BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotcha, thank you for posting.

If your SB-600 speedlight is indeed toast you are welcome to borrow mine if you need one for an upcoming shoot. I can drop it in the mail tomorrow. My collection of lenses is modest but I do have a couple of decent short zooms and a good 50mm. Just say the word.
View Quote

I appreciate it but my photography is more or less on standby for a while. I got lots of other shit to deal with.

I might get out and shoot stuff later this week or on the weekend just to blow off some steam, though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Put a little in for the cause. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
payday tag.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
$87 brother. Good luck getting things back together.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like I have several more big damn heroes to tally up when I get home. Another attempt at working in the house until it gets too hot. Investigator comes tomorrow around lunch. Thanks to everyone that has helped, and to those of you who will. It is very appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Up to 29 Big Damn Heroes.

I located the P22 and it's can. I think it may be dead. The slide on the P22 does not move freely anymore, and if the heat was bad enough to do that, I'm suspicious of the can as well.

Surefire can still MIA, I'm thinking I might be able to find it tomorrow.

I've got a few pics on my point and shoot, I'll get them up later.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bump
View Quote

It's stickyed, so bumping doesn't not apply. (But posting does get it on the active threads list.)((Or so I've heard.))
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
We've just hit 30 big damn heroes.

Thanks to everyone that is helping. Every bit is appreciated and will make a difference!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a few pics from a camera slightly better than the phone potato.

Wall where the fire started:

Door leading outside, about 6 feet away from where the fire started:

This was the control pad for the central heat/ac, about 5 feet over and 5 feet up from the source:

One slightly tarnished AR wrench, truth is it handled being right by the fire like a trooper:

A slightly soot covered and moderately squiggly 55" flatscreen:

This is the outlet the fan was plugged into. The fire investigator says despite its damaged exterior appearance, the guts are ok so the fire didn't start here:

Here's all that's left of the fan. Half of the cage, and the motor (which doesn't rotate anymore - a clue):

Now with 100% more ceiling and roof holes:

Remember the door earlier? This is what the other side looks like.

This door was in the next room over.

This picture contains part of a camera tripod, what used to be a GREAT steel toed boot, and bits of a computer that seems to have exploded for some reason:

This window unit was nowhere near the fire, yet it still got melted to fuck:

And...the p22 locked open. I had to really yank on it to get the action to open, and to close it required a pretty good smack. Methinks it's fucked.

Thank you again to all the big damn heroes who have donated, and those of you who are planning to become a big damn hero!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Back at the house. Sitting outside a while to let it air out before I get in there and get back to work. Insurance guy is supposed to be here around noon.

Now for the not so good part of the update.
I'm not going to name names, but anyone that looked at the gofundme knows that I didn't post anything about the location or even my full name on there.

I received a threatening email from the gofundme contact form yesterday. The person that sent it not only knew my whole name but where I live and what happened here.

Not going to say it was an arfcom member, but knowing that I have only posted the link here, it makes me wonder.

The person I am speaking of was requesting a change in the narrative "or else" . I generally don't respond well to threats, but truthfully I have enough shit to deal with so I made a minor adjustment to the story to get him to back off. Apparently it was his lack of reading skill that led to the misunderstanding. After the edit, he sent another email, he didn't apologize for the threats but did admit to the misunderstanding. I'm calling it a win.

Either way, the guy is either a member here or someone here showed him the link.

Not cool.

I'm not ratting him out and giving a very general version of events because it's over and done with but come on. I just lost my house. Threats? Really? That's exactly the sort of thing I need right now. Thanks a lot.

Again I'd like to thank all of the big damn heroes who have stepped up to help me out, and those of you who will soon join them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear about the fire and sorry to hear someone is being a dick.

Am I right in understanding that you did not have homeowners insurance? just the private mortgage insurance required by the lender for certain loans (that pays the lender not the homeowner)?
View Quote

That is correct. I was not aware of the difference at the time.

You can get insurance or we will get it for you.

No mention of the difference was made.

Hence me not only being an idiot for not researching this further, but it also led to me being financially fucked. Just how fucked remains to be seen. I'll know in a few hours.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Insurance guy just left.

I don't really have any new information yet. Gonna have to wait for the final report, probably a week or two.

I suspect the damage will run up to the coverage limit and possibly exceed it.

I just won't know for a while.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The insurance they "obtain for you" is only going to pay off the mortgage.  That's it.  They obtain insurance when the mortgagee fails to do so--but NOT as a "helpful gesture to save you the trouble."  They are protecting THEMSELVES in case of the property's destruction, as people won't make payments once the house is gone.  It is NOT for your benefit, and will not pay you anything.  You pay for it as part of the contract, but you are basically paying twice as much for half the insurance.  You might as well plan on that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Insurance guy just left.

I don't really have any new information yet. Gonna have to wait for the final report, probably a week or two.

I suspect the damage will run up to the coverage limit and possibly exceed it.

I just won't know for a while.

The insurance they "obtain for you" is only going to pay off the mortgage.  That's it.  They obtain insurance when the mortgagee fails to do so--but NOT as a "helpful gesture to save you the trouble."  They are protecting THEMSELVES in case of the property's destruction, as people won't make payments once the house is gone.  It is NOT for your benefit, and will not pay you anything.  You pay for it as part of the contract, but you are basically paying twice as much for half the insurance.  You might as well plan on that.  

I'm fairly confident that the damage that happened will at least rate to pay off the remaining balance.

If that's the case and I own it free and clear, I'll strip it and sell it as-is to a house flipper, or bulldoze it and sell the land.

Where I'm really going to run into trouble is if the damage doesn't quite reach the loan balance, or there's some sort of clause that says I have to rebuild the house or something along those lines. Then I'm really screwed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]
$75 sent to you.  Hope it helps.  If you need anything else, send me a PM.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I checked into getting one of those construction style dumpsters delivered. I think it would make the cleanup easier.

625 bucks for a 30 foot long one, delivered. I can keep it for 2 weeks, put anything in there that will fit, and they will come haul it away.

Sound like a good deal?

I think so because aside from appliances and furniture there's a lot of general all around trash that can be dealt with.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, although, I would go through things first to see what you want to salvage first before loading the dumpster.  I would be willing to bet that a majority of the furniture is trash too.

Any luck on finding that other can?
View Quote

Not yet. After the insurance guy left I just wanted to get out of there. I'll swing by there in a bit and poke around for a few.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#23]
zack idk if you posted your location but im in pa and have a friend with a dumpster business. if your close im sure he would help out
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
zack idk if you posted your location but im in pa and have a friend with a dumpster business. if your close im sure he would help out
View Quote

South Louisiana.

I think this one will work out OK. Probably get it here Monday or Tuesday and start emptying out the house. I can't touch the structure but all contents are allowed to be removed now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I checked into getting one of those construction style dumpsters delivered. I think it would make the cleanup easier.

625 bucks for a 30 foot long one, delivered. I can keep it for 2 weeks, put anything in there that will fit, and they will come haul it away.

Sound like a good deal?

I think so because aside from appliances and furniture there's a lot of general all around trash that can be dealt with.

Thoughts?
View Quote

How many cubic yards is the dumpster? Can you find out?
A normal C&D dumpster is a lot cheaper than that, but I am sure you're gonna pay more because you'll be throwing out household items, not just C&D materials.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A normal C&D dumpster is a lot cheaper than that, but I am sure you're gonna pay more because you'll be throwing out household items, not just C&D materials.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sound like a good deal?

Thoughts?

I misunderstood the guy when I was talking to him on the phone. I just looked at their website.

It's a 30 yard dumpster, 22 feet long.

I think it's a little bigger than what I need but better too big than too small.

Parents might find some stuff they wanna sling in there as well, so it won't go to waste if it is too big.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#27]
You will be surprised on how much waste you will generate during the clean up.

sheetrock

burnt lumber

flooring insulation

damaged plumbing

doors

rugs

flooring

clothing

appliances

Cleaning materials

siding

The list will grow really fast.

Packaging of replacement materials

new Appliances

new flooring

New fixtures

new door and accessories

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
The whole point of the shit insurance that the mortgage company had is to pay off the mortgage, so you really shouldn't have anything to pay...  And depending on your state laws and the final numbers, I'd just walk anyway.

The .22 can should be fine with a good cleaning.  That fire wasn't that hot. (didn't melt the solder on the circuit board in your thermostat)

If your description of what you were told by your lender is accurate about the insurance, I would also consider contacting a lawyer.  I don't know if it will do you any good, but you were fucked royally on that.  Every closing I've been to they clearly lay out the difference.

ETA:  This has been said a few times, but you seem to be missing it...

Insurance won't pay you shit.  You won't see a single dollar.  The lender was the insured, not you.  I don't know if that means you own the raw property now or not.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The whole point of the shit insurance that the mortgage company had is to pay off the mortgage, so you really shouldn't have anything to pay...  And depending on your state laws and the final numbers, I'd just walk anyway.

The .22 can should be fine with a good cleaning.  That fire wasn't that hot. (didn't melt the solder on the circuit board in your thermostat)

If your description of what you were told by your lender is accurate about the insurance, I would also consider contacting a lawyer.  I don't know if it will do you any good, but you were fucked royally on that.  Every closing I've been to they clearly lay out the difference.

ETA:  This has been said a few times, but you seem to be missing it...

Insurance won't pay you shit.  You won't see a single dollar.  The lender was the insured, not you.  I don't know if that means you own the raw property now or not.
View Quote

I'm not counting on receiving money from them. I am somewhat gambling on them paying off the remaining balance of the mortgage.

That's why the guys convinced me to start up this thread. To help out where the insurance won't. And it will help. A lot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I misunderstood the guy when I was talking to him on the phone. I just looked at their website.

I think it's a little bigger than what I need but better too big than too small.

Parents might find some stuff they wanna sling in there as well, so it won't go to waste if it is too big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sound like a good deal?

Thoughts?

It will get filled up. As soon as your neighbours see that dumpster roll of the back of the truck, it will be like free dump day.
Something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It will get filled up. As soon as your neighbours see that dumpster roll of the back of the truck, it will be like free dump day.
View Quote

Kinda thin on neighbors in these parts, and they'd be doing some pretty hardcore trespassing to get to it.

I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Kinda thin on neighbors in these parts, and they'd be doing some pretty hardcore trespassing to get to it.

I'm not worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.

I had some asshole just throw a mattress on my front yard when I had a roll-off.  Didn't even bother to put it in the bin.  Just punted it in my yard.

Glad you have some property.

If they pay it off, and you are considering bulldozing it.....consider the fact that buying property without a structure on it is harder for buyers who do not have the capital to put a considerable down payment, whereas property with a structure can be had with the normal downpayment.

At least that's what my realtor said when we were considering buying land and building (he's a family friend, so I doubt that he'd lie to us).
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I had some asshole just throw a mattress on my front yard when I had a roll-off.  Didn't even bother to put it in the bin.  Just punted it in my yard.

If they pay it off, and you are considering bulldozing it.....consider the fact that buying property without a structure on it is harder for buyers who do not have the capital to put a considerable down payment, whereas property with a structure can be had with the normal downpayment.

At least that's what my realtor said when we were considering buying land and building (he's a family friend, so I doubt that he'd lie to us).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.

The question is does this apply to burned out shells?

If so, that's a point in favor of not bulldozing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.

An unguarded dumpster attracts more FSA than an obamaphone kiosk.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not worried.

I think you are right about that but I'm pretty well insulated from that 'element' as it were.

Still, won't hurt to keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Imjust saw this, so forgive me.  Would you mind posting your insurance company?  Lot of us mil use USAA or Navy Federal, etc, for insurance.  It might help others down the road if we can see where your policy failed you.

Your call... I can understand if you dont want to publically belittle/slander.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Imjust saw this, so forgive me.  Would you mind posting your insurance company?  Lot of us mil use USAA or Navy Federal, etc, for insurance.  It might help others down the road if we can see where your policy failed you.

View Quote

This is something I have considered, but I think it best to leave that part alone until after everything's dealt with.

Trying to keep the boat rocking to a minimum, as one might say.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is something I have considered, but I think it best to leave that part alone until after everything's dealt with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood.  Also finally read the second page.  Have to make sure I have the right policy...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Zack, if you end up renting somewhere, don't forget to get renters insurance. I can't tell you how many people I know who don't have it. I have a basic $25K policy from State Farm that runs about $130 a year.  I keep forgetting to check about replacement value
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Zack, if you end up renting somewhere, don't forget to get renters insurance. I can't tell you how many people I know who don't have it. I have a basic $25K policy from State Farm that runs about $130 a year.  I keep forgetting to check about replacement value
View Quote

I think that my experience if nothing else will hopefully remind everyone to check and double check their coverage.

Don't be like me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#41]
35 big damn heroes so far.

Plans for the upcoming week or two: rent large dumpster, clean out house, eat food at regular intervals.

Sponsored by big damn heroes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Just sent $50.  Prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Prayers for you bro...

And hit up the link.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Good luck Zack.  Here's hoping you get back up on your feet.  Living on the razor's edge, I worry about stuff like this all the time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#45]
By my count we're up to 40 big damn heroes. I am not 100% confident in that count though. It's got to be fairly close. I may have missed a paypal donation somewhere.

Thank you to all who have shown their support and those of you who are still planning to. It is greatly appreciated!

I've been thinking about the dumpster idea. As nice as it sounds to bring one in and haul out all the trash from the house, I'm thinking it might be better to wait until the insurance has completed, that way if I end up say...gutting the house I don't have to rent a second dumpster for all that stuff.

Input?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
By my count we're up to 40 big damn heroes. I am not 100% confident in that count though. It's got to be fairly close. I may have missed a paypal donation somewhere.

Thank you to all who have shown their support and those of you who are still planning to. It is greatly appreciated!

I've been thinking about the dumpster idea. As nice as it sounds to bring one in and haul out all the trash from the house, I'm thinking it might be better to wait until the insurance has completed, that way if I end up say...gutting the house I don't have to rent a second dumpster for all that stuff.

Input?
View Quote

I'd wait.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd wait too.
In the past when I needed a dumpster, and knew it was going to be more than a week, I put a big tarp down at the back of the driveway, and started piling shit up, covered it if it looked like rain.
Then had them put the dumpster near the pile, and transferred the pile in a couple of hours.  Saved a bunch, and wasn't difficult to move the stuff a few feet at my convenience.
View Quote

This is kinda what I have been doing already. There's a pile outside under the carport.

I'm fighting the urge to just "get this shit over with" rather than take it easy and handle things in a sensible manner.

I wouldn't wish this shit on anyone, I can definitely say that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#49]
well I hope that everything comes out  ok for you in the end sir....
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
well I hope that everything comes out  ok for you in the end sir....
View Quote

One way or another it will work out.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top