User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2015 2:06:51 PM EDT
You don't hear much of serial killers anymore
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they're just slicker now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
There are thousands of murders/missing persons cases that go unsolved every year.

I'm thinking the majority of serial murder cases that get solved are the low hanging fruit kind.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
you still hear about it from time to time.. I mean before the last decade how common were serial murders?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you still hear about it from time to time.. I mean before the last decade how common were serial murders?
View Quote

Since the beginning of society...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
At first I was "a TV reality show had serial killers on it"

I think they don't brag on social media about it and do it in places with out all the cameras
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe they're just slicker now.
View Quote

+1

Adapting, learning not to leave tell-tales.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably because there are bigger threats these days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Would Son of Sam or anyone else be able to get away with it in today's world
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
No, there have been several news stories lately on the various news sites talking about a bunch of murders possibly being the work of a serial killer.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Just think about all the TV shows telling us how other serial killers were caught.  They would just have to do some cursory research and they would become even more difficult to catch.

But, they still get caught but I think they get less publicity now days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Serial Killers don't fit the political agenda or media narratives.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
You only hear about the ones they catch, or the ones that want to taunt the police or gain notoriety.

It's damn hard to catch a killer who kills randomly, and has no other connection with the victim, other than the murder.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#15]
It is pretty hard to do anything without being under surveillance, CCTV's, street cameras, toll cameras, parking lot cameras, etc
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Didn't some prostitute just shoot one last week?

There is also some town that has a bunch of drug addict/whore types missing, I forget where, it was posted here

Oh and there were all those bodies floating around Long Island a few years ago
View Quote

Yep, and they're trying to determine whether he was responsible for a string of killings in chillicothe, OH, but last I knew, they weren't sure. I`m willing to bet the answer to OP`s question is no.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is also some town that has a bunch of drug addict/whore types missing, I forget where, it was posted here

View Quote

In the Seattle area body parts keep showing up every year on the beaches.  They are out there but they have adapted and are becoming harder to catch.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#18]
they used to say there were several active at any one time, but seems they only bring it up now when one is caught.

my stepdad worked for one, he was the boss at his job and would take off all the time, liked to kill hookers and they had been looking for him, he was pulled over in Texas and shot. This was in the 80's sometime I think.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are thousands of murders/missing persons cases that go unsolved every year.

I'm thinking the majority of serial murder cases that get solved are the low hanging fruit kind.
View Quote
This. They usually have severe mental issues (aside from being homicidal).

When you think your dog tells you kill people, you got more issues than being a murderer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Unless it's an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil white man killing poor hyphenated-non-Americans, you won't hear about it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Jesse Matthews is a recent one.  Of course the MSM doesn't want to cover a black guy raping and killing women.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#22]
There are probably 50, maybe 100 or more, active in the USA right now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Would Son of Sam or anyone else be able to get away with it in today's world
View Quote
Son of Sam didn't get away with it.  The question is how fast can they be caught.

Random murders with no records will always be hard to figure out if there are no witnesses.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Just like the constant evolution of weaponry vs. defense, one side always holds an edge for a time.

Forensic pathology and psychology turned the tables on serial murderers the late 80's.

Maybe they've just adapted until the next big advance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]
No. Just weeded out the amateurs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I believe the FBI estimates 40-50 or so at anytime in the US

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just think of all the potential clients you are missing out on because they haven't been caught
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It is pretty hard to do anything without being under surveillance, CCTV's, street cameras, toll cameras, parking lot cameras, etc
View Quote

The "hunting grounds" have probably been diminished, but still exist.  There's a lot more surveillance, but it's not everywhere.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rocky Mount, NC  

Quoted:

Most were found buried.   Still haven't caught that guy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Since we aren't prosecuting illegals anymore the number of serial killers will grow.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#32]
They're still out there.  When I went to the FBI seminar on serial killers back in the '80's, they said at any time there were 20 out there, making the circuit around the country by car, bus, rail, plane.  Someone here took the same class recently and now the FBI says there are around 200.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You only hear about the ones they catch, or the ones that want to taunt the police or gain notoriety.

It's damn hard to catch a killer who kills randomly, and has no other connection with the victim, other than the murder.  

View Quote

This. And the smart serial killers are going to target the "disposable" people of our society, the street people, prostitutes, runaways, people who are already "invisible" to most of us. Nobody is surprised when people in these circumstances disappear completely or turn up dead, and no great effort is made to really solve any mystery of these deaths, for the most part. I think there are more serial killers out there these days than we would imagine.

A serial killer who targeted celebrities, or crooked judges, or politicians, or anyone among our "people who matter" classes on the other hand, would be the cause for a huge media push to catch such a depraved monster, and no expense would be spared to hunt him down. It's all about our priorities as a society.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#34]
there are serial killers like those that we see on the TV shows.
Then there are just people who kill people, more than once. No "trophies" or "rituals", just death. The government is importing them over the southern border every day.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I think ever since the media switched their chokey-strokey subject from serial killers to mass shooters we don't see many news stories about the former, but we see egregious coverage of the latter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In the Seattle area body parts keep showing up every year on the beaches.  They are out there but they have adapted and are becoming harder to catch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's like Darwinism and evolution applied to serial killers. Now we are left with only the best, most capable serial killers.

Excellent.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]
We had one get caught up here like 3 years ago, he had a body count of at least 3 confirmed, Israel Keys. .  He figured out that the cops likely had a Chevy truck on CCTV tape leaving the latest kidnapping but he simply added a used pipe rack to the back and welded it on so it looked like it wasn't his truck.

Coworker actually had thanksgiving dinner with him and has a photo of him and 8 other ppl at a normal looking thanksgiving dinner, about 18 months later he got caught after breaking his pattern and robbing a victim of her debit card and pin code instead of only cash. Said "he was a pretty normal guy I guess, was just really quiet".

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#39]
The government/media shifted from that bogeyman a looong time ago. Went from serial killers to terrorists. There's no money to be made in serial killers any more.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This.  Unless it's an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil white man killing poor hyphenated-non-Americans, you won't hear about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anthony Sowell was a black serial killer here in Cleveland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Sowell

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only killings that have staying power are white men who use guns and can be spun into some sort of right-wing motivation.

Remember that white guy who shot the Muslim students a few months back? Media thought their wildest fantasies had come true until it was discovered he was a Liberal atheist. The story vanished overnight and we didn't even end up banning any flags because of it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Everyone has a big fuckin look at me mouth now and cant shut up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I am saying. They have always happened but truthfully how Common are they. We remember the big ones but how more prevelent were they before in regards to ops question about modern surveillance stifling them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#44]
FBI thinks there are at least 2 or 3 long haul truckers working lot lizards right now.

The reason you don't hear much about the killers until they're caught is because their victims aren't anybody society really cares about.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So it's like Darwinism and evolution applied to serial killers. Now we are left with only the best, most capable serial killers.

Excellent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#46]
There are a bunch of active serial killers. You dont hear about them maybe because talking them up gets them agitated to kill more; who knows. The smiley face guy is particularly freaky, if thats actually really a serial killer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#49]
FBI estimates between 35-50 in the US, other estimates as high as 100.

I think advances in forensics science and information sharing in LE have helped catch a lot early. Those that are still active may have adapted.

I'm sure if the DOJ wanted an expanded budget we'd start hearing about them A LOT.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about that guy from Springfield? The chic he tried to kill managed to kill him instead. The cops found "serial Killer" preps with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top