Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/2/2015 1:43:45 PM EDT
.. asshole. Final Exam tomorrow and I have to deal with this BS.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]

E
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not going to work it for you but that doesn't look too bad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Child's play

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude is an asshole, who has kids these days?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, Mom and Dad, we will need about 10 grand for her senior year, assuming that the federal government continues compounding it's level of fuckery  semi-annually over the next 87 quarters.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Bud, you don't have to deal with it.  You choose to deal with it.......

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
That's not difficult. And it is useful to know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
In before you get smacked down by the guys with asshole thermo professors.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Why is he an asshole? Because the ROI has lots of digits that you have to enter into the calculator?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Isn't that kind of projection the sort of thing you would actually have to do in business finance?

Learn how to set it up on your calculator.

Or you could become a marketing major like everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol.  That's a lot of words, but once you isolate the info you need it doesn't seem too difficult.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Perhaps Political Science would be more your speed.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#13]
For extra credit tell him how much to say to mom and dad "it's paid for don't worry about it"
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Aerospace engineering here.

I would've murdered babies for an easy ass question like that on a final.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a hard problem for you?

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is he an asshole? Because the ROI has lots of digits that you have to enter into the calculator?
View Quote

lol. If the dudes as big of a dick as mine he gets to figure out the majority of it with charts etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Seriously? First quarter MBA finance class had a take-home final. Expected work period was a minimum of 15 hours, just to assemble the ledger and post transactions. The actual questions started after that.

Quit whining.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Business finance is reading comprehension and applied mathematics.  It amazes me that it doesn't qualify as a math course for a teaching certificate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Liberal arts major?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#20]
He's optimistic about the rate of return.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you even Time Value of Money Bro?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Easy problem.

The only thing I don't like is the long rate of return, and that's from my days teaching Calc in college.

One of the things our department head taught me... you want to grade them on their math, not on them fat-fingering the calculator.

You figure out quick that fat-fingering and what she called the 'Minus sign demon' (where a negative number in one line suddenly becomes positive in the next) are the two most common errors made by people in higher math.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I've figured it out, the guy is an asshole because his exam questions are all 3+ formulas deep.

You have to solve for Present Value (PV) of Tuition = $10,867.63.

Then solve for the Effective Annual Rate (1+.082537184698/1)^1/4 = 2.00247409%.

Plug that into a Financial Calc and get the PV of your 84 x $230 deposits growing at 2.00247409% with a Future Value (FV) of $0 = $9,313.78.

Then you take the difference between the PV of Tuition and subtract it by the PV of your deposits, $10,867.63-$9313.78 = $1,553.85.

Then you have to take the PV of your shortfall and get its future value by plugging it back into the Financial Calc, PV of $1,553.85 at 21 years and 8.2537184698% with a FV of $0 = $8,216.90 = C!

That's 5 different problems/formulas in 1.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Holy shit.
View Quote
Do the math than smart ass.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Write "apply for student loans" below the problem.

High level math blows.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit.

I'm not doing his math test question for him.

I already got my degree, so ......
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Holy shit.
View Quote

Lets see you get this one Mr Smarty pants

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Seriously? First quarter MBA finance class had a take-home final. Expected work period was a minimum of 15 hours, just to assemble the ledger and post transactions. The actual questions started after that.

Quit whining.
View Quote

I'll be whining about next year when I start my MBA.

My current GPA is 3.67 with 3 classes left, including this one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit.

These are just practice questions, go ahead and answer the one I gave you. I already have the answer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've figured it out, the guy is an asshole because his exam questions are all 3+ formulas deep.

Plug that into a Financial Calc and get the PV of your 84 x $230 deposits growing at 2.00247409% with a Future Value (FV) of $0 = $9,313.78.
Then you take the difference between the PV of Tuition and subtract it by the PV of your deposits, $10,867.63-$9313.78 = $1,553.85.
Then you have to take the PV of your shortfall and get its future value by plugging it back into the Financial Calc, PV of $1,553.85 at 21 years and 8.2537184698% with a FV of $0 = $8,216.90 = C!

View Quote

He`s an asshole for asking plug and chug calculation questions? What should the questions be like instead?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Aerospace engineering here.

I would've murdered babies for an easy ass question like that on a final.
View Quote

This. Im a business manager with zero education beyond highschool. My background is working as a welder. If you gave me that problem when i was 12 i would have struggled a bit. 13? Easy son.

You wont find many calculations in business that only require one formula and thats it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#32]

He's an asshole, but gives a question on his final about BJ Industries?  Looks like there's @ least one other way to pass the course, OP.  

ETA:  And I think BJ Industries needs to fire their CPA for not depreciating the Air Grinding machine.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
He`s an asshole for asking plug and chug calculation questions? What should the questions be like instead?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't mind 1+2=3
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I take it your professor is a gigantic hippy
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's been a while since I've done this kind of stuff, but I don't understand how this could be that difficult. All you have to do is know how to set it up correctly. That's the only hard part.

Regardless, good luck on the final OP.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I take it your professor is a gigantic hippy
View Quote

My tutoring company.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

A calculator and 10 minutes.   What the fuck OP?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer the 2nd question.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

These are just practice questions, go ahead and answer the one I gave you. I already have the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit.

That first question is easy.  I'm also not a MBA type.  Here's a hint.  You need to figure out the effective interest rate, over 2 different periods.  The rest is just adjustments.

You may want, and believe, that the prof is an asshole.  It honestly doesn't matter.  Your emotional outlook to getting your degree is immaterial.  Being able to pass his class IS material.

YOU need to be able to do the work, not I.  I also am not going to, nor believe that I must, prove it to you.

Additionally, YOU thinking that making me prove or not prove that I can do this particular math question (and hoping that I make a fool out of myself) will change the fact that what I said is irrelevant.

if you cannot calculate this question, you should not be in business.  because that's what business does.  it's what you want to do.  

So you can either complain about it, or you can do the fucking work.  Calling me out in order to feel morally superior and be able to reject what I am saying.....is immaterial.

If you want me to do this question, answer me mine.

What is the logical process for ecological restoration of a smelter site that is in the mountains, has 3 different ecotones, and was smelting zinc?

How much would it cost?  What species of plants would you use, how much seed of each species, why would you select each species you chose?  How much would the costs be, by product.  What would be the expected time frame for your plan to lead to a restored system?

Because that's MY field.

And by the way, I got a 100% on that paper.  From a nationally recognized name in the field of ecological restoration.  But go ahead, try and feel morally superior to someone who isn't even in business.  

And then try to question the validity of my claim.  Just so that what I said has no meaning, to you.  

Your prof may be an ass.  Who cares.  Stop focusing on that.  Your anger will only prevent you from getting your goal, or at least make it harder.  Me proving I can do YOUR work, proves not a fucking thing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm really glad to be done with my MBA. Not a fan of even trying to care what a "beta" is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That first question is easy.  I'm also not a MBA type.  Here's a hint.  You need to figure out the effective interest rate, over 2 different periods.  The rest is just adjustments.

You may want, and believe, that the prof is an asshole.  It honestly doesn't matter.  Your emotional outlook to getting your degree is immaterial.  Being able to pass his class IS material.

YOU need to be able to do the work, not I.  I also am not going to, nor believe that I must, prove it to you.

Additionally, YOU thinking that making me prove or not prove that I can do this particular math question (and hoping that I make a fool out of myself) will change the fact that what I said is irrelevant.

if you cannot calculate this question, you should not be in business.  because that's what business does.  it's what you want to do.  

So you can either complain about it, or you can do the fucking work.  Calling me out in order to feel morally superior and be able to reject what I am saying.....is immaterial.

What is the logical process for ecological restoration of a smelter site that is in the mountains, has 3 different ecotones, and was smelting zinc?

How much would it cost?  What species of plants would you use, how much seed of each species, why would you select each species you chose?  How much would the costs be, by product.  What would be the expected time frame for your plan to lead to a restored system?

Because that's MY field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit.

Because that's MY field.

So what you're saying is that you're a know it all with a paid off house, car and a model wife.

But when you have to put your money where your mouth is you're just going to deflect and throw out stuff that's completely unrelated and proclaim moral superiority?

Got it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

But when you have to put your money where your mouth is you're just going to deflect and throw out stuff that's completely unrelated and proclaim moral superiority?

Got it.

View Quote

If that's the only message you took from what I said, you are going to have a very hard life.

I get nothing from doing that work for you.  I get nothing for showing you the steps.  Nothing.  Why should I spend my sunday proving something to someone who can't even get past his emotional state?  Just so that I can say "told ya so."
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I'm really glad to be done with my MBA. Not a fan of even trying to care what a "beta" is.
View Quote

Me neither, this is my emotional roller coaster.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If that's the only message you took from what I said, you are going to have a very hard life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Got it.

I've got a pretty nice life thank you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

If that's true, you wouldn't be so concerned with your prof.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got it.

Why don't you lighten up Francis?

I'm simply venting about an exam tomorrow that I have been cramming for all weekend. The prof has questions that are 3+ formulas deep, where my last Finance Professor, that I took a few years ago while finishing my IT Management Degree only had 2+ formulas.

You read a single post and apparently know my entire life and how I'm going to live it. Lighten up.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm simply venting about an exam tomorrow that I have been cramming for all weekend. The prof has questions that are 3+ formulas deep, where my last Finance Professor, that I took a few years ago while finishing my IT Management Degree only had 2+ formulas.

You read a single post and apparently know my entire life and how I'm going to live it. Lighten up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

You called ME to the mat.  Then you tell me to lighten up?  You started this.

I'm telling you something you need to learn.  You are wasting time that you could be using to learn how to do your work, the work that is demanded of you, on emotional, tribal bullshit.

If you really wanted to pass the class, you would have never posted the thread, canned your outrage, and learned the damn material.  That's my point.  

Looking for someone else to tell you which formula to use, the order of operations, or the key....that's a shortcut.  He's already told you how to do it, there's a book, etc.

Stop  looking for the easy way, because once you are doing this stuff for real, that's what you are going to have to do.  College is just a proving grounds.  It's not the be-all, end all of your learning.  That's why employers want a grad.  Because they know how to figure things out on their own, conquer their rage, and do the work.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

If that's the way you see it, then you're going to have a very hard life.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
Volatility of a stock

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you were hounding me with the word "deflection."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top