Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2015 12:44:26 AM EDT
Well I drove 4 hours to add a new member to our family. This is the first snake I've ever owned, and she is AWESOME. The previous owner stated she is fed 2 pinkys once per week (30 minutes apart) She is under a year old and appears to be in great health.

She's a ball python, and the owner stated she is a pastel.. which, from what I gather means she has lighter yellow, brown areas and appears faded in the darker areas...

The owner wanted $150 and I offered $110, which he accepted. He threw in her cage, pyramid hut, heat pad, stick, and heat lamp...

So snake lovers, how'd I do?

Update 1:And her first feeding at home, small mouse...

Update 2: She's really started to thrive in her new environment. Today I fed her her first adult rat(I've been feeding her small rats), and she downed it with ease.

Snake guys, how's her size look now? I think my husbandry skills have improved substancially, and I keep the warm side of the tank around 83 degrees and the humidity at 55-58 percent humidity. Shes got 2 hides now and shes laying on coconut husk. She seems very comfortable with me. My wife still hasn't touched her.

UPDATE 9.28.15

I've finally become comfortable with husbandry and ownership. I had a feeding today, and it went perfect. 3 weeks ago, I fed her a rat which I believe was too large as she skipped a week feeding, but went right back into routine for the following week. I've began feeding her in-tank and she's not missed and gotten a mouthful of coconut husk again.

I'll keep yall updated with subsequent updates
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I suspect there will be many fpnis...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#3]
What the hell are you doing OP! SHOOT IT SHOOT IT SHOOT IT WHY AREN'T YOU SHOOTING IT!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#4]
She's pretty, but then I think snakes are cool.

Why was the former owner wanting to get rid of her? How old is she?

There are a few members here who are real snake buffs; maybe they will drop in on your thread and give you some pointers. You could always search and find a few of the old snake threads here and skim through them...that will show you who the snake guys are real quick, since they have posted pics of their snakes and talked about their snakes in them. I have learned some interesting bits from those threads, at least until the spider peeps show up and start posting pics of their tarantulas, and I have to move on.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
That is a nice looking danger noodle you got there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are a few members here who are real snake buffs; maybe they will drop in on your thread and give you some pointers. You could always search and find a few of the old snake threads here and skim through them...that will show you who the snake guys are real quick, since they have posted pics of their snakes and talked about their snakes in them. I have learned some interesting bits from those threads, at least until the spider peeps show up and start posting pics of their tarantulas, and I have to move on.
View Quote

She's almost a year old.

I've read every thread ever posted about pet snakes on arfcom haha.
The guys wife just bought a cat and he said every time he has the snake out the new cat goes apeshit and tries to kill the snake... the guy nearly teared up as I got in the car to drive off.. lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh and my first question.. she seems to like hanging out near her water bowl. Not really in the water.. just around it. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh and my first question.. she seems to like hanging out near her water bowl. Not really in the water.. just around it. Is this normal?
View Quote

Congrats on your first snake! But I am going to offer you some advice. You need to change out the aspen shavings for a better substrate, such as cypress mulch or something similar. Neonates can even be kept on newspaper until they get a bit larger. These snakes need higher humidity levels and correct temperature gradients (85 degrees to 95 on one side, approximately 75 to 80 on the other, never below 75), you need two hide boxes, one on each side. In my opinion, the enclosure is too large for such a small python, and the hide box you have is too large for the snake to feel secure in. Keep the humidity between 50 to 60, it is probably too low, that is why the snake is hanging out near its water bowl. Also, it appears to be slightly emaciated....feed it soon. Change the substrate beforehand, so it doesn't swallow any of the shavings. These are the basics for good husbandry as applied to this particular species.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#9]
OP you need to borrow a shotgun for that thing?  I'm only a state over I can help you out
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Very beautiful!!!! Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Congrats on your first snake! But I am going to offer you some advice. You need to change out the aspen shavings for a better substrate, such as cypress mulch or something similar. Neonates can even be kept on newspaper until they get a bit larger. These snakes need higher humidity levels and correct temperature gradients (85 degrees to 95 on one side, approximately 75 to 80 on the other, never below 75), you need two hide boxes, one on each side. In my opinion, the enclosure is too large for such a small python, and the hide box you have is too large for the snake to feel secure in. Keep the humidity between 50 to 60, it is probably too low, that is why the snake is hanging out near its water bowl. Also, it appears to be slightly emaciated....feed it soon. Change the substrate beforehand, so it doesn't swallow any of the shavings. These are the basics for good husbandry as applied to this particular species.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. How do I keep humidity that high with a screen top? Wet towel over the top? I plan to feed her tomorrow, should I feed her fuzzy at this size?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:19:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice!  Love me some BP's!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. How do I keep humidity that high with a screen top? Wet towel over the top? I plan to feed her tomorrow, should I feed her fuzzy at this size?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can manually mist the tank once you have changed out the substrate to cypress mulch, it will hold some moisture. Also, placing the water bowl near an under-tank heater will help raise it. Hygrometers for terrariums are relatively inexpensive to monitor the levels. You can also buy auto misters to do the misting for you, but it is not necessary....part of the fun in owning such a magnificent animal is in spending a little time tending to it each day...

ETA: forgot to answer your feeding question...for such a small snake, I would advise you to not feed it a fuzzy mouse, the mouse may harm the snake. I would try either a pinky rat, or a couple of larger pinky mice, or frozen/thawed fuzzy mice (this is actually the best method if you can get the snake to eat them). The snake may not eat on the first attempt due to the stress as a result of changes in its environment, relocation etc....By nature, it is a nocturnal species, so you may have to place its food near the entrance of its hide box in the late evening, after the lights are off. Only run lights 12 on/12 off, if you choose to use them. They are not necessary though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You can manually mist the tank once you have changed out the substrate to cypress mulch, it will hold some moisture. Also, placing the water bowl near an under-tank heater will help raise it. Hygrometers for terrariums are relatively inexpensive to monitor the levels. You can also buy auto misters to do the misting for you, but it is not necessary....part of the fun in owning such a magnificent animal is in spending a little time tending to it each day...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks buddy, I do appreciate your help, and I have already added a smaller leupold box to the cage until I can get her a smaller hide.

I take it cypress retains moisture better, that'll be my next purchase.

ETA: I know it sounds like I didn't do any homework before buying her, but there's just so many more questions once you actually have her home lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:48:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice! My bumblebee BP seems interested

next on my list is a champagne

that or another borneo short tail
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks buddy, I do appreciate your help, and I have already added a smaller leupold box to the cage until I can get her a smaller hide.

ETA: I know it sounds like I didn't do any homework before buying her, but there's just so many more questions once you actually have her home lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I edited my post because I forgot to answer your feeding question...for such a small snake, I would advise you to not feed it a fuzzy mouse, the mouse may harm the snake. I would try either a pinky rat, or a couple of larger pinky mice, or frozen/thawed fuzzy mice (this is actually the best method if you can get the snake to eat them). The snake may not eat on the first attempt due to the stress as a result of changes in its environment, relocation etc....By nature, it is a nocturnal species, so you may have to place its food near the entrance of its hide box in the late evening, after the lights are off. Only run lights 12 on/12 off, if you choose to use them. They are not necessary though.

Yes, cypress mulch is naturally resistant to mold, and holds moisture well. Also, it is only a few dollars for a huge bag at Home Depot, not sure if geographical location of stores affects prices though. If you have problems getting it to eat, PM me and I can help you 'troubleshoot' it...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:53:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Thought this was going to be a Bobby Brown/Bell Biv DeVoe/DeBarge thread... Poor Johnny Gill just never reached everybody else's level of commercial success.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't think the diet he had it on was near enough.  Get it started on hoppers right away, at least a couple a week.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#19]
OK I fed the snake today for the first time. It originally wouldn't eat in its original cage so I removed it and put it into a cardboard box as a "feeder" cage.. the mouse I fed the snake went down easy, so I think pinky mice are a little small for her...

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Beautiful snake.. that grey is also very nice
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OK I fed the snake today for the first time. It originally wouldn't eat in its original cage so I removed it and put it into a cardboard box as a "feeder" cage.. the mouse I fed the snake went down easy, so I think pinky mice are a little small for her...http://i.imgur.com/G6Zgau4.jpg

View Quote

It's a good idea to feed it in another container anyway. That way the snake doesn't associate food with it's home. You're less likely to get bit that way. We feed ours in a big storage tote.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's a good idea to feed it in another container anyway. That way the snake doesn't associate food with it's home. You're less likely to get bit that way. We feed ours in a big storage tote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK I fed the snake today for the first time. It originally wouldn't eat in its original cage so I removed it and put it into a cardboard box as a "feeder" cage.. the mouse I fed the snake went down easy, so I think pinky mice are a little small for her...http://i.imgur.com/G6Zgau4.jpg

I've been reading this also but wouldn't it also be more likely to bite when transferring it back to its living quarters?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've been reading this also but wouldn't it also be more likely to bite when transferring it back to its living quarters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours hasn't. She's pretty calm anyway.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Now you're talking.  It should be ready for another one of those in about five days.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I figured it'd be either a really pretty python or a Taurus Judge.

Congrats OP, that's a beautiful snake!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Did you name it Bell, Biv or Devoe?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry laggy double tap
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Op are you an inky too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That snake appears to be smaller in the first photos, but seeing it eat that mouse puts some perspective on its true size. You got past the first hurdle, and Windustsearch is offering good advice about feeding it the same size meal every 5-6 days. Looks like you got a great snake from that deal....now you just have to worry about where you are going to put your next terrarium

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't think the diet he had it on was near enough.  Get it started on hoppers right away, at least a couple a week.
View Quote

Ball python hatchlings straight out of the egg are started on mouse hoppers.  At a year old it should at least be on weanling rats if not smalls.

Your snake is thin for a ball python, which isn't surprising if it's been getting nothing but pinkies all of its life.  Take advantage and convert it over to frozen/thaw feeders rather than live.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.
People with large collections feed in the enclosure because moving dozens if not hundreds of snakes is a time-consuming PITA.
People with large constrictors feed in the enclosure because moving a hungry 15+ foot snake that weighs more than you do is asking for an ER visit.  These guys can stay "foody" for more than 24 hours after eating.
People with venomous snakes feed in the enclosure because moving a foody venomous critter is a good way to get dead.

People with one snake feed in a separate box due to the cage aggression myth.  It's bad for the snake and can cause a stress regurgitation.  Finally, ball pythons are pickly little SOB's anyway and moving them can throw off the feeding response.  Feed it in its home and then leave it alone.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Now you're talking.  It should be ready for another one of those in about five days.  
View Quote

That's what I've heard... how long before she's pretty much "full grown"
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ball python hatchlings straight out of the egg are started on mouse hoppers.  At a year old it should at least be on weanling rats if not smalls.

Your snake is thin for a ball python, which isn't surprising if it's been getting nothing but pinkies all of its life.  Take advantage and convert it over to frozen/thaw feeders rather than live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think there's any permanent damage done or will she fatten up?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Op are you an inky too.
View Quote

Why yes, yes I am.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Another question, is the mouse I gave her a hopper? Or wingling? Or what?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a crucial growth time for it, it may be slightly stunted.  It should be full size by about 2.5 to 3 years old, then the growth will continue very slowly.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Another question, is the mouse I gave her a hopper? Or wingling? Or what?
View Quote
Looks like a young adult mouse, seems to be just the right size.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do you think there's any permanent damage done or will she fatten up?
View Quote

Snakes are pretty resilient so yours should be fine.  You really need to get the humidity in that tank up by making a cover for it though.

I don't know who suggested cypress mulch over the aspen but it's a good idea to switch if you want to keep using that tank.  Aspen molds quickly and cypress is great for retaining humidity.  Make sure you get the 100% cypress, not the "cypress blend" mulch you find at garden centers as it's mostly pine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah I'm actively trying to up the humidity as we speak.. I've covered half the opening with a wet towel and I'm dampening everything inside. I plan to buy some cypress bedding friday
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#41]
You can also make a humid hide box out of tupperware and slightly moistened substrate place half on and have off of the heat pad.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Good idea. I put a smaller hide in the tank... it's actually a leupold scope box, and she LOVES it. The heat pad is directly under it and I'd say it's close to 85 degrees under the box. I know this is a temporary fix and I plan to do a western theme and possible do a bull skull or cowboy hat hide or something like that
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good idea. I put a smaller hide in the tank... it's actually a leupold scope box, and she LOVES it. The heat pad is directly under it...
View Quote

Do you have a thermostat to control the heat pad?  They can get hot enough to burn your snake if unregulated.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#44]
No I dont... but this one barely gets warm. Do I need to get one that's regulated?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Addition . . . it's a new ADDition.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Addition . . . it's a new ADDition.
View Quote

Not in this thread...

So why don't you subtract yourself from this thread.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Also what do the decimal numbers mean when people talk about their snakes?

Like 0.1 piebald?... or whatever?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Also what do the decimal numbers mean when people talk about their snakes?

Like 0.1 piebald?... or whatever?
View Quote

Left of the decimal is number of male snakes, right is female
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

She's almost a year old.

The guys wife just bought a cat and he said every time he has the snake out the new cat goes apeshit and tries to kill the snake... the guy nearly teared up as I got in the car to drive off.. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's almost a year old.

Almost a year and still on pinkies? I'd see what you can find for small adult mice. Both the BPs I had started on hopper size mice once a week and moved up to small adult mice within a year. It won't take long(another year or two) and she'll be ready for small to medium rats.

ETA-after reading further I see you did that. When I had mine I tried to avoid handling until the food bulge was gone. Tends to keep stress levels down.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Congrats OP. At almost a yr old, she should be taking meals larger than pinkies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top