BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Man I wish Longbranch would have made a #5 MK I. I'll bet it would been beautiful if their #4s are anything to go by..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That thing they are looking to replace the #4s with does not look like it would carry worth a shit.

The sharp edges on the mag would poke at you. If no scope was installed that rail would grab on stuff. What, are you supposed to carry it those fancy cases all the time?

A #4 carries like dream with a good two-point sling and damn near everything is rounded-off. Hell you could just slide it in a gun sock and go not to mention the canvas action/muzzle covers have been available since WW-2. Hell I even have C/Arrow marked ones myself.

They failed with the "better mousetrap".

Yeah, it doesn't look that appealing to me, either.  If I had the choice, I'd probably choose the No. 4, although I'd rather have a No.5 for that role.  Either in 7.62mm would be even better.

Man I wish Longbranch would have made a #5 MK I. I'll bet it would been beautiful if their #4s are anything to go by..

The Canadian lightweight Lee-Enfield was even lighter than the No. 5 IIRC and allowed for a more conventional, one-piece stock.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I want a fucking Longbranch on the cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Canadian Firearms Act prohibits the transfer of government property firearms to licensed firearms businesses or the public.

This came up when they slated the Hi Powers for replacement.

Despite the reforms to firearms laws they have implemented, the Conservatives have expressed no desire to do this.

As it stands now, unless they amend or replace the Firearms Act, the Ranger Enfields are slated for destruction.

Hey, back in the 80's the Army sold off a bunch of FN C1's to the OPP.

OPP switched from 7.62 NATO to 5.56 Mini 14's and sold them off to licensed firearms businesses who sold them to F.A.C. holders.

Canadian LEA's would routinely sell off/trade in issue handguns, shotguns and rifles to dealers when upgrading. Offset the cost of replacement to taxpayers. Got a sweet Colt SP1 back in the day from my local PD.

Then came Bill C-68 in 1995. That put a stop to that, according to the UN plan.

And its still law, even under the "pro gun" Conservatives.
I
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fuck the rifle.......see that dudes mustash? That fuckin impressive
View Quote

The French made a statue of him to memorialize his fantastic stache....

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is a custom made piece... also the spare mags are a personal thing too. Enfields were never meant to be loaded and treated like that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting that in the pic of the guys on the line, the guy using the Enfield also has spare mags ready to go. I'd like to find out what belt he has that's modified, or is that actually a regular item among the Rangers?
It is a custom made piece... also the spare mags are a personal thing too. Enfields were never meant to be loaded and treated like that.  
Yep, exactly why I was curious about that. I'm well aware of the manual of arms of the Enfield, so that whole setup he has was new to me. Since you seem to have knowledge, do you have a link or further info on Ranger TO&E? Were you a Ranger up there?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Canadian lightweight Lee-Enfield was even lighter than the No. 5 IIRC and allowed for a more conventional, one-piece stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That thing they are looking to replace the #4s with does not look like it would carry worth a shit.

The sharp edges on the mag would poke at you. If no scope was installed that rail would grab on stuff. What, are you supposed to carry it those fancy cases all the time?

A #4 carries like dream with a good two-point sling and damn near everything is rounded-off. Hell you could just slide it in a gun sock and go not to mention the canvas action/muzzle covers have been available since WW-2. Hell I even have C/Arrow marked ones myself.

Yeah, it doesn't look that appealing to me, either.  If I had the choice, I'd probably choose the No. 4, although I'd rather have a No.5 for that role.  Either in 7.62mm would be even better.

I can see why it was experimental. That sporter butt pad would not have lasted long and it's real thin in the wrist. In harsh conditions "lightweight" is not all it's cracked-up to be.

Wonder why they were using a gas mask pouch strap as a sling? I've seen it done on 42MB trainers but they are a bit too lightweight for a battle rifle, lightweight or not.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Rigger made. Looks like he stitched two issue web belts together at intervals for mag spacing, then laced the bottom shut with paracord through the hanger grommets and then put bungee cord through the top hangers for retention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting that in the pic of the guys on the line, the guy using the Enfield also has spare mags ready to go. I'd like to find out what belt he has that's modified, or is that actually a regular item among the Rangers?

Rigger made. Looks like he stitched two issue web belts together at intervals for mag spacing, then laced the bottom shut with paracord through the hanger grommets and then put bungee cord through the top hangers for retention.
Yeah, looks like two Pattern 82 Equipment Belts made into a waist bandoleer.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw a couple of the Canadian Rangers in Watson Lake BC last time I drove through there. Real nice people, at least the two I talked to.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This isn't VA in August. Sharp edges won't matter when you're wearing 4 layers and a parka.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OPP switched from 7.62 NATO to 5.56 Mini 14's and sold them off to licensed firearms businesses who sold them to F.A.C. holders.

Canadian LEA's would routinely sell off/trade in issue handguns, shotguns and rifles to dealers when upgrading. Offset the cost of replacement to taxpayers. Got a sweet Colt SP1 back in the day from my local PD.

I
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Canadian Firearms Act prohibits the transfer of government property firearms to licensed firearms businesses or the public.

This came up when they slated the Hi Powers for replacement.

Despite the reforms to firearms laws they have implemented, the Conservatives have expressed no desire to do this.

As it stands now, unless they amend or replace the Firearms Act, the Ranger Enfields are slated for destruction.

I

I was 13 in 95
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am glad they are including a trigger lock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I feel safer, don't you?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This isn't VA in August. Sharp edges won't matter when you're wearing 4 layers and a parka.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS....I doubt any self-respecting Ranger would even want to carry that abomination around if they could have a "like new" #4 instead. Besides I don't think they would like their parka ripped-up by that rifle poking at it.

You would think that since the Rangers really like the #4 some effort would have been put into providing them with a new rifle in kind instead of "here's a square peg, let's fit it that round hole".

I guess crony capitalism in small arms procurement is alive and well in America's Hat too.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yep, exactly why I was curious about that. I'm well aware of the manual of arms of the Enfield, so that whole setup he has was new to me. Since you seem to have knowledge, do you have a link or further info on Ranger TO&E? Were you a Ranger up there?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me, a Ranger? LOL!

I'm Cuban, not Canadian. I just find the Canucks interesting and the Rangers even more so.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I can see why it was experimental. That sporter butt pad would not have lasted long and it's real thin in the wrist. In harsh conditions "lightweight" is not all it's cracked-up to be.

Wonder why they were using a gas mask pouch strap as a sling? I've seen it done on 42MB trainers but they are a bit too lightweight for a battle rifle, lightweight or not.

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/cgnmilsurpknowledgebase/cdnlbno4light/IMGP0352.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/cgnmilsurpknowledgebase/cdnlbno4light/IMGP0352.JPG

With a better butt plate or butt pad and a modern synthetic stock I think it would be better, though.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

temperatures in the far north regularly dip to -50. would you want a semi auto rifle for those conditions, especially one that your life depends on? I'd take the bolt rifle without any hesitation. and iron sights too, please and thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why on earth are they still using bolt guns in a caliber that a semi-auto is available in.  Not to mention wood stock.  WTF.
LOL.

In.

temperatures in the far north regularly dip to -50. would you want a semi auto rifle for those conditions, especially one that your life depends on? I'd take the bolt rifle without any hesitation. and iron sights too, please and thank you.

lol....the Russians think you are silly and your lack of classically trained firearm engineers a travesty......

Here is Vladimir Putin hand feeding a Russian Tyrannosaurus Rex at -70 C....he thinks buying rifles for extreme cold weather
use from the United States is silly and you should have bought Tigrs.......

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top