Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks John!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA:  Oh, just to let you know..........I'm thinking maybe the Shield nowadays might have been changed a bit as to stiff springs............it really isn't that bad on mine and the trigger isn't bad at stock either.

Magazine spring a bit stiff but not real bad IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I like how emotionally invested people get in handgun arguments. I bought my first Glock for use on the tractor, I didn't want to brushhog my CGW'd 75B. Since then I've sold everything but a G17 and a G19, I'll probably end up with a handful of 19s and that's it. To me they're utilitarian and the G19 is just a great sized handgun for all around use.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like how emotionally invested people get in handgun arguments. I bought my first Glock for use on the tractor, I didn't want to brushhog my CGW'd 75B. Since then I've sold everything but a G17 and a G19, I'll probably end up with a handful of 19s and that's it. To me they're utilitarian and the G19 is just a great sized handgun for all around use.

View Quote

Until John Wayne told me......I never realized Glocks had some serious problems when configured to use .40 S&W cartridges.

I have a couple of Glocks (19 and 20) and they are very nice but not in .40 S&W.  (The 20 is less than a year old and the 19 only 2 years old........so I am new to Glocks.)

Just never knew about the problems with .40 S&W.  

GLAD I ASKED!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Until John Wayne told me......I never realized Glocks had some serious problems when configured to use .40 S&W cartridges.

I have a couple of Glocks (19 and 20) and they are very nice but not in .40 S&W.  (The 20 is less than a year old and the 19 only 2 years old........so I am new to Glocks.)

GLAD I ASKED!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GLAD I ASKED!!

40 is stupid anyways.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Glocks have terrible triggers, slippery slides, small contact surfaces, and bend and flex with firing in a way that makes you wonder when they're going to shatter into 1 million pieces, but they don't seem to do so.
They come with garbage plastic sights and wherever the slide contacts anything but the metal frame inserts, it starts looking horrifically chewed up after a few hundred rounds.
I have described the Glock trigger in the past similar to breaking the tines on a plastic fork. Trigger pull is neither reassuring, constant with every trigger pull, nor is trigger reset anything but vague at best.
Everyone who keeps telling me how great the Glock is either gets one that is already a custom, or spends $300 to $500 making one less terrible, then compares it to guns like Sigs, HKs and CZs which they have never owned or could never figure out how to operate, but usually clsim to know the ins and outs of these guns because they saw one at a gun show once.
I have owned many Blocks, I have sold all of them except my Vickers G19.
View Quote
There is a lot of truth in this statement, but they fire 99.999% of the time you pull the trigger.  

BTW, I will disagree with your "terrible trigger" statement. It's a mediocre-average trigger, but not terrible by any means imo. BTW, G19 is my daily carry.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

40 is stupid anyways.

View Quote

Well now........I don't know if I'd go that far!!

But I am thinking I'll just go with 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]
My G19 works.
I trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#8]

So how many Nazis has it killed?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

such as...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 17 will fail often with ammo that the M&P, 226, G19 all run fine on.

such as...

such as....the g17 sufferers many fail to feed, while (M&P, Sig226, Browning BDM and G19) all run the same ammo.  

Admittedly the ammo is a bit under powdered, and the g17 will run on hotter ammo.  Its just interesting that these other guns run it but the g17 cant.  

Side note:  The HK P2000 will run it but not slide lock 100%  Kahr P9 has been 100% but will not shoot this ammo either.  My Beretta cx4 will run it without issue.

Based on my experience, I cannot agree with your "most reliable" statement.  I bought the g17, I like the g17, I just wish it shot like the g19.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And the Borchardt has been around longer than both... whats your point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1911 has been around alot longer.
Irrelevant.    

But the 1911 after 100 years is still a very popular design still being built by many companies. Very rare to achieve this. Remington pistol designs made 100 years ago are no longer made.
The only other guns I can think with this loyalty are Mauser rifles.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

So has the Colt Walker.....

Doesnt make it better......

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If we compare it to a stock G17 at least the sights don't fall off, the trigger doesn't break like a staple gun, you can do tactical reloads with a full magazine without having to push hard, and depending on which generation Glock we're comparing to you don't have to worry about it slipping out of your hand like a wet bar of soap or having to replace parts so it doesn't sling brass at your face.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you ever heard of something called a Browning Hi Power?

Let's see, stock Browning high power:

Shitty heavy trigger. Check
Shitty sights: check
Heavier: check
Less on board capacity: check
Parts replacement usually means hand fitting versus simple swap: check

The non customized BHP was a decent gun in the 1940s. It sucks by today's standards.

If we compare it to a stock G17 at least the sights don't fall off, the trigger doesn't break like a staple gun, you can do tactical reloads with a full magazine without having to push hard, and depending on which generation Glock we're comparing to you don't have to worry about it slipping out of your hand like a wet bar of soap or having to replace parts so it doesn't sling brass at your face.  

Wat
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pics of dead cop, the Glock you pulled off his body and your DD214 or it never happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used a G17 in Iraq that I got from a dead ass Iraqi cop that didn't need it anymore. I mean he was fucked up, like his upper half was gone. Still a neat gun though. My new one has an RMR on it.
http://i.imgur.com/Jvp2AmT.jpg

Pics of dead cop, the Glock you pulled off his body and your DD214 or it never happened.

This.

And who were you that you were allowed to take and carry non-issued weapon?

Also, in my AO, the IPs carried G19s...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Who cares?

They all shot 50,000 rounds plus. Plastic and metal wear out with wear.

Glock couldn't even be bothered to put the correct parts in the gun at first. Does that mean the Glock was a POS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All those terms are ridiculously loaded with subjective meaning rather than any objective quantification.

It's difficult to argue with an article of faith. Lay down some useful metrics and we'll talk.

Google glock torture test, then wonder if X handgun could take the abuse

Glock 17 Gen 4 50,000 round test (doesn't start off too well but gets better after a fix)

HK45 50,000 rounds test

HK P30 50,000 round test

M&P 50,000 round test

Springfield 1911 9mm 50,000 round test

There are plenty of handguns out there that work great and are reliable. Glock really isn't special.

LOL which one (only one) had zero parts break?

Who cares?

They all shot 50,000 rounds plus. Plastic and metal wear out with wear.

Glock couldn't even be bothered to put the correct parts in the gun at first. Does that mean the Glock was a POS?

You've been here long enough to know that fanbois will jump on anyone that brings reality into a discussion like this.

Watch them flip out and explain away how easy it is to limp wrist a glock.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My 17 will fail often with ammo that the M&P, 226, G19 all run fine on.
View Quote

How many dremel felt pads did you use on that trigger job?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#17]
All that testing and still not as good as the CZ75...

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#18]
It's easy to explain the the glock limp wrist failure.

Us fanboys jerk off to the thought of glock so much that our forearms look like Popeyes and it's simply impossible for us to limp wrist our glocks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#19]
nice going OP lol
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Wat
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The non customized BHP was a decent gun in the 1940s. It sucks by today's standards.

Wat
Glock mags are jammed so tight that it takes way more force to seat the magazine when the slide is closed.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Glock mags are jammed so tight that it takes way more force to seat the magazine when the slide is closed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat

On dear.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
JMB thinks OP is wrong.

How do we know what JMB thinks? He's dead Jim.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Discuss
View Quote
Lol nope
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine goes bang with boring reliability and I rarely have to clean it.  I'm happy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat

I don't have a problem seating a full mag on a closed slide
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lol that  Tupperware has nothing on the beretta 92 line.
View Quote

Only one thing: a consistent trigger pull.  And this is coming from a guy who carried a 92F for years on duty.  I love me some 92F, but nothing is better than having a consistent trigger pull from shot to shot, especially from the first shot to subsequent shots.  A 1911's trigger is sooooo much smoother than a Glock's, which is why the 1911 is the best pistol ever.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What a bunch of plastic humping pussies.
View Quote

Can we change that to "Humping a bunch of plastic pussies?" Because a G17 vs M1911 thread is every bit as productive as a circle jerk with fleshlights.

Note that not only do I own both Glock and 1911, but I specifically commented on low productivity while posting from work AND complained about how useless a thread is by posting in that thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Glock is Like the In-N-Out Burger of firearms

Doesn't matter how shitty of a firearm it is, people will fap to it anyway

If I walk into a gun store and they have Glock posters, banners, cleaning mats, shirts, stickers, etc plastered all over the walls and floors, I leave.

Went to a store like that to buy an M&P and the salesman kept trying to get me to buy a Glock, even after I refused to even look at one.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Meh, 19 before 17.
View Quote

This.

I like my 17s, but I shoot and carry my 19s more by a factor of probably about 8-10x.  No problems with 'em.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
JMB thinks OP is wrong.
View Quote

JMB is dead.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

1911 Guys If your sidearm is the only thing you have to set your tent stakes maybe you should be working on other things then setting up your tent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irrelevant.    

Can you drive tent stakes into hard ground with a Glock?

1911 Guys If your sidearm is the only thing you have to set your tent stakes maybe you should be working on other things then setting up your tent.

LOL, can't destroy a tent stake.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Glock owners don't have a gag reflex.
View Quote

my wife owns two Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#33]
This is going to be epic.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

JMB is dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JMB thinks OP is wrong.

JMB is dead.

A spoiler warning would be nice next time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But the 1911 after 100 years is still a very popular design still being built by many companies. Very rare to achieve this. Remington pistol designs made 100 years ago are no longer made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irrelevant.    

Doesn't mean it stands up to modern designs when you factor in more than trigger feel and width.

It loses on capacity, reliability (over the entire population of 1911's), overall quality ranges widely, weight, and cost.

I too, like the 1911 when it comes to appreciating guns.  But when it comes to USING guns for more than just range time, I'd rather have a glock.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#36]

How can you tell if someone is a Glock fanboi?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Or you could look at their shirt, hat, and probably tattoos

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Gen 3 was the pinnacle of the Glock 17.

There is a thread on TOS discussing what Glock should do for their Gen 5's.

Lots of good info and suggestions.  I'm not a Glock shooter, but what would work for me:

-Go back to 90 degree cut extractors and lower/shave the ejection port to fix the BTF issue

-Undercut the trigger housing and shave the finger grooves from the grip

-Novak/dovetail the front sight

-Front slide serrations

-Some type of of trigger block like that device that just came out that fits into the back of the slide (optional but offer it as an option)

-Larger trigger housing for those of us in cold climates that often have to wear thick gloves in public

-More beveled/opened magwell

-Single spring on the guid rod

They can keep the plastic sights (I change all my sights anyway).  Also possibly offer "Euro" style mag release and change that stupid grip angle (<<<<<main reason I'm not a Glock shooter)
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait a minute, you think In-N-Out burgers are shitty? Your credibility has been irreparably harmed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Yup pretty much OPNI. And I LOVE 1911s.

Basically, I look at it this way - let's say the world goes to shit. Like World War 3 and the Second American Civil War War of Northern Aggression at the same time. You can pick up any random Glock 17 or 19, and 99.99999999999999% of the time it will function reliably no matter the condition. You pick up some random 1911 and it'll be a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Wait a minute, you think In-N-Out burgers are shitty? Your credibility has been irreparably harmed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your from Cali...you wouldn't know what a real burger is
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Educate us Texan
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The boss's old LE issued 5906(currently a range gun) had to go back to S&W several times after only a few thousand rounds.
Also, the slide mounted safety consistently breaks off, leaving jagged ass edges to cut the living shit out of people who rent it. Always a bloody mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W 5906 over glock 17 Any day

The boss's old LE issued 5906(currently a range gun) had to go back to S&W several times after only a few thousand rounds.
Also, the slide mounted safety consistently breaks off, leaving jagged ass edges to cut the living shit out of people who rent it. Always a bloody mess.

Have a le 5906 and a le glock 17

Glock jumped and broke the locking bar .

5906 will kill a man unloaded, handles hot loads like a beast and is not choosy on ammo. I also like the mag disconnect, decock and manual safety. But that's just me .. Also somthing sexy about an all  stainless gun

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In-N-Out is firmly in the fast food category on price and speed of delivery, but the quality of what they serve beats any fast food burger I've ever had outside of small local places. Big chains? No contest.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#45]
What....the....fuck....ever
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How can you tell if someone is a Glock fanboi?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Or you could look at their shirt, hat, and probably tattoos

View Quote

This is true.

Glock fans are the obnoxious, arrogant vegans of the firearms world.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

5906 will kill a man unloaded, handles hot loads like a beast and is not choosy on ammo. I also like the mag disconnect, decock and manual safety. But that's just me .. Also somthing sexy about an all  stainless gun

http://www.imfdb.org/images/f/f1/CollateralS%26W5906-3.jpg
View Quote

Oh, yeah...

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I went with the G23. Someday I'll jump on the G19 wagon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Discuss
View Quote

Making shit up doesn't change the truth. CZ has a broader service history.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/f/f1/CollateralS%26W5906-3.jpg

Oh, yeah...

http://i57.tinypic.com/2m6pdt2.jpg
My current institution within the BOP still has DAO stainless Ruger P89's.  Those fuckers are beyond reliable for the amount of maintenance they never see.  Word is though that BOP is going to G17's as AUSP Thomson has G17's and FLETC BOP just went to 17's.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top