Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2015 9:21:02 AM EDT

According to  Ottawa Citizen

"The possibilities are to give them (to the Rangers) or to sell them to the Rangers at a (discount),” Maj. Carl Gendron, deputy project manager for the Ranger Rifle project, told Defence Watch.

"There is a strong feeling among the Ranger community that they would like to retain those rifles, mainly for the symbolic value of it. Quite often they have been in the family for generations, handed down from father to son. We hope the Rangers will be able to acquire them. How exactly we don’t have the guidance yet.”

"We have asked for guidance from the government on that,” Gendron added.

So will the rest of the Lee Enfields be made available for sale to the public, perhaps through surplus dealers? No one knows at this point. There are an estimated 3,000 to 3,500 such rifles still left in army stocks, according to the Army.

"We still have cadets that still use them,” explained Gendron. "So it doesn’t mean that the rifles will be available to be bought. We’ll need to figure out what will be the consumption in the Army."

Here is the new rifle that will replace the Enfields.

The Canadian Rangers require a hunting rifle for survival and self defence against large North American carnivores at ranges of 0 metres to 300 metres. Currently, the Rangers use the Lee Enfield No. 4 to meet these requirements but the age and the scarcity of parts for this weapon will soon make it very difficult if not impossible to maintain, according to the Department of National Defence and Colt Canada.

Because of that the New Canadian Ranger Rifle (NCRR) system is being purchased to replace the Lee Enfields.

Here are the details provided in an information sheet supplied to Defence Watch by Colt Canada:

The NCRR will be used by CRs while patrolling some of the most remote regions of coastal, central and northern areas of Canada. The temperatures will reach as high as +39C with moderate to high humidity along coastal and forested regions and as low as -51C in arctic regions. For those CRs located in coastal areas, it is likely that the NCRR will be exposed to long term salt laden air and water. The NCRR will be transported by the CR on foot, wheeled commercial vehicles, skidoos, sleds, small boats and all-terrain vehicles. It must remain operable during and following exposure to these environments.

Program Overview

The Government of Canada and the Department of National Defence with Colt Canada, under the Munitions Supply Program (MSP) will replace the original Lee Enfield rifle fleet with a commercially available hunting rifle. The replacement will be a bolt action, calibre .308 Winchester, magazine fed rifle. Ancillary items, such as a hard transport case, soft transport case, sling, cleaning kit and trigger lock for each rifle will be procured at this time.

Prototype rifles have been delivered to the Rangers and will undergo user trial evaluations from now till the end of 2015. Production of 6500 or more rifles is expected to commence in mid-2016 with a completion mid to end 2018.

Equipment Suppliers

Rifle: 1. The replacement rifle is based on the SAKO T3 CTR (Compact Tactical Rifle).

SAKO Ltd is based in Riihimaki, Finland.

The Canadian supplier is Stoeger Canada from Whitby, Ontario.

The first 125 prototypes have been delivered to Canada and they will undergo User Trials by the Rangers. Feedback from the Rangers will be incorporated into production rifles.

Colt Canada will produce the barrel, bolt and receiver under licence from Sako. Production is scheduled to begin mid to end 2016.

The Ranger Rifle has several Canadian modifications.

a) Larger bolt handle and enlarged trigger guard to accommodate gloved hands.

b) Protected front and rear iron sights.

c) Laminated stock in unique orange or red colour with Ranger Crest.

d) Two stage trigger with three position safety.

Ancillaries: 1. Pelican hard transport case with Ranger Crest and custom moulded

internal foam supplied by Pelican Products ULC, from Edmonton, Alberta.

Cleaning kit, sling and soft transport case supplied by Rampart International, from Ottawa, Ontario.

Trigger lock supplied by The Old Co-Op, from North Gower, Ontario.

Colt Canada is the officially appointed Strategic Source and Centre of Excellence for Small Arms to the Government of Canada. Registered in the province of Nova Scotia, and with its manufacturing facility located in Kitchener, Ontario, Colt Canada provides full support to all small arms -ranging from 9mm pistols to .50 calibre heavy machine guns- in the Canadian Armed Forces inventory.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope they sell it to the Rangers cheap.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
First Nations peoples should keep this rifles.

I think Harper will be cool with this.

Trudeau?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm hoping they will sell me one cheap.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#5]
We have epic beard man, Canada has epic mustache man.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda got mine....

Savage made that was reworked by the Brits and then surplused through Canada.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Kinda got mine....  

http://i.imgur.com/TRHJNld.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda got mine....  

I really want a Savage No. 4 Mk1.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
That would be cool.

eh
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Badass! Hope they get to keep them. The Rangers seem to be a hardcore group and the family tradition thing is really cool.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
YFW the Lee Enfield really is the best bolt-action military rifle ever made.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm cool with either option.

Although I would be really cool with them selling them at large. I want a Longbranch no4 so bad
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Thread needs more Long Branch No.4 Mk1*

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Longbranch No4 Mk1 Enfield. Nice gun.

Longbranch factory

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Can't help but think that the Enfield would be a better rifle than that Colt/Cooper abortion. I'm really surprised they didn't go with the Ruger GSR, it seems to me that it would be a better survival rifle.

I'm sure they have their reasons, I just hope it's because of wanting the best rifle and not as a way to keep Colt afloat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
That's what they get for selling off all their Longbranch #4s (many like new) while they were still in use.

1944 example.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I am glad they are including a trigger lock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting that in the pic of the guys on the line, the guy using the Enfield also has spare mags ready to go. I'd like to find out what belt he has that's modified, or is that actually a regular item among the Rangers?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda got mine....  

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Why on earth are they still using bolt guns in a caliber that a semi-auto is available in.  Not to mention wood stock.  WTF.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Why on earth are they still using bolt guns in a caliber that a semi-auto is available in.  Not to mention wood stock.  WTF.
View Quote
LOL.

In.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck the rifle.......see that dudes mustash? That fuckin impressive
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can't help but think that the Enfield would be a better rifle than that Colt/Cooper abortion. I'm really surprised they didn't go with the Ruger GSR, it seems to me that it would be a better survival rifle.

I'm sure they have their reasons, I just hope it's because of wanting the best rifle and not as a way to keep Colt afloat.
View Quote

Did you just say Ruger rifles are better than Sako rifles?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Canadian Firearms Act prohibits the transfer of government property firearms to licensed firearms businesses or the public.

This came up when they slated the Hi Powers for replacement.

Despite the reforms to firearms laws they have implemented, the Conservatives have expressed no desire to do this.

As it stands now, unless they amend or replace the Firearms Act, the Ranger Enfields are slated for destruction.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Canadian Firearms Act prohibits the transfer of government property firearms to licensed firearms businesses or the public.

Despite the reforms to firearms laws they have implemented, the Conservatives have expressed no desire to do this.

As it stands now, unless they amend or replace the Firearms Act, the Ranger Enfields are slated for destruction.
View Quote

I want a fucking Longbranch on the cheap.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

They work better under the conditions expected.

And they're going to miss the Enfields.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might be tarded but I thought these were Colt branded Cooper rifles? I must have missed where Sako had anything to do with this project.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I might be tarded but I thought these were Colt branded Cooper rifles? I must have missed where Sako had anything to do with this project.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is a "Cooper" rifle?  I can't think of any production rifle that he or his estate would have approved to have his name attached to it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LOL.

In.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.

In.

temperatures in the far north regularly dip to -50. would you want a semi auto rifle for those conditions, especially one that your life depends on? I'd take the bolt rifle without any hesitation. and iron sights too, please and thank you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

temperatures in the far north regularly dip to -50. would you want a semi auto rifle for those conditions, especially one that your life depends on? I'd take the bolt rifle without any hesitation. and iron sights too, please and thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.

In.

With the metal shrouded in as much wood as I can get away with.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Canada wanted the GSR but wanted Ruger to hand over the rights to the government like the US Mil does with the the M16, M249, and other weapons. Ruger said no. Canada said either the design is handed over and Colt Canada is allowed to build it or no buy.

They already have a bad dealing with Canada with the SAR M77. The Canadian Government fucked them over on the deal.

They took the specs and had Colt Canada make the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Interesting that in the pic of the guys on the line, the guy using the Enfield also has spare mags ready to go. I'd like to find out what belt he has that's modified, or is that actually a regular item among the Rangers?
View Quote
It is a custom made piece... also the spare mags are a personal thing too. Enfields were never meant to be loaded and treated like that.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Frozen tundra that jams Semi Autos and makes polymer crack do to extreme cold.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We have epic beard man, Canada has epic mustache man.
View Quote

I might have to start a new religion based on that chap.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It is a custom made piece... also the spare mags are a personal thing too. Enfields were never meant to be loaded and treated like that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's faster to change the mag than to load two stripper clips.  The feed lips just take a beating that they can scarcely afford.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's faster to change the mag than to load two stripper clips.  The feed lips just take a beating that they can scarcely afford.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that why people don't generally carry spare mags?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also think the forward lug (if one can call it that) would wear out quickly with frequent usage like that.  The magazine is also not good at retaining the cartridges when out of the weapon as it was not designed for that.  The magazine is designed to be removed for ease of cleaning, maintenance, and repair, and that's it.  Loading with chargers can, IME, be accomplished very rapidly.  The magazine release on the Lee-Enfield isn't exactly the fastest to use.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For this purpose I'd  take a controlled feed open top mauser action over that Sako action in a heartbeat. Sako and Tikka bolts are not as smooth as a mauser and I would not trust that action for positive ejection in that climate in an emergency.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rigger made. Looks like he stitched two issue web belts together at intervals for mag spacing, then laced the bottom shut with paracord through the hanger grommets and then put bungee cord through the top hangers for retention.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What is a "Cooper" rifle?  I can't think of any production rifle that he or his estate would have approved to have his name attached to it.
View Quote

Ummmmm.... COOOPER RIFLES
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Montana company. The owner supported Obama in 2008 if I remember correctly and I think the company canned him.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't hold the rounds securely either but yes, the fairly precise alignment of the two tabs at the front of the mag is essential to reliable feeding.  They're prone to bending out of place and they do wear out over time so in the beat to fuck surplus world they're a fairly common source of trouble.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Sell them to the Rangers for $10.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. They make the M2012 for Colt and it's my understanding that they make all of Colts bolt rifles. So is this Enfield replacement the same way or is it a Sako? I know precisely nothing about bolt guns so I can't really identify rifles by the look of the action.
Fudd guns
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#45]
edit: others already answered
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep. They make the M2012 for Colt and it's my understanding that they make all of Colts bolt rifles. So is this Enfield replacement the same way or is it a Sako? I know precisely nothing about bolt guns so I can't really identify rifles by the look of the action.
Fudd guns
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fudd guns

Those Tikkas are damn nice rifles... they should serve them well.

I sure as shit hope they get to buy/transfer the Enfields out to them. That's a lot of history to cut up
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Montana company. The owner supported Obama in 2008 if I remember correctly and I think the company canned him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I've never heard of them, although the fact that they don't appear to sell anything I'd be interested in buying probably has something to do with that.

Honestly, I think the Rangers are one of the only examples of a military force for which a scout rifle as Jeff Cooper conceived it, perhaps in some martial dress [like the No.5, which has pretty much all of the features of a scout rifle (irons only was acceptable per his definition) plus a flash suppressor, bayonet lug, and charger loading], is the most appropriate weapon, or even a medium scout rifle (i.e. medium bore, full-power cartridge).
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#48]
That thing they are looking to replace the #4s with does not look like it would carry worth a shit.

The sharp edges on the mag would poke at you. If no scope was installed that rail would grab on stuff. What, are you supposed to carry it those fancy cases all the time?

A #4 carries like dream with a good two-point sling and damn near everything is rounded-off. Hell you could just slide it in a gun sock and go not to mention the canvas action/muzzle covers have been available since WW-2. Hell I even have C/Arrow marked ones myself.

They failed with the "better mousetrap".
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That thing they are looking to replace the #4s with does not look like it would carry worth a shit.

The sharp edges on the mag would poke at you. If no scope was installed that rail would grab on stuff. What, are you supposed to carry it those fancy cases all the time?

A #4 carries like dream with a good two-point sling and damn near everything is rounded-off. Hell you could just slide it in a gun sock and go not to mention the canvas action/muzzle covers have been available since WW-2. Hell I even have C/Arrow marked ones myself.

View Quote

Yeah, it doesn't look that appealing to me, either.  If I had the choice, I'd probably choose the No. 4, although I'd rather have a No.5 for that role.  Either in 7.62mm would be even better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, it doesn't look that appealing to me, either.  If I had the choice, I'd probably choose the No. 4, although I'd rather have a No.5 for that role.  Either in 7.62mm would be even better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man I wish Longbranch would have made a #5 MK I. I'll bet it would been beautiful if their #4s are anything to go by..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top