Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2015 8:09:38 PM EDT
A few weeks (months?) ago we had a tractor thread here and I cant find it now to save my life.

Right now, I think Ive got it narrowed down to three options, one of which is not solid. My goal is to keep the total outlay to $20k or less which may be tough. Secondary goal is not to deal with DPF and piss water because FEPA and FBHO. All options discussed are HST equipped.

Primary functions are:

2+ acres of "yard" mowing

4 acres of "finish" mowing

6 acres of bush hogging

1000+ ft of gravel driveway to maintain

Garden for next spring (probably 50x100 to start)

Planned implement purchases are:

FEL

Mid mower (60")

4ft bush hog

Rototiller in the spring

Maybe a box blade

Option 1:

Used Kubota B series. Preferably a 2620 and up. Seen a few locally for 16-18k with the FEL only with hours ranging from 100-1500 and years ranging 2008 and on. Less hours and better condition trend towards the higher end of that range.

Option 2:

Mahindra Max 26XL. The new ones are "Tier IV" but dont have any of the emissions controls because Mahindra detuned the larger engine to be under the HP cap. The big plus is that it requires less RPM to make the same power and probably more torque. Warranty is a big draw, and the tractor and FEL can be had for around $15k cash, which leaves me a fair bit to spend on implements.

Option 3:

This is a maybe, but one of the NC Mahindra dealers has a 28xl listed in inventory. Its a 2014 model, and if they would deal, Id make the drive to get it. Its basically this years 26xl, since the 28xl was demoted to a 26xl.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
4 ft bush hog is gonna get real small, real fast, on 6 acres....
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
We've had 2 different Mahindras and been happy with both.  

They all tear up though so make sure you like your dealer.  It can matter as much as which tractor you buy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw a picture of a nice John Deere with three wheels on each coner earlier in the day that looks nice
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah.  I use a 4' on my 15 hp mini-tractor.

Any serious brush hogging is done with a 6' or it takes forever.

4' is just for goofing off.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've only had experience with kubota, and they are really good machines. Never used a mahindra, but there's one down the road that's been broken down for over a week....maybe I should make an offer
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Kubota and call it a day
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm happy with my New Holland.    It's been great.    0% finance,  5yr warranty.

Eta....   mine is 30 hp.  With a front end loader.  GET THE FRONT END LOADER!!!!!!       It's worth its weight  in gold.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is one thing.

13 years ago when i was a commercial lawn care guy, 48 was pretty big.

Fast forward to now. My dads mows his 5 acres with a walker riding mower and 64 inch deck. My brush hog for 4 acres at work is 6 or 7 feet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Is 20 PTO horsepower enough for a 5 ft? Weight becomes a concern somewhere in there too from what I understand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a John Deere 1025 this spring. I love this tractor. The quick attach FEL and drive over deck work flawlessly. I also bought a 48 inch chopper mower. I Don't have any problem with power and I'm sure I have enough power for a 5 ft.  The only problem is the weight you will need to keep your FEL on or put weights on the front. I also found a 1 yr old barely used tiller for about a third of the price of new. JD also has 5 yr 0% interest.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Easy.

I own a Kubota B7500 with a 60 inch deck.  It will run a 72 inch mower if the grass is not too high; all that means slowing down and setting the deck as high as possible in really thick stuff.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is 20 PTO horsepower enough for a 5 ft? Weight becomes a concern somewhere in there too from what I understand.

Easy.

I own a Kubota B7500 with a 60 inch deck.  It will run a 72 inch mower if the grass is not too high; all that means slowing down and setting the deck as high as possible in really thick stuff.

Easy?

Not really.  A new (new blades) 5' brush hog in light grass, cool day, dry air, no dew on the grass and you have an honest 20 AT THE PTO... it will do it.

Change any of the above and you get in to 'it can do it, but, you will be in a lower gear and taking a lot ... sometimes a whole lot ... more time.

I've used a 5' mower behind a Farmall H roughly 20 HP http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/9/290-farmall-h.html

Light grass, no problem.  tall, thick, heavy bladed stuff?  Yeah, first gear and maybe then with only half the blade cutting the grass, the other half in the cut-row to keep the load down.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Saw a picture of a nice John Deere with three wheels on each coner earlier in the day that looks nice
View Quote
Yes, that should suit him.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

This.  I have around 90 acres with very similar yard, brush hog, and driveway acreage. I have a 2004 JD 4410, FEL, with a 72" finish mower and a 6' brush hog; I think it's 39 HP.  As others have said, you are looking at some pretty small equipment for your needs.  I plan to buy a larger tractor in the foreseeable future.

Regardless of what machine you buy, make absolutely sure it has a front end loader.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Anything less than forty horsepower is a mistake.  40 hp will pull a 6 foot bush hog or a 7 foot hammer knife with no problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no dog in this fight. I pay someone to mow my meager lot.  LOL.  
Buy once cry once seems to fit.  Never have enough HP.  Go once. Go big. Go tough. Go strong.

Green or red or blue. Make sure FBHO there is aftermarket support in your area.  When you put your tractor away
you want to glance back at her with a smile.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I would consider something in the 40 hp range with loader as others have said.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Look at Kioti.  I've been very happy with mine.  Good parts and service and much less than Kubota.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have no dog in this fight. I pay someone to mow my meager lot.  LOL.  
Buy once cry once seems to fit.  Never have enough HP.  Go once. Go big. Go tough. Go strong.

Green or red or blue. Make sure FBHO there is aftermarket support in your area.  When you put your tractor away
you want to glance back at her with a smile.
View Quote

Singular?

pfffffft.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you're not going with a front end loader and don't need 4x4, look at some of the used Ford 3000.  47 hp would swing a 7' brush-hog OK, but 6' would be a breeze.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/5/259-ford-3000.html

If you needed a bit more power:

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/6/266-ford-5000.html
View Quote
4WD is a must for me. The current owners have a Ford 5000 and hate it FWIW.

The Mahindra dealers here are pretty good, and Ive got two of them within 15 miles of the house, but the same could be said for Kubota too. Not willing to pay the JD tax that everyone wants around here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you're not going with a front end loader and don't need 4x4, look at some of the used Ford 3000.  47 hp would swing a 7' brush-hog OK, but 6' would be a breeze.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/5/259-ford-3000.html

View Quote

I dunno about that...

I own a Ford Super Major (Made in Dagenham England, btw . sold as the Ford 5000 here in the States.)  At 69 HP, It's 30% more HP and I run a 6' brushhog on it.  In medium grass (heavy grass to a 20HP tractor) it will run right through it.  

When it is 4'-5' deep watergrass, briars, trees, brambles you gotta get in to a low range (2nd gear).

I paid 2700(?) I think for it.  Craigslist.  It's a beast for the money though.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
You will want  a 5' brush hog, 4' will be annoyingly small and piss you off.

I am biased, buy Kubota

Dealer support is big for any brand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Anything less than forty horsepower is a mistake.  40 hp will pull a 6 foot bush hog or a 7 foot hammer knife with no problem.
View Quote
^^^ This ^^^

And remember to buy a bush hog/mower that is wider than your tractor.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Wait a tick...

4' brushog .. that is garden tractor use.  15-18 hp  The small tracotrs tend to do a shitty job of mowing to boot.  The weight of a 4' mower and uneven surfaces makes this kind of a lark.  You;d be better off with a finish mower rather than a 3 pt brushog

5' ... You can make it happen with a 20-P, but not heavy grass, not heavy brush.  Workable of the field has been cleared, there is no heavy grass, and you treat it like a weekly task.

6' .... You need 30-40 HP(minimum.. and you will still have issues with some heavy grasses or thick materials)), but the price difference between a 5 and 6' mower is irrelevant.  300-500 used for a 5' mower.  400-800 used for a 6'  

7' .... kind of an odd size, you don't see many around and they have a weight, parts and size issue.  Oddly priced as well.  

8' .... you are generally not going to find in a single gearbox brush hog.  They exist, but, not many around.  Most are going in to a 'batwing' models by 8'.

Most people like 6' mowers because an 'average' tractor can swing the blades.

Anything below, 6' is a compromise because your tractor is weak, or if you go above 6' it is serious $$ because the complexity, materials, and gearboxes are much more expensive to manufacture.

Get a tractor that is rated (by hp) to handle a 6' mower and call it a day.

TRG

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I know where there's a L3800HST with 46 hrs, loader, 4wd, canopy, and 6' finish mower for $21,000!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I mow about 7 acres with a 5ft brush hog on a Mahindra 3016. It was either that or a kubota. I went with the Mahindra because the FEL could handle more weight. It takes me about two hours to mow it. Get the FEL, 4wd, an quick connect for attachments on the front you won't regret it. I run a 66"dirt box blade,set of discs, post hole digger with a 12"auger. It has done the job well.I have found the horse power adequate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Kubota

And screw a bush hog, get a flail mower.  Or if you will make hay, get a disk mower.  

And always get as much horsepower as you can fit in your barn/shed.  That should be a mandatory ban offense to answer anything less.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ok.

My tractor will mow waist high fescue with no problem with the five foot center mower.  That's the largest mower I would put on that tractor.  Six feet would be slow and painful, and doable, but not recommended.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy.

Easy?

Not really.  A new (new blades) 5' brush hog in light grass, cool day, dry air, no dew on the grass and you have an honest 20 AT THE PTO... it will do it.

Change any of the above and you get in to 'it can do it, but, you will be in a lower gear and taking a lot ... sometimes a whole lot ... more time.

I've used a 5' mower behind a Farmall H roughly 20 HP http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/9/290-farmall-h.html

Light grass, no problem.  tall, thick, heavy bladed stuff?  Yeah, first gear and maybe then with only half the blade cutting the grass, the other half in the cut-row to keep the load down.

TRG

Ok.

My tractor will mow waist high fescue with no problem with the five foot center mower.  That's the largest mower I would put on that tractor.  Six feet would be slow and painful, and doable, but not recommended.

Just Googled your make/model and HP

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/104997-b7500-horsepower-rating-decal-motor.html

Interesting tractor.  

What gear for 3' tall fescue?

TRG
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Kubota

And screw a bush hog, get a flail mower.  Or if you will make hay, get a disk mower.  

And always get as much horsepower as you can fit in your barn/shed.  That should be a mandatory ban offense to answer anything less.
View Quote

Hay?  On 6-10 acres?

Tractor, 21k+ (see JPL above)
Mower/cutter 7k?
Rake 5k
Baler ...5k (square used) to 15k (round)

I;m not so sure that investing 40k in the equipment to bale 6-10 acres is all that wise.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#35]
if Kubota is an option it's the answer

that said I've got an L2500 right now with a 5' bush hog on it and it's only good for light grass, it'll bog down like a motherfucker in anything more (27hp)

HP is HP, get as much as you can afford
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
if Kubota is an option it's the answer

that said I've got an L2500 right now with a 5' bush hog on it and it's only good for light grass, it'll bog down like a motherfucker in anything more (27hp)

HP is HP, get as much as you can afford
View Quote

Good reviews.  Kinda spendy.

I own four tractors.  None are 4wd.  No FELs.

If/When I get stuck I use another tractor to pull me out.

I've even used a 3pt lifting boom to 'lift/carry' the small Beaver out of a bind with the Super M.

I keep trying to justify an FEL or a backhoe, just haven't talked myself in to it yet.

4wd .. pfft.  By the time you 'need 4wd' around here, you're already so fucked that it's useless.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#37]
You can get a simple 18 HP John Deere riding lawnmower for $1500 msrp.  Go up to 24 HP and you are looking at $2000

You can get a mini-utility tractor, a sub-compact tractor like the John Deere 1023 and 1025 series with 24 HP for $13,000.  A 10 fold increase in price for what?  A nicer seat and a roll-bar?  Okay, yes, you have a much greater ability to put on attachments on the back or a front end loader...but in the end you are still dealing with a very small and light vehicle which does dictate how much you can really lift with a bucket.   And you are still only talking 24 HP, even if geared for pulling, and yes with 4WD you get a lot more pulling power than a 24 HP riding lawnmower, but you still aren't going to be pulling much of a load, nor are you going to have much power pulling anything through soil like a gardener might need.  

If you step to a 'compact' tractor with nearly identical HP, like the John Deer 2025, you get much better ground clearance, significant increase in the axle weight it can handle, nearly double what the three point hitch can handle, and being that it's a little bit heavier a little bit wider, etc, it balances better if you are using the bucket, or are lifting something heavy with the three point hitch etc.  More weight also helps with keeping traction while pulling, and we are still taking about something that is very light overall so it's not going to rip up grass any worse than it's slightly lighter compatriot.  All this for $16,000.   So for a relatively slight price increase you still get something that's quite compact, but due to it's greater size is able to do a lot more with roughly the same HP.  But really, stepping up to something in the 32HP-45HP range, like a 3032 or 3038 in the same size package will bring you up to $20,000.  You'll be running something that weighs 2200 lbs compared to the 1500 lbs of the mini-utility tractor, but you will have something I think is ten times more useful for a relatively moderate price increase.

Now, my examples were John Deere, but the same holds true of the Kubota L, New Holland Workmaster, or whatever.

If you can't justify at least 32 HP and a unit that has at least 10 inches clearance, can lift 2000 with the three point hitch and weighs in at slightly over 2000lbs to about 2500lbs, you probably don't need a tractor in the first place.

32-45 HP, 2000-2500lb tractors to me seem to be a sweet spot for value.

For comparison, TGR's Super M delivers very similar power, about 45 HP, but does it in a much larger, heavier 5500lb package, and without 4wd has a lot less actual pull power.  More weight can come in handy for balance when carrying something really heavy in the bucket,  but that same weight can also help you get stuck in the mud easier.

Now, doesn't mean you can't go buy yourself a nice used Super M or an H or something like that. A lot of tractors that are 50 years old are still going strong doing general work.  Heck a nice C or Super C with a deck mower is a pretty handy tractor.   Just realize these modern compact utility tractors (not the mini-compacts, the compacts) they put Super M power in a Super C sized package.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
A 6 foot brush hog will get small. I say keep the 2 acres mowed and a 10 foot strip on each side of the drive ...let the rest go back to nature or buy some goats.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Get an LS and call it a day...

More for your money and a great tractor
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#40]
stay away from the tier IV piss water additives, they suck terrible.

get an older one that wont have to stop what is doing when it gets dirty.

FBHO
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Get an LS and call it a day...

More for your money and a great tractor
View Quote

What are LS tractors, Chinese or rebadged?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hay?  On 6-10 acres?

Mower/cutter 7k?
Rake 5k

I;m not so sure that investing 40k in the equipment to bale 6-10 acres is all that wise.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kubota

Hay?  On 6-10 acres?

Mower/cutter 7k?
Rake 5k

TRG

Really?

As you noted, there was an "if" in my statement, since I sometimes drive my tractor off my property to make hay.  

And the last J.D. rake I purchased was $175.  Farming must pay a lot better where you are at to be buying at full retail.

I still stand by my statement, I would get the flail vs a shredder any day.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a 1025 and 5 acres....does everything I ask of it...mow, box blade, plow a small garden, move dirt...

I wanted a tractor I could park in my garage but still useful
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Ive had two Kubotas and a Kioti.  My buddy has a Mahindra and an LS.

The Kubotas were great, refined.  The Kioti has been great as well, less refined.  Buddy's Mahindra has been trouble-free and seems to be built 'heavier' than all the others.  The LS is too new to judge, but seems all right.  If it stays together long term, it will be the best bargain of the bunch.

If I were you, I'd figure 25hp is the minimum for what you want to do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Kubota l4600 with fel call it a day.  B series are smaaaaal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Kubota l4600 with fel call it a day.  B series are smaaaaal.
View Quote
Small is a plus in this case though. Maneuverability and most mid size tractors don't ha e middle mount mowing capabilities.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Easy?

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy.

Easy?

TRG

And that statement - to me- says go bigger rather than smaller.

Too high?  Too heavy?  Too wet?  With a larger unit:  No problem, slow down, take a smaller cut or both.

Want to cut 5' wide with a 4' wide bushhog (or 6' with a 5'):  You're fucked, not gonna happen.

I have the Kubota L4330 (41 hp, 36 PTO hp) and I run a 6' bushhog all day long.  High, low, heavy, wet (well I don't do wet on my hill), doesn't matter, runs like a top.  I wish I had gotten a 7', but like you said they are hard to find, especially in the single gearbox version.  No way to run an 8', way too big.

Good luck to the OP!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like you need a tractor, bush hog, and a zero turn.
Don't go below 35 hp. Or buy a 4ft. Bh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top