Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/3/2015 12:27:16 AM EDT
Almost 40 and have always been single.
Most of the time it feels great being alone, but then there are times when I just about go insane with boredom.
One thing I have thought of more lately is growing old and being alone.
I see these lonely old people around all the time and they look fucking miserable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm newly single after getting out of a 4 yearish relationship.  I'm 37, and it's weird being back on the field.  I miss the ex every once in while, but other than that, my head's in the game. I need to lose a few pounds and I'll be back in fighting shape.  Fortunately I look better than most guys 10 years younger than me.

As far as growing old alone, I'm sure I'll find someone to be happy with so I'm not real worried about it.  Worst case scenario, I have my little guy who's 2 and a half now to take care of his old man.  

Hang in there, OP.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You know what's worse..?
Being with the wrong person !
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You know what's worse..?

Being with the wrong person !
View Quote
You ain't lyin' my friend!

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to be single and happy.  Now, I'm married and happy.  I'm just generally happy, I guess.  <shrug>
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Happy alone.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I love being alone.  When I am living with women they always are mad at or disappointed in me.  When I live with roommates, they drive me insane.

I am super happy when nobody is bothering me.  I probably have a personality disorder, but I am not hurting anyone.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Cannon fodder.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Happy alone.
View Quote

This

I love doing what I want, when I want. Granted I have the money and vacation time from work if needed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm 59.

I've been single my entire life and loving it!

No fears about growing old alone at all.

I'm retired now, but still don't have enough time to do everything I want!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used to be single and happy.  Now, I'm married and happy.  I'm just generally happy, I guess.  <shrug>
View Quote

Life's to short not to be happy
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Alone and miserable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Single and 40
Did my time for almost 20 years, not going back
Being alone is super fine with me
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And too long to be unhappy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#14]
As Gino (Don Ameche) says, "Things change"

And they do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I work with those in their last days and have for years

There is reason to fear being alone when you get older.  This fear is compounded due to the reason one is alone and their financial situation.  Single dude that can hire in a care giver for their last ten years is one thing.  Single dude living on social security with kids he hates/who hate him is a whole other thing.

Have a good solid family or a deep bank account.  Ideally bothI
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#16]
My buddy in Tucson is 41 and single. Ok, he's really divorced for 11 years. But he is miserable, lonely and has no chance to land chix because he just sits at home watching TV wondering why super models aren't jumping in bed with him.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not afraid of growing old alone. I am afraid of footing the bill of some demented form of America where illegals get preference over citizens and the Democratic Party is our one-party state government.

I want to get the hell out of here.  I want to live in Australia.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm single and happy.  Not afraid of being alone.

ETA:  I'm probably going to die of a stress related disease   Or I'll get shot or stabbed to death.  Fuck it
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Single and happy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I've thought about that a lot lately. I'm 35 and date a LOT but I don't feel like I've even come close to finding the right person.

Life is alright for now, but I imagine in that 20-ish years if I don't have any kids, close family, or an SO, that life could get old real fast. I guess there's always the Hunter S. Thompson option.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same. I was soooo happy as a single man, and not so happy with the last few girlfriends. Then I met my now wife, and I'm even happier!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't be like this!

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I am 28, I am single, and if not happy, then I am surely content, and it has been a few years since I have been in a serious relationship.

I think I have learned a few things over the past few years from my (and friends of mine) experiences.  First and foremost, forcing a relationship just to be in one is bad news. I have known a few people who almost weren't able to function without being in a relationship.  Almost always it resulted in unhealthy relationships where they were forcing it, and relying on their S.O. to be the one that makes them happy.  Shouldn't be hard to say how those ended.

Second, just because you get married or have children doesn't mean you won't die alone.  I know that is kind of a blunt way of putting it, but from having a clinical during school, and currently working part time in an SNF, it is the truth.  If your sole reason for getting into a relationship is that, then there is an unnecessary risk of being in a forced, unhealthy relationship as previously mentioned.  

But yes, if you are single, even if you mingle, there are times when you may feel a little bit lonely.  That is completely normal, but nowhere near as bad as a bad relationship IMO.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#26]
50 and single. Never married, but I came dangerously close once. I like being able to do what I want, where I want, when I want. As far as being "happy"? I'm neither happy nor unhappy...more like resigned, I guess.

Every time I get lonesome, all it takes is an episode of
Deadly Women to remind me that I dodged a bullet by not getting married.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Divorced with two kids who stay with me full time.  I don't think I can be with another woman at this point in my life.  I'm focused on raising a 14 year old son and his 11 year old sister.  They resist seeing their mom when she does come around, which is usually only at her convenience and not their need.  Money is tight but we manage to have fun with the little things in life.

Just yesterday when shopping together my daughter said I am more of a mother to her than her own mom.  This made me very sad as I just can't fathom being in the position my kids are in.  

Sometimes I question if I should let someone into my life just for their sake.  I mean, having a spouse would change our game financially but I just can't imagine doing that to my kids.  There is so much I want them to have and experience but it won't happen unless the powerball people knock on the door.

I think I'd rather be lonely and focus on the kids.  When they're grown and can take care of themselves maybe I'll give love another chance.  But not before then.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Without a spouse, one has more income availale for hookers and blow.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#29]
It's really going to vary person to person.

This really isn't meant as a jab at women, but in my limited experience, I notice that some women (a lot more than men) seem to NEED to be in a relationship.  I've seen girls break up with a guy and have a new "boyfriend" within 72 hours.  Some people just don't seem to know how to be happy and single.  

I firmly believe that "absence makes the heart grown fonder".  People who are unmarried but move in together boggle my mind.  Men are different than women.  Men need that time alone to be lazy on the couch, veg out, burp, fart and generally just spend a day or two watching football and drinking beer.

It's much harder to do that when you're living with a women.  When you spend 2-3 days apart, that date night you setup seems to feel a little more special.  Just my humble opinion on things.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've seen girls break up with a guy and have a new "boyfriend" within 72 hours.
View Quote

Same here.  The thing I can't figure-out is that out of all of the unmarried guys I know, I can't think of a single one with a girlfriend.  All of the unmarried women I know have boyfriends.  How does that math work-out?z
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Drunk chick's and spring break.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:13:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I actually prefer to take my coke and bookers in the winter.  Off season,rates make your dollar go farther.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#33]
44, single, living alone, and happy.  

I go visit friends with children with all of the noise and commotion, and I am very happy to get back to my place and enjoy the quiet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Between 2 women I've got 5-6 months of dating under my belt.  Never made it to the "I love you" stage.   Been single every second otherwise.  

It's depressing at times, but for the most part I am happy.  I have stuff, and a 3rd shift fucked-up life to take my mind off of it most of the time.  

What hurts me the most, is that I want a kid of my own.   I've been around my friends families, watching their kids grow from babies to 10-12 already.  However I don't want the damn hassle of finding, dating, engaging, marrying, then talking about kids with a woman for the next 10+ years to get to that point.  I would honestly be happier single and able to adopt.   The .gov frowns on single men with kids...so that idea is shot anyways...

Growing old alone?  No, I'm not afraid of it.  If my life hasn't changed much once my parents die....I'll probably join them shortly after.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been fantasizing about being single again...

I honestly miss it sometimes.

I definitely believe you can be happy and single. I know that if it doesn't work out with my wife, I'm never getting married again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I go visit friends with children with all of the noise and commotion, and I am very happy to get back to my place and enjoy the quiet.
View Quote

Maybe it's a generational things. but I have noticed something weird about a lot of my friends who have young kids.  I'm in my early 30s.  I see it a lot where my friends are horrible about discipline.  They will threaten discipline but their kinds constantly step over the line and never really get disciplined for their actions.

It seems much different compared to me and my friends when I was growing up.  I kind of think that too many people my age are afraid of disciplining their kids and want to be their kid's best friend too much and worry that any form of discipline will have negative effects.  I don't have children but IMO, you can be best friends when you child is 30.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope I have my guns, dogs and bacon to keep me company!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:40:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Divorced.

I was unhappy towards the end of our marriage.

I'm not really happy dating again, since I have little energy to invest in relationships...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Between 2 women I've got 5-6 months of dating under my belt.  Never made it to the "I love you" stage.   Been single every second otherwise.  

It's depressing at times, but for the most part I am happy.  I have stuff, and a 3rd shift fucked-up life to take my mind off of it most of the time.  

What hurts me the most, is that I want a kid of my own.   I've been around my friends families, watching their kids grow from babies to 10-12 already.  However I don't want the damn hassle of finding, dating, engaging, marrying, then talking about kids with a woman for the next 10+ years to get to that point.  I would honestly be happier single and able to adopt.   The .gov frowns on single men with kids...so that idea is shot anyways...

Growing old alone?  No, I'm not afraid of it.  If my life hasn't changed much once my parents die....I'll probably join them shortly after.
View Quote

Son, do not fuck up your life like that.  Just take care of yourself.  A woman will come along soon enough.  Rushing/looking is what will ruin you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Maybe it's a generational things. but I have noticed something weird about a lot of my friends who have young kids.  I'm in my early 30s.  I see it a lot where my friends are horrible about discipline.  They will threaten discipline but their kinds constantly step over the line and never really get disciplined for their actions.

It seems much different compared to me and my friends when I was growing up.  I kind of think that too many people my age are afraid of disciplining their kids and want to be their kid's best friend too much and worry that any form of discipline will have negative effects.  I don't have children but IMO, you can be best friends when you child is 30.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I have a few friends who are not afraid to take their belt off and use it.  

I do think, that what you are describing could be a product of the government and zero tolerance.  All a kid has to do is mention a spanking, or slap on the cheek...and you will have CPS in your life.  The threat of them taking your kids pending an investigation is all too real these days.  We all know how kids blow little things out of proportion.  2 smacks on the ass and sent to their rooms might be how it really went...but the story they will tell is that you beat the shit out of them for 5 minutes, then locked them in their room for 14 hours
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Single and am not stressing too much over it. At some point a lady will come along that is worth it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Son, do not fuck up your life like that.  Just take care of yourself.  A woman will come along soon enough.  Rushing/looking is what will ruin you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I have never went looking for a woman.  The two (3 including a one nighter) I was with actually came to me.  
I've done the whole nice guy thing...respect them...talk to them, etc....but that just lands you in the friend zone (when truth be told, they want the guy who will tell them what to do, and grab their arm and lead them back to the bedroom without asking...)
I've even turned down 3 offers from friends trying to hook me up with someone (I don't feel comfortable when it feels "forced")
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes and nope not at all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Honestly, I have never went looking for a woman.  The two (3 including a one nighter) I was with actually came to me.  
I've done the whole nice guy thing...respect them...talk to them, etc....but that just lands you in the friend zone (when truth be told, they want the guy who will tell them what to do, and grab their arm and lead them back to the bedroom without asking...)
I've even turned down 3 offers from friends trying to hook me up with someone (I don't feel comfortable when it feels "forced")
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand, really I do, trust me just take care of yourself.  Be a man.  That is it.  Everything else will work out for you, I promise.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure some of that is true.

Reminds me of the time Uncle MotorMouth took the kids shopping.  

They got in a fight over who was riding shotgun.  I intervened just in time to avoid little hands getting mashed in the car door.  My method of intervention involved physically wrapping up a bucking nine year old, which resulted in my tripping and driving the two us into the pavement. Oddly enough my instinct to protect the child meant she went completely unscathed despite my landing on top of her.  My hands, forearms and flip-flop "covered" toes, however, . . . road rash.

Once they were both belted in the backseat and the car doors closed, I unleashed a verbal torrent* that left them uncharacteristically quiet for the next half hour.

Dealing with that kind of crap on a daily basis?  Not my cup of tea.

* I only used a single curse word once during my chastisement of the little heathens, and I did apologize to them later for losing my cool.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:09:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, Yes and No.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:53:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I understand, really I do, trust me just take care of yourself.  Be a man.  That is it.  Everything else will work out for you, I promise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely will...thanks!  

I've been house searching for my first home since the winter.  That should keep me busy  Found one that might be it...calling the realtor later today...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Just turned 40 and never been married.  Only a few serious relationships.  Doesn't bother me.  I'm just rather anti social and don't care for 99% of people out there.

When I get lonely, I just go snuggle with my dogs, and I'm good.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:00:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Happily single after a divorce just over a year ago. Adult daughter and joint custody of 2 teen boys. Not lacking for company Don't tell the regular that I still consider myself single 43 and I know some young ones would have their work cut out just trying to keep up
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm single and mostly happy. I'm really not that afraid of ending up old and alone. I'm terrified of getting married, and then losing half of my stuff or more, and then ending up old and alone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top