User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Start from here and begin reading his collected posts:

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Try 5 or 10 shot groups and then see how consistent it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Hot barrel
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assuming there is no operator error, the system is only as strong as the weakest link.  

There's not enough information to determine your problem over the internet.  How long a distance are these groups shot?  3 shots really don't make a group.  

I'm going to go out on a limb, and say you don't have a .25MOA gun, that would be pretty special if it was.  .75 to 1 MOA is more likely the best you're going to do especially shooting factory loads.
View Quote

This is what I'm thinking... Shoot some 5-10 round groups and watch things even out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
3 round groups.
View Quote

This.  You can't expect 3 round groups to tell you your rifle's capability.  5 at minimum and 10 is better.

For example, I just rebarreled a Winchester 22-250 with a Pac-Nor 3 groove barrel.  I trued up the action, I lapped the bolt, and I shot the following groups while testing loads with neck sized brass fireformed to that chamber.

Here were the first four shots:

I shoot those four rounds and I think "holy fuck, homerun."  But I don't stop and say that now I have a .1 MOA rifle.  I shoot the fifth shot.

Now my .1 group has turned into something more like a .5 group.  But wait, there's more to do.  I'm going to adjust my scope 1" up and shoot another 5 shot group of the same test load.

Now wait a fucking minute what the fuck?  Right?  That looks like shit.  Well...

.492 MOA and .644 MOA respectively.  .568 MOA average.  Can this rifle do better?  Probably.  I have a distinct feeling that it's relatively light weight and heavy trigger are causing me to throw some user error into it.  But of all the loads I tried that day, I know this one is right about the sweet spot.  I still wouldn't call it a .5 MOA rifle.  Not until I see a consistent average of groups that's <.5.  I guarantee that as I shoot this, I'll have many three round groups that look like my first 4 shots.  That doesn't mean it's within the rifle, or my, capabilities.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The rifle has shown that it's capable of it, the shooter is the weak link in the equation.

It's easy to buy a sub-minute rifle, it's not easy to be a sub-minute shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you have a 1MOA rifle, and that's a problem?

Barrel I purchased guarantees sub MOA. It's an Ultramatch barrel.

Nothing ultra or matchy about it.

The rifle has shown that it's capable of it, the shooter is the weak link in the equation.

It's easy to buy a sub-minute rifle, it's not easy to be a sub-minute shooter.

I've shot sub MOA with my previous rifle and I can shoot alright.

I earned my Appleseed patch in 1 day.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If your ability to draw a circle and your ability to pull a trigger smoothly are in any way indicative of each other, I'd take pause before passing judgement on the rifle.
View Quote

Those groupings are from my friend, the Marine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But, you're putting a variable scope on to remove a variable????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try different glass for the hell of it. Or a different mount.
See if you can find a Leupold Mk4 to try on it. I have 2 on 2 of my .50s and love them.

I have a redfield 3-9 that's reliable.

I'll try it to eliminate a variable. Thanks.

But, you're putting a variable scope on to remove a variable????

I know the scope works. Used it on 3 rifles with no hiccups.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]
what trigger do you have in it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If your ability to draw a circle and your ability to pull a trigger smoothly are in any way indicative of each other, I'd take pause before passing judgement on the rifle.

Ah that changes everything

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#11]
You think being a marine makes him a precision shooter?

I was having a shit ton of trouble with one of my precision AR's. I thought about changing barrels, worked up loads, etc.  when I finally settled down and shot the rifle properly it gave me several MOA and a 1/2 minute group. Turns out that the difference in my shooting weekly and monthly makes a big difference in how I pull a trigger.  

Focus on pulling the trigger straight back to the grip, work on your breathing and follow through with your trigger until contact has been made. AR's are a different game from bolt guns.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hot barrel
View Quote

This is what I was thinking.  If you don't shoot SLOOOOOOW and let the barrel cool thoroughly between groups, you are chasing your tail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was having a shit ton of trouble with one of my precision AR's. I thought about changing barrels, worked up loads, etc.  when I finally settled down and shot the rifle properly it gave me several MOA and a 1/2 minute group. Turns out that the difference in my shooting weekly and monthly makes a big difference in how I pull a trigger.  

Focus on pulling the trigger straight back to the grip, work on your breathing and follow through with your trigger until contact has been made. AR's are a different game from bolt guns.
View Quote

Maybe if this is repeated sufficiently it will take.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Should've bought a noveske.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger.

I know it's not a geissele but I had to draw a limit somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's looking that way.

My Marine friend was a 2nd opinion. His shooting mimicked mine.

Which makes me not crazy or both of us are terrible shots.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Here is my rifle:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/AR308_zpsu9lpx9iq.jpg

.308 caliber

Rainier Arms Ultramatch 20" barrel.

Aero M5 upper/lower

AIM surplus nitride BCG

Magpul UBR stock

RRA 2 stage trigger

14" Fortis SWITCH rail (free floating)

Slash's buffer and spring

Primary Arms 4-14x ACSS 30mm scope

I'm getting some great groups then groupings go to shit.

In the pics, you will see a nice 3 shot .25 MOA grouping, then the gun jumps to 3/4 to 1 MOA.

I used Federal Gold Medal Match in 175 and 168gr.

Scope is locked in solid. Bolt headspace a with the barrel.

What's going on?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/90195753-45D1-40B5-925C-C480A3DACC46_zpsprn93i3m.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/A98422BC-CDBC-45CE-BBB6-20F6EAE6596D_zpsdmfjcfbr.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/CD3B997F-44BA-4D54-90D3-88A9FD090B35_zps9zgswiub.jpg

I was having this weird problem happen. I'd get a nice group then another group of the same ammo would fly around. I had my Marine friend shoot it and he had the same problem. He would get a nice group then the next group would go to shit. He made fun of me and said it was probably me shooting poorly, but he got the same results after he shot it.

Could it be the scope? It's the weakest link.
View Quote
What's your twist rate?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You have a 1MOA gun.  1MOA guns throw sub MOA 3 round groups very often.
View Quote
This

My SR25 is a 3/4 MOA gun

When I shoot it its a 1 MOA gun

Shoot is a few weeks from a good prone supported position and

See if it gets better.

Groups arent that bad IMO, if it's your first gas 308 might just take a bit to get

Use to it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is what I was thinking.  If you don't shoot SLOOOOOOW and let the barrel cool thoroughly between groups, you are chasing your tail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hot barrel

I was thinking hot barrel as well. Do you have a lead sled to strap it down to? That would take out most of the possible human error.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU SPENT ALL THAT MONEY ON BUILDING THIS GUN AND DECIDED THE TRIGGER WAS WHERE YOU GOT CHEAP

I'm building the same gun with a different barrel, I know what it cost to build it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What's your twist rate?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is my rifle:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/AR308_zpsu9lpx9iq.jpg

.308 caliber
Aero M5 upper/lower
AIM surplus nitride BCG
Magpul UBR stock
RRA 2 stage trigger

In the pics, you will see a nice 3 shot .25 MOA grouping, then the gun jumps to 3/4 to 1 MOA.

What's going on?
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/90195753-45D1-40B5-925C-C480A3DACC46_zpsprn93i3m.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/A98422BC-CDBC-45CE-BBB6-20F6EAE6596D_zpsdmfjcfbr.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/CD3B997F-44BA-4D54-90D3-88A9FD090B35_zps9zgswiub.jpg

I was having this weird problem happen. I'd get a nice group then another group of the same ammo would fly around. I had my Marine friend shoot it and he had the same problem. He would get a nice group then the next group would go to shit. He made fun of me and said it was probably me shooting poorly, but he got the same results after he shot it.

What's your twist rate?

1 in 10"
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU SPENT ALL THAT MONEY ON BUILDING THIS GUN AND DECIDED THE TRIGGER WAS WHERE YOU GOT CHEAP

I'm building the same gun with a different barrel, I know what it cost to build it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trigger can and will be upgraded later.

This is my 2nd RRA. For how infrequently I shoot, it'll last me a couple years, by then I'll have enough cash to upgrade.

Same with scope.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was thinking hot barrel as well. Do you have a lead sled to strap it down to? That would take out most of the possible human error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hot barrel

Shot 20 match rounds in 2 hours.

It's 95-102 outside, but there was plenty of time between shots to cool.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.  You can't expect 3 round groups to tell you your rifle's capability.  5 at minimum and 10 is better.

For example, I just rebarreled a Winchester 22-250 with a Pac-Nor 3 groove barrel.  I trued up the action, I lapped the bolt, and I shot the following groups while testing loads with neck sized brass fireformed to that chamber.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/92d1a476-fbf1-4ca6-acb2-7ff325bbcf81_zpsjcluguxd.jpg

I shoot those four rounds and I think "holy fuck, homerun."  But I don't stop and say that now I have a .1 MOA rifle.  I shoot the fifth shot.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/de5c78b9-c0a0-41da-886f-40e080915a23_zpsysk3wclu.jpg

Now my .1 group has turned into something more like a .5 group.  But wait, there's more to do.  I'm going to adjust my scope 1" up and shoot another 5 shot group of the same test load.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/a2721eff-4c02-4e25-820a-5df841ff040c_zpsysqec6qq.jpg

Now wait a fucking minute what the fuck?  Right?  That looks like shit.  Well...

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/Capture_zpsk1djqea5.jpg

.492 MOA and .644 MOA respectively.  .568 MOA average.  Can this rifle do better?  Probably.  I have a distinct feeling that it's relatively light weight and heavy trigger are causing me to throw some user error into it.  But of all the loads I tried that day, I know this one is right about the sweet spot.  I still wouldn't call it a .5 MOA rifle.  Not until I see a consistent average of groups that's <.5.  I guarantee that as I shoot this, I'll have many three round groups that look like my first 4 shots.  That doesn't mean it's within the rifle, or my, capabilities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 round groups.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/92d1a476-fbf1-4ca6-acb2-7ff325bbcf81_zpsjcluguxd.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/de5c78b9-c0a0-41da-886f-40e080915a23_zpsysk3wclu.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/a2721eff-4c02-4e25-820a-5df841ff040c_zpsysqec6qq.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/Capture_zpsk1djqea5.jpg

True. However, when testing loads in .3 grain increments, I would reload 5-10 rounds of the tightest group. Then I would make an assessment on the rifle's accuracy.

Still, it's bad if I can't even group 3.

Maybe I should just sell it and buy another bolt, I shot those much easier.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Srsly tho, OP;

Which groups were done with what ammo, and what was the distance shot at?

Simply changing ammo can open or shrink groups.
View Quote

This x 1000
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Take your time, shoot at 100 yards, try several different brands of ammunition, varying weights and shoot 5 groups of 5 rounds or more and you will have a more accurate representation of what your rifle and you as a shooter are capable of.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I shoot good enough.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Shooting .308 gas guns for consistent groups is much harder than a bolt gun so I would give it some more time to get used to the gun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I suggest you get an anti-cant device so you can remove one more variable from the equation. Guns with more recoil are harder to shoot consistently and one aspect of that is the tilt of the gun changes and must be readjusted after each shot.

A few degrees of tilt left or right can make more difference than you realize, especially at 800+ yards

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Also, never shoot the last round in the magazine. Always have a few more in the mag after you finish each group. With the last round there is different friction on the bolt and can cause the bullet to seat harder/softer in the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I shoot good enough.

<a href="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rabidus_/media/Appleseed12_2013_zps6392c568.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/Appleseed12_2013_zps6392c568.jpg</a>
View Quote

Sorry, but that's not that good. I never shot anything but 5s on dog targets at an actual 200M rapid fire, and that's with an M16 that has a crappy trigger and longer lock time than the typical .22 used at an Appleseed. If you can't get all 5s on that target, I wouldn't expect you to shoot sub-MOA groups consistently. As other people have tried to explain in this thread, the AR has a longer lock time and requires perfect form with good follow-through. Practice dry firing, then try again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its all this, I had an LWRC REPR that was an unforgiving bitch to bad form. But when you got your form perfect, it'd shoot lights out. I then decided that semi gas gun learning curve was a bit steeper than i wanted to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you have a 1MOA rifle, and that's a problem?

Sub MOA may mean .999 MOA which for all purposes is 1 MOA.  And that's with the rifle clamped in a vise.  

Since you are not perfect, your groups will on average be > MOA
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ah, kinda figured.

They are completely and utterly unforgiving of poor technique. Your fundamentals must be 100% dialed in when shooting them, especially if it's a lighter version like this one.

I don't believe there's anything particularly wrong with the gun, it's just how they are. They shoot very well, but the learning curve is steep.

I would suggest a lot of dry firing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first big AR.

Ah, kinda figured.

They are completely and utterly unforgiving of poor technique. Your fundamentals must be 100% dialed in when shooting them, especially if it's a lighter version like this one.

I don't believe there's anything particularly wrong with the gun, it's just how they are. They shoot very well, but the learning curve is steep.

I would suggest a lot of dry firing.

Yep. My lmt is a major pita to shoot well and it doesn't like being shot from a lead sled. It must be loaded and driven hard to shoot 3/4-1moa. My 24" 16lb sr25, however, doesn't seem capable of shooting poorly.

Op: mount a bipod, shoot prone, load it consistently,  take a class from a known lr instructor, and I'd bet it can shoot sub Moa.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://mywrx.net/77FGMM.JPG  

Edit: Definately not mine, but to compare.
View Quote

Not too shabby.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry, but that's not that good. I never shot anything but 5s on dog targets at an actual 200M rapid fire, and that's with an M16 that has a crappy trigger and longer lock time than the typical .22 used at an Appleseed. If you can't get all 5s on that target, I wouldn't expect you to shoot sub-MOA groups consistently. As other people have tried to explain in this thread, the AR has a longer lock time and requires perfect form with good follow-through. Practice dry firing, then try again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shoot good enough.

<a href="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rabidus_/media/Appleseed12_2013_zps6392c568.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/Appleseed12_2013_zps6392c568.jpg</a>

Good enough to score rifleman and be in the top 95% of all who attend. I'll take it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#37]
dude, i can hardly tell a difference between any of your groups.. your shit is fine
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Good enough to score rifleman and be in the top 95% of all who attend. I'll take it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shoot good enough.

It's just an Appleseed, and that means precisely jack shit. Like I said, those should all be 5s; it's not that difficult. If you think that target is impressive, sign up for a high-power match. You will be greatly humbled, and also learn a lot. Most high-power shooters are very helpful to new guys. Look, we are trying to help you here, and you don't seem to be listening. Judging from everything you have told us, and judging from the unimpressive results in that picture, the problem is with the shooter, not the rifle. Dry fire at least 500 times, focusing on that follow-through, then try shooting some groups again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#39]
So, 20 rounds downrange and the thing is a piece of junk?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I might have missed it, but how many rounds has the rifle, in it's current form, seen in total?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I might have missed it, but how many rounds has the rifle, in it's current form, seen in total?
View Quote
I'm not one of those fancy precision gun guys, but I feel like this is a very pertinent question.

Don't any "inconsistencies" in the barrel get filled in with the first few rounds?

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#42]
You have a1 moa gun with a barrel that's 1 moa.

What's the problem again?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Also, never shoot the last round in the magazine. Always have a few more in the mag after you finish each group. With the last round there is different friction on the bolt and can cause the bullet to seat harder/softer in the chamber.
View Quote

Data?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Here is my rifle:

<a href="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rabidus_/media/AR308_zpsu9lpx9iq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/AR308_zpsu9lpx9iq.jpg</a>

.308 caliber
Aero M5 upper/lower
AIM surplus nitride BCG
Magpul UBR stock
RRA 2 stage trigger

What's going on?
<a href="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rabidus_/media/90195753-45D1-40B5-925C-C480A3DACC46_zpsprn93i3m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/90195753-45D1-40B5-925C-C480A3DACC46_zpsprn93i3m.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rabidus_/media/A98422BC-CDBC-45CE-BBB6-20F6EAE6596D_zpsdmfjcfbr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/A98422BC-CDBC-45CE-BBB6-20F6EAE6596D_zpsdmfjcfbr.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rabidus_/media/CD3B997F-44BA-4D54-90D3-88A9FD090B35_zps9zgswiub.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/CD3B997F-44BA-4D54-90D3-88A9FD090B35_zps9zgswiub.jpg</a>

View Quote

I would guess if its all in one sitting that the bbl is heating up while you are shooting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Castle nut is probably on backwards.

He's a competent gunsmith!

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Data?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Data?

Just my personal experience for many years. At first I thought it was just my imagination but A few years back I got a Rainer Arms barrel with a badly tight chamber. I shoot 175g SMK FGMM and as usual I loaded 1 extra round into the magazine, but after firing a 5 round group and manually trying to extract the extra before I headed down range I kept pulling the bullet from the case and spilling powder all in my chamber. Sometimes it happened sometimes it didn't and heat was not a factor.

For example hitting the bolt release on a round and trying to extract was the easiest. Firing a round and trying to extract often left the bullet lodged in the barrel and powder in my chamber.

The bolt slapping home at different speeds or forces .etc could mean the difference between a bullet being slightly pushed back into the case or the metal just conforming to the grooves. This could cause different pressures.

Rainer replaced my barrel no questions asked. This is an exaggerated example of the theory I've had for years, so I say better safe than sorry. Obviously not an issue for a bolt gun.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Statistics are a bitch.

While I was on vacation one year, an outdoor writer called for me at Speer and ended up transferred to our quality department. His question was a great one: “What is the least number of shots fired in one group that gives me high confidence that the whole batch is accurate?”

A PhD statistician went to work, applying all the classic statistical methods to the questions. Even if I could, I won’t attempt to document his work here, but the number he derived was seven. “Doc” was able to demonstrate a jump in statistical confidence level between a five- and a seven-shot group that was remarkable.

...Next time you believe a three-shot group will tell you a batch of 500 handloads is accurate, stick your hand in your pocket and remember the coin-flip test.

Allan Jones' "Statistics Is Not A Dirty Word"
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I woke up this morning thinking about this thread

I don't know squat about precision shooting. The only thing that comes to mind is that the Lyman reloading book mentions cleaning the gun really frequently to get the most out of it. IIRC it said some guys clean it every seven rounds or so on the extreme end.

Could be voodoo magic, though...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I woke up this morning thinking about this thread

I don't know squat about precision shooting. The only thing that comes to mind is that the Lyman reloading book mentions cleaning the gun really frequently to get the most out of it. IIRC it said some guys clean it every seven rounds or so on the extreme end.

Could be voodoo magic, though...
View Quote

But those are probably the guys who replace their barrels after 300 rounds.

Unless you have a bore, bullet, powder combo that fouls the poo out of it, 250-500 rounds isn't a bad interval. Leaving a little fouling may not yield the absolute smallest group, but more consistent groups. Some guys in the PR section go up to ~1000 rounds or "when accuracy drops" before cleaning.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm one of those guys. No cleaning until accuracy degrades.

I'm still interested in knowing how many rounds the rifle has seen.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top