Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/21/2015 4:32:06 AM EDT
Well, it's that time of year again, the boys  are out hunting..some of the first meat got cut up tonite..first haul 2 caribou, and 2 any bull moose..

our meat cooler for hanging meat in...

one moose and one caribou that just got hung....

smaller cooler for long  term aging....

part  of our group cutting meat..this is all moose being cut......

close up of the cutting..this stuff will all be ground up for burger, terrazzo and sausage.. which will start happening tomorrow nite...

Tomorrow nite I will get some pics of the meat grinders, at least one of the  vacuum packers, and maybe the meat saw..but that might have to wait until we cut steaks.... who else has meat coming in?.. boys had 2 more caribou  hanging at camp when they called earlier..hoping they  got at least 1 moose tonite but no word yet.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome is this just for personal consumption or are you processing meat for buisiness?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's awesome is this just for personal consumption or are you processing meat for buisiness?
View Quote

All personal.... we should get 6-10 caribou and 6 -10 moose this year...
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow how many persons are in your family?  

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya'll must be hungry.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just a family..but family and friends..we team up ..makes the whole process easier/cheaper.. basically we number  30 people and the ages range from 4  to 80....on a normal year everyone will end up with enough meat to last till next year....works out good because some have no desire to hunt, some don't like to process, some can't do anything at all, so it is a way to get everyone some quality meat...
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not just a family..but family and friends..we team up ..makes the whole process easier/cheaper.. basically we number  30 people and the ages range from 4  to 80....on a normal year everyone will end up with enough meat to last till next year....works out good because some have no desire to hunt, some don't like to process, some can't do anything at all, so it is a way to get everyone some quality meat...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes sense, was wondering because that is a metric fuckton of meat for a single household.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Caribou lives matter

.  Nice
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Hunting season just a few weeks away out here. Can't wait.

Looks awesome OP
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:28:36 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, just got home, thought I would share some more....

grinding burger which is destined to become chorizo....

just finished grinding the pork fat that we add to the meat....

Second pass to mix the fat and meat....

ready to go into the mixer....if you look close you can see the ground up jalepeno peppers...

spices.........

And mixed ready to package....

weighing up for packaging..1-1/4 pds per bag.......

the perfect tool for vacuem packing...

4 bags ready to seal....

And while those are sealing you load 4 more on the other side..... and as soon as the first side is done, you cover the second side and seal them, while they are sealing you empty and reload the first side....

once sealed you flatten the meat out inside so they stack easily....

Then you install a label and stack in a tray.....

we also did Italian sausage tonite, same process just different spices... still need to do the burger, most likely early next week, and will age the rear quarters at least another week or two before we cut steaks and roast.....

gonna have to get on some of these caribou as well, so next week will be busy........
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ll trade you pig/white tail for boo, if that’s not forbode.  Good looking operation you got going there.  I’m jelly.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn, impressive
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#13]
10/10
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#14]
nice.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn, impressive
View Quote

Yet somewhat creepy, at least the hanging parts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’ll trade you pig/white tail for boo, if that’s not forbode.  Good looking operation you got going there.  I’m jelly.

View Quote

Just might be interested..give us some time to get everything shot and processed and see what we have...might be a month or so.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
10/10
View Quote

I will have to do a dinner pic  one of these days....never done one before...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, impressive

Creepy .. you no like super tasty, super healthy meat..  is good stuff, I promise.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow. What a fantastic way to do things. I am envious.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Not gonna lie.  All that delicious meat and equipment has given me wood.

Well do OP
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome that you network it so well and take care of so many different people

Thanks for posting ( and very impressive operation by the way )
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not just a family..but family and friends..we team up ..makes the whole process easier/cheaper.. basically we number  30 people and the ages range from 4 to 80....on a normal year everyone will end up with enough meat to last till next year....works out good because some have no desire to hunt, some don't like to process, some can't do anything at all, so it is a way to get everyone some quality meat...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just a family..but family and friends..we team up ..makes the whole process easier/cheaper.. basically we number  30 people and the ages range from 4 to 80....on a normal year everyone will end up with enough meat to last till next year....works out good because some have no desire to hunt, some don't like to process, some can't do anything at all, so it is a way to get everyone some quality meat...

Yeah, it seems unlikely that a 4 year old would be able to pack a moose out of the bush that they had hunted.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#23]
As a shitty hunter with an average dinner pic GPA of 0.0, what exactly is the point of hanging the meat for an extended period of time? Does it reduce the gamey flavor, or make it more tender, or what? I've never had a place to try it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Heck yeah!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome pics
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10/10

What are you talking about? You just posted like 10 dinner pics
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As a shitty hunter with an average dinner pic GPA of 0.0, what exactly is the point of hanging the meat for an extended period of time? Does it reduce the gamey flavor, or make it more tender, or what? I've never had a place to try it.

View Quote

Both.. Although in my honest opinion how the meat is handled from before you shoot until its cut all combine to the flavor and toughness... shooting a bull who is rutting hard(while actively trying to get some), or who has been spooked and chased makes for super gamey meat.. that surprise kill when they have no clue anything is around while they are all relaxed is the best kill... once down, getting the hide off to get the heat out of the meat quick is important as is making sure nothing from the guts contacts any meat or gear(knifes/tarp).. eliminating all hair  and dirt/leaves from contact with the meat is  priority one, as well as making sure bugs/birds/small animals can't touch the meat.. keeping the meat hung in a cool dry place with no sun on it is important as well.. and when transporting it making sure the heat from the vehicle isn't getting near the meat....
Hanging the meat for at least 2 weeks at 38 to 45 degree is critical for the enzymes to break down the meat and allow the  bones to impart all their flavor into the meat..we strive for 42 degrees and 21 to 40 days hang time, but its not always easy to do that with so many animals coming thru..course the big takedown cooler really helps with that now, if we pack it up tight while allowing air space we can fit 6-8 moose and 6-8 caribou quarters in it...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
10/10

lol..there was 50 pds each of chorizo and Italian that we did last night.. great stuff...very tasty...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, it seems unlikely that a 4 year old would be able to pack a moose out of the bush that they had hunted.
View Quote

I have a friend who's 7 year old daughter hiked up a mountain with him and took a beautful full curl ram years ago... you should see her hunt today....she intimidates most boys......
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#31]
MMMMMMMMMMmmm! Getting hungry....

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Would consume.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Yum, yum, yum!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Do you freeze the Chorizo?

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#35]
OP has a real community.  Only civilized people can make that work. I'm Jealous.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you freeze the Chorizo?

View Quote

YES, we flash freeze it with dry ice.. then into the freezer it goes ..we stack it  all up until we have no room for it, then divide it up amongst everyone ..then start the process over again...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#37]
That is awesome.  My uncle has a walk in smokehouse. I would love to have something like that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP has a real community.  Only civilized people can make that work. I'm Jealous.
View Quote

This winter we are building a new fish wheel for the river..its a lot of work, due to the size of it and how it has to get to where its going...but hopefully we can  pull a couple hundred salmon with it over a weekend.. love smoked salmon..good stuff...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a friend who's 7 year old daughter hiked up a mountain with him and took a beautful full curl ram years ago... you should see her hunt today....she intimidates most boys......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprised, but what about the 4 year old?

Ptarmigan wing-shots at least, right?

That's a really nice processing set up you have.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That is awesome.  My uncle has a walk in smokehouse. I would love to have something like that.
View Quote

Thats not a smokehouse..its a cooler..in 65-70 degree weather it holds the meat at 40-45 degrees depending on how full it is....it pops right apart  with 1/4 turn fasteners.. it used to be a huge drive in cooler that we made into 3 smaller coolers.. we sold the biggest one, this is the medium one which we use in town and we have a smaller one to take to camp..but we haven't yet..too busy....
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#41]
God, moose meat is so delicious!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, all the kids have been shooting ptarmigan by 4-5 ..including  this one...he will most likely get a shot at a boo, within the next 3 years.. oh and we try not to have to pack animals..buggies/boats/wheelers work just fine...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, all the kids have been shooting ptarmigan by 4-5 ..including  this one...he will most likely get a shot at a boo, within the next 3 years.. oh and we try not to have to pack animals..buggies/boats/wheelers work just fine...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That vacuum sealer is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
You are living the dream! My dream!

The concept of sharing the load is foreign to some of the more survivalist types. But it is how you survive in the long run. Everyone has something to provide and the combination of the whole makes everyone better people.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Costco in Alaska has Kirkland signature 'Costco' beer ??

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That vacuum sealer is awesome.
View Quote

Yes it is..we have 2 of them, bought the pair of them for 500.00, both worked but the lids were cracked/broken up where the seal sets..a little stainless welding/grinding and all new seals and they are good to go...the other one needs some fine tuning still (its quite the process getting everything adjusted just right as far as the heat elements, the hold down bars,  and the lid lining up perfect on both sides..but awesome machines..
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0404_zpseuzex7bk.jpg
View Quote

Yes..but normally this guy drinks molson ice from a keg..built into an old fridge..you can see it in the back ground..its the smaller one on the left on the back wall...right over the shoulder of the guy in orange

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes..but normally this guy drinks molson ice from a keg..built into an old fridge..you can see it in the back ground..its the smaller one on the left on the back wall...right over the shoulder of the guy in orange

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/IMG_0319_zps8a8o4rem.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0319_zps8a8o4rem.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0404_zpseuzex7bk.jpg

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/IMG_0319_zps8a8o4rem.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0319_zps8a8o4rem.jpg</a>

I honestly didn't even know Kirkland / Costco beer even existed ?

Never went looking for it ... but I regularly cruise the beer aisles at all my local Costcos loading up and thought I would have at least SEEN it on the pallets or something ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I honestly didn't even know Kirkland / Costco beer even existed ?

Never went looking for it ... but I regularly cruise the beer aisles at all my local Costcos loading up and thought I would have at least SEEN it on the pallets or something ?
View Quote

I have seen it in there before(I rarely drink so not up on whats what anymore)..pretty sure he always makes sure his keg is dry when we do these big get together because the boys will empty a new keg in a nite if he didn't..(yes ..they have done that several times)....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top