta.. just out of curiosity what rifle and round would you say is most common amongst your community for caribou, moose, bear?  Do most carry a handgun as backup?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:42:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Awesome thread OP.  The 1 deer and elk tag we get in WA is a far cry from the Great White North.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Awesome thread is awesome.

Thank you for posting this!

eta.. just out of curiosity what rifle and round would you say is most common amongst your community for caribou, moose, bear?  Do most carry a handgun as backup?
View Quote

In our group,  a few carry 338win mag, one carries 375 H&H,one carries 300 win mag, 2 carry 30-06... my son and I carry 300 rum, with handloads, both of us also carry G-20's in 10mm with 220 hardcast... none of the others  carry handguns, but at least one in each group carries a shotgun when on a kill and in camp at nite.......now, 3 of the guys will be sporting 300 rums next year....
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Awesome thread OP.  The 1 deer and elk tag we get in WA is a far cry from the Great White North.
View Quote

Believe it or not, most guys team up in groups of 2 to 4, they might split 2 caribou and 1 one moose between them if they are real lucky...caribou are an easy hunt when you can find the herd, other wise you may never see any... and moose..well you would think it would be pretty tough to hide a animal that can go up to 2000 pounds, stand 7 ft to the top of his shoulders, and wearing a bright white set of beacons on his head that can go to 8 ft wide.... yet you can spend a week glassing one small valley, never move, never see anything..and suddenly a big bull will step out of the brush...they are true ghost... and extremely hard to hunt...

My son is out with one of my close friends right now, tomorrow will be day 4, they haven't seen any moose(in one of our best spots no less), saw one nice caribou this afternoon but couldn't get closer then 300 yards with a 40+ mph wind..so didn't take a shot....hopefully tomorrow the wind will be gone and the moose will be up....
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top