Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2015 5:05:01 AM EDT
I have a young family renting the house next door. Fella in his early 20's with a wife and young son. He's a hard working likable fella. I mowed his lawn once while I was mowing mine. I've lent him tools, gave him a DVD for the kid & the wife has bought Avon from his wife a time or two. When I was sick several times he's mowed & weedeated my place and won't take a penny in compensation. This past Friday I was mowing and he was in his back yard so I shut my mower down and we talked for a while. When I tryed to start my mower it wouldn't start so he said he would look at it. We pushed it over to his place & I told him to let me know what I owed him for fixing it.
Frau Hessian & I were tied up most all day away from home. When we arrived home this evening I saw my neighbor driving my mower over from his place. It looked & ran like a new mower! He changed the oil, cleaned it up, adjusted everything, fixed the starter, and mowed & weedeated my front & back yards! When I asked him how much, he showed me a reciept for some oil & parts and said "$40." He wouldn't take any money other than for the parts.
I told him I'd help him build an AR.
I figured with all the screwed up neighbor threads we've experiencing lately I'd share some news about a good guy!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I was trying to find a way to implicitly gloat that my only neighbors are ungulates, but it came off as unnecessarily pretentious...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My neighbor gave me a riding lawn mower that wasn't working. I changed the spark plug, oil, air and fuel filters, battery, and it runs great. Best $120 I ever spent. It drains the battery when parked (reason he gave it to me), but I just disconnect the red wire when I'm done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#3]

My neighbors don't interact with me at all.

I consider that ideal.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
my neighbor offers me free weed

edit- he's a welder and knows I go to school for chemical engineering and wanted me to write him up plans for a cook set to make cannibutter on a larger than normal scale

needless to say I declined and MMOB
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Neighbor on one side of me is a super guy. Plows my driveway every time it snows, and helps me with computer stuff that I can't figure out. I give him ammo that I get from the LGS where I work.  Neighbor on the other side hasn't said a word to me in nearly 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Borrow tools, and watch his dogs for extended periods. Keep a eye on his family while he is gone. He does the same so yeah, some neighbors are good. The neighbor on the other side is decent but more one sided so I could care less.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I consider that ideal.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:35:30 AM EDT
[#8]
At one time this behavior was the norm, even leading to the term "neighborly" to describe it.

Not so much anymore.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a young family renting the house next door. Fella in his early 20's with a wife and young son. He's a hard working likable fella. I mowed his lawn once while I was mowing mine. I've lent him tools, gave him a DVD for the kid & the wife has bought Avon from his wife a time or two. When I was sick several times he's mowed & weedeated my place and won't take a penny in compensation. This past Friday I was mowing and he was in his back yard so I shut my mower down and we talked for a while. When I tryed to start my mower it wouldn't start so he said he would look at it. We pushed it over to his place & I told him to let me know what I owed him for fixing it.

Frau Hessian & I were tied up most all day away from home. When we arrived home this evening I saw my neighbor driving my mower over from his place. It looked & ran like a new mower! He changed the oil, cleaned it up, adjusted everything, fixed the starter, and mowed & weedeated my front & back yards! When I asked him how much, he showed me a reciept for some oil & parts and said "$40."

I told him I'd help him build an AR.

I figured with all the screwed up neighbor threads we've experiencing lately I'd share some news about a good guy!
View Quote

This is GD, so fuck that.  He just pissed on your leg, so you need to piss on his twice as much.  Cut down one of his trees, split it and stack it for him.  Then you will be one up again, where you belong.

All seriousness, that is great.  I think that the decline of neighborhoods and everyone shutting themselves in and not giving a shit about the community around them is one of the things that is really causing the decline in this nation.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I was shooting my scar 17 in the back yard and my neighbor drop on his PC grabbed his rifle and came out to check on things
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought I had a cool neighbor that let me park in her spot when she goes out of town.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#13]
It's hard to find great neighbors anymore in my neighborhood nothing but private lives or tight wads who are afraid to speak. We had a family move in across the street and the son's car wasn't starting so I offered to help to get it started the father popped off with this rude remark ''You probably don't have any Automobile Technology'' knowledge like I do I nicely replied with I guess four years of Automobile Technology in High School didn't count I walked off and went home. I can't stand people like that! His daughter is very nice she waves to me and ask for help when she needs some help with her car or comes over to see what I am doing or putting together for my father.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I live on the edge of a town right up against farms and woods. We live on a circle so it sees no through traffic. The lots are a little bigger and houses more spaced out.

Still.......it's not how I'm used to living. I've always been very rural.

However, because of the neighbors I have, it makes it really nice. The "circle' gets together twice a year for a big sit down family style dinner twice a year after a group event like golf, etc. Everyone is super cool, been here forever and keeps their homes very well, the grass is always cut and edged, cars are always washed. It was almost creepy to me at first.
If you ever need a hand, it's there. They always know where to find one as well. We lend each other tools and generally help each other out. Neighbors on one side go away to FLA now in the winter. I take care of their driveway usually before their kids can get over. They take us out to nice dinners. Same when I spray their lake home for bugs. neighbors on the other side are very quiet, but if I'm out and I see he's away on biz, I take care of his driveway too. Usually she'll walk over with a pie and a thanks.

I have to say it's kind of nice. If it wasn't as it is, I would have easily moved to more of what I'm used to a few miles away on some more acreage with no neighbors.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Good neighbors getting harder and harder to find
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Good story, OP.

My neighbors are cattle. I really don't know if I could live next to people again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]
My one neighbor is pretty good. When my wife went into labor she would feed my 3 dogs and let them out in the morning and at night, when she has gone out of town my wife has fed her cats. She has saved me from being locked out of my house and vice versa since we both have keys to each other's house, and she is relatively quiet. The are other things that we have helped each other with as well.

The neighbor across the street is sort of sketchy, but overall he is a good guy. We've talked, but haven't really done much in the way of doing favors for each other.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I live in an awesome neighborhood.  I mow my neighbors lawn just to the north of me.  She is an old lady and her yard is the size of a postage stamp.  Takes we 5 minutes even with trimming.  My neighbor to the south is just awesome as well. He is a welder and made some heavy duty trading wheels for my 7 yr old who is having troubles learning to ride a bike.  And then he helped me fix a loose shingle on my 14/12 , 3 story , wood shaked roof.  I bought him a bottle of ciroc vodka.  He is just a cool guy to shoot the shit with.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#20]
We only have one house near ours.  Its about 100 yards away and the next closest is across the road and 1/4 mile away.  We get along great.  We have 4 kids and they have 3.  We are always carpooling the kids to sports and watch each others animals when the other goes on vacation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#21]
In before neighbor <insert transgression here>.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#22]
My immediate neighbors are alright.  We bullshit occasionally, keep an eye out for each other, usual stuff.

The neighborhood is on the decline as the old people die and their children sell the houses to rental companies, so we're going to be looking for a place in the country soon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I consider that ideal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I stay out of my neighbors' business, they stay out of mine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#25]
My little corner of the world is a quiet residential street.
I'm surrounded primarily by educators and a couple of retired folks.
We stop and talk at the mailbox or if we are out in the yard and a neighbor walks their dog or jogs by.
We watch the neighbors houses while they're out of town
The street is bracketed by a spiritualist camp that's rarely a problem and a small old folks home at the other end of the street
There's talk of a section 8 complex being built on vacant land at the other end of the street that has the neighborhood concerned.
All in all its a better neighborhood than most I've lived or worked in.
I was very lucky to find this place last year
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#26]
All my neighbors are gay but good people and friendly for the most part
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#27]
the only close neighbors I have is one right across the street and the house next to them, both of them are retirement aged. The couple across the street are on the run a lot but are easy to get along with when they are home. They used to invite us over for all the parties they have but quit when we never came, we're just not much into going to parties.  We do invite the neighbors and another couple we both know over for supper before the neighbors leave for Arizona in the fall. The widowed lady next to them I rarely see outside.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#28]
So you owe the guy $40, but offer help building a rifle, instead of the $40 you owe him?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I have the best neighbors ive ever had. The guy on the left of me is a taxidermist,retired USCG Rescue Swimmer. The guys across are 5 recent USCG Academy grads and behind me is the Naval Special Warfare Training Detachment ( Seal). The whole place is like that. 100 yards from the ocean.I really love this neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to the annual neighborhood barbeque Tuesday evening.  Bring something to grill and a side dish to share.  Face painting, water balloons and a piñata for the kids.  I found a nice place to buy a house two years ago.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I helped my neighbor when a microburst came through and put a giant tree down in his driveway.  He was struggling with his little chainsaw, so I used my backhoe to push it out of the way so he could get to work.

He helped me out by calling the cops on me because my hay field sprinklers sprayed on the road.  

Thanks

Glad you have a cool neighbor OP
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I got lucky and am essentially surrounded by good neighbors.  Sorry to those that don't.  We watch each others kids, cook out, mow each others lawns, fix each others cars, etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had neighbors like that on both sides until this summer.  We hung out, worked on cars together, took care of each other's garbage cans, mowed lawns, shoveled driveways, reroofed, etc.

Now I have white trash on one side who give my 11 year old daughter the finger when she says hi to them, park their cars on the lawn, haven't mowed since they moved in three months ago (they stopped watering so now it's all dead) and their backyard smells like it is 1' deep dog shit.

Another family moved in the other side a couple of weeks ago.  Seem really nice so far.  Taking some cookies over tonight so they can meet the rest of my family.

View Quote

I'm so damaged as a person if anyone ever did that to me I'd burn their house down for trying to poison me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Neighbor on m left is a gearhead....with some cool cars, he has been known to mow my front yard from time to time, came over with his chain saw and helped me buck up the huge cherry tree we took down....Good guy. Neighbor across the street, younger guy with a couple of very young kids, does small engine repair...and works out of his garage, which allows him to keep an eye on the neighborhood...watched my place while we were on an extended vacation..Good guy.

further into the cul-de-sac are the folks whose kids have stolen packages off my porch [can't prove it unfortunately] and have been nothing but rude to my wife and I since we moved in...and then there's the guy who sees no issue with letting his dogs use everybody else's yards as a bathroom....or the jokers with their free range cats.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I consider that ideal.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Had a neighbor that lived close once.  He was a really nice and cool young dude, few years older than me.  He gave us all sorts of wild critter food such as deer sausage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Awesome OP! My neighbor reported me to the city once when I parked my Kenworth in my own driveway for about 30 minutes so my wife and I could load out. So now I let my dogs shit in his yard!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Awesome OP! My neighbor reported me to the city once when I parked my Kenworth in my own driveway for about 30 minutes so my wife and I could load out. So now I let my dogs shit in his yard!
View Quote

Lol I like how positive the tone of this post is.

Like you have a really shitty neighbor, but you're also just really pumped to  get even with him.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm so damaged as a person if anyone ever did that to me I'd burn their house down for trying to poison me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another family moved in the other side a couple of weeks ago.  Seem really nice so far.  Taking some cookies over tonight so they can meet the rest of my family.

I wouldn't go that far but the food would go right in the trash after they left.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice.  I have great neighbors.  Good on you OP.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I wouldn't go that far but the food would go right in the trash after they left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Like you have a really shitty neighbor, but you're also just really pumped to  get even with him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, ain't it great! I noticed his flowers are wilting pretty bad in one spot, I think it might be the Maltese favorite spot to go!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taking some cookies over tonight so they can meet the rest of my family. [/span]

My neighbor on one side of me routinely bakes cookies etc and brings them over
At Christmas everyone on the block was walking up and down the block delivering various treats to their neighbors
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#47]
My neighbor in front of me died. The neighbor behind me moved. I'm just waiting to see what the neighbors on either side of me come up with.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Kid that moved in beside me 2 years ago is a hard worker, and helped me take down a dead tree this summer.  I mowed his lawn for him for 2 weeks while he was at Annual Training.  
Everybody pretty much minds their own business, but when someone needs help, they all chip in.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I have great neighbors, All retired.
Two worked in aerospace, one is a retired sheriffs deputy.
Hardly ever see any but the closest ones.
I fix their stuff. Borrow tools, he helps me when I need to buck up a tree. Use his trailer to haul stuff.
I even used his truck to haul stuff, until I totaled it hitting a deer.
The wife will pick up my grade schooler and watch her after school when we need it.
They were happy I wasn't driving my econ o box Honda when I hit the deer.
Weren't even mad I wrecked the truck and let me handle the insurance claim.
Oh, I should mention they are my parents so I do get a bit of a pass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#50]
There dag shats morn on my lawn then there lawn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top