Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2015 9:54:02 PM EDT
I'm thinking not too well. Weak government, no sense of nationalism and patriotism, the inability to convert all factories across the country into wartime production. Would we even be better at intelligence? Technology is much more advanced but we were able to crack both the Japanese and German code back then.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't know there was a country fair, but I'd expect there to be some fighting. Not sure if it'd get up to the scale of WWII though.

Or did you mean fare?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't know there was a country fair, but I'd expect there to be some fighting. Not sure if it'd get up to the scale of WWII though.

Or did you mean fare?

View Quote

You know what I mean
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd suspect that it'd go nuclear pretty quick. And not because of us, or our allies.

If the players were the same, at least at the start, I can't see why Iran or the norks wouldn't try and do some sort of sneaky false flag type BS. In the end, we'd still kick the shit out of everyone, but it'd be a much nastier fight.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
it would need something to tie it together, a lot of people joined up after 9/11 . However we did not see loss rates like anything in WWII. Sadly we could be in that state as the ruler wants to cut the armed forces down to almost nothing.  Politicians never seem to learn the lessons from the past.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
 Glenn Miller >>>> Taylor Swift

In fact, on of the main reasons we won ww2 is that Glenn Miller >>>> Wagner.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Pajama boy says hi.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
modern us military vs ww2 axis? or modern us vs modern former axis?

either way, we would win
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I like to be around when they hand out the ration books and the FSA get extra because of their childrenz.

I wonder how many of them would seek work in expanding war industries?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Since our side has lost the stomach for total war i would say we would do poorly until the people in charge got there nerve back. Imagine invading Germany with the ROI we have now.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since our side has lost the stomach for total war i would say we would do poorly until the people in charge got there nerve back. Imagine invading Germany with the ROI we have now.

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Laugh all you want. But if you want to make the other side stop that shit, this works.

10 years in Iraq didnt.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
#NormandyInvasionAtOmahaBeach
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Obama war bonds?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Laugh all you want. But if you want to make the other side stop that shit, this works.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1994-041-07,_Dresden,_zerst%C3%B6rtes_Stadtzentrum.jpg

http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/g_l/levine/bomb/nag2.jpg

10 years in Iraq didnt.

http://journal-neo.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ISIS-truck-convoy-Anbar-Province.jpg

The European bombing campaign didn't really phase the germans

Which war have we been in post 1945 that could have been won with nukes?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pajama boy says hi.
View Quote

This.

We're fucked.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
also consider that there were some battles in WW2 where we had more casaulties in 1 battle than we had during the entire Iraq war.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#17]
We would have to close the mineshaft gap quickly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1994-041-07,_Dresden,_zerst%C3%B6rtes_Stadtzentrum.jpg

10 years in Iraq didnt.

http://journal-neo.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ISIS-truck-convoy-Anbar-Province.jpg

I've never thought of war in terms of Return on Investment.  He's laughing b/c you meant ROE instead of ROI.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

10 years in Iraq didnt.

Korean War.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#20]
We would win, instantly. The Germans would be too busy protesting their government and making electrogoth music to fight. The Japs would be too busy sniffing used schoolgirls' underwear to fight.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Wir würden uns sehr gut ab und werden eine gute Ergänzung für das Vaterland!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
By military strength?  I don't see an issue.  

As a country?  Sacrifice is not known nor would be embraced.  Soldiers would have to do without chocolate and bananas this time around, and doubtful there would be another Rosie the Riveter.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I remember my parents telling us  about riding the merry to round with ration stamps
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've never thought of war in terms of Return on Investment.  He's laughing b/c you meant ROE instead of ROI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

10 years in Iraq didnt.

Haha, good point. But to be fair, we did see a pretty good ROI because since every other country had their industries destroyed, we didn't. Certainly helped us economically after the war

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wir würden uns sehr gut ab und werden eine gute Ergänzung für das Vaterland!  
View Quote

Scheiße, ich kam hierher, um einen Kommentar auf Deutsch, aber Sie schlugen mich darauf.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is what the media would say

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
We have an institutionalized defeat party today
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#28]
The key difference is that then, many people who were drafted were better fed, clothed and bedded than they had been.  And in the Army and with the war opportunity was found.

See the difference?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#29]
In the 40s were not so enlighten by multiculturalism and did not see the world so nuanced to know "you cannot kill your way to victory"
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We have an institutionalized defeat party today
View Quote

We would lose terribly
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#31]
WW II we didn't care about collateral damage.   We bombed French ports to destroy U-boats or deny the facilities to the Germans.  We bombed rail yards, destroyed bridges and killed a lot of French civilians.

We also do not have the industrial capability we once have. How's that Free Trade/Outsourcing working out for y'all?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Can you imagine all the FSA going for deferment to avoid the draft........
I have to pick up the welfare check for my family so I cant serve....
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Sacrifice is not known nor would be embraced.  Soldiers would have to do without chocolate and bananas this time around...
View Quote
I can just imagine how the present day American population would react to rationing.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Most of those things are irrelevant. Conventional war happens too fast for industrial production rates to matter - that's been an axiom since the late Cold War. Carpet bombing was not a highly effective technique we shrink from today, it was a crude and ineffective attempt to compensate for horrendous inaccuracy. Cipher cracking is a joke. Either you get a side-channel attack working, or you fail - the encryption itself, so long as it's executed by anyone save total morons, is unbreakable without universe-sized computers.

Then there's patriotism. A multimegaton nuke doesn't give a fuck about the precise decibel level of Americlapping in the masses. It fries True Burgerlovers and dirty hippies all alike.

ICBMs changed the game. Even lasers can't change it back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't think total war is possible these days.  Too many people would be crying out from the left think of the children or think of the inocents.

Unless something changes I doubt we will fight another war against another countries army because they're not invading us and we're not invading them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#36]
We would lose. This country no longer has the key ingredients to win a war of the magnitude of WWII.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't think total war is possible these days.  Too many people would be crying out from the left think of the children or think of the inocents.

Unless something changes I doubt we will fight another war against another countries army because they're not invading us and we're not invading them.
View Quote

Sort of like after world war II amphibious operations were not possible

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like to be around when they hand out the ration books and the FSA get extra because of their childrenz.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3524/3728337566_e1ca229cb4_z.jpg?zz=1

View Quote

Cut the EBT.
When they say WTF.
We say get a job to help the efforts or get a rifle to help the efforts.

Wat yous thinks thay be dooin?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got their nerves back?

I don't think so.

More like if we lose I well be hanging from a rope shot  while standing at pole.
That is what will motivate them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Most of those things are irrelevant. Conventional war happens too fast for industrial production rates to matter - that's been an axiom since the late Cold War. Carpet bombing was not a highly effective technique we shrink from today, it was a crude and ineffective attempt to compensate for horrendous inaccuracy. Cipher cracking is a joke. Either you get a side-channel attack working, or you fail - the encryption itself, so long as it's executed by anyone save total morons, is unbreakable without universe-sized computers.

Then there's patriotism. A multimegaton nuke doesn't give a fuck about the precise decibel level of Americlapping in the masses. It fries True Burgerlovers and dirty hippies all alike.

View Quote

This about sums it up. We're not geared toward industrial warfare anymore. That's not a slight against US manufacturing. We just don't need that kind of capability anymore, not with nukes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This about sums it up. We're not geared toward industrial warfare anymore. That's not a slight against US manufacturing. We just don't need that kind of capability anymore, not with nukes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem is no one on the US side will use nukes. No one has the political minimals to do so, not in time anyway.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
WW1 was supposed to be impossible as well.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't get the question.  

Are you asking about our willingness to engage in a long-term Industrial conflict?  If you are, I'd ask you to consider how the rest of the world has changed over the last 70 years also.

Perhaps no one  wants to do that shit anymore.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Gm was kept open just for infrastructure reasons.

We have 11 carriers  vs four in 1941
The Lexington and Saratoga were obsolete in 1941

We would btfo the Jap fleet with carriers and subs  then nuke Iwo Jima this time.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#45]
With our media, academic and intellectual circles; we will never win another war.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say it was unpossible, I'm saying its unlikely.

As far as amphibious landings, we're not doing them on the same scale that they were in WWII.  The last major landing I can think of is Inchon.

The only difference now would be AAAV's and LCAC's (I'm sure I'm missing something).  I don't see them storming a beach unless it was cleared out by bombs first.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Cut the EBT.
When they say WTF.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3524/3728337566_e1ca229cb4_z.jpg?zz=1

Cut the EBT.
When they say WTF.

Enriching the country with their vibrant culture.

Or rioting they're kinda the same thing though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I'm thinking not too well. Weak government, no sense of nationalism and patriotism, the inability to convert all factories across the country into wartime production. Would we even be better at intelligence? Technology is much more advanced but we were able to crack both the Japanese and German code back then.
View Quote
We could skip right to the canned sunshine in the Pacific Theater, so that'd probably help.  

Actually having China on our side for a change wouldn't be too bad either.  

The Krauts could probably forgo the actual conquering of SE Europe and just buy them out.    

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We would lose. This country no longer has the key ingredients to win a war of the magnitude of WWII.

View Quote

We would win easily if the question is today's USA/Russia'France/China against today's Germany/Italy/Japan.

We wouldn't need to put boot one on the ground.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#50]
The allies won the war due to America's ability to out produce its enemies.
America had the ability to out produce its enemies because it had a huge amount of idle industrial plant and equipment.
The nation does not have that excess industrial capacity today. It could not support and equip the number of people it had in the military during WWII. It certainly could not support the people in allied nation's military establishments (and their civilians as well) the way it did in WWII.
Today the U.S. would lose a war involving mass armies.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top