User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bullshit.

Russia has reportedly under 2000 strategic ready warheads. Reducing that by DOD/GOV scare spending over estimations we have 1500. Reducing that by Russian Bullshitting we have 1000.

We will say the Russians have 1000 strat-warheads ready to roll. Not sure if yall are tracking the state of Russian weapon and aircraft maintenance, but lets say that they ONLY use missiles, as we could probs drop their planes. I'll give them 500 operational missiles. How many of those will fail to fire? How many of those will fail to hit their targets? How many of those will fail to detonate, or detonate at the incorrect altitude to be effective? Even with an 80% success rate (super lucky by Russian standards, or even U.S. standards) that's 400 missiles.

Lets say they shoot five to ten at each primary target. Target the pentagon, Langley, congress, DIA/FBI/NSA/etc. Camp David, whatever. Whatever they have left is going to missile silos and maybe naval bases.

Better off just pummeling the head and making sure you get it done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on who the war is with.

If it's the Russians, and unlimited, no one survives, saturation bombing would leave the USA uninhabitable.

Back in the old days they had at least 100 nukes targeted at just the North West part of Montana.

According to these guys there are 17,000 nukes in the world.

Assuming they are all B-61s is very optimistic, but not knowing any better specifically, I'll assume it.

According to this guy A B-61 is good for about 100 sq km of scorched earth and 180 sq km of charred earth.  That guy sounds like he doesn't like nukes, so if anything he's overstating the damage.

So it sounds like there are enough nukes in the world to burn up 3 million square km or about 1 million square miles.

There are 3.5 million square miles in the United States.

So if somebody takes the anti-nuke groups numbers (probably more destructive than reality), and spends five minutes putting them together, there are not enough nukes in the world to burn the entire United States once, let alone the entire world five or ten times.

Bullshit.

Russia has reportedly under 2000 strategic ready warheads. Reducing that by DOD/GOV scare spending over estimations we have 1500. Reducing that by Russian Bullshitting we have 1000.

We will say the Russians have 1000 strat-warheads ready to roll. Not sure if yall are tracking the state of Russian weapon and aircraft maintenance, but lets say that they ONLY use missiles, as we could probs drop their planes. I'll give them 500 operational missiles. How many of those will fail to fire? How many of those will fail to hit their targets? How many of those will fail to detonate, or detonate at the incorrect altitude to be effective? Even with an 80% success rate (super lucky by Russian standards, or even U.S. standards) that's 400 missiles.

Lets say they shoot five to ten at each primary target. Target the pentagon, Langley, congress, DIA/FBI/NSA/etc. Camp David, whatever. Whatever they have left is going to missile silos and maybe naval bases.

Better off just pummeling the head and making sure you get it done.
The main reasoning in not cutting of the snakes head is you might lose the ability to have them stop the war, our subs will keep taking out targets for a long time, they also have support subs that can reload the main attack subs for years.

We have top secret bases too, not just russia

We have secret support sites also

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
if the folks are at their town house, then they don't make it--too many MM silos.  if they're at the country house (our BOL), they're OK given the prevailing winds.  between preps and available forage, they shouldn't have problems.

i won't be a blast casualty, but i'm dead downwind of dallas.  on the fringe, so as long as i'm aware of the attack, i shouldn't have too much trouble with evac.  my preps are a mess though--it would take me at least a half-hour to get the car loaded, when it used to be about 10min.  then i have to make the trip north.  this takes me near several big targets: witchita falls (mil base), denver area, and SLC area.  that's a routing problem, and a fuel problem.

but about my only nuclear prep is a couple of bottles of potassium...and my NBC mask.  i'm probably fucked.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You're either trolling or crayon eating hungover right now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]

You ever see the old silos in atlantic highlands?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd rather be vaporized than survive that.
View Quote
Not me, I want life and have planned for it, well at least a year forward anyway

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No.

No, you don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to factor in over a certain amount of nukes detonated on earth in a short amount of time can kill the planet, cause a nuclear winter, no govt (maybe iran) is going to kill the planet, they kill themselves too

No.

No, you don't.

Why?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 10 minutes driving from StratCom, so I imagine I would have a couple nano seconds to say " Hey, what's that noise........"
I worry more about an EMP than a full scale nuke war.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The 1815 Mount Tambora eruption was calculated at about 800 (yes, EIGHT HUNDRED) megatons of energy released in a single explosion.

And yet we're still here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know what a nuclear winter is?

It's a planet destroying scenario, if we detonated over 300 large nukes it's going to blot out the sun and kill us all (molst)

Thats why short of iran getting hundreds of nukes no one is going full retard

The 1815 Mount Tambora eruption was calculated at about 800 (yes, EIGHT HUNDRED) megatons of energy released in a single explosion.

Yep, but it wasn't global, globally we would send much more material into the atmosphere, it would block sunlight if 1000 large nukes hit globally  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep, but it wasn't global, globally we would send much more material into the atmosphere, it would block sunlight if 1000 large nukes hit globally  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a planet destroying scenario, if we detonated over 300 large nukes it's going to blot out the sun and kill us all (molst)

300, 1000, "experts".

lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
You drunk this early in the day?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been pretty insanely hung over.

I've never been hung over enough to eat crayons.

That would be impressive.

And is also my guess between the two options.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're wrong
Those sub launched nukes in combined force can annihilate both china & russia
You are forgetting one big giant thing
Uk launches ICMBs at who ever attacks us, because they are next in line
Canada launches seconds later, France waits 10 minutes but also backs us up (no choice they are all next)
There are other powers that would also launch against who ever attacks us, India should and they would take out pakistan too

View Quote

No nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
300, 1000, "experts".

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

300, 1000, "experts".

lol
Yeah I saw that, 300 in the USA blocks the sun  here, 1000 they said blocks it out worldwide, for how long who knows

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No nuclear weapons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're wrong

Canada launches seconds later, France waits 10 minutes but also backs us up (no choice they are all next)

There are other powers that would also launch against who ever attacks us, India should and they would take out pakistan too

No nuclear weapons.

Yeah I saw that, ok substitute Israel

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're wrong

View Quote

What is Canada launching? Poutine?

NM, been addressed...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#16]
i for one do not want to be a survivor of a gtnw. Plz God let me be killed in the first strike. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You ever see the old silos in atlantic highlands?

View All Quotes

Nope.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I got Raytheon and TI in my neighborhood, I'm toast.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i for one do not want to be a survivor of a gtnw. Plz God let me be killed in the first strike. Thank you.
View Quote

i've heard this attitude expressed before, and i just don't understand it.  IMO, it's quitter talk.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If we ever do end up playing Global Thermal Nuclear War, do you survive the initial attack?
View Quote

If you live near a major city you can assume you're sitting on a  bulls-eye
You could randomly be blown up because of some accident that drops a nuke intended for elsewhere on top of you
I don't trust all of these missiles that sit in silos and tubes for years on end to all fly as intended to the designated target without incident

I figure it'll be like one of those multi-car pile ups you read about during snow or fog in that once the cars have started hitting you might only have the option of hanging on for the ride and trying to not do something stupid that'll get you killed before the dust settles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Im toast. I can stand on my roof and see MacDill Air Base (SOCOM) . Nothing but around 5 miles of water between.
View Quote

Me too.

Moved from Boeing country next to a Nike site.

I guess I need to start planning my moves according to GTNW...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a cite for this?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the you tube videos with nuclear physicists giving a narration on what happens if x amount of warheads detonated world wide, so no I don't have a cite on that.

No one really disputes a nuclear winter can happen, I guess the real argument is how many it really takes.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the guy i trust on these matters is limaxray, and IIRC, he's extremely confident that nuclear winter is not a global existential threat.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in the middle of nowhere. If something big hit, I'd be far enough away to think to myself "Hmm, what the fuck was that?"
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm an old fart who'd be among the first to go. We joked about it in the '60s, so...

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You're wrong

View Quote

PLEASE tell me my comedy detector is broken and you're trolling.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No nuclear weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're wrong

No nuclear weapons.

Actually, had them until 1984.  The Manhattan Project was a cooperative effort between the US, Great Britain, and Canada, and NORAD nukes weren't limited to US aircraft.

Wiki knows all.

But still doesn't change the insanity that is jrzy's post.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No one really disputes a nuclear winter can happen

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Meh...a big flash
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#31]

As someone who had to sit in traffic for two hours on Friday evening in order to make it home through NYC, I can conclusively say that unless I can get access to a boat, I would be royally screwed.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Possibly. I live in a place that would probably be nuked, and I work at a place that would probably be nuked.

So unless it happens on a weekend when I'm at the range, I'll probably become a ghoul.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One of the you tube videos with nuclear physicists giving a narration on what happens if x amount of warheads detonated world wide, so no I don't have a cite on that.
No one really disputes a nuclear winter can happen, I guess the real argument is how many it really takes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.  

Once again...do the math on the % of the world (197 million square miles) affected by 2200 1MT nuclear weapons.  Your answer lies therein.  

I'll wait.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

the guy i trust on these matters is limaxray, and IIRC, he's extremely confident that nuclear winter is not a global existential threat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You RC.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#35]
This...is...awesome
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This...is...awesome
View Quote

No, it sucks.

We haven't had a single delicious recipe yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I live in the middle of nowhere. If something big hit, I'd be far enough away to think to myself "Hmm, what the fuck was that?"
View Quote

Me too.

But with my luck; something aimed at SLC would veer off several hundred miles north and land on my new cabin......
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Exercise for the student:

Using my link, calculate the # of square miles affected by 2200 weapons, with the following assumptions:

- Assume 1Mt yield.  (That's REALLY high, for a lot of reasons.)
- Assume 1:1 targeting, not the actual 2:1 or higher needed to ensure probability of kill.
- Use blast radius figures, as it's the longest-reaching effect.  

Then calculate the % of the total US area that equals.  (BTW, it's 3,794,083 square miles in the US, not 3.5M.)

I'll wait.
View Quote

I'll play:
1Mt:
Air blast radius of 7.2 km (most things are wrecked)
Air blast area of 162 sq km
2200 warheads = Most things are wrecked in an area of 360,000 sq km*
The size of California is 423,000 sq km.
If you don't waste nukes in Death Valley or the other barren deserts in the state, there are barely enough nukes in the world to break every Californian's house and maybe kill them, once
A pretty far cry from turning the entire world into a nuclear wasteland ten times, but I guess you could nuke the entire I-5 corridor twice.  Sometimes I'd like to

*Some of you might not know this, but radii (plural of radius) are circles.  After you put the circles down like polka dots, you can't just break up a blast area and fill in this gap and that gap in different places.  You just get another circle and if it overlaps the previous one you can't count it twice in real life.  So 360,000 is really optimistic

Edit: I meant to write another post and really messed up this one instead.  Oops.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, everybody who lived through that is dead.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
GD, horse shoes and hand grenades and nukes: Close enough is close enough
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#41]

I do.  
Once again...do the math on the % of the world (197 million square miles) affected by 2200 1MT nuclear weapons.  Your answer lies therein.  
I'll wait.
View All Quotes

I do.  
I'll wait.
Yeah because volcanic ash in one location is the same as nukes going off all over the world.
Stop wasting my time, you think you're right prove it or don't , now wait where ever you want.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I think when one is dropped on  Tel Aviv it will be game on and soon after game over. I have zero concern for those over there but think that's where it starts and ends. Just a dumb fl  crackers thought.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah because volcanic ash in one location is the same as nukes going off all over the world.

Stop wasting my time, you think you're right prove it or don't , now wait where ever you want.  

View Quote

Read your first sentence, think long and hard about how nuclear weapons are delivered (hint:  ground bursts aren't optimal in all cases), go back and look at the weapons calculator I posted, and you'll see why the sarcasm in your first statement is well-placed, but not in the way you think it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, it sucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This...is...awesome

No, it sucks.

NO GREEN CURRY RECIPES!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, you're embarrassing yourself. "Nuclear winter" is something Carl Sagan pulled out of his giant, stretched out, liberal ass. It was not, isn't, and never will be "science" in any imaginable sense of the word. It's bullshit scaremongering.

These men aren't going to sit here and waste time tracking down reams of journal articles in order to provide some anonymous yahoo on the Internet with "proof" that he's bought into something stupid. Do your own research and you'll see how dumb the idea is. The fact that you believe in "nuclear winter" proves you've never done any serious research on nuclear weapons.

"Experts." lol.

Nobody is trying to insult you. I'm not saying YOU are dumb, but you believe in a concept that is dumb and completely untrue. You're free to believe what you want, but you're hideously wrong.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This...is...awesome

No, it sucks.

They need to let you out more often. Green Curry is delicious.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
but you're hideously hilariously wrong.
View Quote

I FTFY, but agreed otherwise.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#48]
90 miles to Oak Ridge national laboratory
50 miles to nuclear power plant
10 miles to a different nuclear power plant

Not looking good. If we got to the BOL, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This...is...awesome

No, it sucks.

The last time I had curry, I fought it for three days. NO CURRY!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This...is...awesome

No, it sucks.

We had Nepali cooks at one of the Messhalls on KAIA who converted me into liking Green Curry.

Still don't like yellow curry.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top