Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/2/2015 10:47:48 PM EDT
We were getting ready to depart Idaho Falls on Saturday when it was announced that the flight was "too heavy." 3, then 5, then 10 people were encouraged to get off of the plane. If enough people did not get off the airline would start "involuntary deplaning." The process took 45 minutes with sweetening offers and threats that our baggage would be removed. There were probably less than 100 on the flight. How could the airline be that far off in its weight calculation?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What type of plane? I've only experienced this on small regional jets or propeller flights.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Motherfuckers with 3 overloaded un weighed carry on bags. Cheap lazy fucks.

Kinda grumpy tonight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You want to find out what happens when you are too heavy???

Lol

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
In most of my ergonomics work in my previous life, human data such as averages including sizes and weights were taken from military intake statistics since it was fairly accurate.

Unfortunately the average American and the average soldier share little more than a country of origin anymore.

My prediction is airlines will charge by the pound eventually. Just have to get past the SJWs

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if they were carrying any commercial cargo and didn't calculator correctly and made their customers suffer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Allegiant air?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Join the airline's frequent flyer program and you are probably less likely to be kicked off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Going to get to the point where everyone is allowed a single, small bag not over 20lbs.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Commercial cargo pays more than most seats.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
is there a scale on the runway ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Additional cargo room sold off to mail/freight and contract obligations didn't allow for cargo to be removed, since the freight was time sensitive.

That's my wild ass guess.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
. How could the airline be that far off in its weight calculation?
View Quote

Kind of hard to do any weight calculations til they see how many kitchen sinks the passengers showed up with as checked bagage
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
They also don't factor in the 400 lb land whales that are common these days. When I went through my ADX course, we were told to use 185 for men and 120 for women. No fucking way those numbers work these days. Factor in extra fuel for weather or delays and heavy ass bags, I can see overweight aircraft being an issue.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

is there a scale on the runway ?

View Quote
In the landing gear I believe

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We were getting ready to depart Idaho Falls on Saturday when it was announced that the flight was "too heavy." 3, then 5, then 10 people were encouraged to get off of the plane. If enough people did not get off the airline would start "involuntary deplaning." The process took 45 minutes with sweetening offers and threats that our baggage would be removed. There were probably less than 100 on the flight. How could the airline be that far off in its weight calculation?
View Quote

Let me guess, Allegiant Air? The same airline that misjudged the fuel needed for a flight to Fargo, North Dakota and had to call in emergency landing?

That airline is a joke; I once flew out of Oakland with them and they told us they had to ship our bags because the "fire suppression system in the baggage compartment was malfunctioning." Made me feel real safe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Somebody didn't pay attention to the preliminary weight and balance or there was a last minute change (fuel?)  Also, if passengers were moved from another flight and central load planning was not notified, they may not have made necessary adjustments.  Not a fun time either way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You want to find out what happens when you are too heavy???

Lol

View Quote
What's the worse that could happen?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What type of plane? I've only experienced this on small regional jets or propeller flights.

View Quote

It was an Embraer, iirc. Definitely not a Boeing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#21]
So how many were neckbeards that got off the plane
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Commercial cargo pays more than most seats.
View Quote

Flying out of Idaho Falls, you're probably right.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Happened to us on a 110-degree day trying to get out of Reno, NV.  We were about one more perk bump from getting off. They took 12 folks off the plane, backed it up to the fence, and took damn near every foot of runway to get off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Diet before you fly.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Additional cargo room sold off to mail/freight and contract obligations didn't allow for cargo to be removed, since the freight was time sensitive.
That's my wild ass guess.

View Quote
On a rare occasion at an outstation you can mel a certain cargo bins, throws weight and balance way off, but the plane can safely complete the flight.  Better to remove 10 people than cancel the flight.   Sucks for those 10 but still had 90 get there

Even more rare you could load ballast and offset the change, but I've only seen that once
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Back in 2005 my wife and I took a Southwest flight from San Diego to my home town in Washington to spend Christmas with my family. We pulled away from the gate and started to move to the runway and then stopped. The pilot came on and said the plane was very heavy and he wanted to run the numbers to make sure we could take off. He came back on about ten minutes later and said Boeing said we were good to go. I was a little nervous but we took off no problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They also don't factor in the 400 lb land whales that are common these days. When I went through my ADX course, we were told to use 185 for men and 120 for women. No fucking way those numbers work these days. Factor in extra fuel for weather or delays and heavy ass bags, I can see overweight aircraft being an issue.
View Quote

185 lbs? That's not even a full-grown man.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen them redistribute passengers to keep the plane from being nose heavy, but I've never seen anyone kick a passenger off on a jet for it being too heavy. Only on turboprops.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I was guessing RJ when I read the title

CRJs and ERJs are low on my list of planes to fly on when I book my airfare
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
We use the same weight for men and woman. It only changes for winter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We use the same weight for men and woman. It only changes for winter.
Interesting. I always assumed a real airline would do it that way. Who gives a fuck about gender if you use the same number? But the class was also just enough to qualify for the practical exam and no more or less. If I thought about going into the field after all these years, I would definitely look at Jeppesen or some other ADX school to get up to speed (There's one in Florida somewhere that some people I know went to).

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Looking at flight numbers I now believe that it was a"CRJ9". (Delta flight from KIDA to KMSP around 1:30pm departure).
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wonder if they were carrying any commercial cargo and didn't calculator correctly and made their customers suffer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
The emb170/75 and 190/195 are pretty nice.  Canadair=pass

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I've only had that happen once, and it was because the original plane had a maintenance issue, and the replacement plane had too much fuel on board for the short flight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Gross overload?

Looking for volunteers to de-plane?

You'd have seen a Speedy Gonzalez dust tail from my ass RUNNING up the Isle yelling "ARRIBA ARRIBA, ENDELE ENDELE, YEEE HAAAA".

not a fan of falling out of the sky in a stall plummeting to my death

Thanks, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Density Altitude much bro?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#39]
If you were on an ERJ (Embraer Regional Jet) or a CRJ (Canadair Regional Jet), then you were not flying on Delta.  You were flying on a regional airline that was operating as part of Delta Connection.  Totally different company, management, ops team, etc.  In general, you are more likely to have performance problems due to weight/temperature/high altitude with a regional jet than a mainline jet such as the 737 or 757.  When that happens, lightening the aircraft is really the only solution.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Gross overload?

Looking for volunteers to de-plane?

You'd have seen a Speedy Gonzalez dust tail from my ass RUNNING up the Isle yelling "ARRIBA ARRIBA, ENDELE ENDELE, YEEE HAAAA".

not a fan of falling out of the sky in a stall plummeting to my death

Thanks, I'll pass.
View Quote

Well the good news is you wouldnt fall out out of the sky.

The bad news is, you'd never actually get into the sky and you'd run out of runway trying. If you're lucky the p9ilot will just take the on ramp and you can take the interstate to your destination.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
Embraer 145 was what I though initially. During the summer, it's not uncommon down here to see them go back to the gate after doing calculations to remove cargo and/or passengers.

Gotta love that density altitude.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

If you were on an ERJ (Embraer Regional Jet) or a CRJ (Canadair Regional Jet), then you were not flying on Delta.  You were flying on a regional airline that was operating as part of Delta Connection.  Totally different company, management, ops team, etc.  In general, you are more likely to have performance problems due to weight/temperature/high altitude with a regional jet than a mainline jet such as the 737 or 757.  When that happens, lightening the aircraft is really the only solution.  
View Quote
Probably ASQ if it was a Delta flight. We get their CRJ's all the time down here.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ERJs are nicer than the CRJs as a passenger but not as nice as a 737 especially the new ones ( I've been sticking to newer - 800s and 900s recently)

I've also had fewer delays and baggage issues, sticking to mainline routes served by the airline than with an affiliate.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Those jet engines can't move all that fat nowadays. Need jato rockets to assist now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Embraer 145 was what I though initially. During the summer, it's not uncommon down here to see them go back to the gate after doing calculations to remove cargo and/or passengers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my Friday, I'm leaving work out of this
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#47]
$20 says it was over fueled.

Happens all the time.  Fuel guy not paying attention and pumps a couple thousand pounds of fuel more than what the pilot asked for.

Fuel guy gets the ticket from the pilot telling him how many pounds of fuel.  Fuel guy hooks up and starts pumping.  Either the guy stops paying attention or doesn't get the pump shut off in time.  Pump shuts off with a dead man switch the fuel guy is holding, or at least used to..been a long time since I've done it.  

Most of the time the extra fuel isn't a big deal on the larger planes.  A small ERJ and CRJ it matters very much.  

I used to be the Line Forman at a regional airport.  In charge of all private and commercial fueling.    
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Back in my crj years once, I was flying as captain from Missoula (if I recall correctly) to MSP. While enroute the weather went down unexpectedly in MSP and our flight was no longer legal to continue without an alternate and the required fuel. So we diverted to Sioux Falls, SD for fuel. Only problem was we had already had a very long duty day and were up against part 121 limits. But the company wanted that plane back into rotation. No problem, still legal under part 91 (noncommercial). We just kicked everyone off in the middle of fucking nowhere, loaded up any working and nonreving company personnel, and pushed back from the gate in full view of every single stranded passenger staring at us through the terminal's picture window.
Hey, it's not my plane. I just have to fly it the way the company tells me to. But the look on those people's faces was unforgettable when they figured out we were leaving without them. And there is no way to convince a hysterical woman that one set of rules says we're not safe enough to accept passengers but a different set of rules allows us to fly anyways without them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys need better dispatchers, we new well before boarding when 50 seats = 41

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top